Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Does anyone have links/articles/discussions of Matthew Bartlett's Creeping Waves/Gateway to Abomination anywhere? I had drifted off from the whole northeastern cult/lovecraftian genre a long time ago since it had basically become kitsch but I picked up Gateways on a whim and it was like getting slapped in the face. Really exciting stuff, I can't believe he managed to make that milieu scary and also pack in some surprisingly funny dark jokes. Creeping Waves wasn't quite as stunning, the longer stories and greater coherence were a bit of a double edged sword, but still very good. Can't believe I hadn't read more about it, it just felt very fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Started Blackwater today! More of that McDowell Southern Gothic goodness. He really makes writing great characters look easy.

Edit: I’ve been reading Blackwater for a few days now, just finished up the second “book.” I think if I like it this much till the end, it’ll easily have a place on my “favorite novels” list and I’ll probably start annoyingly recommending it to everyone I know. I just absolutely love everything that is happening in this novel. McDowell was really something special. This is capital L literature. If you’ve read Blackwater please come back to this thread so we can talk about it!!!

I love Blackwater. I did the ~30 hour audiobook and it really helped with the feeling of time passing. It’s a tricky one just because the scope keeps expanding. I don’t know that the plot, such that there is hangs together that well but the characters are indelible

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

I'm loving the Blackwater discussion! Its interesting because while there's definite sadness and nostalgia with the passing of time and losing characters it felt more like a more sweet than bitter 'the cycle of life goes on' to me. And yeah, there are only a few actual 'horror' scenes but they spare nothing, which feels very unique. I've read genre mashups before but they almost always sand down the horror to keep a more even tone.

One thing I really respect is that despite the massive page count and multiple references he never gets too much into Eleanor's family, which I definitely expected, particularly in the last part when they boat into the swamp. I was expecting a big exposition dump that thankfully never arrived. He wisely left it at 'they're river catfish monsters' and you don't have like, a huge Little Mermaid style confrontation with Eleanors parents. Admittedly I was listening on audiobook and there were definitely references I wanted to jump back to that I was unable to so I likely missed some nice details. I'll need to give it a real read when I can slam a huge tome down again.

I'll give a plug for the Elementals as well, which is very similar in some ways but inverts the family drama/horror percentages. A good snack compared to the banquet that is Blackwater

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Paddyo posted:

Wow, thanks for the recommendation! About halfway through Dark Matter and it's great. Super atmospheric with a sense of creeping dread that I'm really enjoying. And yeah, the narrator for the audiobook is top notch.

I really liked that one so I picked up a couple of her other books and Thin Air is also good but it’s basically the same book. Giving it a break before trying Wakenhurst, that one looks a little different at least.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Paddyo posted:

Someone earlier said Thin Air is basically Dark Matter in the mountains, which tbh sounds pretty cool.

It was me and yeah it’s very good just give it some space between the two since they’re really really similar. I have wakenhurst but haven’t gotten around to it yet

Those Across the River is… weird. I didn’t really enjoy reading it much but I’ve thought about the big horror scene maybe once a year so it definitely left an impression.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

value-brand cereal posted:

A God in the Shed by J F Dubeau

First in a series. Duology, I think? I've only read this book and not the sequel. I liked the supernatural aspect and the folk horror. I wish the rest of the book was more like the beginning. It's kind of 'small town secrets and sins involving arcane rituals that are coming to a violent, blood conclusion'. It's more a gothic horror than high tension horror. Definitely creepy. I think it could be read as a standalone, but what I read of the sequel was pretty good. I should really finish it.

I just read this and it starts strong and while has some creepy, propulsive charm, none of the adult characters behavior really made any sense at all and the late attempt to explain it by introducing an unchangeable prophecy element was very dumb! Also if you're going to have every single adult in the town be in on it, you can make a pretty effective scene out of that. What you can't do is go one by one and have each chapter end with a twist of 'this person was in on it!' over and over again. I was straight up laughing at it by the fourth or fifth time. Has anyone read the sequel? I'm mixed on continuing because I found the ending unsatisfying and if the second ends with another pseudo cliffhanger I'll just pass.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

newts posted:

As someone who does really like the series, I agree with all of this.

I think the first book is pretty weak. And it really reads like a ‘first in series’ book where the author really didn’t know where he wanted things to go, or even know what the world he’s writing about would be like in terms of the supernatural. I didn’t have much of a problem with the characters, but I do think the characters get better and become memorable, although Charlie does stay a bit of a cipher, which is apparently a choice by the writer. I think by the third book, I was completely hooked.

Connolly doesn’t really stop his ‘research info dumps’. I kind of like them, though. He also does that King thing where he introduces everyone in town and their entire sordid history to establish a new setting.

Would you recommend just starting with the second?

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

It's good, and while not horror, it's not NOT horror either. The mix of very authentic and emotional characters with the pastiche of 'wild west but on mars' sometimes clashed tonally for me though. It's hard to go from a very real feeling sense of a child's disillusionment with authority to 'jefferson davis' space program' in like two sentences.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Finished The Spite House on thread recommendation, enjoyed it quite a bit, and it’s definitely one of the better endings to a haunted house story I’ve read. I’ll have to check out some of his other work

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

I've pasted so many recommendations from this thread into my to read notes that I'm starting to have a hard time finding things. After reading and enjoying Night Film, I'm in the mood for more film horror in that vein but digging through my notes I'm not seeing a huge standout. Burn the Negative looks a little campy, Dead Eleven I'm not 100% sure why I had filed in that pile. Thinking the Devil's Playground?

EDIT: Oh or Experimental Film which seems like the most direct analogue maybe.

Yarrington fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

R.L. Stine posted:

drat this destroyed me. Is their other work this good too? I remember really liking His Face All Red when it was making the internet rounds. For that matter, are there any graphic novels or comic omnibuses that might scratch a horror itch? I just finished Harrow County, it was pretty great, but grounded spooky hauntings and a generally heavy atmosphere are my poo poo.

I've searched reddit for recommendations but it's hit or miss and usually there is very little if any context or description provided

Maybe an obvious one but Alan Moore's "Providence".

EDIT: Just realized I walked into the 'little context or description provided". It's superficially his take on Lovecraft, and most of the issues riff on a specific story but in the context of a frame story that's pure Alan Moore. A wealth of historical detail, and parts really emphasize the horror of things that have become fairly rote/tropes by now (the mind/body swap issue really got under my skin). Benefits from either a reference or an encyclopedic knowledge of the extended canon, but doesn't require it. It has a lot on its mind.

Yarrington fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 18, 2024