Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

You frowned. The rain had a decidedly oily feel.

Not that someone from up above would really call it rain. Down here, it was more of an occasional mist, dispersed by the kilometers of skyscrapers above you. Someone from above, and with a particularly esoteric education, might have even compared it to rainforest canopies. Here, though, it was rain, and it was life.

Except … when it had that oily feel.

Near you, you heard a sneeze. A quick glance at the shadows, and you could see a flourocat gleaming. “Easy for you to say. You don’t even mind the oil.”
It simply licked its fur, declining to respond. Cats seldom did.
“Probably digest it with the hydrocarbons and heavy metals and everything else you eat.”
It didn’t look at you. You sighed. “I don’t even know why you eat rats. That’s my lunch.”

It seemed to raise its hackles, but it may have just been the light.
“Look, there’s more than enough for both of us. Just give me the first couple. And maybe find me some clean water.”
No response.

You made a face, shifted your leathers uncomfortably. The mist slid off it effortlessly, and you nodded to yourself. Such layers were vital for survival, reducing the chemical exposure, and the only way anyone would dare step into the open. They needed consistent review, too, to make sure no tears were developing. People who didn’t get that habit died young.

Well, younger.

You rubbed your face thoughtfully, considered your reflection in one of the nearby metal facings.

It was …

A) Gaunt, with tattoos and ritualistic scarring

B) Cautious, wary, and weathered

C) Heavily burned and with driven eyes

D) Haggard, suspicious, and sallow

E) Something Else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C.

Seems the fit the goon tradition of walking into explosions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

B. We're not the type to walk into fusion bombs in this LP. :colbert:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dis life, it gets to you.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
B.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

B

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Faces

Blurry, for one. Surfaces down here weren’t exactly waxed within an inch of their life. It gave the impression of you having been through a burning, but aside from that your familiar face frowned back at you. Weathered, aged beyond your years, like so many down here. And with the wary caution that any survivor had.

You pushed the image away, letting rain smear across it, and considered your next move. One day of good water left, couple days of food. You had found this spot years ago, where the rain would run off the higher tiers of buildings and form the mists. On good days, it was clean, and more than enough to fill your reservoirs. Now, though … no. Too risky.

No, best to push on. Your hands checked your gear carefully. Nothing had moved, and you would have known if it had, but … caution. Always caution. Giger counter on one hip, flat bladed knife on the other. It was a handy thing, and you’d used it as both lever and wirecutter in the past.

In your pack, messkit, stove, some chemical fuel. Cloth sleeping bag. Bottle of almost pure alcohol.

And the prize of your collection, found on the body of someone who hadn’t been cautious enough …

A) A datapad with low-grade military cracking software. Can be charged anywhere in the city, which is anywhere.

B) A .38 Special revolver with two reloads (18 total bullets) and reload wheel. You also know the (isolated, unsafe) location of more ammo.

C) A 20 meter rappel hook with two hundred kilogram support. Is almost impossible to unlatch without your intent.

D) A counter-surveillance cloak. If you aren’t moving and they aren’t within ten feet, it would take a witch to spot you.

E) Something else of comparable value, what?

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 13, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
E. A book of magic spells, which you'd begun harnessing the power of. Though the sentence for sorcerers was (probably) death, it did make survival so much easier down here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

E - A utility worker's multitool that had fallen from above a few years ago. It could unbolt the hatches of maintenance tunnels or the panels on machines and fixtures for simple repairs or rewiring. The key to the city in the right hands. In the end, they guy you found it on hadn't been.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C. Because everything else is obvious, and I would like to see what uses we come up with for it.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Blasphemaster posted:

C. Because everything else is obvious, and I would like to see what uses we come up with for it.

I think that in a Loel CYOA, that's just enough rope to hang ourselves with...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mepstein73 posted:

I think that in a Loel CYOA, that's just enough rope to hang ourselves with...

We're always going to end in the nuke :colbert:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

mepstein73 posted:

E. A book of magic spells, which you'd begun harnessing the power of. Though the sentence for sorcerers was (probably) death, it did make survival so much easier down here.

This

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

super sweet best pal posted:

E - A utility worker's multitool that had fallen from above a few years ago. It could unbolt the hatches of maintenance tunnels or the panels on machines and fixtures for simple repairs or rewiring. The key to the city in the right hands. In the end, they guy you found it on hadn't been.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C

Is this traditional voting or approval voting?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Multipass

… a multitool. Not the conventional swiss-army knife such a name might conjure, no, it was specially crafted for the utility workers who used to come this far down. It could unbolt the hatches of maintenance tunnels or the panels on machines and fixtures for simple repairs or rewiring. The key to the city in the right hands. In the end, they guy you found it on hadn't been.

Between that and the MAK knife, you could get through pretty much anything that had a mechanical lock or bar.

The question now, of course, was where to go. You bit your lip thoughtfully. One day’s water, three day’s food … the numbers ran through your head insistently. You had already used one of each getting down to this point, and would need one of each to get back to your home level, up above you.

On the other hand, you could keep exploring on the level you were on. It was pretty well scavenged, being conveniently close to above, but you had found a few niches here and there worth the trying. Or, and you felt the uneasy risk in your bones, you could go further down. Below the base of the spires, in the foundations of the towers … anything could be down there.

What do you do?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Find more water

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crazycryodude posted:

Find more water

Yes, but where? :v: Higher is safer, lower is riskier. Higher has more people, lower has ... other things.

edit: for the curious, I was looking up ~$500 dollar multitools, as that is comparable to crypto ipods or military cloaks. Google gave me this:

quote:

Large blade
Small blade
Corkscrew
Can opener with
-small screwdriver 3 mm
Bottle opener with
-large screwdriver 6 mm
-wire stripper
Reamer
Key ring
Tweezers
Toothpick
Scissors
Multi-purpose hook (also parcel carrier)
Wood saw
Fishscaler with
-hook disgorger
-ruler (cm & inches)
Nail file with
-metal file
-nail cleaner
-metal saw
Fine screwdriver 2 mm
Chisel
Pliers with
-wire cutters
-wire crimping tool
Phillips screwdriver
Magnifying Glass
Ball point pen
-also to set DIP-Switches
Pin
Mini-screwdriver
Sewing eye
Case 1 and
Wrench with
-5mm female Hex drive for D-SUB connectors
-4mm female Hex drive for the bits
-Bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive)
-Bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive)
-Bit Slotted 4 mm
-Bit Phillips 2
-Bit Hex 4 mm
-Bit Torx 8
-Bit Torx 10
-Bit Torx 15
Case 2 and
Wrench with
-5mm female Hex drive for D-SUB connectors
-4mm female Hex drive for the bits
-Bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive)
-Bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive)
-Bit Slotted 4 mm
-Bit Phillips 2
-Bit Hex 4 mm
-Bit Torx 8
-Bit Torx 10
-Bit Torx 15
Large blade
LED light white
Magnifying Glass
Multi-purpose hook with nail file
Reamer
Pruning blade
Electrician's blade with wire scraper
-wire scraper
Pharmaceutical spatula
Combination tool with cap lifter
-can opener
-screwdriver
-wire stripper
Watch opener
Fine screwdriver 2 mm
Digital clock
Altimeter
Barometer
Alarm
Countdown
Timer
Thermometer
Lifetime warranty

edit2: tossing in a couple more cuz I want to:

quote:

420HC Stainless Steel Folding Medical Shears
Strap Cutter
Ring Cutter
Ruler (5 cm)
Oxygen Tank Wrench
Carbide Glass Breaker

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 13, 2018

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Let's get high(er) and see if there's anything in them clouds besides oil.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
descend

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can we rehydrate by shanking someone/thing and drinking their blood?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Stay on our level

People mean trouble, going down takes time we don't have.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stay on the level :whatup:

that multitool- A fella can have a good time in DallasVegas with all that stuff.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Go Up. Check in with a contact of ours to see what's up with the oil in the water.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Higher: cat, mepstein
Same: horrible, nothing
lower: lanky
vampirism: blasphemaster

Still anyone's game.

For vampirism, we have stabbing implements and storage implements, but no processing implements. My google searching says blood drinking can temporarily stave off dehydration, but will have complications if you are also starving, and may expose you to pathogens. Also, hi FBI

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Same.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Same

The mantra you learned from childhood echoed through you. Caution, caution…

Going back to civilization would leave you where you started, only with no water and two days less food then you had started. And going deeper was a leap into the dark, hoping you would find enough water to get back. No, best to stay in this area, you were most familiar with it, and you knew other places.

You nodded to yourself, hefted your pack. The floruocat watched you go disdainfully, enjoying the water you couldn’t drink. It knew the number of creatures who would try to make it share were low, just because it drank what would be poison to anyone else.

Lucky bastard.

Still, there was a ruined set of factory platforms about twenty minutes walk from here. It wasn’t your first choice, or even your fourth, but you had already tried the others. It still committed you to a further distance from your safehold, but no real choice at this point. And the path hadn’t changed much - you had already cleared yourself a way with your multitool months ago, and it wasn’t like maintenance crews were replacing the broken grates.

You were getting close when you heard something.

Immediately stopped, caution caution, waited and listened. The footsteps were definitely humanoid, and if you waited a moment you were sure they would step into view. Caution … and there they were. About twenty meters ahead and below you, exploring the set of pipes that you were headed for. You recognized them, too. Aurelia Peek, fellow scavenger. Thoughtfully, you considered your options.

A) Civilization was up above, and she knew it. Her gear was too useful, and this was too good of a chance to miss. Wait till she headed out along the cleared path and cut her down.

B) Civilization was up above, yes, but you hadn’t left it behind. She was probably here for the same reason, and there was safety in numbers.

C) She had saved you from a particularly nasty feral, months ago, and you owed her one. This would be a chance to show her around, and chip away at your debt.

D) You had saved her from the feral, and she owed you. Time to call it in, in return for …

E) Something else

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
B.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

o hay new loel thread, how you doin'?

C

Also, fluorocatte! I am going to laugh my rear end off if we meet a ginger pirate with a cybered left arm in a dive bar at some point.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

D. Ask her out. You've been wanting to for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B.

• Locked thread