Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here

(almost) baseless speculation

comedy option we get recruited by the cops and several years later after busting our rear end to Senior Proctor we get a building dropped on us. This is actually the Vanessa Corrino thread and we're coming at promcycle from multiple threads. One day we will be angry robot shouty voice lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Lurkbeast
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!


Come on are you just gonna waltz around without a guide?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


B

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

C

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

Reducing the feral and stray population, one round-up at a time.



C

Maybe she knows of a place to get water?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree


A

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



well, it looks like everyone wants us to be friends and owe Aurelia Peek a favor…

making friends

Down here, it was best to have someone to watch your back. You tapped the metal piping next to you lightly, the clank clank clank echoing about the chamber. Aurelia jerked back in surprise, and then relaxed as she saw you. “Oh, it’s you.”

“In the flesh.” You walked closer, taking in the view. Somewhat squirrelly, with exaggerated goggles and breath mask. Currently unattached to her face, it hung gamely off her shoulder, and you knew it was attached to hours of oxygen. You did better in the high metal and radiation zones, but she was one for weird atmospheres and chemical clouds.

You gestured to them. “Any new discoveries?”
She shrugged. “Nothing worth noticing.” A faint smile. “Found any clouds you need to be pulled from?”
You gestured, accepting the reminder. “Not yet. Still owe you for it, to be honest.”
“Yes, you do. Come to pay it back?”
“If you need something opened, sure.” You waggled the multitool.
“Hah. No.”

“Then it seems like I will continue to owe you.”
Another shrug. “I know you are good for it. What are you down here for?”
“Water resupply. Down to one day left.”
“Oof. And those bastards top-side won’t share the condenser?”
“Something about ‘owing them money for last time.’”
“Ah.” Her eyes narrowed, exaggerated behind the goggles. “Bastards.”

You smiled winsomely. “We could team up and rob it.”
“And get perforated immediately afterwards.”
“Well, yes.”
“You don’t make good plans.”
“The plans are great, the consequences aren’t.”
She chuckled. “That means they are bad plans.”
You sniffed airily. “I am just unappreciated in my time.”

“Sure you are.” She tapped her hydration system, water jostling. “Listen, I found a leak not far from here. Interested?”

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot


We definitely are!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.


Heck yeah! And nothing's to say we still can't ask her out.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



Execute Plan Camelback refill.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



operation camelpak

You gestured. “Absolutely.”
Aurelia smiled. “I figured.”
You made to follow, paused. “What were you doing here, if you had all the water you needed?”
“Oh, that. Yeah, some of the pipes looked like they had potential, thought I might use some of their contents for the lab back home.”
“Did you?” Picturing her with a backpack of noxious/explosive chemicals did not appeal.
“Nah. Place was dry as a bone.”
You sighed. “Pity, it was my next choice for water.”
Another shrug. “Got one nearby for you, don’t worry about it.”
“But … walking.”
She raised her eyebrows. “When have you ever cared about walking that far?”
“The monotony gets to me.”
“Ahh … of course. Probably explains why you talk to yourself so much.”
“Do not.”
“Do too.”

The journey to the water site was uneventful, and you found your mind wandering. It really would be a good heist if you could get the condenser topside all to yourself … but the local security was very good. Anyone who could conjure water out of the air had all the power in the world, and thugs would line up to work for someone who could guarantee a hot shower.

Aurelia’s voice interrupted your thoughts. “We’re here.”
You blinked, looked about you. Being lost in thought was a bad habit down here, and you were surprised you had let it happen. That kind of mistake could get you killed … if you were alone. Even so, it probably wasn’t a good idea (or even fair) to make Aurelia do all the work to keep you safe.

The leak, meanwhile, was gushing out water as if it had been designed for it. There was already a lake pooling beneath it, and you looked closer as your skin began to itch. Something was off.

Aurelia turned to look at you. “What do you see?”
“That pool of water … something is wrong there. See how the ripples seem to move around that one area?”
She bit her lip. “Could be debris. Submerged trash, abandoned pipes.”
“Do you remember seeing that when you were here earlier?”
She grimaced. “No. There’s something in that lake.” Turned to look at you. “What do you want to do?”

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.


Chuck a rock at the dude taking a swim in our water.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree


piss in the well

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

mepstein73 posted:

Chuck a rock at the dude taking a swim in our water.

That could go badly

Carefully examine the oddity in the ripples from a distance to make sure it's not a feral creature hiding in the water.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


Is the lake big enough that we can refill our canteens at a significant distance from the ripples?

Are there any obvious escape routes nearby which might prevent a predator from following?

Horrible Lurkbeast
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!


Battle positions, throw stones for as far as possible.
The water must be ours as we don't have another day to search.

E: come to think of it knives are a poor choice for main arms if you want to distance from the enemy, search for pipes or anything else that is long and you could attach a knife to make a spear.

Horrible Lurkbeast fucked around with this message at May 14, 2018 around 08:46

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



Arm depth charges!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Turned to look at you. “What do you want to do?”

Roll Intelligence to see if we recall what creatures might want to submerge in a pool of water.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



I shoot the lake

You grimaced. You weren’t very familiar with things hiding in lakes - any water source topside would quickly be colonized and fortified. Even something small like this, twenty or thirty meters across, was worth money up above.

You briefly considered trying to fortify it yourself, but you simple didn’t have the resources. The two of you could keep it a secret for a while, but someone else would find it as well. Then they would sell the information to one of the factions who could hold it. That was just the nature of things.

Maybe you could do that later. Put in a pin in that thought.

She was still looking at you. “What do you think?”
“I think we might make some money.”
Aurelia blinked, followed your train of thought. “Well, yes. But you still need some water now.”
“Could share yours.”
“You already owe me enough.”
“Hah.” You considered it more. “I’m thinking a lizard.”
“A lizard?”
“Yeah. Something solitary, something that could move from land to water.” You narrowed your eyes. “Ambush predator.”

“That’s all well and good, but what do you want to do about it?”
“Bet you anything it’s waiting for people - or other animals - to approach the shore. Then it rushes you.”
“Ah.” Aurelia looked the ripples. “Yeah, I could see that.” She looked back at you. “So … want to throw rocks at it?”

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



This little piggie took a bath...

gently caress it let's be reckless.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


Prepare an escape route, then try to sneakily refill some canteens from far away from the ripples. Aurelia can watch for ambush and provide covering fire from a safe distance/perch.

We're not equipped for a rumble. We just need to get at least a day or two's worth of water before bolting. If we're sneaky enough maybe we can take more.

malbogio fucked around with this message at May 15, 2018 around 03:24

Horrible Lurkbeast
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!


If it's anything like a crocodile it just needs to get our arm and we are hosed, better to lure it to the open where it loses whatever advantage it gets in the water.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree


Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

piss in the well

sticking with my vote

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006


Sneak closer and get water

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Poke it with a stick.

Some sort of detached metal greeble will do, if there's no sticks at this depth.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

“So … want to throw rocks at it?”

Do we have canteens or similar?

Can we tie our canteens to a rope, throw the canteen into the water, have it fill up, then drag it back to safety?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







Throw rocks at it

I dunno it seemed like a good idea at the time

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


IIRC the Sprawl's combat is relatively nasty and the winner usually ends up bloodied at best. Even a short fight against a modest opponent can easily result in the loss of life or limb, and I have little confidence in our knife being sufficient to end things quickly.

On a related note our inventory doesn't list anything that might be mistaken for a first aid kit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



Muhahah

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



Dip our incredibly unwashed rear end in the water.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



Votes tend toward ‘get water’ with increasing levels of aggression. Let’s see what happens

Let’s be reckless

You ran your hand through your hair. “Well … throwing things could alert it. Or agitate it.”
“So no?”
“But … it would also let us know how territorial it is. Maybe it’s waiting for a big enough prey to get close enough, or maybe it responds to everything.”
“Aha. Rocks it is.” Aurelia seemed entirely too cheerful in annoying the whatever-it-was. She was already grabbing fist sized debris from nearby.

Perhaps it was exposure to all those chemical clouds.

“What do you think, overhand or underhand?”
“I can’t imagine it matters.”
“Overhand it is. Big splashes.” She took careful aim, lobbed a brick forcefully. It punched through the water, causing swells to ripple in every direction. She raised her eyebrows. “Hunh. Nothing.”

“Maybe do them further away, on the other side. If it gets alert, let’s have it go the opposite away.”
She nodded. “Good idea.”
Another launch, this one further from you (and closer to the presumed critter). It immediately responded, if its leisurely approach could be considered a response.

“Definitely something there.”
“We’re on the right track, I think. One more on the far side, and then I’ll go.”
Aurelia hefted another brick, threw it like a shot put. It went almost too-far, landing in the shallows on the other side, and the critter didn’t respond.

“Want me to throw another?”
You shook your head. “I think we’ve persuaded it that it’s a false alarm. Can’t be the first time debris has fallen into a lake.”

You unshouldered your camelpak, considered it. It was sadly almost empty, enough to get home, but not much more. Another long gaze at the lake, and you gently tossed the container into the lake. Dragged it slowly towards you - the critter did not appear to respond.

+1 day of water, you are now at 2 days of 3 possible. What do you do?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







Get more water

I dunno it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006


Get more water, yes, but also have Aurelia throw another rock

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


Tyrannosaurus posted:

Get more water, yes, but also have Aurelia throw another rock

+1

It seems like a dumb beast and easily confused so far.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.


malbogio posted:

+1

It seems like a dumb beast and easily confused so far.

So a Goon?

Get more water.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



Agua-sition.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.



Agua-sition

Aurelia met your eyes. “That’s enough for two days, and enough time for your luck to change. We heading back?”
Caution caution. “No, sometimes you have to risk it. I’d rather risk the maybe of ‘waking it up’ over the maybe of ‘not having water.’”
She glanced back at the escape tunnel. “That’s fine, but if it jumps out I’m leaving your dumb rear end.”
“My hero.”

You looked at the lake contemplatively. Aside from heading to the far side, the critter hadn’t really been aggressive. And it would have to move 15 meters through water before you made it 5 meters into the entry-way. So, unless it had some crazy lunge move it was waiting to use, you should be okay.

You briefly wondered if that was what every lurker thought before they died. Probably.

Another gentle toss of the camelbak, another mild splash. The ripples reached out towards the critter, but there was again, no response. Aurelia met your eyes quizzically, and you shrugged. “Sometimes we get lucky I guess.” Began pulling the pack back towards you, and into your awaiting hands. Easily 90% full, enough for another day. You smiled briefly. “I call that a win.”

She blinked, looked at the critter again. “I’m confused, good things don’t happen to you.”
“Maybe things are starting to change.”

What do you do?

We can go to the upper levels / home, keep exploring, or go deeper now that we have a stash.

You wouldn’t believe these rolls though. Critter don’t care.

Rock 10% Ignore 54
Rock 20% Aggress 14
Rock 30% Ignore 40
Camelpak 60% ignore 62
Camelpak 80% ignore 83

Horrible Lurkbeast
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!


Haha your loss crocky.
Let's get above, our luck may hold out.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006


Which way could we go to sell someone the location of this water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010


Go Up, I guess. We have a location to sell (but don't mention the crocodile) and split with our friend here.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply