Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Same. I feel like I was expecting it to go much further than it did and the two characters weren't as interesting as they should have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Great cover though!

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

anyone read ted's caving page recently to see how that holds up?

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Imo the old cover was way better so I'm glad I snagged a uk copy last year

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Yeah I think the only time I've gotten scared from prose is when I read House of Leaves as a teen, or various online stories/creepypastas. Really liked Ted's Caving Page. I think there's a lack of punch with a novel vs a short ghost story.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I remember "The Evil at Devil's Rock" (or whatever it's called had something sorta like that with a sudden spooky picture of a ghost kid on the next page, buuuuut the rest of the book was a kinda petering out wet fart.

I guess that's one disadvantage books have over audiovisual mediums is you can't really have any sorta jump scare to spook people and relieve tension. I feel like the most effective spooky moments in your classic ghost stories and whatnot is when something that previously seemed somewhat innocuous is recontextualized to be something much more sinister later on. Like the scraping noises being a monster moving out of its lair in Ted's Caving Page or the red color in the keyhole being a ghost's eyes in the hotel lady ghost story. Those are the moments that really stick with me and freaked me out when I first read them

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Giragast posted:

I disliked NALM for the plot summary reasons listed (after hearing so much acclaim), sad men ruining their own lives isn't all that scary, but maybe that's because I can get that at home

Much later on I read Wounds and loved it, and was very surprised I was to find it was the same author. Here's hoping he worked out whatever NALM was borne from

Haven't read Wounds but reading NALM felt like horror bojack horseman where it tried to be both horror and serious drama and ended up being bad at both. Like at least when Hereditary does the It's About Trauma thing it also remembers to actually be scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

Read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it was really good. Cosmic horror and time travel. It's hard to talk about without spoiling it, it's not particularly gory but there's a fair amount of deaths.

One of my favorite books in recent years. Maybe not explicit horror in some people's definitions but it was probably better than anything else I read in eliciting a sense of impending doom. I can't remember if any other book had my heart racing the way this one did. If you haven't read it his other book (Tomorrow and Tomorrow) is really good. A little slower to get going but excellent neo noir.