Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fallom posted:

Is there a place where people have had a good discussion on North American Lake Monsters? I just finished it today and I've got lots of questions about what certain stories were all about since I'm totally thick when it comes to themes and symbolism.

I think "Wild Acre" was probably my favorite story.

I actually just picked that up today on the recommendation of this thread, as well as Teatro Grottesco by Ligotti. I'm two stories into Teatro Grottesco and I feel like I need a shower from Ligotti's prose. I love it and I'm delighted to hear that he's just as weird and hosed up in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What's the evidence of Ligotti being crazy in real life? Like, it comes through pretty obviously in his writing, but people refer to him as a weirdo IRL and I haven't seen any evidence.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm about halfway through Teatro Grottesco now and I love how he turns the fluorescent 9-5 office job into a cosmic horror all its own. It's like some weird mix of Lovecraft, Kafka, and anti-capitalism.

I'm digging it. You can tell he has a very odd world view and is cripplingly anxious, but I don't DISAGREE with him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fallom posted:

Wounds was so good! It’s like Ballingrud took the best elements from Barker’s Books of Blood and Lovecraft’s Kadath stories.

Oh come on, Lake Monsters was next on my to-read list, but now you've gone and described my perfect book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And the room is lit solely by old carnival signs

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Crossposting(ish) from the "what did you just finish" thread, but I finally finished Teatro Grottesco and... man I was really running out of steam near the end.

I think it's just the nature of his short story style, but by the end it started to feel formulaic - at least the way he plays with nihilism and despair as sources of horror. Each story started to feel like "hi, I'm [x] the insignificant person. Let me tell you about another person I know. They told me nothing is meaningful, and I saw some weird things by hanging around this person. That person disappeared and now I agree nothing matters."

Ligotti is a bit of a one-trick pony it seems (judging only from this book), but I must say, the trick he does is VERY GOOD. I want to read more of his stuff, but I need a break. Maybe North American River Monsters next!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bilirubin posted:

Lake Monsters. Rivers are mostly not deep enough to have very good monsters. Just saying.

Doh, good catch. I meant Lake Monsters.

nankeen posted:

that's his thing lol, he is an actual crazy person obsessively writing the same story over and over

Oh poo poo that actually makes a lot of sense now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you guys really need to read crampton, the teleplay that ligotti wrote, unsolicited, for the x-files

hahaha I love this man

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, David Tibet's publishing company put it out, it came with a cd of Ligotti reciting poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fetSoZFyBw

They're both great artists in their own right, but good lord I'm getting a headache just thinking about being in the same room as both David Tibet and Thomas Ligotti at the same time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Catfishenfuego posted:

I've now read two collections of Laird Barron and I can safely say I do not like Laird Barron.

Send them to me, I'll read em

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm about 70 pages into Paperbacks From Hell and already I'm LOVING IT. What a ridiculous fun read and I've added so many things to my "to read" list now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And if you hunt around you can still find some of the books for cheap. I have a copy of Satan's Love Child coming to me for $8 shipped :toot:

I still wish I could find a copy of Let's Go Play at the Adams' for cheap. I'm realizing I'm more drawn to the sick and depraved stuff :shrug:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bilirubin posted:

Wounds trailer is out. Can I post it here or should it go TVIV?

Oh poo poo, I saw a poster for that, is it based on the Balingrud book?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Flaggy posted:

Based upon the horror novella, The Visible Filth, by Nathan Ballingrud

Not, you know, "Wounds", by Nathan Ballingrud??

edit-- Ah, I just watched the trailer. The Visible Filth is a better name :colbert: but yeah you're right

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 30, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think it's a great book at that price.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How is the first book in that series, "I Am Behind You"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

fauna posted:

i'm dreaming of a ligotti family christmas

Everyone shivering in separate corners of the dining room, yelling incoherently with tear-filled eyes unfocused, and a jester marionette dancing on the dinner table?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who buys books to read them, and just needs them intact with the words inside: :psyduck:

Lol if you actually read all the books you collect

:smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What are the best stories to look forward to in North American Lake Monsters? The first story was a great little spook, but "SS" just felt like some slice of life story in a Nazi gang? Was there a monster I missed, or horror at all?

Or am I a dummy and those characters are revisited in a later story?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

you got that the mom was a cannibal right

Ah. I did not. I mean, I sort of did?

Anyway I get it, it's me that's the dummy. But the more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. It's definitely Stephen King-esque where the horror is a backdrop to the interpersonal drama.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 27, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Okay I just finished "The Crevasse" and I'm hooked the gently caress back in. Wow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Especially The Monsters of Heaven.

I just finished this one (work is slow today).

Wow. I can't remember reading something during the daylight hours that made me shiver with discomfort before, but that was expertly written. The way Ballingrud tangles together social status, sexuality, loss, grief, and animal-like violence is just... wow.

edit-- even if I do just picture this in my mind:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ah gently caress, "Sunbleached" was heartbreaking. I can't tell if Joshua died at the end or not though, like - burnt up in the sun, I mean

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And now I've finished the book. Honestly, I regret saying bad things about it earlier. "S.S." was a low point for me, but everything else was just outstanding.

I had to take a walk outside after "The Good Husband" because I was very close to breaking down into sobs throughout the whole thing. It just was so real and genuine and heartbreaking. I can't believe how consistently good this whole book was.

But also:

https://twitter.com/NBallingrud/status/1192901455826575366

I'm so excited for this now, but how in the HELL are they going to adapt "The Way Station"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Not trying to clown on you or anything COOL CORN, but S.S. was really, really good. I can't even really place the feeling it gave me, but after finishing it I felt like had to... breathe out.

Rather, if that was a low point, I'm really excited to get to the rest of the stories.

Hey, different strokes, it's all good! I'm glad you liked it, and the bottom line is the collection is one of my favorite books now so, yeah enjoy it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, can I please get a Thomas Ligotti recommendation? I've read his recent non fiction book and want to buy my mom one of his horror novels; she (and I) like Stephen King if that helps.

Teatro Grottesco is really good. It's the only one I've read, but I'm told it's the most "accessible" story-wise.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

In more interesting news, The Cipher is finally getting a paperback rerelease in September.

Cool that should save me about $100

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who's doing it? I want to prowl their website.

https://www.meerkatpress.com/books/the-cipher/

Cover looks pretty dope, imo

edit- September 2020 release

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 7, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would switch to an ereader but I hate reading on a screen. I guess I could get a Kindle Paperwhite but I'm a dirty commie who doesn't want to give Amazon the money for all my ebooks :/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Flaggy posted:

I have an old one I can send you bub. I got it for free and so can you! I use the Kindle App on an Ipad because its easier than carrying the multiple books around that I am currently reading.

You're a good friend, Flagman

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

Is there a secret to getting free paperwhites?

Flaggy and I are friends outside the forums, it's not just random benevolence :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just found out Nathan Ballingrud will sign your books for free if you buy them from the local book store near where he lives :kiddo:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I know that apparently the “Wounds” movie was a disappointment

Partially because it wasn't based on the "Wounds" book!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hes the best horror writer of the 20th century and its not even close

Weird that you're talking about Ballingrud, but your last post mentions Aickman?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

Or someone doesn't understand how centuries are identified.

...good point. It'll be the 20th century for the rest of my life, in my mind.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
https://twitter.com/NBallingrud/status/1219685352379756544?s=20

Come onnnnn I neeeedddd itttttttt

(Monsterland being the Hulu series adaptation of NALM)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Visible Filth is a short story contained in Wounds.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just thought back on The Monsters Of Heaven and The Good Husband and felt a very profound sadness and despair

Haha thanks Nathan :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
ligotti: -curls into a fetal position in the corner and starts screaming-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've only read Teatro Grottesco but it was great