Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

What other books or authors would y'all recommend that are similar to Adam Cesare? I think I've finished off his ouevre now and I like the shorter, simpler 80s horror movie aesthetic for listening to/reading at night time when I don't really want dense prose or trying to find layers to a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

I just started on 3 out of 4 of the Peter Clines' Threshold series. It really reminds me of shorter Stephen King. Overall spoilers, not really story related: Very long and interesting characterizations before poo poo goes bananas and people you feel like you know are destroyed. I know it's not the same as what I usually see suggested here, but it's what works for my brain.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

Did anyone finish the Peter Clines Threshold series? The fourth is audiobook only and I have a hard time with audiobooks if I'm not currently taking a long trip.

I really liked the first two books, enjoyed the third but it seemed to have nothing at all to do with the overarching narrative, especially after slowly trying to get through the fourth. They go back to older characters and stories and it's bizarre to me that a middle story is hundreds of years in the future on the loving moon. I really like the monsters though, so I keep going.

It's just a bizarre series.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread, so I bought The Cipher. God, that book is disgusting. Not the horror so much, just everyone in it and how they live and treat each other.

Anyone get Adam Cesare's new book? I bought it on Audible and quickly realized that I hate teenagers. Going to try to make it through the prologue again tonight, but I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

I got it, but haven't started it yet. You know it's a YA book, right? The teens aren't going away.

I know. I just got excited. I think I'd be fine with it in book form so I'll probably just buy it on Kindle. The lady reading just does a really good job being a teenager. I've listened to plenty of YA audiobooks and this was the first one I've turned off in a long time.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

ravenkult posted:

I'm okay with the humor missing, but not much into gore/violence.

A couple people suggested it before this caveat, but I must say you should not read Cipher. It's awful, awful people being loving awful, but the things that happen are pretty gory. I still think about it and it makes me feel sad.

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

Can anyone recommend any books that deal with suicide? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

Sorry, yeah I'm ok! Sunglasses emote was meant to be silly, bad taste. Just trying to deal with another friend shuffling off and I realized horror is how I best understand horrible things.