Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i'm doing it, i'm buying the lake monsters. $25 is a massive leisure expenditure for me nowadays, that's like my whole monthly budget gone, it's why i get so unreasonably irate when i buy a book and it doesn't transform my life into a bubbling pit of emotion (i'm so sorry mister langan). but yeah i remembered i read sunbleached on nightmare magazine back in the day and thought it was the best vampire story in a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

horror is the only genre that bears any resemblance to reality anymore

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yes. good. welcome. next you must read Aickman
that's next month's outgoings

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

p u p p e t s

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i'm always really disappointed when horror writers turn out to be normal functional people irl, in fact it clouds my enjoyment of their work to know that when they're not dreaming up nightmares they're out working 9-5 jobs and getting married and being valuable members of society

i don't have that problem with ligotti

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

david vann is one of the authors whose work leaves me emotionally distraught irl. i should probably get aquarium, it's the one everyone recommends and i haven't been able to get my hands on it (i even go to libraries, but... regional libraries :gonk:)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ligotti is an unusual man

nankeen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 7, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

got my lake monsters! wild acre seemed like a pretty boring schlock tale, then i got to "did you tell them we're jewish?!" and laughed out loud and now i can't stop thinking about what the story actually meant

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

lake monsters verdict: holy poo poo

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

seriously excellent tbh

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

yeah i'll definitely be re-reading the collection in a few days so i can give each story the attention it deserves, i'm used to short story collections fizzling out after the second or third entry so i plough through them but lake monsters stayed red hot all the way to the end. wounds wasn't as good apparently?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i'm on my first reread of lake monsters. a good book is like a good album imo, you skim through it the first time and then go back and engage. it's loving great, it's been a long time since horror fiction got me this excited, thank you all for recommending it

ballingrud's touch with the violence is so deft, he gets just graphic enough that one's skin begins to crawl but always manages to avoid going too far into cartoonishness. i love it

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

bought wounds :3: i don't care if it's not as good as lake monsters!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

the good husband is just... wow.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ligotti is strangely adorable

i hope it doesn't eventually turn out he accidentally killed a bunch of children trying to turn them into dolls or anything like that

nankeen fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 16, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

my ballingrud update is that wounds is still very good and has a few great hard-hitting moments. the stories just aren't as sharp or as raw as lake monsters but it's worth reading for the atmospheric prose alone

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

lake monsters would be hard to follow up and you can pretty much smell the publisher harassment all over wounds, ballingrud's third book will probably take fifteen years to arrive but it'll be fantastic when it gets here

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

one thing i appreciate about ligotti, especially given his influences, is that he genuinely does not seem to be a racist individual

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

yeah start with teattro. dreamer/grimscribe is borderline outsider art, but the stories in teattro are all much more focused and less repetitive so, as mentioned above, accessible. by borderline outsider art i mean you can tell when ligotti's jerking off and he is a psychosexual labyrinth of a man

nankeen fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 18, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

incidentally all my italian friends have clown phobias except one who has a clown fetish. i asked

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i have nothing but kind feelings toward ligotti and don't want to publically armchair diagnose him lol, but the reason i assume he's weird irl is because judging from his writing he's about half a step above ulillillia on the autism spectrum, as well as being crippling depressed and polish-italian-american and laden with bizarre fetishes for inanimate objects

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

I love how he turns the fluorescent 9-5 office job into a cosmic horror all its own
lmao this is my favourite thing too

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

abdominal crisis lol

i love that man

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

iirc ligotti's abdominally critical character passed out and was rushed to hospital in the middle of a book signing

is that what actually happened

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

unpacked robinhood posted:

It was a painter showing his work at a gallery iirc. The rest of the book makes several mentions of his gastrointestinal ordeal.
hahahaha i was trying to remember that exact phrasing today, i don't have the book on hand right now so couldn't check. ligotti has exactly two voices, hallucinogenic meltdown and absolute deadpan, when he's deadpan he's incredibly funny in a way that is really hard to describe

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i like to imagine ligotti communicating with his publishers exclusively via webcam and most of the calls are just the camera pointing out into a dark room full of mannequins while the great man makes strange whimpering noises in the background

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

And the room is lit solely by old carnival signs
i adore his fixation on signs

E-S-S-E-N-C-E LOUNGE LOUNGE LOUNGE

BEEF PORK GOAT

BEEF PORK GOAT

at semi-appropriate moments i find myself thinking "obsessed with the meat nonsense, the beef-pork-goat nonsense, and the death nonsense, the very worst sort of nonsense"

nankeen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 7, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

conceptual separation of the fictional narrator from the real author is a pretty standard bit of dogma in literary criticism which absolutely does not in any way apply to ligotti
i interpret everything he writes as sincere autobiography

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

only compassion stops me from writing a story where ligotti travels back in time and meets hp lovecraft, tries to engage him in discussion about the universe and lovecraft is all "...begone from my sight you lugubrious pole!!"

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

I think it's just the nature of his short story style, but by the end it started to feel formulaic
that's his thing lol, he is an actual crazy person obsessively writing the same story over and over

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i can only imagine a ligotti curse would take the form of him spiritually manifesting at your bedside every night and telling you about his pork-beef-goat nonsense while you're trying to sleep, forever

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

can anyone recommend a decent horror shorts anthology (with various authors)? i already have the treasury of american horror stories (which is good and i'd recommend btw), so something without too much overlap would be great

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i am horror

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i hoard physical books like a dragon, but also give them generously to friends and family, neither of which is quite as ceremonial with e-books

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Bilirubin posted:

The Good Husband is so magnificently :wtc: it is the perfect capstone to a thoroughly strong series of stories
yeah it had been a long time since i'd read a short story that left me feeling shellshocked

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

Partially because it wasn't based on the "Wounds" book!
i just don't understand why they do this. why use the title at all if you're not even going to try to honour the source material?

the netflix haunting of hill house took years off my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

im begging all of you to read Aickman
i swear i am going to read aickman but my only way to access his works is to shell out actual money and right now that's not an option at all