Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like TV additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading a collection of stories called The Devil and the Deep and so far it's utter poo poo. Any good water monster horror out there?
FWIW, I've read North American Lake Monsters and Blackwater and both are great but come a bit short on the monster front.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That looks pretty great, thanks.
e: Reviews seem pretty negative, though. I'll check it out.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 15, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Boo, I requested The Devil and the Deep at my library and I'm next in line after it being weirdly popular, that's such a bummer to hear.
I'm like five stories in and I wouldn't even classify what I've read as horror. Maybe it'll get better further on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Dead Sea by Tim Curran is full of underwater monsters. It is not as well-written as the two books you named, but like most of Curran's work, it's a lot of fun.
Oh yeah, read that as well, forgot to mention. Thanks anyway!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
McCammon's best thing is probably Speaks the Nightbird; again, not strictly horror but there are some unsettling bits. I'd suggest staying away from the sequels though, he turned it into a historical adventure novel series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

That's my problem with it. I've taken to reading on a Paperwhite because it's small and self lit so I can read at night without a lamp and keeping the girlfriend awake. Apparently they never did anything to make it ebook friendly.
I'm not sure you can, given the format fuckery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

I just finished Curran's Dead Sea. It started pretty strong, but it overstays its welcome by quite a few pages, and the last act is pretty dumb.
Felt the same, honestly. I love stories connected with mysteries of the sea - deeps, beasties, mythology - but it really doesn't deliver what it builds up to.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I'm a big fan of Emrys's "The Litany of Earth," but I haven't gotten around to her other fiction or nonfiction articles yet.
Litany of Earth is amazing, but Winter Tide really drags on and adds nothing to the idea; instead of building upon it, it rehashes the concept in much less interesting ways. Haven't read the second one yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Somewhat related to the haunted **** recs - I'm in the mood for something along these lines, ideally with people exploring a mysterious environemnt running into weird supernatural stuff and uncovering its history. Good example would be the Southern Reach books by Jeff Vandermeer.
I've sadly read most of the classics mentioned here (Shining, Terror, House of Leaves, Deep...; more interested in the mystery than the horror but horror books tend to have the most interesting mysteries anyway. Would prefer it to be at least partially explained.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have but that's another perfect example of what I'm looking for.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking as someone who felt the same way as you, I feel obliged to warn you that despite the attempts of whoever handled marketing on it, Black Helicopters is almost certainly not the "more" that you want here.
Yeah, got burnt on that one as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Horror does seem to suffer from unavailability quite a bit... (...still waiting for Worlds of Hurt to come back to ebooks, goddamnit).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, there are two things to bear in mind here: 1) HPL was not a good writer, 2) Mountains of Madness is pretty much the worst place to start with him as it provides a "scientific" background for the mythos.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just how many New Neighbors do you have there?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I raise you all of them
Worthy of almostemptyquote.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

The Heikegani, or "Samurai crab:"

And an article busting some myths surrounding the Heikegani:

https://research.nhm.org/pdfs/3729/3729.pdf
That is actually really cool.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Dear god what have I gotten myself into? Two stories in and the theme seems to be "how a minor brush with unreality can completely drive people completely mad". Really entertaining so far!
It's really good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/769902.Sandkings

Have you guys read Sandkings, the horror-scifi short story/novella by George RR Martin? I first read it as a kid over thirty years ago when it was published in Omni magazine and it blew me away.

Please disregard any opinions re Game of Thrones good or bad, very different material here.

PM me if interested in it.
Yeah, that's the worst casualty of GoT: GRRM used to write pretty good short stories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

This Humble Bundle (which has about 14 days left as of June 5) has a lot of horror stuff in it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/science-fiction-start-books

Anyone know if these books are worthwhile?
I can tell you that No Return is godawful, if that's of any help. The blurbs that compare it to Wolfe and Miéville are a better work of fiction than the book. Oh, and Martha Wells is pretty well-regarded in the SF thread but that's for her science fiction series, no idea about the earlier work.

Anyway, I just finished Kwaidan and I found out about it in this thread - are there any more books in this vein (not necessarily Japanese, it could be from anywhere; just folk horror stories) anyone could recommend?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bonaventure posted:

the title has been variously translated so i will link the wikipedia page about it, but you may enjoy this (though it is a bit light on the horror elements, really)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Stories_from_a_Chinese_Studio
This looks great, thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Though everyone should read the forum's resident favorite North American river monster book, Blackwater. It's such a good horror southern gothic supernatural family drama novel.
Yeah. Funnily enough the scariest moments of that have nothing to do with the monsters involved.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Owlkill posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for sea/underwater-themed horror? Don't mind whether it's short stories or longer-form stuff - just tried scuba diving for the first time and it have me a horrors-from-the-depths itch
There's an ocean-themed anthology put together by Datlow - Devil and the Deep or something like that; it's got a couple good stories. And a bunch of bad ones.

Tim Curran's Dead Sea isn't anything special but it's got the all the right ingredients.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Esme posted:

Starfish by Peter Watts. I think only the beginning is set in the deep sea, but it’s the most memorable part of the book.
That is a good recommendation. Wouldn't bother with the sequels, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

iirc they're based on a now-debunked anthropological theory regarding an extinct offshoot of homo sapiens that predated on the rest of them
Yeah. Watts' science fiction is interesting because he is a biologist as opposed to your standard astroquantumphysspacewooo writer - his ideas come from a different angle.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No.
edit: Wait, is that the first one? Then yes, I guess, if you don't mind it's just body horror.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could be, I was like 14 when I read it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I... huh. I need to re-read those.
Anything similar in theme but a tad more coherent out there?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Haunting of the Hill House? It's a classic for a reason.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan is another sci-fi horror favorite... that I'm iffy on. It has some really great moments and I love the setting and atmosphere, but the ending is weird. I'm not sure I'd call it terrible, I think others would, but it absolutely squanders a lot of the mystery and horror that was built up to that point.
This, although I'd say it is definitely worth reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Tangentially related to the Klein talk - where would you folks recommend starting with Ramsey Campbell?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now I know I need to read that story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I would say go read The Ruins by Scott Smith instead.
That's an amazing book in a sense, I distinctly remember cheering whenever a character died.
Not sure if that makes for good horror, though.

e: You could say I was, er, rooting for the plants.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Owl Goingback? I don't think I've ever heard of them, are they any good?

e: beaten.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

I don't understand much of the past few pages, but they somehow made me really excited to experience Ligotti. I ordered Teotro Grottesco
That's basically the purpose of these threads, so job well done.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Oh poo poo I was just thinking about that book the other day! Ah well, I'll read that one next month.
It really isn't horror as much as an action romp. Really fun action romp, mind you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thomas Ligotti? We're basically Ligotti salesmen here.

The other standard recommendation is North American Lake Monsters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I would suggest Laird Barron's Imago Sequence because I want to see your posts about the Black Sloth
Actually this is a great idea.

Anyhow, is there any other must read McDowell other than Blackwater and The Elementals? I tried The Amulet and honestly wasn't too impressed, felt a bit too like Stephen King. Then again, it was his first novel, so any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

it needs a single-frame flash of the terrible cover the new edition got:

This is a great idea, although jumpscares aren't really in the style... Maybe a sufficiently disturbing quote instead?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 4, 2020