Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I picked up Teatro Grotesco thanks to the thread and wow. This guy might be the most depressed man alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

chernobyl kinsman posted:

he's like a black hole

I think it was you who mentioned this in an earlier post: usually it's not difficult to separate the narrator from the author but this distinction seems completely eroded for Ligotti. Just pure nihilism. it rocks

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

NALM was just as good as you folks said.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

hallelujah posted:

there's a cute thing that happens with goons where we're all so critical that when something genuinely good comes along, we're left stunned and in shock

Goons are so particular that I have gotten some amazing recommendations from the forums.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, putting together a list

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin
White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
The Fisherman by John Langan
Song for the Unraveling of the World by Brian Evenson
The Toll by Cherie Priest
A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs
Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

Didn't the italics in Night Film drive you nuts though? I couldn't focus on the story

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just finished Teatro Grottesco. Did Ligotti have some sort of stomach ailment IRL

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I love him

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Ligotti living in Florida makes perfect sense

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Really excited to see the discussion of this song/poem. I still get chills every time I think of the line "and the moment of consummate disaster when the puppets turn to face the puppetmaster"

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Found a gift card to a bookstore from a year ago in the bottom of my bag and picked up Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Same.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Thomas Ligotti is the master of social distancing

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

dear mods please restore my ligotti gangtag...though I know there is no honor in distinguishing myself as an individual, only a further descent into consciousness

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Speaking of which, I just finished The Elementals and loved it. What a unique blend of a literal beach read with Southern gothic horror. sounds like if I want something similar, I need to read Blackwater?

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm reading Blackwater by Michael McDowell and loving it. I'm about 1/4 of the way through and really enjoying how it's less of a horror novel and more of a family saga with spooky vibes. The real horror is Mary-Love's control of her family and the struggle between her and Elinor is mostly domestic instead of supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just finished Blackwater and ahhhhhhhhhhh. I think I could have read 800 more pages about the Caskeys.