Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the ending lines of that one whip

"I am not dying in a nightmare"

I dunno, I kinda feel like he went a little too far, really. I have a similar issue with the endings of some of his other stories (The Frolic, The Strange Design of Master Rignolo, etc.). Like it'll be creepy or scary, and then he keeps going and it turns funny (which is good, too), but then he'll keep going and it just becomes awkward? Maybe it's intentional tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

fez_machine posted:

Brian Evenson has a new book out, Song for the Unravelling of the World.

Thanks for recommending this; can anyone recommend some stories featuring flaming ghosts of Mormon amputee psychiatrists

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

I'm about 70 pages into Paperbacks From Hell and already I'm LOVING IT. What a ridiculous fun read and I've added so many things to my "to read" list now.

Is it kind of like stephen king's danse macabre, but for books from that time period? I got some good book recommendations from danse macabre and enjoyed his musings about writing. Reading the description though, it sounds like it's more about the cover art than the contents of the books?

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

I just finished Lake Monsters and it's as great as everybody says. It really reignited my love of horror shorts; every story is just long enough to make its point and get creepy without getting bogged down in "Why is this happening" and capital P Plot. I think The Monsters of Heaven and The Good Husband were my favorites.

Also, is there no ebook edition of Teatro Grottesco available anywhere or am I just blind?

Yeah it's weird, there's an italian one, and my library has an english ebook, but I can't buy it anywhere.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

escape artist posted:

so what's a good Ligotti entrance point

This is probably bad advice, but I started with The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, and I think it's a great primer to how to think about his stories

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Oh poo poo conspiracy against the human race is on Audible!

Then again if it's not a man hysterically sobbing through the entire reading, it doesn't seem like it'd be proper Ligotti mood

Can you report into the thread on how it is? I've been mulling a reread, but listening to it could be nice

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

itt a lot of severely depressed people mad that the cop show didnt validate their nihilism

the last shot, after cohle talks about the light, is of a completely lightless night sky. the only light in the shot is manmade, from the streetlights and the building behind them. surely this can't be too subtle

Wouldn't man-made light in a completely lightless night sky, where light is good and dark is evil, extremely validate nihilism? I think if we're referring to ligotti's pessimism we'd hope to see the light flicker/haze out into the dark, with bright stars looking down instead.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

disclaimer I've never watched the show, but I think any tv show would be massively improved by including some puppet nonsense

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So after finishing a Collapse of Horses and A Song for the Unraveling of the World, I think that Brian Evenson is pretty great. I have to say I liked Song waaay better than Horses, though.

My issue with Horses is that while the stories all had this pretty eerie feel to them, they all had this vague quality where you are dropped into a scenario with little detail and have to scramble to figure out what’s going on. The first time you encounter this it’s pretty good, but after going through the collection, there are a lot of stories that rely on this setup and it gets old, fast.

The titular story wasn’t bad, it didn’t grip me as much as others, but by the time I wound up at “Click” I found myself skimming a bunch of prose because the story wasn’t going to end up anywhere interesting. Or maybe it did, but I couldn’t tell because there was no way to connect to a lot of people in the stories, nameless protagonists or otherwise.

With Song, you still got a lot of that eerie “something is wrong here” quality but on the whole the stories felt far more anchored, which made me more invested and (feel more dread).

His novellas are quite good, with some really funny moments too

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I just finished Last Days which I thought was really pretty good. The over-all narrative was pretty gripping and I liked it a lot. The bit where it turned into Aliens was a little weird, and the ending was super abrupt and I felt could've used at least like another page just to smooth it out. I honestly thought I was missing a page it was so abrupt. I don't even mean the content of the ending, it just literally ended so suddenly.
Lmao I thought this was evenson's last days and got really confused. Haven't read this other one, but I liked evenson's although it literally has slaughterhouse reports so I dunno if you'd like it.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

escape artist posted:

how do I get the Ligotti tag?

I have been enjoying the poo poo out of his short stories on Youtube. He's got like 39 short stories in audiobook form on Youtube.

Like, official ones? I can only find fan readings

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can y'all help me with a recommendation?

I would like to find another occult (or similar) book like Adam Nevill's Last Days. I enjoyed it but wanted more of a payoff, I guess. Lots of beating around the bush. I was thinking of reading The Hellbound Heart but idk. Has Stephen King written anything like a full-length Gramma?

E: ah poo poo if I'd just read the last few posts I'd have seen Devil's Creek. That looks good

joke recommendation: brian evenson's last days. it has TWO cults

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

reading T.E. Grau's The Nameless Dark after he was namedropped earlier and this is extremely good so far, probably the best collection i've read since NALM

I didn't realize it til looking him up that I'd already read "transmission" in lost signals. I thought it was okay, maybe leaned a little hard on the Great Old Ones stuff. But holy moly The Nameless Dark starts strong. Can't wait for the rest of it, although it'll be hard to top tubby

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I just finished reading the atrocity archives and I like the idea of a series about a government agent who fights technological lovecraftian demons.

What I didn’t like were the bad attempts at humor, the focus on humdrum office politics and bureaucracy, and the super outdated technology references - I’ll give that last one a pass cause the book is ~20 years old now, but it really pegs the story at a particular time.

Is there a series that doesn’t have the above? Feels like lovecraftian stuff is mostly confined to short stories but I’d like to read a longer narrative about saving the world from other realms’ horrors.

If you haven't already, read "colder war" by the same author. I skipped that series, but his short stories are usually quite good

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

What's the consensus on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished Annihilation, and I liked it, but it felt a little too loose and meander-y, despite being so short. I'm always intrigued by "explore mysterious location" stories, but I don't know if I want to invest the time in two more books.

I really enjoyed the second book, even more than the first, but found the third kinda boring.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I finished T.E. Grau's "The Nameless Dark". Overall quite good. I was consistently impressed with his ability to voice such varied and colorful characters, and fill out the setting so quickly.

Tubby's big swim: probably my favorite story in this book. Great story and great characters
The screamer: really good lovecraft-inspired work. Not sure if the physical/environmental events/disasters add much though. I think I would have preferred it all to be purely psychological
Clean: super uncomfortable, but still good. Billy felt written a little too mature? Which is the point, maybe, but compared to Alden from tubby, it felt off.
Return of the prodigy: very fun b-movie romp
Expat: felt really obvious from the start, along with the author constantly noting how silent they were and how they avoided touching anything, etc., every couple lines. Standard conceit, sub-par execution.
The truffle pig: fine, I guess. I'm not really a fan of turning historical events into some kinda conspiracy. Haven't introspected enough to quite say why. I initially thought it was going to be all made up in the character's head, and I do enjoy reading about someone's descent into madness, but it didn't really go there. I was genuinely surprised the protagonist was a woman (which now that I think of it, isn't an uncommon theory) so props to the author.
Beer & worms: excellent. Sets the bait then reels you in.
White feather: decent swashbuckler with a lovecraftian twist. I had some trouble finding the setting, especially temporally, at the start. Which was unusual since the rest of the stories are quite good at it. Ending fell a little flat.
Mr. Lupus: Fun take on fairy tales, just in time for Christmas, too. Was a little too long and winding I guess, but far from the worst story in the book, imo
Free fireworks: fine. Very warhammer 40k
Love songs from the hydrogen jukebox: good up until the ending, where it just became kooky. I guess I can pretend the ending was just the guy drugged out of his mind
Twinkle, twinkle: okay. It should've ended with him getting the call back, or done something similar to Tremblay's "It’s Against the Law to Feed the Ducks". Really didn't need the omniscient cutaway to boring ol tentacles.
The mission: eh, didn't like it. Felt stuffed with too many references and weird racism. The action scenes were really weak/poorly written, which is unforgivable for a western

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I read Brian evenson's "Solution"; it's fun and topical. That it's a little pulp-ier and longer than his other short stories makes it, from personal experience, perfect bathroom reading material

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I finally got around to reading carrier wave, and it was a lot of fun. Reminded me of world war z, but I liked the format, content and ideas of this a lot more. Unlike world war z, this was completely america centric, which creates a bit of a plot-hole in the ending. Great ride getting there, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Kestral posted:

It's tricky to get good self-reflective descriptions out of teens sometimes, but my impression is that the appeal is fast-paced body horror with a military aesthetic. Zombie fiction would probably work too, although I can't think of much in that vein that's decent.

Carrier wave, maybe?