Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've never read any Ligotti. Is the combined edition with Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I just finished Lake Monsters and it's as great as everybody says. It really reignited my love of horror shorts; every story is just long enough to make its point and get creepy without getting bogged down in "Why is this happening" and capital P Plot. I think The Monsters of Heaven and The Good Husband were my favorites.

Also, is there no ebook edition of Teatro Grottesco available anywhere or am I just blind?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Just finished Songs of a Dead Dreamer. I don't know if I have anything unique to say about it, but I loved it, and I could probably reread it right now and discover tons of new details.

I don't have much experience with "weird" fiction. I've read a smattering of Lovecraft, but he never really grabbed me. Ligotti's stories are much more evocative and relatable, but they also feel like dreams themselves; you're entranced while you're reading them, but they start to slip through your fingers after you wake up.

I've always been fascinated by dreams. Ligotti and David Lynch are two of the few artists who've been able to capture how a nightmare really feels to me. I rarely have nightmares where a big monster is chasing me and I learn some plot-relevant facts about my life, but walking down an unfamiliar street, not knowing how you got there and spotting an obscure figure in the glow of a street lamp is extremely my poo poo.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

While I loved Songs of a Dead Dreamer, I think Grimscribe is a mixed bag. There are individual stories I liked more than anything in SOADD (The Glamour, The Cocoons) but as a whole the collection is more plodding and same-y than the first book, and it became hard to remember where one story ended and the next began. I do want to read more of his stuff, but I need a little break (plus I want to read everything in chronological order, and most of his books are infuriatingly out of print and/or unavailable in ebook form.)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I was reading a Ligotti interview where he mentioned Danny Gatton was one of his favorite musicians. You can imagine Ligotti listening to Penderecki or Schoenberg or whatever, but Gatton was an insanely talented, goofy country guitar virtuoso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBF4rr7FiA

He was also famous for blowing his brains out.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBallingrud/status/1291834740182528000

He says later in the thread that four of the episodes are based on stories from NALM, the other four are original stories by the show's writing staff.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Speaking of Ballingrud, I finally finished Wounds today. Overall, it was pretty disappointing as a followup to NALM. Aside from "The Maw," none of the stories really grabbed me. Didn't help that I was listening to the audiobook, and the narrator for Skullpocket was complete dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

What's the consensus on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished Annihilation, and I liked it, but it felt a little too loose and meander-y, despite being so short. I'm always intrigued by "explore mysterious location" stories, but I don't know if I want to invest the time in two more books.