Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever read a Latinx horror book, so I asked Google and decided on The Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories by Mariana Enriquez, an Argentine writer. I've only read the first story, but so far it seems to have a North American Lake Monsters vibe; the horror is inserted into a depiction of the cultural/social situation (and it ain't cheery).

The first story, The Dirty Kid, is available as an excerpt on the Amazon page:
https://www.amazon.com/Things-We-Lo...77120303&sr=8-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone read Nathan Ballingrud's new book The Strange? Sounds like it's a dark sci-fi kinda deal? I just finished North American Lake Monsters for the second time and I'm debating reading Wounds again, but something new might be worth a try.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks, I'll put it on the to do list. Reading NALM takes me a long time because after each story I need to take a break and digest it...it will be interesting to read a full blown novel from him

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If it helps I distinctly recall that the king eats a booger in that book

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been pushing through This Wretched Valley and should finish it this weekend. Can't put my finger on why but it's just not really grabbing me. Feels like all the elements are there but I'm still just kinda meh over it. The author does come up with some creative and evocative similies from time to time but ultimately I'll be glad when I'm done with the book