Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Behold! It is I! I bestow upon you...my dirty dipey!

Vastarien posted:

I always recommend Teatro Grottesco as the best place to start with Ligotti. It contains a lot of his best work imo and its maybe a bit more "accessible" than Songs/Grimscribe.

Teatro Grottesco is where I started and what I would recommend also. "The Town Manager" is still my favorite Ligotti story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

The biggest Lovecraftian parallel I found in The Lighthouse would have to be "The Temple." Both stories focus heavily on isolation and are somewhere between psychological and supernatural horror. Plus you have eerie graven images that take on almost religious significance in both stories. In The Lighthouse it's a scrimshaw mermaid and in "The Temple" it's a small ivory carving of a Grecian youth

And since Winslow is a Canadian timber man you could always read Blackwood's "The Wendigo" :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Tertius Oculum posted:

You had me at X-Files.

I'm checking these out immediately.

Edit: lol after playing a ton of Death Stranding, checking the synopsis of Agents of Dreamland, I see Signalman and I'm definitely :getin: now

There's also a Charles Dickens short story by that name and it's excellent

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Hodgson rules. Of the many authors from that era who did "Sherlock Holmes but supernatural" his are the best. I would highly recommend House on the Borderland and his Sargasso Sea stories. Plus he has the rare distinction among weird fiction authors of being a total babe

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

DreamingofRoses posted:

Have you actually read “The Mound”?

Also, about HPL stories, y’all might enjoy Witch House Media’s HPPodcraft Literary podcast. They went over all of the stories (so you get summaries instead of having to read them) and then went onto reading the stories discussed in his Supernatural in Literature essay, and now they’re onto just weird fiction in general. Good for getting a sense of HPL if you don’t want to read his stories.

I've been listening to this podcast for like 10 years now :corsair:

It's fantastic. I read all of Lovecraft's stuff alongside the podcast and I agree that there are maybe 5 stories worth a read, but Supernatural Horror in Literature was an excellent springboard into Lovecraft's influences who are almost always better writers. Bierce, du Maupassant, Machen, Blackwood, Wakefield, Cram, etc. are way more worthwhile, but to Lovecraft's credit he does excel at one or two things stylistically.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Carmilla by Sheridan le Fanu is excellent

The Vampyre by John Polidori is another good one

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I completely, unironically love the idea of trying to justify “rounding up” to what genre something is : look, he sort of comes back from the dead to do violence and he’s a count ; The Count of Monte Cristo is basically a vampire story.

IIRC a few nobles refer to Dantes as "Lord Ruthven" when he appears in society, which is the name for the Byronic vampire in Polidori's The Vampyre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I do a lot of travelling for my new job and I have been using audio books and was curious what are some great narrated horror books.

Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (narrated by David Warner)
Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay (narrated by Joy Osmanski)
Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce (narrated by Anthony Heald)
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (narrated by Emma Thompson)