Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Xiahou Dun posted:

You could try The Deep and settle a thread debate from pages ago on if there are in fact dick bees in that. (I swear there are, I’m not losing my mind.)

I regret to inform you that I have searched through the book for every mention of bees, and there are no dick bees.

HOWEVER, the book does say

They came quickly after that. From my arms and legs and neck and cheeks. From my toes and thighs and buttocks and a few very small specimens from the thin vein-strung flesh of my scrotum.

In summary, bee is stored in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

But he's one of the most successful writers of that era, and he's got loyal fans, so I'm dipping my toe back in with Phantoms. So far it's fine. Did I pick a good one? Phantoms and Watchers get recommended the most, and I picked the shorter one that doesn't use his magic dog trope (as far as I know).

It’s one of the Koontz books I have the fondest memories of, and I remembered thinking Lightning was pretty good as well. Honestly, though, while I read a ton of Dean Koontz on reflection it was because I was a dumb kid with more reading comprehension than taste. It was an important part of developing my critical awareness though, realizing that he was overall a pretty bad writer.

As for Stephen king in chronological order, I’ve occasionally followed along with a podcast that is discussing the books in chronological order, but while King holds up in a lot of ways the cocaine years especially are just a lot of ground to cover.

https://rangedtouch.com/just-king-things/

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I've been listening to random episodes of The Kingcast, which gets really good guests.

I'll try out Just King Things with their Roadwork episode, since I just finished that one. Thanks for the rec.

Thankfully the prose in Phantoms has been fine so far. Dialogue's a bit dumb, though.

Any episodes of the king cast in particular that have good guests?

And yeah, “competent but kind of dumb” is the Koontz wheelhouse.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

I read a ton of Koontz when I was in middle school as well, and yeah, he's got a kind ofworkmanline madlibs approach to horror novels (or at least with the ones up until about 1994), where he just kinda selects a couple of random monster-y characteristics, then writes a book around them. I especially remember the one with the teleporting protagonist and the psychic villain with four balls and no dick for sheer ludicrousness.

I have hazy memories of that being The Bad Place where the four balls no dick person impregnates themselves to have selfcest psychic babies, right?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Experimental Film is up near the top of that list for me. Gemma Files is fantastic.

Could also be a decent recommendation for an investigative book that doesn’t foreground cops, seeing as how it’s about a research project instead.