Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Can anyone recommend any books that have a found footage/mysterious signals/numbers stations vibe? So far I've read:
House of Leaves
Transmission by Ambrose Ibsen
Experimental Film by Gemma Files
The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp
and the short story collection Lost Signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Fallom posted:

What's your opinion on those books? I'd like to try some out.

I really enjoyed Transmission, it was fairly creepy and paced extremely well. Experimental Film was ok but it definitely drags with all of the dry, technical bits about Canadian film history. I'm not a film nerd though so YMMV. The Last Days of Jack Sparks has an interesting premise but it falls apart by the end and most of the author's attempts at humor fall flat.

ravenkult posted:

I'm in this.

There's a sequel called Lost Films.

I'll check it out. What story is yours? My favorite was The Night Wire

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tertius Oculum posted:

The one link to Crampton is expired now :/

http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

I tried looking for another host but didn't find one, I forgot to save it locally.

I have an .epub version I can upload if a mod okays it, not sure if it would be considered :filez:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Here it is for anyone interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0d25zcf41zqz03/Ligotti%2C%20Thomas_%20Trenz%2C%20Brandon%20-%20Crampton.epub?dl=1

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I just watched the Wounds movie, it was really bad

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Has anyone read Adam Nevill's new book, The Reddening? Last Days was okay but I didn't enjoy The Ritual so I'm on the fence.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

grobbo posted:

I enjoyed True Detective but it drove me to the brink of madness.

Why would you lift directly from two horror authors, both of them exploring the inability of mankind to live with the revelations of the true, awful nature of the universe (and choose a theme song about being driven mad by a sight too strange to comprehend, no less), if you were going to conclude it by having the agents of civility triumph over backwoods weirdness and basically get over the whole pessimism thing, because maybe good things in this world are worth fighting for?

It's like Nic Pizzolato wrote and produced a prestige TV show with the aim of annoying me personally.

Ya, that last scene with them outside the hospital ruined the whole season.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Hey everybody. I have a sort of specific subgenre/trope? of horror lit I'm wondering if anyone could help find more examples of. I'm working through Universal Harvester and I'm really interested in more horror/thriller books with a focus on strange, disturbing or otherwordly media. Like weird unknown tapes, audio files of disturbing stuff, etc. A good example would be Night Film where the book is focused on a series of lost and disturbing giallo horror films and a search for their creator.

Check out the anthologies Lost Signals and Lost Films. Also Experimental Film by Gemma Files

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

von Metternich posted:

Currently reading Blindsight, open to any recommendations that are about creepy poo poo in space. Basically anything that reminds you of event horizon.

Check out Obscura by Joe Hart

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix, maybe?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Koko by Peter Straub, maybe? It is set after the war with flashbacks to the war itself so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I just finished Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana and it was... fantastic. Emotionally and viscerally gut-punching the whole way through, but holy hell what a great read it was.

Just finished this, it was pretty good. Insanely depressing, though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Need some good space horror. Preferably some "ancient civilization" Ghosts of Mars type stuff, but I'll take some Event Horizon

I haven't read it yet myself but The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski has been recommended a few times in this thread.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Sort of tangentially related, I tend to like horror that does something unique/interesting but honestly sometimes I just want to sit down and read something fun and entertaining, even if it is kind of predictable, and I don't feel like I've found a horror author who manages that. Stephen King is probably the obvious option but he's got his own shortcomings and baggage, and I have zero interest in ever reading another Koontz book. I hope Grady Hendrix keeps writing because he kind of manages that niche pretty well. Any other suggestions? Now that I've written this post I realize I thought I was asking 'what's Discworld, but for horror' but really I'm asking 'what's Goosebumps, but for adults'

Riley Sager, maybe? His books are all somewhat same-y despite fairly unique settings. Definitely leans a bit more towards 'thriller' than 'horror' in some of his work, though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

escape artist posted:

What's cutting edge right now?

Anything new coming out that shouldn't be missed?

The Fervor by Alma Katsu just came out last week, positive reviews so far. Haven't started it yet myself but I thoroughly enjoyed The Hunger so I'm looking forward to it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

FPyat posted:

I'm on the hunt for body horror in the mode of The Thing. Strange body plans, twisted appendages, surreal appearances, different creatures being morphed together, the works. Both people being mutated into weird forms and monsters that are just naturally that way are of interest to me.

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Untrustable posted:

So recently I've been getting into what I call "investigative horror". Stuff where the story is told through a standard narrative, but also through the use of police reports, pictures, witness statements, etc.

I've read Devolution Max Brooks, Carrie by Stephen King, and The Troop by Nick Cutter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm really hooked on the stuff now but am not sure how to search for it on Kindle.

Check out The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone read Horrotstor as an ebook? It's really faint on my kobo, to the point where it's difficult to read. Changing the font helped a but but not much, and I checked a couple other books and their all fine so it seems like a publisher choice. I suspect it has something to do with all the pictures but I'm not sure what

I tried reading it on my kindle paperwhite and had the same issue. I ended up reading it on my tablet with the FBReader app, it handled the pictures a lot better.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked?

Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Idle Amalgam posted:

Suggestions for other collections like Wounds? It's something I constantly recommend and love.

I did lose interest in carrier wave but I'll maybe revisit it some day.

The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature by Christopher Slatsky

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

any good longer horror novels that anyone would recommend?

Im about to finish IT, and now im getting anxiety about finding another behemoth of a book. Ive read Black Water already, which was fantastic, and Carrier Wave, which started strong but really fell off at around the half way point

not too picky about the subject, as long as it qualifies as horror of some kind

I thought Into The Drowning Deep by Mira Grant (448 pages) was decent.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If you want bleak and depressing I recommend Gone To See The Riverman

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I believe Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe are sold as a combo now, I'd start with that.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

faantastic posted:

Picked up Horrorstor & Luminous Dead. Hoping to find a couple of really good horror books before the month ends as I've started out with two stinkers.

I really enjoyed The Luminous Dead. Probably the best caving horror I've read, aside from maybe The White Road which is 50/50 caving/mountain climbing horror.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but what are some good spooky books for kids? My niece (about to turn 8) just started reading Goosebumps and is loving them, is there anything else along those lines out there?

I haven't read them myself but my nephew really liked John Bellairs' Lewis Barnevelt series. Recommended age seems to be 8 & up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The house has 'leaves' like a table can have leaves that let it extend beyond what appears to be it's original dimensions