Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I there anything that is like "evocative of Magnus Archive and kinda like creepypasta but good"? I guess the keywords would be contemporary, potentially technological, grody and evoking dread.

The last horror I read was House of Leaves, loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Played Control, GOTY contender 100%. I've wanted to check out Southern Reach after watching Annihilation, and I'll check out Raw Shark. Thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Raw Shark Texts work on a kindle? I would never ever read House of Leaves on anything other than paper, but I get the impression Raw Shark might not be quite as, uh, experimental.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I don't have a paperwhite, but I have a 10gen kindle bought this Christmas so I assume it's still modern. Still, I'd like to make sure before I take the chance on digital instead of print, so if anyone else knows, shout out.

I did buy North American Lake Monsters though, because anything that sears itself into one's mind is totally my poo poo, I think.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Do you live near a library? If so, just put a hold on their website and go pick it up for free sometime.

I live in Norway, so while we have good rear end libraries, original language English niche fiction isn't always guaranteed.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Library only has the Norwegian translation of Raw Shark and I'm not even giving that a chance. Oh well, can't have enough print books!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Not trying to clown on you or anything COOL CORN, but S.S. was really, really good. I can't even really place the feeling it gave me, but after finishing it I felt like had to... breathe out.

Rather, if that was a low point, I'm really excited to get to the rest of the stories.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Simply cannot get over how loving good Sunbleached (NALM) was. That final line is just genuinely beautiful.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I have no idea what any of you are talking about, I always just jump at the chance to read something people are excited for, but; is there any reason to not just buy the e-book?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, getting a paperwhite has... changed me.

but nah, I get the point and I'm totally on board with avoiding e-books if it's not one's boat, but it kinda sounded like there was no alternative except paying 200 bucks or something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Absolutely not. But also, I'm genuinely running out of space for books and there's still gonna be a while until I can get a place of my own to stack 'em wherever I want. And I'm terminally unable to get rid of old books.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

That's the dream. But with a paperwhite, I can also read in the bathtub!

I don't have a bathtub though...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think there's one subsection of the population that never needed an e-reader, one that tried one and found that they needed it and one that never tried one but still knew they needed one, and I'm part of the latter. I've never been happy reading books off screen, it's always been a strain, and when I got my kindle it was just like "ah, yeah this just works".

But gently caress Amazon, can't say that enough, this is not an advertisement. Steal a kindle.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yo what's good space horror?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I was thinking books though, but thanks anyway!

Edit: for reference, I've read Blindsight twice and I love it.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thanks for all the recommendations! With both sci-fi and horror being occasionally tricky genres, I guess it's a given that good sci-fi horror might be hard to pin down, but I have a lot to go on here. Keep 'em coming if you've got 'em!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well, I finally finished NALM. I'd kept putting off the last story, perhaps out of no small degree of trepidation, perhaps because it's hard to end things sometimes. I think the wait made it even better though. In some ways, I feel that all the other stories built up to The Good Husband, and with all the varied strengths of the rest of the tales, this one felt the most like pure horror. Utterly magnificent.

North American Lake Monsters is loving good. Read it if you haven't (though who in this thread haven't?).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

On the other hand, the host/writer/main actor's parents act in the show and it's so wholesome and great and also good.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, that's what makes it so very effective, and there's uncomfortable triggers for everyone. My personal thing was anything that had to do with animals, and the preponderance of failed human beings.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

One of my favorite quotes, by Wes Craven, is "Horror films don't create fear. They release it."

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The books channel of a discord I'm in also has someone discover Ligotti once a week so I guess that's just how it is. I haven't read any yet because I'm trying to keep my reading/to read under ten books but I'm very much gonna get there soon.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I hope Ligotti gets kicked in the head by a horse a year before his death and it cures his anhedonia so he can experience something other than existential dread before he goes. :unsmith:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

- He's nearing completion on his next book, "The Strange", and it's a "dark Martian fantasy" novel.

What the gently caress hell yes?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Man the greatest crime ever committed was the cover they chose for the Blackwater collected edition. The originals were so iconic.

Compare these gorgeous covers

To this cartoon nonsense

that's a loving newgrounds narrative anime game rear end cover right there

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Can you add "Ligotti" to the black in like rgb (1, 1, 1) or something so that it only shows up when you tilt your phone just so or when the death of a pixel does something strange to your monitor?

Also for my doom gangtang I think we just whined at the games mod and then they did it.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It sort of reminds me of uh, what's that one where aliens appear and a linguist figures out their language and it breaks her sense of time and causality? I get the same kind of feeling from special plan were there's some kind of extremely weird woldview that cracks... idk some kind of logical relationship that people take for granted.

Arrival.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The second one is easier to see but more, uh, accessible? The first one is possible to see, barely. It's nigh impossible to see any of them against the white forum background, but if you open them in a new tab it's easier.

Edit: Also should they be narrower, maybe? I feel like a lot of gangtangs are a little more narrow.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gonna see if I can beg some favors before any of you go on spending money. We could be lucky.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So PMing Hieronymous is a legit way to get it handled according to my buddy, but if they're slow on the response or won't play ball, my sources tell me entering a week of Thunderdome is a free ticket to a gang tang, even in perpetuity (if someone gives you new av, for example, you can get the tag amended, if you lose and get one of our famous losertars, the tag stays).

So yeah, wait for a reply from HA, or join our rotten ranks. Quid pro quo, mon amis.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

my Ligotti parody would be "the story turned out to be the terminal dream in the snowglobe of a man dying of alcohol poisoning because he spent every waking moment drinking scotch".

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

hell yeah I'm a Ligotti Lad now

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I did it through the Great Thunderdome Bonus Programme (see my earlier post), but we might want to DM Hieronymous Alloy again if Skyscraper doesn't get a reply, to facilitate fair and free gang tags for all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I also want a gang tag - and as far as the changes go, I think it's mostly to the new Penguin edition of Grimscribe?

poo poo, that's the one I have I think, if it's the Songs/Grimscribe one?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

(spoiling title in case anyone is a weirdo like me and doesn't want to risk being kinda spoiled on something they might read one day)

Scott Sigler's Infection series is dumb Clancy-esque body/gross-out horror, but it's incredibly fun, and I honestly think it would've been a little less fun if he tried to subvert the genre and give it all a grimdark pessimistic ending.

(actual spoilers)
Also like billions of people die so it's not exactly happy, but it does end with the heroes getting medals from the president.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I cried a bunch at the end of TD season 1 but also that was years ago and I wasn't on antidepressants then and I hadn't read Ligotti

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

praxis hypnotist dunks the bourgeoisie in corpse juice

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay so who is reading The Stand to celebrate our coronachan overlord? Seriously though, I actually get pretty bad anxiety about this sort of thing, and reading topical-ish horror about it helps for some reason. What would be some good plague or end-of-the-world horror for our fun timeline?

Mentioned them earlier, but the Infection series is good.

I mean, the last book is called Pandemic, so, you know.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Woof, that sounds rough. If I'm gonna read gross-out horror with somewhat problematic elements, I'll stick to rereading the Infected trilogy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

GhastlyBizness posted:

The Descent is a weird book, somehow tremendously compelling in that gonzo airport thriller way, really original high-concept plot, and yeah, some well written eerie deep time/geological stuff… alongside casual racism in exactly the way you’d expect from an airport thriller.

This gets me thinking, is there any good horror out there that really gets into the sort of peliagic horror of vast timescales? Obviously there's innumerable horror novels that deal with things from the distant past or beings from before the birth of the universe or whatever, but "eerie deep time" really puts me in mind of the frisson you get when there's a scene in a movie where a scients goes "well there has to be a mistake, carbon dating puts this at five million years before there were people here!" and things of that nature.

And while it's a bit off topic, I'd take recommendations in genres other than horror too. I just got a bit excited thinking about stuff so old it's scary.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thanks for all the recs! They all sound very intriguing, might have to suggest some caving to the role playing group.

I did end up buying The Descent too because it was cheap and I'm a dumbass and it looks like my kind of stupid fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

gently caress I had no idea, unfollowing now, and I'm reducing my patreon contributions by one tier.