Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro put out a new book a couple of months ago, The Hollow Ones. I picked it up the other day because it was on sale and having recently finished it I would say that it was just okay. The main problem the book has is that there's not a lot of tension as the main characters and the monster they're chasing barely interact. There's a scene at the beginning of the book and then a fight at the end but between they're just kind of doing their own thing. In the end the book feels like it is just the backstory for how the two main characters meet and start working together and that the real story will be in the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FPyat posted:

Is there any good apocalyptic/disaster/all-of-society-is-hosed-up horror? I find a horror story's predicament to be more unsettling if it endangers a larger number of people, the fear not being isolated to a cabin or location but ever-present - specifically, I have in mind the way an entire town is doomed in Junji Ito's Uzumaki. One thing that seems like it'll appeal to me is the podcast I Am In Eskew.

There's Bird Box which focuses on a smaller group but has the whole world falling apart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

OK so I'm several stories into Books of Blood (all volumes are combined--these are the first from volume 1) and I have to post up. I've never read Clive Barker before but he's funny, engaging, sympathetic, entertaining, also loves him some gore and gross imagery. Protagonists are just as likely to persevere and survive just fine as die in gruesome, horrible ways. Usually both in sequential stories. After all of the psychological horror I've been reading this hits in the gut in just the right way. Really really enjoying this so far

There's a reason Barker was super huge in the 80s. When he had it, he had it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I also like space horror so while I don't have much to add I'm glad you brought it up so I can see any others. (Blindsight owns, btw.)

Not a book, but Pandorum is probably the best, recent sci-fi horror film around. It has problems but we only get so many entries in this niche genre so I will stan it to my dying breath.

It has been a while since I've read it but from what I remember Hull 03 is pretty similar in tone to Pandorum.

von Metternich posted:

Just read a bunch of Space Horror, here’s my reviews:

The Last Astronaut: Good story, creepy aliens, some gross body horror, and a satisfying mystery. Also a good side plot about the relationship between a near-bankrupt NASA and not-Elon-musk’s space company. I thought it was hurt by the framing narrative of the book being a retrospective documentary, just telling the story straight up would have been better.

I also just finished this and I agree that the framing device didn't really add anything to the plot. Also it could have used less traveling around scenes where almost nothing happens. Something I did find funny about the book is how one chapter ends with the NASA guy going "Alright, you need to train these three people to actually be astronauts!" and then the book just skips all the training and just goes straight to the crew in space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I also read Obscura based on the recommendations. I liked it overall but I was expecting it to be more of a metaphysical horror rather than psychological. Mainly based on the weird way the people on the station were acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Traxis posted:

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix, maybe?

Speaking of Grady Hendrix I liked We Sold Our Souls. Also, nonfiction but Paperbacks from Hell is a fun read, it's about the horror novel boom of the 70s and 80s. Going over how trends changed over time and talking about notable examples.