Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the elevator pitch to get people to read ligotti?

Imagine the pessimistic societal insignificance of Kafka mixed with the cosmic horrific insignificance of Lovecraft. Ligotti turns this on his audience, causing them to grapple with the brutal reality that they are living a meaningless nightmare, and anyone who feels otherwise is simply acting out an optimistic fallacy.

I've read a lot of horror, and Ligotti's the only author who's made me uncomfortable with my very existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think there's parts of TD where he literally quotes Conspiracy Against the Human Race verbatim

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Good Husband and The Monsters of Heaven or whatever it's called are two of my favorite stories of all time now and I can't wait to see how they translate to the screen

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I don’t know if I’ve ever enjoyed reading something as much as I was enjoying reading “The Butcher’s Table.” Every sentence, every turn of the page was a goddam delight.

Literally what I was about to post. Nathan just posted on Twitter that it got included in Best Horror of the Year vol. 12 (ed. Ellen Datlow) :3:

but i would go so far as to say it's one of the best horror stories ever written

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

A more existential “The Butcher’s Table”

drat, you stuck the landing on that one. I'm sold.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Have any of y'all ever encountered a book that's too obscene or grotesque or unsettling? I just realized that's happened to me movies but never with books. Maybe it has something to do with the limits of my imagination. I'm not sure but now I want to push myself!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

escape artist posted:

New Ballingrud story, Scream Queens, is a loveletter to 70s horror cinema while being a harrowing story on its own. When I finished it, I went back and read it a second time.

Final Cuts is on my short list to buy soon. I'm currently working through Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory, but I'll probably buy it after.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
AHHHHHH AAAAHHHH

quote:

He says later in the thread that four of the episodes are based on stories from NALM, the other four are original stories by the show's writing staff.

Ehhhh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah like, even if you don't like one of the collections as much as the other, they're both still Ballingrud which puts than head and shoulders above a lot of stuff

There were a couple stories from NALM that made me sob on a deep existential level (a lot of that was thanks to Nathan's prose) - The Monsters Of Heaven and The Good Husband. I hope either of those are done justice in the new show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thom and the Heads posted:

I finished North American Lake Monsters last night. I liked it a lot - I think Wounds is definitely the better collection but I think The Good Husband might be the most affecting story I read out of the two.

That story is incredibly heartbreaking. Both collections end on incredibly strong notes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ffffffffffff GIVE IT TO ME NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgtaf-KxeA

Edit-- after tweeting back and forth with Nathan, these 3 are confirmed:

- You Go Where It Takes You
- The Monsters From Heaven
- The Good Husband

I assumed the fourth was "The Way Station" but he said that's not it.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 10, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

remigious posted:

I thought I would hate skullpocket because it seemed kind of twee at first, but now it’s one of my favorite short stories!

It's a lovely heartfelt journey that has a nice payoff. It's extremely Clive Barker in tone, which I think works really well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yep I binged the one big audiobook too. It's an incredibly-crafted story, and I can't believe how much it drew me in. Super super good, one of my favorites.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah, Blackwater is so good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ariza posted:

Can anyone recommend any books that deal with suicide? Thanks! :cool:

The last story, "The Good Husband", in Nathan Balingrud's North American Lake Monsters deals with this theme and is absolutely heartbreaking but amazing.

But also

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just read my first splatterpunk novel, Aron Beauregard's The Slob.

Hoo boy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm a chunk of the way through Kathe Koja's Cypher and it's such a strange book to get into. Like, it has some of the edgelordiness of Palahniuk, but the prose is SO GOOD that I'm just mesmerized by it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You had me at cosmic horror and splatterpunk

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is pretty good

Yeah I'm halfway through and the stories have all been average to great, no real stinkers so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I'd say the stories range from 2/5 to 4.5/5 stars. There's some really good hits and a couple misses. But for being a free quick read I really enjoyed it.

I think Every Day For The Rest of Your Life was my favorite story, even though it was very uncomfortable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DreamingofRoses posted:

So I’m listening to North American Lake Monsters again. I listened to it before but never finished the very last story, now I’m stuck on Crevasse because of dog death. It keeps striking me how the most horrific part of each story isn’t the blatantly ‘horror’ bits, but the mundane emotions and reactions to them.

These stories are so good, they make my stomach hurt.

Ahhhhhh the last story is the best one of the bunch!! Oh my gosh, you need to finish it!

---

I just finished Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana and it was... fantastic. Emotionally and viscerally gut-punching the whole way through, but holy hell what a great read it was.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm over halfway through Poppy Z. Brite's Exquisite Corpse, and I'm having trouble deciding if a) this isn't actually horror, or if b) I'm just super desensitized at this point.

Like, yeah, there's a lot of gross visuals, but to me it's just a really depressing love story that happens to have murder in it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just finished Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite and it was wonderfully written and an absolutely heartbreaking LGBTQ novel. Super disturbing too. I enjoyed it a lot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Three Body Problem is like 2/3 a book about dealing with trauma in a communist country while weird spooky things happen, and then 1/3 a physics lesson

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can I get recommendations for good horror with images of cannibalism? I’m running an RPG with that as a central theme, and I find it easiest to do that by just filling my brain with stuff to steal from. I’ve read a bunch already but feel free to give obvious ones too cause maybe I missed obvious stuff. Extra bonus if I can get it cheap and digitally cause the game is in two weeks so I don’t want to wait too long.

Recently I read Off Season by... Jack Ketchum I think? It was excellent and had weird hosed up cannibals.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Segue posted:

Just finished The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones and it's very solid. He's actually a very good writer with deeper characters than a lot of horror writers and the Indigenous setting and characters added a nice freshness to what can be a stale white man terror genre. Plus basketball!

Yeah! My wife and I binged through the audio book on a road trip last month and it was really good. SGJ writes fantastic characters, and the underlying mythology of the whole thing (if that's even a fair word to use, since it's based in Native folklore) is expressed wonderfully.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm about halfway through The Troop by Nick Cutter, and it's EXCELLENT but... (big spoiler question here)

this is basically just The Thing with boyscouts, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just finished The Final Girl Support Group which was super fun and good. I know that the characters are supposed to be based on popular slasher final girls, but who was Chrissy supposed to be? they mention the movie Gnomecoming and also something about a prom night and I'm stumped.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Darko posted:

I think Chrissy just didn't have an analogue. She was generic, I guess.

That's kinda what I figured

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks to Famethrowa in the TBB secret Santa, I started reading Negative Space by B. R. Yeager and holy poo poo what a ride. It's like if the movie Kids was a cosmic horror. I'm loving it so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Famethrowa posted:

:cheers:

Curious on your thoughts on the ending, whenever you get there

I'm about 60% through it right now, but I keep thinking about it when I'm not reading it. It's got its hooks in me, for sure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just finished up Negative Space (thanks again Famethrowa!) and really really liked it. The content is bleak, but the prose is absolutely gorgeous, even as everything starts to unravel and fall apart. The whole thing felt like if Gummo had more cosmic horror and was way more surreal. I'm still processing the ending, but I like that it was uhh... I dunno, nothing wrapped up in a neat package. Instead of fading to black, like a movie, everything kind of faded to... blurry. The ending felt like a panic attack happening in slow motion.

Now to go read all the spoiler text over the last couple pages.

Edit-- whoops, there's only two posts with spoiler text! my thoughts:
Yeah, the addiction angle is obviously very strong here, and you can see how insidious and cancerous it can be, sometimes even literally. The way that Yeager gives the "high" a more absolute purpose (seeing... ghosts? demons? whatever the threads are?) is a great way of communicating to the reader that there's a reason they can't just stop. In the book, they're literally keeping evil at bay, not just keeping themselves out of withdrawals. And the cancerous hacking and coughing that the family members start to have is a really striking metaphor for the grief of watching someone you love throwing their life away.
As for the ending, yeah, it was pretty fuckin' bleak. Everyone in the end had been torn apart by Tyler, even if they "got out". Lu had the "happiest" ending, and even still ruminated on how nothing really mattered and she wouldn't have anyone to remember her. Everyone that knows her has disappeared thanks to the WHORL and everything that happened. Ahmir's story was downright heartbreaking. Jill managed to find love again but her trauma from Tyler metaphorically (and literally) killed her love.

All in all it was haunting, and I'll be thinking about it for a while. One of the best books I've read this year, even if it's not one I can really recommend to my friends, haha.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 17, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Recent book thoughts:

The Deep by Nick Cutter -- I didn't like it as much as The Troop, but it was... fine. It had some really fun scenes but it really felt like it retreaded a lot of what The Thing and The Abyss did. It wasn't very inventive, but I don't feel like I wasted my time either. 3/5

Along The Path of Torment by Chandler Morrison -- Jesus take the wheel, this was a rough one. Imagine if American Psycho took place in 2000s Hollywood, was written by Marquis de Sade, and... yeah. It was a really interesting look into how past trauma can turn you into an absolute unfeeling monster, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart. I gave it 4/5.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah there's definitely bees, and there's definitely something akin to what you're describing, but I don't remember dick bees

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aron Beauregard is a super nice guy to deal with and I'm excited to dig into these gross offerings

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got in late on Aron Beauregard's hardcover pre order for Nightmare Nirvana, and so what did he do? Sent me his author's Copy :neckbeard: he's such a great guy in addition to being a great author

He set out to make an adult version of the classic Scary Stories books and so far it's pretty wonderful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I really enjoyed Things Have Gotten Worse, and I also have You've Lost a Lot of Blood on my reading pile.

Also just today his new book, We Can Never Leave This Place, came in the mail! I love his book covers

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I recently finished Stolen Tongues by Felix Blackwell , and it was pretty excellent. It does indigenous horror very well, and the epilogue includes a short essay written by the author on what it means to write indigenous horror as a non-indigenous person, and how to do that responsibly. So, I really respect that.

I'm about a third of the way through Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehle, and I LOVE it. It's sort of a mix between historical fiction and Dark Souls, and I'm absolutely looking for more of that sort of thing.

[edit-- apparently my brain shorted out at the end of that last sentence]

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 21, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Wonderful thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's more "dark fairy tale thriller" than horror, but the horror groups on Facebook have been fishing about it so...

You ever read a book and, even before you finish it, you already know it's going to rank among your favorites of all time? I just binged Winterset Hollow over the course of 2 days and I can't believe how good it was.

I'm shocked that this is the only book Jonathan Edward Durham has published because the prose is incredible.