Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm mostly a sci-fi donk. Read 'Hyperion' by Dan Simmons around ten years ago and loved it. Truthfully it is one of my favorite books of all time. Since then I've knocked through a number of his books.....seeing as how he jumps between and blends horror with sci-fi and historical fiction. 'Carrion Comfort' is an absolute tomb. But the way Simmons busts it up into three distinct sections makes it pretty palatable. Finished it a second time this past week. It's a masterpiece nearing 'Hyperion' imo. Didn't care for 'Summer of Night' nearly as much. 'Drood' was a complete slog. Interesting premise....but Simmons seemed too eager to inject it full of studied research that the casual reader cares nothing about....ballooning the book to a stupid length with way too much dead weight.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, don't ruin your experience of Simmons by any reading more of his stuff. Hyperion particularly becomes retroactively worse with each sequel you read.
Oh, and he's a shithead.

Anyhow, if you like sci-fi horror, my go-to recommendation is Unto Leviathan/Ship of Fools by Richard Russo.

Oh, I didn't mind The Rise of Hyperion or the Endymion books. None even close to the level of Hyperion. And yeah....I unfortunately have heard about Simmons being a shithead.

Adding recs to list.

Flaggy posted:

The Last Astronaut.

Will add to list.

Kerro posted:

I really really liked The Terror and to a lesser extent, Abominable but they are very heavy in detail about their respective settings and focus (Arctic exploration and travel, and mountaineering respectively) so if you don't have an interest in those aspects they're possibly a bit of a slog. They're my favourite of his however.

I liked 'The Terror'. The historical fiction stuff that he's written is not bad depending on what you pick up. I thought 'Illium' was pretty solid if it weren't for the concluding part, 'Olympos' being mostly trash. 'Drood' was 100% a slog. Zero reason for that book to have clocked in at nearly 800 pages.