Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

On the strength of fellow Goon recommendations, I picked up Paperbacks From Hell and it is a loving joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

Again from this thread I picked up Dark Entries yesterday, and read the first story, The School Friend. It was wonderfully creepy, and I spent the afternoon today running errands thinking about it. I'm 52 years old and I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of this writer.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Also any recs for good mystery-ish novels with interesting horror elements? Or alternatively, any horror novels with a mystery bent? I've been reading Lauren Beukes's Broken Monsters and it's scratching that itch, but I'm almost done and want more of that.

I haven't read them yet, but John Connolly's Charlie Parker series might work for you.The first book in the series is Every Dead Thing.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

I've started House of Leaves and Truant is already getting on my nerves. The footnotes haven't tripped into Infinite Jest levels of irritation yet. The Navidson material so far is good.

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 23, 2018

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i read four volumes of that stupid thing for some godforsaken reason and the memory of it fills me with blind rage

I was half looking at that series for when I finish HoL. Please give me details of the rage inducement.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

It just sucks. It's stupid and it sucks. I'm angry that I wasted hours of my life and like $60 reading four volumes of it - four volumes of it - instead of doing anything else

Thanks, Chernobyl. I will avoid it.

I'm finding it a chore to get through the Truant sections of House of Leaves. I just want to smack him.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Nothing wrong with just reading the Navidson parts and calling it a day.

I'm leaning that way. My OCD is making me push through, but I think I'm one more hook up with random girl for another Penthouse Letters one night stand away from ditching him.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

I had to tap out on House of Leaves. I hit the poetry and couldn't do it anymore. I started Blackwater and that's more my jam.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to read House of Leaves again but,
a) The book is the size of a small van
b) I only want to read the Navidson Records part

I finally finished it and yeah, that's the only part I would ever re-visit.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I'm in an apocalyptic mood, and I'm looking for some real dire poo poo to read/listen to. Stories about madness, indescribable horrors, and curses that grow in your brain. Like, one of the things I like the most about Lovecraftian horror is the utter bleakness and futility of the protagonists' actions and attempts at understanding what they're up against. The realization that you are wildly out of your league makes for a good source of dread and the sinking feeling that accompanies good horror. What're some good stories for this kinda thing, both modern and relatively classic e.g. Derleth and Lovecraft (if I should even be reading them)?

Caitlin Kiernan's Agents of Dreamland might fit the bill.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I got this on your recommendation (and because it was on discount) and while it was pretty cool I wanted considerably more.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

One of my students lent me his copy and is super keen for me to start it and I'm kinda middling about it given the mixed reviews here.

But he was totally correct about Roadside Picnic so perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt

I just finished--and loved--Roadside Picnic. Having read all of House of Leaves, the main house mystery is the only part that was memorable and worthwhile. The rest was just wankery.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

A friend recommended The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. I like his writing style but the animal stuff may stop me from reading much more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 8, 2013

escape artist posted:

How bad is it? That's all I hear about when this book is brought up

Not sure what constitutes a spoiler, but to be safe The level of cruelty in a hunting trip is what sets up the revenge aspect of the novel, which is something I wish I'd known before I started reading. The details of the hunt are disturbing--dying pregnant animals, knives being shoved into deceased young animal's mouths, that sort of thing. . I also had to skip parts of Kafka On The Shore for similar reasons. I'm probably not going to continue with it.