Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I've been catching up on this thread and the Cosmic Horror thread for about a week now and getting a ton of good recommendations.

I've seen most of the recommendations, but I didn't ever see mention of Japanese Horror stories. Anyone reading that stuff?

Also are there any Cyberpunk horror stories that are pretty decent? I've recently played through the Observer PC game and it was pretty slick, but want something in novel form, preferably audiobook /shrug not exactly the techno-psychological horror, but that's cool and all. I would like something in that setting but cosmic-y. idk
I've read Altered Carbon and it was decent, but not horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

I've yet to read the "Wonderland Cycle" starting with "Shadow of a Dead Star" but that was recommended to me when I asked if anyone had done Cosmic Horror/Cyberpunk before.

There's also the "Punktown" books. Not read too much of them, but what little I have read has been fun. They're more sci-fi/fantasy but have horror elements to them.

Jeff Noon's "VURT" is another one I'd recommend and it is totally bonkers. The best way I could describe VURT would be the Matrix meets Hellraiser... on acid (because I'm a lazy, boring comedy slag).

Thanks, added the Shadow of a Dead Star and VURT to my audible list!

To chime in on 14. I really liked the book (and narrator was decent). Its definitely a cool mystery about a weird cool old building. The horror is a bit mild, but the cosmic stuff is neat. Haven't really found anything similar yet.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Recently finished:
Ship of Fools - Thought it was overall pretty spooky. A few things let me down but the mystery at first was really cool.

Bird Box - I'd say it was a cool concept but let down there really was no description or info. We never got to see anyone experimenting with different image processing or the like. If video is affected, what about photos and still images etc, oh well. Cosmic horror was minimal I guess mild lol I'd rather see the event from some other point of view/characters. Movie didn't really do any better, maybe worse actually, after the book and Netflix's run lately thought it would be good.

The Cipher - I felt like having to shower after reading this lol not a terrible book. Interesting premise, hella 90s grunge so some nostalgic stuff.

Imago Sequence - Grabbed the audiobook, it's pretty cool, I've finished half of the stories in it including the title, like it for the most part so far.

Currently reading:
The Fisherman So far it's a pretty well written book. I think I'm almost done with the Dutchman's Creek tale. They just unhooked the Leviathan and the fisherman got hooked into the ocean. :0

Looking for:
Something similar to the X-files, either in government agency or etc investigates mysterious thing. Emphasis on investigation I guess. Though a cool partner dynamic would be nice. Seems like most stories are 'some dude gets spooked'. Area X series was close but I feel like that just teased it, would have been better if it was a prequel during the first expedition (waiting on that btw). Don't want to go looking for Stargate SG1 fanfic :/ Was mentioned to read laundry files, but looking for more recommends always.

Generally prefer spooky but if not I'm still willing to look into it.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Opinions on the Black Sloth?

I thought the Prossession of the Black Sloth wasn't bad. I liked it. All the different hells were neat and the way he described them with the video footage and everything was cool.

Though Imago Sequence overall is pretty decent too.

I also started on the Sick Lands (just learned from here) and it's kinda cool, but the format is meh, and definitely want more of a novel format for that story.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Cipher was good but different to house of leaves I thought.

The parts with Navidson were most investigative than the cipher ever got.

Recommendations:
Anything with camera footage?

Also The Descent? Or expedition like.

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 26, 2019

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Going through Growing Things now, but first couple stories have been alright. A bit weak in the spookyness for me. Still going through it, but nothings really unsettled me yet.

I think I liked Wounds more.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

The one link to Crampton is expired now :/

http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

I tried looking for another host but didn't find one, I forgot to save it locally.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

I've already read it, but the people who haven't would appreciate it, if the mods approve. :0

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

That would be nice. I need more weird poo poo.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Yeah, there is a serious deadzone for that type of fiction it feels like. You would think it would have some more decent recommendations.

Stuff like Rendezvous with Rama is out there but nothing super interesting that I know of.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

You had me at X-Files.

I'm checking these out immediately.

Edit: lol after playing a ton of Death Stranding, checking the synopsis of Agents of Dreamland, I see Signalman and I'm definitely :getin: now

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 24, 2019

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

And if you run out of heat just burn em.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Just finished The Deep last week and I'd have to agree with most of the opinions. It's OK, but I'm more of a Sci-fi Horror fan than body horror. Not a huge fan of domestic horror either. The setting was neat but I felt it was under utilized and focused a bit too much on psychological unreliability.

I wanted more Abyss/Leviathan/DeepstarSix vibes.

I did try The Troop audiobook as well awhile back but returned it about halfway through, it felt gross just to gross you out which I guess worked lmao idk.

I am looking for some good mystery horror now. I did Agents of Dreamland and it was ok, I have Black Helicopters as well but kinda looking for something else. I'm caught up with NALM and Wounds etc.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

The Cipher was cool, I'll probably pick up a physical copy when the reprint comes out.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA16881.wav

This is what I imagine all Ligotti's audiobooks would sound.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

The Alien 3 audible original is actually pretty cool btw

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Horror Thread: Gotti gang, Gotti gang, Gotti gang (Gotti gang!)

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Oh man, did I miss out on the gang tags???

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Thank you I am merely a vessel.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Lmao

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

^^^
Wounds by Ballingrud is better than Lake Monsters personally, might be worth checking out. To me it just has better settings and content.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

How much do you hate existing???

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Finally got around to Laird Barron's Blood Standard but was really hoping for more horror. It was decent for straight up crime novel but is there any thing with more horror vibes?

Also got around to Night Film and that was pretty great, really into the cursed objects/film stuff. Not sure where to go next from there though, I've seen a few recommendations in the thread already, just don't know which to pull the trigger on. I think it was Experimental Film and the one with the kid and VHS that I can't remember the name of.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Yeah, I've gone through Imago Sequence and Beautiful thing that awaits us all. Was gonna grab Man With No Name, cause Yakuza and horror sounds cool af.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So Night Film sure gets transphobic in a hurry, huh?

The main character is a consistently racist, misogynist piece of poo poo, so I can deal with a lot of the stuff in here, but when they visit an ultra-exclusive night club that can only be found through riddles and requires an invite from an elite patron, it's the tamest party in the world except for the fact that some of the women inside are trans. This is apparently the reason for the insane security and secrecy surrounding the place, and enough to make it a den of otherwise indescribable hedonism.

Like, I know the main character is expected to overreact upon seeing a woman with an Adam's apple, but there is nothing else in the narrative to make this place worthy of being spoken of in fearful whispers. It's a lame nightclub with a vaguely weird/interesting layout, elevated to apparent bachannalia status by the mere existence of trans people.

Am I overreacting or missing something here?

Uh, from what I remember it was run by Russian mobsters or something to do with drug trade.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Have you tried the Area X series?

I wish there was a book series like the Control game or more SCP type stuff.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Always down for r/nosleep gems, haven't been there in years but I remember the last cool one was that mold town series. Thought it was pretty cool.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1yimq3/infected_town/

drat it's been 6 years

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 10, 2020

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Nothing new but I recently got a copy of an anthology book called Lost Signals edited by Max Booth III I guess. Deals with spooky radios and signals. Not all gold but some really good ones in here. I think I just dig the creepy signal stuff. I'm only a third way through so it all may end up poo poo but so far not terrible. Some decent cosmic spookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Let me know what you think of Darkhorse Actual.

Thought it was really cool, but short. I wanted way more info on what was going on. Made me want to find some longer Miltary/Supernatural stuff to read.