Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m not ashamed to admit that I use “strange things are afoot at the Circle-K” on a semi-regular basis to describe anything odd or out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Fart City posted:

I’m not ashamed to admit that I use “strange things are afoot at the Circle-K” on a semi-regular basis to describe anything odd or out of the ordinary.

Same

Another great moment during the medieval scene, when Ted explains that he fell out of his armor and Bill just accepts that explanation it tells you everything you need to know about them. It’s so dumb but somehow perfect.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fart City posted:

Also same. Especially whenever I see a Circle K.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wherein I gush about the flick with nothing of importance to say because I hadn't made an episode in a while and needed to do something easy like saying how much I love a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2QchINDq5o

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they named their kids after each other holy gently caress

Just like will smith? Its not unheard of

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

“Beethoven, make sure you don’t get sucked under.”

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Im glad James Cameron's sci fi show devoted a significant amount of time to how awesome Bill and Ted was.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What kind of school has History project presentations in front of the whole student body and staff? Who did Bill and Ted’s lighting? How late did the entire student body stay after school for B&T’s presentation? None of them had a bus to catch?

I always feel this movie missed a huge opportunity to simply show a few other Bill & Teds helping out with the show behind the scenes. They already established that they can co-exist in the same space/time and that with a loving time machine that goes anywhere and anytime you can solve any loving problem.

Just a few shots of like other Bill & Teds helping run the lighting or the smoke system or such would have been amazing.

That's the major issue I always have with Dr. Who. His loving time box could solve any problem ever WITH TIME ALONE but he's too much of an incompetent rear end in a top hat to realize it.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 5, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jeeves posted:

That's the major issue I always have with Dr. Who. His loving time box could solve any problem ever WITH TIME ALONE but he's too much of an incompetent rear end in a top hat to realize it.

Blinovitch Limitation Effect!!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Davros1 posted:

Blinovitch Limitation Effect!!

Not to mention he kidnaps young girls and shows them the universe and eventually gets bored of them and dumps them for a younger model.

At least when Bill & Ted did the exact same thing they actually committed to the babes.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

jeeves posted:

Time for my rant about the Russell T Davies season of Dr Who!

The loving bullshit Deus Ex Machina ending, in which Rose, having been sent back in time with a TARDIS that she can't operate, loving attacks it with a bulldozer or something which somehow magically solves all the problems because breaking poo poo makes magic happen, and the "Bad Wolf" thing that was foreshadowing throughout the entire season was caused by this, it's explicitly stated that it's just magic-noise distributed through time, utterly meaningless. Great writing, fucktard.

The proper resolution to the situation that ties everything together and isn't poo poo, is Rose, having been sent back in time to save her life, spends the rest of her life forming a secret society dedicated to getting the TARDIS back to the Doctor, in the future, via the normal passage of time, because that's the only available way. "Bad Wolf" is the society's secret handshake kinda thing (she named it that because she kept seeing it everywhere), which in turn neatly explains why Bad Wolf was graffiti'd near the TARDIS in an earlier episode which, in the timeline, is after the time Rose was sent back to (ie. a member of her secret society saw that TARDIS and flagged it for collection, thinking it was the TARDIS they were supposed to be looking after; by the time they came to collect it it had disappeared, and they found their one was still where it was supposed to be).

Now, back in the future, where the Doctor is trapped with a bunch of daleks having just sent the TARDIS away in order to save Rose, he finally figures out that this is what Bad Wolf is about, upon noticing Bad Wolf graffiti'd on a space-station wall. He Kool-Aids through the wall to find the TARDIS with like 6000 years of dust on it, perhaps along with something else to help him resolve the dalek situation since humanity has had thousands of years of forewarning to figure something out. Maybe simply a self-destruct mechanism for the space-station and a written promise that everyone on board knew that this is the time to go to the escape pods; push this button, activate your TARDIS, problem solved, you're welcome, signed bad wolf and Rose.

loving heart of the TARDIS.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I always thought the reason the Doctor can't TARDIS all his problems was that the TARDIS has a mind of it's own and would just send him where it thinks he needs it to be, like, quantum leaping him.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Victorkm posted:

I always thought the reason the Doctor can't TARDIS all his problems was that the TARDIS has a mind of it's own and would just send him where it thinks he needs it to be, like, quantum leaping him.

This got sort of confirmed when it was revealed that the Tardis is the Doc's goth girlfriend.

Edit: To take it back to Bill & Ted. I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to get the Doctor Who joke with B&E's time machine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's lines during Tennant and Smith's eras that say that the Doctors TARDIS is kinda lovely at the best of cases, the Doctor isn't a very good driver, and you're supposed to have like eight people driving the thing.

Vincent posted:

Edit: To take it back to Bill & Ted. I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to get the Doctor Who joke with B&E's time machine.

Iirc the original script had the time machine be a car, but they wanted to avoid ripping off BTTF. So they decided on ripping off Doctor Who, twisting poo poo around so that it's a TARDIS that is exactly as big on the inside as it is on the outside.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 9, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I rewatched the movie due to this thread.

I forgotten how genial and gentle the movie is. It's really a nice family movie at heart. Bill and Ted figuring out that they're essentially invincible due to the power of time-travel was a lot funner than I remember.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I rewatched the movie due to this thread.

I forgotten how genial and gentle the movie is. It's really a nice family movie at heart. Bill and Ted figuring out that they're essentially invincible due to the power of time-travel was a lot funner than I remember.

The thing that I am always amazed by is that in the first movie they do not mention them being stoners at all. They are apparently totally not-- everyone just assumes they are.

They are just losers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would debate them being losers. They're enjoying their lives. Other than Ted's inadvertent needling about Missy...I mean, Mom....they seem very comfortable with themselves and their place in the world.

Ted's relationship with his little brother, even though it has about 30 seconds of screen time, packs a lot of authenticity in there.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They just seem like normal dudes who have ADHD or something that prevents them from performing well in school. It's kind of a neat subtle message about how some students can thrive if given access to alternative learning methods (obviously not time traveling phone booths but you get the idea).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Bill and Ted are pretty chill about sending their historical buds back in time to their certain deaths. Joan of Arc, Lincoln, Socrates and Billy the Kid would all die like immediately after returning.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Death is certain, dude.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

jeeves posted:

The thing that I am always amazed by is that in the first movie they do not mention them being stoners at all. They are apparently totally not-- everyone just assumes they are.

They are just losers.

Bill and Ted were just goofy, good-natured metalhead dorks. My high school was filled with them. They were easily identified by being the only people willingly wearing Static-X shirts in public.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah they're just a couple of skater metalheads. Those guys really did exist in the late 80s (Bill and Ted are obviously caricatures). They didn't care about academics, they cared about metal, girls, and skating.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drunkboxer posted:

Bill and Ted are pretty chill about sending their historical buds back in time to their certain deaths. Joan of Arc, Lincoln, Socrates and Billy the Kid would all die like immediately after returning.

They already knew and accepted their fates. Lincoln freaks out when somebody says the word "shoot" around him. He's seen beyond the veil.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

They already knew and accepted their fates. Lincoln freaks out when somebody says the word "shoot" around him. He's seen beyond the veil.

nah, Bill and Ted just somehow got into the Throne of Heroes and made a Holy Grail War consisting entirely of themselves and random historical people

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Fart City posted:

pretty sure this is my favorite line in the film

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They could be stoners and shot for a certain rating so it had to be codified without explicitly stating it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

They live in a causal universe. Best they can do is fake all of those deaths so they get recorded in history, I guess.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I like to believe that future Bill & Ted just replaced all of their Excellent Adventure travel buddies with Evil Metal Dickweed versions right at the time of all of their respective deaths through time travel trickery, and now everybody is just chilling in the rad future from the beginning of Bogus Journey wearing nerf shoulder pads and eating ice cream or whatever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe Bill & Ted just changed the past so the assassinated historical figures don't get assassinated. But then they end up failing their history report because they get their facts wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe Bill & Ted just changed the past so the assassinated historical figures don't get assassinated. But then they end up failing their history report because they get their facts wrong.

Well no they don't, because they obviously go back and keep trying until people believe it! It's right there in the movie. ;)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

This isn't Back to the Future, Bill and Ted are masters of causality. Hell, the second movie ended with a "who is the best at manipulating causality" battle!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Darko posted:

This isn't Back to the Future, Bill and Ted are masters of causality. Hell, the second movie ended with a "who is the best at manipulating causality" battle!
For a while I thought about making a puzzle game using the Bill and Ted model of time travel (ie. you could plan to come back in time and do a thing, and then interact with the thing you planned to change, but you couldn't disturb anything you already interacted with, and you have to actually successfully come back in time and join your timeline onto the action you "planned" or causality collapses and you get snapped back to the moment you started planning).

But then I realized that while this would be a pretty good gimmick puzzle in a time-travel game, you couldn't build a whole game around this mechanic. And all the other time-travel mechanics have already been done and generally aren't that fun either.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

roomforthetuna posted:

It's weird that they were so fixated on Missy when Joan of Arc was there.

This. I mean I doubt she puts out, but still.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My favorite character in the movie was Beethoven. They finally pronounce his name right in the report. He plays awesome music with the synthesizers that probably produce vibrations he can somehow hear. Him rocking out in the music store and the look he gives the clerk who asks “You’re a musician, right?” Beethoven owns!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

achtungnight posted:

My favorite character in the movie was Beethoven. They finally pronounce his name right in the report. He plays awesome music with the synthesizers that probably produce vibrations he can somehow hear. Him rocking out in the music store and the look he gives the clerk who asks “You’re a musician, right?” Beethoven owns!

I especially love that he's rocking out to Extreme, and that his favorite albums are Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why did Beethoven get arrested for kicking rear end on a keyboard?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Did you see the store owner passove agressively tapping his watch??? Beethoven had it coming

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

AlternateAccount posted:

This. I mean I doubt she puts out, but still.

She seems really impressionable as well as enthusiastic about modern times. I bet she puts out most triumphantly.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Billy should have been filled with lead after discharging his weapon in a crowded mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

Billy should have been filled with lead after discharging his weapon in a crowded mall

I just watched Godmonster of Indian Flats last night and it has a black guy waving a loaded gun around a crowd of white people and nobody bats an eye

• Locked thread