Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Owlkill posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for sea/underwater-themed horror? Don't mind whether it's short stories or longer-form stuff - just tried scuba diving for the first time and it have me a horrors-from-the-depths itch

Last time I read "Sphere" was 20 years ago, but I remember being pretty creeped out by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Finished a few horror novels as that's generally all I read in September and October:

North American Lake Monsters: Loved most of this collection. Wish Ballingrud had more satisfying endings in general, but pretty incredible mood setting.

Wounds: Slight preference to this over NALM, but definitely different vibe. First and last stories were so loving great, and I wish I could read longer stories set in that world.

Institute and Firestarter: Agree with all the previous comments about both especially regarding their endings.

Song for the Unraveling of the World: Didn't love this. Started out with a pretty creepy atmosphere, but the rest felt like a kinda bad Ballingrud knock-off. Was pretty bored by the end.

Intensity: Only my second ever Koontz novel (with Phantoms back in middle school being my first). Definitely gripping and enjoyed the Edgler Vess character. Any recommendations from this crew on other Koontz books worth reading? Maybe less serial killer, more supernatural?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Sounds like I should leave Koontz alone for a while. I've gone through basically every recommendation in this thread so I was hungry for a bit more horror.

Currently reading The Troop, but I'm too early into it to know how good it is yet.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I would switch to an ereader but I hate reading on a screen. I guess I could get a Kindle Paperwhite but I'm a dirty commie who doesn't want to give Amazon the money for all my ebooks :/

Buy a used Kindle and then get all your e-books from the library. It's what I do, and Amazon gets none of my bucks.

Read Whisper Man on the rec of someone who said it was really scary. It was not. Outsider by King did a much better job of having creepy people outside of windows.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I finished reading The Cipher. I liked the first parts of it where they were investigating the Funhole and something resembling a mystery and horror stuff was happening. But then the next two thirds of the book was about a tedious toxic relationship and the Funhole seemed secondary to it. The main character seemed adamantly opposed to doing anything, which kills a lot of motivation for me, the reader, to care about the story. The book eventually felt like I was reading the same plot beat over and over again and then the book ends.

I felt the exact same way. I much prefered The Visible Filth even though I know it's not one of the favorites in Wounds.

Halfway through Carrier Wave right now, and I'm absolutely loving it. Every story is so instantly engaging and so intense. Hope this keeps up as this is my favorite horror reading experience since Wounds.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on the subject, which Koontz books are actually worth reading if you're not already a Koontz fan?

I actually quite liked Intensity. It's a serial killer thriller but it's very stressful, and I burned through the audiobook really quickly.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I just listened to North American Lake Monsters. Well written but I really felt like poo poo after. Is this similar?

I preferred Wounds, and I think it's mainly because the last story is really interesting and fun so I didn't end the book feeling like poo poo.

In general Wounds didn't make me feel like poo poo

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked? or maybe arent that well known? (i’ve read Ligotti’s collected works several times over to save you some time recommending anything by him)

recently read In That Endlessness, Our End by Gemma Files and honestly had some of the best short stories ive read in a long time, though there were a few that did nothing for me. i plan on hitting Experimental Film once i finish Between Two Fires, which was an excellent rec btw thread.

also you guys make me want to reread The Butcher’s Table everytime i get caught up on this thread.

I didn't like it much at the end of the day but by god The Ruins is so continuously depressing

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Sematary definitely isn't my favorite King book, but that little 2 page bit where Louis is chasing after Gage as they head towards the road might be the best thing he's ever written

Read this when my daughter was 3. Whole book wrecked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

cool, yeah if you know what you're getting into and it doesn't put you off then you should be fine. A friend of mine read it not really knowing what it was about, and he chose literally the worst time of his life to read it, and it kind of hosed him up for a little bit as a result, lol

Read it when my first kid was 3. Still the King book that haunts me most