Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Is there anything that has the same eerie wrongness of House of Leaves but doesn't have the footnotes that take you out of the story by being rambling drug fueled rants? House of Leaves I want to like you but the Johnny Truant story has stopped be every time. And I've been assured I can't just skip it because it's important, but I don't care about him

I've been slowly going through the books that pop up in this thread and House of Leaves is the first one I really don't get.
What really kill it for me is the fake intellectual rambling more than the Johnny Truant part though.
It felt like such a boring drag to slog through for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm a sucker for good exploration log SCPs and liked The Sick Land a lot. What should I read next ?

e:

a foolish pianist posted:

Seems like Annihilation will be your sort of thing.

Thanks, will do

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 13, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Did Kathe Koja write anything noteworthy beyond The Cipher ?

Trying to top-up an amazon order by looking at reviews for her other books, but then people in the comments seem to mostly dislike The Cipher, which is obviously a bad opinion.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nankeen posted:

iirc ligotti's abdominally critical character passed out and was rushed to hospital in the middle of a book signing

is that what actually happened

It was a painter showing his work at a gallery iirc. The rest of the book makes several mentions of his gastrointestinal ordeal.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I gave up on teattro grottesco near the end. It got a bit too tedious for me and I wanted to move on to

COOL CORN posted:

Maybe North American River Monsters next!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solitair posted:

The book was decent, but I like the movie a lot more.

There are three books but they're mostly backtracking and describing stairs

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Are you supposed to be able to piece together wtf happens in Black Helicopters because I sure did miss a lot of things.
Why do we get a chapter on someone attacking a Mars colony with a biological weapon ? Do I care about Whitsby and her weird experiment reuniting a twin into a single body, did this even happen ? What's with the stream of consciousness guy shooting snuff in a hotel ?

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 24, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My kobo slides nicely in most of my jackets and I get to load it with news articles to read while commuting which is great. It's supposedly splash tolerant too

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

Yo what's good space horror?

Check out The Dark Behind the Stars. I wouldn't call it horror but it's pretty bleak and I love it

Fallom posted:

It’s “Beyond,” not “Behind.”

:doh:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 20, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm waiting on Maledictions which is supposed to be horror set in the WH40k universe(es ?) which I'm not familiar with.
Reviews are mixed but it was cheap so vOv.

Fallom posted:

tell him to read that book about the drug mule who fights worms in an apartment building instead

I'm curious

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a foolish pianist posted:

The Shaft by David Schow. It's fun, and it loving loves going on and on about cocaine.

Thanks, I love it.

Here's a paragraph:

book posted:

Splash! Jonathan had sunk back into fugue and was jolted to reality by the truck's obliteration of a genuinely awesome puddle of ice.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I had the tools to describe how crazy good The Shaft was. It felt a bit like a Coen's movie with a supernatural twist. The writing is brilliant, the trainwreck full tilt in your face. One of my best reads in months.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Get rid of The Drowning Girl which is boring deranged rambling and get

fez_machine posted:

Kathe Koja's The Cipher

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm halfway into Wanderers by Chuck Wendig. So far it's an entertaining ride by someone who probably time traveled to 2020 and came back to release it during the summer of 2019.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Is it compiled somewhere ? I'm really not down scrolling through reddits ui.

e: found this

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I remember the ending being suitably hosed up for the story, I wouldn't say it was poo poo imo.