Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Interest post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
edited out. have a different idea.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 15, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Villain Name: tbd

Origin Story:
The Chrissy Pearson case. People love to ask him about it. They can’t seem to help themselves. As soon as they realize who they’re talking to, as soon as they learn that they’re sitting next to the real Sam Sharpe, they’ll start working up the courage to say something to him. Respectfully, of course. Open up with a Thank you for what you did or a You’re a real hero, Mr. Sharpe or a I can’t believe it’s really you this is amazing. And then, even though it was in the news and all over the internet, then they’ll ask him.

What was it like? How did it go down? Can you tell me about it.

Sharpe loves to tell people about it. He always gets a free drink or two when he's done.

Four year old Chrissy Pearson-- the darling, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, front-tooth-missing epitome of upper-middle class innocence-- disappeared from her backyard in broad daylight. No suspects. No clues. And if it hadn’t been for him and his partner, Dino Mazzanati, she might not ever have been found.

Crazy neighbors, it turns out. That’s who took her. A husband and wife who were unable to have children and who became obsessed with little Chrissy. They had plans to sneak out of the country. Raise her as their own. They’d already contacted a coyote and everything. Had liquidated their savings into cash. They were on their way out of town.

But they stopped at the wrong gas station.

Sharpe will always lean in close, lower his voice in a conspiratorial manner, and explain that sometimes you can just tell when a man is evil. That there is just a look. That you can feel it when something is truly wrong. His audience always nods.

Officially, the report reads that Mazzanati had pulled into the station in order to purchase gum. While he was inside, Sharpe recognized the husband as one of the Pearson neighbors and became suspicious of the man’s strange and erratic behaviour. As he approached the vehicle, the husband-- without discernible provocation-- unholstered a 9mm pistol and opened fire. The wife produced a second handgun, a .38 revolver, from the glove compartment and also opened fire. Both were killed in the ensuing shoot-out. Sharpe was shot twice and Mazzanati once. Fortunately, they were both wearing bulletproof vests and were unharmed. Chrissy Pearson was then discovered, tied up but unharmed, in the trunk.

Sharpe has become very good at telling this story. He lays out the scene like an expert. He’ll walk his audience through every terrifying step. He’ll describe everything down to the most minute detail-- from the pungent smell of burnt nitroglycerin to the fevered beating of his heart. He’ll go beat by beat through the gas station parking lot firefight. Then he’ll play the bashful bride. He’ll deflect credit. Humbly insist that he only did what any officer would have done. And, of course, his audience will reply No, no, you are a hero and then offer to buy him a drink.

Almost all of it a lie.

Sharpe and Mazzanati aren’t heroes. They aren’t even good guys. Hell, they’re barely even good cops. And that’s saying something given the wretched state of the precinct. Prior to the Pearson case, they were under investigation by Internal Affairs for embezzlement and corruption. And they were probably going to be fired if not outright charged but... you can’t really do that to the detectives who saved a missing four-year-old via a shootout, now can you?

Of course, there wasn’t even a shootout. Sharpe executed the kidnappers and then they faked a crime scene. The husband wasn’t acting suspiciously. Sharpe only knew Chrissy Pearson was in the trunk because he read the husband’s mind.

It was the first time he ever did that. It won’t be the last.

Super Ability
Telepathy [+2]:
Sharpe can read minds. And when he’s in someone’s head, he can change their memories, too. Sometimes.

The brain is a funny organ. Memory making is an inherently flawed process. People rarely record minor details. Did you lock the front door? Did you leave the water running? Do you still have eggs in the fridge? Where did you place your keys? All small, inconsequential stuff that is easy to mess up. And that makes it easy to alter.

Unfortunately, given the nature of how memories are formed, it’s almost impossible to edit anything major. He can’t make someone think their wife’s name is Kathy when it’s really Theresa because there are too many other things that are connected to a name. Too many memories. Too many correlated, intertwining synapses. But small stuff? Sure. As long as it’s not too deeply questioned or the person is presented with truth, it’ll hold up.

Mundane Qualities
Police Detective [+4]: A career on the force gives you a lot of stuff: experience, training, a partner, a gun. But in a lot of ways, the most important thing it gives you is authority.
Local Celebrity [+2]: His fifteen minutes of fame are up. Sure, earlier this year, he was invited to one of those television daytime talkshows and, yeah, he’s done his fair share of radio interviews across the country. But celebrity culture moves fast. So outside of the city people might not know his face anymore. Inside the city, though, he’s still pretty well-liked.

Drawbacks
Greedy [-2]: It’s kinda funny, you know? Those kidnappers had withdrawn all of their money from all their bank accounts. Yet only, like, half of it was found in the car. The rest just… disappeared... Weird...
Dino Mazzanati [-2]: Sharpe’s partner and best friend. He's the one who knows where all the bodies are buried (sometimes literally). And he's the one that Sharpe truly trusts. The only one. If there is honor amongst thieves, this is where you could find it. And if you need a way to get to Sharpe, this is where you could go.

What do you want out of this game?
As per our talk, I’m looking to make an information broker kinda guy. I also tried to include “synergistic mortal qualities and a motivation related to organization building.” Short term, I could see him “cleaning up the streets” by robbing the gently caress out of criminals and and maybe the not-so-criminal and using that to move up the ranks of the police force. Long term, I’d like to take over the police department and… well… advance in power from there. Probably run for political office if the game goes long enough. Also, hilariously, could potentially be tasked with investigating crimes committed by his fellow villains. That could be very fun. Especially if he develops this public persona of being a hero (which he is 100% not).

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 16, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Valhawk posted:

Origin Story: Ok, as long as you’re ok with the fact that the shootout would have happened hours or maybe a day at most before the start of the game. Since the general idea is that the game picks up right after people develop their powers.

Sounds good.

Valhawk posted:

Mundane Qualities
Police Detective [+4]:
Seems fine.
Local Celebrity [+2]: Fine as long as you’re ok with the fact that this will fade with time.

I think it'll be fun. My plan is to have him keep "solving crimes." Or at least to start getting some flashy press releases that cover up for all the robbery, bribery, and extortion.

Valhawk posted:

Drawbacks
Greedy [-2]:
Pretty classic villain trait.
Dino Mazzanati [-2]: You’re gonna need to be a bit more clear on how this is a drawback.

Dino Mazzanati [-2]: Sharpe’s partner and best friend. He's the one who knows where all the bodies are buried (sometimes literally). And he's the one that Sharpe truly trusts. The only one. If there is honor amongst thieves, this is where you could find it. And if you need a way to get to Sharpe, this is where you could go.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I know the anticipation is killing you. Why don't you go ahead and vote for who you think will get in?

Click here to vote.

EDIT: Voting is over

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
With over 60% of the popular vote, the completely meaningless People's Champion is...

:siren: O L I V I A C U V I E R :siren:

Congratulations to the Unlife Aquatic. You might not have made the final cut but you wrote a character that people thought was dope.

• Locked thread