Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my rear end in a top hat is haunted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

pet semetary ends pretty strongly

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

laird barron is one of my sad men because he gets so close to satisfying me but he never quite gets all the way there

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

horror authors seem to have the same drive toward a happy ending as non-horror authors, but horror is a genre where unqualified happy endings just don't work. usually the whole narrative loses its thrust if the protagonist group doesn't end up 95% dead/dying/mad/suffering eternal torment and damnation. there can be one or two survivors who learnt to make the right choices and were rewarded with relative good fortune, but that's it.

i bought the fisherman online a few weeks ago and it's taking ages to turn up, i want to read it now :argh:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

That's definitely one area where I heavily disagree on, but then I'm one of those people who can't stand bad endings
what are some happy endings in horror that you've been satisfied by? (genuine question!)

i hate happiness and joy, all denouements must be bleak and full of grief or i'm just not buying it lol

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

when are we getting our gritty animorphs reboot

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i will accept a gritty appalachian animorphs reboot

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

nowadays i treat goon recommendations with extreme suspicion, but i'm liking ligotti

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

does anyone have ligotti's mailing address, i think a stalker would be good for his self-esteem

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

this isn't even a crazy-fan thing, i think his stuff is moderately-good at best, i just for some reason feel a spiritual connection to the man and think a few mysterious letters from me would be good for him at this stage of his life

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

we could be friends

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

he's almost definitely a goon so is probably reading these posts and having a meltdown irl

thomas calm down i'm not actually going to stalk you

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

there's a bit in his wikipedia page that's something like "ligotti is three-quarters sicilian, one-quarter polish. in interviews he has said 'i don't mean to imply that being polish is inherently existentially terrifying. but it is'" and it made me laugh out loud (i am also polish)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

cosmic ancestral despair

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

actually i've just figured out what i like about ligotti's work, is how matter-of-fact it is. i was reading teatro grottesco and the clown puppet story and town manager story both made me lol (not in a bad way, they were my favourites) because they just perfectly captured that tone of "i'm just trying to live my life and this loving happened, what can you do?" the characters seem to be more exasperated than frightened by the horrors they're confronted with, even under fear of death. it's great. it's been a few years since i read any laird barron who i think is ligotti's closest contemporary, he has some good stuff but he pissed me off a bit because he tended more toward "and it was so scary, holy poo poo it was so scary it was so loving terrifying i just about died" lovecraftian histrionics. ligotti gets too matter-of-fact to the point where some of his stories become impossible to read because they're just a depressed man droning on about nothing, but his good stuff really does nail the "oh gently caress not this poo poo again" reaction that certain personalities have to terrifying apocalyptic phenomena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

chernobyl kinsman posted:

avs i'm assuming you've seen melancholia?
loving

i haven't seen it and it's one of those cases where people keep recommending it to me (usually in contexts like the book barn general horror thread) and i desperately want to watch it but every time i actually get around to watching it i am interrupted by minor karmic misfortune. it has been a running joke in my life ever since it was released, which was... 10-ish years ago i think? lord time moves fast