Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

The Nexus of all Realities

Your eyes suddenly open, much to your surprise. You find yourself on a road made of light, one of many - more than you can count. All roads seem to lead to the center - a sphere covered in a sprawling, labyrinthine structure. Lightning flashes across the...void? You wouldn't call it a sky, so you suppose that world will have to do.

Sir Nicholas the Fury

GasTRON

Spiral

Venom

Darth Doom

Mega Man X

Agent Addison

You are...Weapon X!

You are not alone, however. Your training and instincts take over almost immediately - whether friend or foe, there are others nearby. Another complication. Now, along with learning your location, you will have to discover the intentions of the other new arrivals.

Welcome to the game! Each of you is in the same boat, finding yourself in a very strange place when you were expecting nothing but oblivion. Feel free to meet and greet for a bit, you'll be meeting a guide soon enough! In your first post, please make sure to post your character sheet for reference. For formatting of all your posts, keep track of your PP, XP, and Stress. Everybody starts with 1 PP. Second post will be a bookkeeping post for me where I'll track assets, complications, turn order, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Act II: Cosmic Betrayal
Doom Pool: 2d10

Active Scenes

Scene I: Unknown Spaceship

Player Characters: Hulk Hogan, Agent Addison, Sir Nicholas the Fury, Mega Man X, Darth Doom, Venom, Benjamin Franklin
Other Characters: Captain James Tiberius Hook, Darkman, Magneto, The Doctor, Big Barda, Genie

Scene Distinctions:

Disorienting Teleportation

Conditions:

None

Stress:

Venom
d4 Physical Trauma

Sir Nicholas the Fury
d6 Mental Stress

Mega Man X
d6 Emotional Stress

TURN ORDER

No Active Combats!

Lager fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 14, 2019

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Agent Addison]
PP: 1 XP: 0 Stress: None

An agent of SHIELD lays face-down in the dirt. She isn't moving yet. Is she dead? She wouldn't know if she was either way... not until she takes a long, ragged breath and begins to push herself up. Two arms, two legs, two eyes, solid ground beneath her... It worked. Adam Warlock saved everything. Just for once, everyone lived. She can't help but laugh. She finally pushing herself back up to her feet.

"It worked. It worked! Coulson, get up! It actually... worked..."

You could tell the moment her heart broke. It's as plain as the nose on her face.

quote:

Affiliations: Solo d6, Buddy d8, Team d10

Distinctions:
Survivor Of A Dead World
“I’ve Fought Bigger”
Agent Of (A) SHIELD

Iso-8 Enhanced Gear
Enhanced Durability d8, Enhanced Stamina d8,
Enhanced Strength d8, Weapon d8
SFX: Nano-Nurse: Add Enhanced Stamina to your dice pool when helping others recover physical stress. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another’s physical stress or step back your own or another’s physical trauma.
SFX: Rebuilt Arsenal: Add a d6 to the doom pool to step up a Combat or Covert-related resource
SFX: Versatile Loadout: Replace Weapon die with 2d6 on your next roll
Limit: Gear: Shutdown an Iso-8 Enhanced Gear power to gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom Pool to recover.

Specialties:
Combat d8, Cosmic d8, Covert d8, Medical d8, Psych d8, Tech d8

Milestones:
Unshielded
1XP when you talk about how much better your home dimension was.
3XP when you help clean up a mess this universe’s SHIELD caused.
10XP when you either decide to stay behind in a dimension to help the local heroes get their act together or start an interdimensional spy agency to help all of them.

Avengers, Assembled
1XP when you ask someone for aid based on your history with them in another dimension.
3XP when you give someone assistance in the hopes of getting them to help you.
10XP when you either convince someone truly improbably to aid the forces of good or have your faith in someone utterly betrayed.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Venom

A black ellipse appears, and a black humanoid falls from it, barely avoiding a nasty *splat*. Felicia blinks several times, and looks around, finding an utterly alien landscape.

"Anyone know where New York went?" she calls out, and then she catches sight of another women -- one dressed in some sort of professional action getup, rather than her own companion. Her heart twinges for Peter and Gwen, but she bites it back down. Now is not the time to get lost in all that.

quote:

Affiliations: Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8

Distinctions:
Sorority Queen
Missing My Triplets
My Alien Partner

Venom Symbiote:
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Senses d10
Siren Song d10
Cat's Pounce d6
Wall-Crawling d6
SFX: Hey! Listen! Emotional complications inflicted with Siren Song step up the damage die.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Venom Symbiote powers in your dice pool, at –1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 and keep +1 effect die.
Limit: Fire and Sonic Vulnerability. When making a reaction against fire-based or sonic-based actions, she takes emotional stress equal to the effect die of the attack, regardless of whether she also takes physical stress. If she’s stressed out by emotional stress, she flees immediately.

Specialties:
Acrobatic d8, Combat d8, Menace d8, Psych d10

Milestones:
Avengers, Assembled
1XP when you ask someone for aid based on your history with them in another dimension.
3XP when you give someone assistance in the hopes of getting them to help you.
10XP when you either convince someone truly improbably to aid the forces of good or have your faith in someone utterly betrayed.

John Smith Is Dead
1 XP when you encounter the dimensional counterpart of a loved one.
3 XP when you reveal your relationship to the other version.
10 XP when you either decide that the alternate means just as much to you, or cut off contact.

CaptainCarrot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 13, 2018

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
GasTRON

A large man, 6'8 or so, in strapping Renaissance-style clothing, begins to check his surroundings. First, he checks that his legs can move, and that he has feeling in all of his body. Not only is he not dead, the tungsten muscle fiber replacements are working again, the nervous system is tightly wired, spinal cord disconnect was fixed. He had been repaired. Again. He cheated death by falling into another world. Again. And, with his excellent senses, he began to take stock of the area.

At a mention of York, his ears perk up.

"Well, I won the York archery competition eight years running. But the last one I attended was five years ago, and there was nothing new about the village. Very old village."

The two women here seemed to have people they missed, and he sadly remembered for a second that there hadn't been anyone around who he would really miss for quite some time.

"This isn't the first time I've woken up in another world. Are any of you residents of this place, prepared to properly greet us, or will we have to reconnoiter it for ourselves?"

pre:
GasTRON 

Affiliations:
Solo d8 
Buddy d6 
Team d10 

Distinctions: 
Overwhelming Charisma
Arrogance Beyond Measure
Mutant Stole My Girl 

Power Set 1: PERFECT, A PURE PARAGON 
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Strength d10 
Enhanced Stamina d8 
Leaping D6 

SFX: I WILL HAVE THEIR HEAD ON MY MANTLE: 
Add a d6 to the doom pool to step up or double a Paragon power.

SFX: NO ONE'S NECK'S AS INCREDIBLY THICK AS GASTON's. 
On a reaction against a Physical attack action, 
inflict physical stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.

SFX: I ADMIT THAT I'M RATHER INTIMIDATING 
When using Paragon powers to inflict emotional stress,
add a d6 and step up your effect die.

Limit: WHEN I WAS A LAD I ATE FIVE DOZEN EGGS. Shutdown any Paragon power to gain 1 PP. 
Activate an opportunity to recover or during a Transition Scene.

Power Set 2: PARADISE LOST: AFTER THE FALL  
Big Guns d10 
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Enhanced Speed d8
Hacking d8  

All The Power You've Been Given. 
Step up or double any Paradise power for one action, or spend a PP to do both. 
After the action resolves, add a die equal to your effect die to the Doom pool.

Explosives. 
Against multiple targets, for every additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die. 
For each complication you create using your effect dice, step up that effect die and add d6 to the doom pool.

Welcome Back, Gaston. Step up your physical stress die and move it to the doom pool. 
Spend 1 PP to do the same to physical trauma.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Specialties: 
Musical Master d10 
Combat Master d10 
Menace Expert d8 
Tech Expert d8 
Vehicles Expert d8 

Most Popular Man In The Village: 

1 XP when you spend a Transition Scene eating, drinking, or carousing excessively. 

3 XP when an ordinary bystander is overawed by your powers. 

10 XP when you become the paragon of a new community, or something causes you to stop seeking public acclaim. 

The Beast Is Still Out There: 

1 XP when you face off directly with the largest or most physically deformed enemy on the field. 

3 XP when your refusal to back down when obviously outclassed or overpowered either causes you to take stress or
allows one of your allies to gain XP from one of their Milestones.

10 XP When you either capture or kill a superpowered fugitive or choose to let them escape. 

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral (Earth-1610)

The truncheon swings in towards her head. Or was it a flashlight? It connects with a solid thump, her head blossoming in pain. Even with her abilities, it was possible to get overwhelmed.

She opens her eyes and the ground glows up at her.

Why does the ground glow?

Why is she alive?

A quick flip brings her to her feet. She's sore, and bruised, and not at all looking her best, but she's alive.

"YOU!" she points to Felicia and Addison, striding towards them.

Spiral posted:

Solo D10, Buddy d6, Team d8,

Distinctions
•Six-Armed Dervish
•Ruthless Fighter
•Mutant Partisan

Powers

Multi-Limbed Murder Mistress
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Psychic Resistance d12
Multiple Arms d8
Speed d6
Superhuman Reflexes d10

•SFX: Area Attack. Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
•SFX: Psychic Counterattack. On a reaction against a power that inflicts mental or emotional stress, inflict mental stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.
•SFX: Reactive Possession. On a successful reaction against a psychic attack, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Mutant stunt.
•SFX: Whirling Blades. On an attack action including Multiple Arms, add a d6 to your dice pool and step back the highest die in pool by –1. Step up physical stress inflicted by +1.
•Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any Mutant power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
•Limit: Mutant - Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Specialties
•Acrobatic Master d10
•Combat Expert d10
•Medical Expert d8
•Menace Expert d8
•Science Expert d8
•Tech Expert d8

Milestones

TBD
1xp - When you voluntarily assist a human in distress.
3xp - When you form a bond with a human despite your differences.
10xp - When you save your new flatscan friend from fellow mutants, or when you turn your back on them and declare they're not worth it.

Mutant Survival
1xp - When you discuss the possibility of mutantkind going extinct
3xp - When you start a fight in order to benefit mutantkind.
10xp - When you either take a step towards the destruction of humanity in order to save mutantkind, or accept that mutant survival is linked to human survival.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 5, 2018

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison]

"Gone, probably. Just like everything else." The black-clad stranger sounds awfully familiar. Black Cat, maybe... And then there's the man dressed up like a Medieval Times waiter... Oh for crying out loud.

"Can't even mourn for five seconds before getting more work.." She grumbles as she stands up and holds out an ID card at arm's length, her expression already hardening.

"Alright everyone. We are in a Class S post-Incursion scenario. As the de-facto acting SHIELD director I am drafting all nearby non-hostiles into the reconnaissance team. As he stated, will any dimensional natives please identify yourselves so we can properly-" She whirls around to face the newcomer. "You! The Spiral! Please put the swords down. No magic either. I will use force if necessary. Just..." She finally begins to waver, her expression softening again. "Please don't make it necessary."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
GasTRON

Sensing trouble brewing and a chance to be the center of attention, GasTRON steps in between the two women. First, he addresses The Spiral. "Good taste, but I've always been more of a gun person. Even still, do you really need to dirty one on her?"

He rolls his eyes, then looks over at the Agent. "You remind me of her, if she had been even more uptight and weren't at all pretty. No one is going to listen to you if you keep spouting off a bunch of nonsense you probably got from damned books."

A compartment in his massive, rippling left thigh begins to open and a futuristic polymer assault rifle slides out, well-maintained and equipped with a silencer, laser sight, and a few spare magazines. He deftly wields the weapon with one hand, brandishing it about. "I will educate you in the art of using small words." Gaston uses his free hand to point to the assault rifle. "This. Is. A. Gun." "It. Kills. People." He mimes shooting himself in the head, rather emphatically and vividly. "But, I am not going to point it at anyone or threaten to 'use force' because I don't know where I am or who any of you are, so if this becomes a duel to the death, the winner will be lost and alone in the rectum of some stupid universe they have never seen before."

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2018

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X

When the light fades, X is still screaming. He's firing the Mega Buster and it rips through one of the glowing roads and shoots off into the blackness. Thanos is... gone? So too is New Metro City and the ruins of Avengers Tower. The smoke from his gun dissipates as he turns to see the large man accosting three women. He's... going to shoot himself?! What?

X runs over, lost and bewildered.

"Hey big guy, might wanna put that peashooter away?"

quote:

Affiliations
Solo: d8
Buddy: d10
Team: d6

Distinctions
The Last Avenger
Built from Lost Technology
Man or Machine

Power Set: The X-Buster
Energy Blast d8
Cobalt Crush d12
Raven Wing d8

SFX: Weapon Emulator. If you are present in a scene where a villain is physically stressed out, spend 1 PP to choose one of their powers and add it to THE X-BUSTER. The power is removed from THE X-BUSTER at the end of the act.
SFX: Charged Weapon. Step up or double any THE X-BUSTER power on your next roll, or spend 1 PP to do both, then shut down that power. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Weapon Energy Depletion. Shutdown highest-rated THE X-BUSTER power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Power Set: Combat Robot
Superhuman Stamina d10
Superhuman Speed d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Reflexes d6

SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from aging, dehydration, disease, poison, starvation, or vacuum.

Limit: Heavy Metal. On a magnetic attack, or while swimming, change any COMBAT ROBOT power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.
Limit: Moody. Earn 1 PP and step up emotional stress caused by doubt, guilt, or self-worth by +1.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Expert
Vehicle Expert
Tech Master

Milestones
Fight, Mega Man...
1 XP when you declare a villain as a former ally.
3 XP when you take emotional stress from your former ally.
10 XP when you either step up a former ally's physical trauma beyond d12, or let them escape to fight again.

...for Everlasting Peace
1 XP when you activate your Moody Limit.
3 XP when you try to convince a villain not to harm the innocent before resorting to a fight.
10 XP when you either refuse to fight at an important moment, or sacrifice yourself to save others.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 7, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darth Doom
PP: 1
pre:
Physical Stress: None       Physical Trauma: None
Mental Stress: None          Mental Trauma: None
Emotional Stress  None     Emotional Trauma: None
Darth Doom clutched as his wound as the world faded from sight. The Power Cosmic embrace clutched at him. He would become one with it, as do in death. But, at the last minute, he felt disconnected. His connection severed. And, soon, he found himself restored. His wound gone. The floor and surroundings different. He was no longer in front of Darth Thanos' throne. Franklin and Valeria no longer bickered in his ear.

Instead, there was new bickering.

Looking up, he could see an odd crew arguing, threatening each other, and generally making a ruckus. Fools, all of them fools. He knew that Darth Thanos' teacher, Darth Annhilius, had once spoke of using the Power Cosmic to traverse time and space, even if Darth Annhilius had never discovered the secret in his lifetime. Nor had any other. But Darth Doom was no normal Hydra. He was Darth Doom, Dark Lord of Hydra, Master of the Power Cosmic, Fallen Marvel, Born Rule of the Galaxy!

"Fools," Darth Doom muttered as he began to lift his body from his prone state. As he began to fly above them, he blasted lightning from his hands towards the sky as he bellowed again "Fools!"

Waiting only a moment, he continued in a boisterous manner. "I know not what trickery is this! Or what foolishness is now before me! I know only what I am: Darth Doom, Dark Lord of Hydra! Be it by my own immense power that I find myself here or through the machinations of your folly, I am where I am and I ask only this: who are you and where is this place!? Speak now or incur the wrath of Darth Doom!"

There was a weakness in his boisterous voice that was too hidden to hear. Only Darth Doom could hear it because the weakness was in his heart. As he spoke with fury, he could feel the wound burn. The mark of his ultimate failure over the Marvels, his failure over Thanos, his failure of the bloodline of Richards, his failure in life. It burned, but not of pain. But of shame. He felt undeserving of this bravado. But only slightly. It was like a black spot in a colorful painting. Hidden, but leading the onlooker closest to observe their own mistake. An inescapable fear, like Death. It clung, but Darth Doom sunk it. He was used to burying his feelings and fueling himself on pain, as is the way of Hydra, but he knew something in this pain was different.

Darth Doom posted:

Affiliations
Solo: D10
Buddy: D8
Team D6

Distinctions
Broken Narcissist
Former Lord Of A Space Fairing Empire
Master of the Power Cosmic

Power Set: Iron Knight
Lightsaber D10
Repulsar Blaster D10
Superhuman Durability D10
SFX: Makashi. Step up or double a Iron Knight die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add 3 dice for your total.
SFX: Soresu. On a reaction against a Physcal attack action, inflict physical stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.
SFX: Ataru. Use two or more Iron Knight powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Juyo. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by –1. Step up Physical Stress inflicted by +1.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Iron Knight and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

Power Set: Master Of The Power Cosmic
Cosmic Flight D8
Cosmic Push D8
Cosmic Senses D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Mind Control D6
Psychic Resistance D10
Telepathy D6
SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Emotional Outburst. Step up or double any Master Of The Power Cosmic power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.
SFX: Focus. If a pool includes a Master Of The Power Cosmic power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.
SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a Master Of The Power Cosmic power, you may move your Mental Stress die to the doom pool and step up the Master Of The Power Cosmic power by +1 for this action.
Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any Master of the Power Cosmic power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Will Of The Power Cosmic. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using a Master of the Power Cosmic power.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Cosmic Expert D8
Menace Expert D8
Mystic Expert D8
Science Master D10
Tech Master D10

Milestones

Cause Of His Own Problems
1XP when you speak of how you ruined your life and your universe.
3XP when you first take emotional stress in a scene.
10XP when you resolve to let go of the past and move on with your life or you give in to your despair and become consumed and worthless.

Shattered Ego
1XP when you speak of how you were once great and powerful.
3XP when you lose control and lash out in insecure rage at someone.
10XP when you either come to terms with your fallen status and seek redemption and humility or you do something horrid and irreversible to prove your worth to yourself and others.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 13, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral

Spiral spins one of her swords, a quick motion of intimidation, or attempted intimidation at least. "I answer to no 'SHIELD'," she declares, glaring at Allison. "Or any Human." With one sword still pointed at the agent, the other swings over to point towards GasTRON, as her head pivots as well. "You're something different...." she says, flicks of her eyes sizing him up. "I don't know your kind."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison]

And we have immediate insubordination. Great. And he was the only one here with previous dimensional travel experience too... Oh, good, and we have a Doom.

"Listen, Doc-Darth. We're in a post-reality destruction scenario. We don't have time for- Oh for crying out loud He's just a cyborg, that isn't that odd, we can just talk this out... Why am I bothering. Anyone who wants to talk, come with me and talk. Anyone who wants to fight, stay here and fight. We don't have time for this."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X

"I'm into takin talking," X says. He follows Addison and extends his right arm. It's still hot from the blast he had fired earlier but suddenly a white metal hand pops out, reaching for a shake.

"I'm Mega Man X. Avenger." A small holographic Avengers ID card appears, floating above his forearm. "Post-reality destruction scenario? Does this have something to do with the Infinity Stones?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison

"Agent Addison, SHIELD." She gingerly shakes X's hand. "Thanos... I wish it was Thanos. You can fight Thanos. You can't fight another universe crashing into yours."

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 14, 2018

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
GasTRON

Gaston smiles, storing his assault rifle back inside his leg. "Yes, exactly. Thank you, Ms. Addison, for jettisoning your original suggestion of trying to arrest the sword lady and agreeing with my plan. Now that we have agreed upon my plan, the next step," Gaston gestures broadly down the road, towards the sphere in the center "Is to make haste down this road of light, which presents us with a literally blindingly obvious path towards some sort of settlement."

He clasps his hands together, looking down on the agent and the android with an avuncular smile. "I don't know anything about Infinity Stones. Sounds like a contraption he would have locked up in his castle. But I believe as long as you have at least one stone, you will be brave enough to follow the next step in my plan: Proceed to the great round village and make ourselves known."

With that, Gaston beings strolling down the road of light with long strides, swinging his arms back and forth. Content to assume everyone else will realize they have no idea what is going on and have no choice but to follow him, he begins whistling a merry tune.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Venom

For a moment, Felicia just stares at the whole strange assembly, but Addison seems to know what she's doing, which is more than she can say for herself.

"Avenger, huh? Pretty sure we never saw you on the roster," she comments to the large robot. "Compared to everything else, that's probably the most ordinary thing going on here, though."

Venom frowns, and tugs at a lock of her hair; she'd always been a little too enamored of it to reduce the risk it posed to her identity. "Infinity stones, eh? I think I heard something about those when I was giving SHIELD a hand. Pretty bad news in the wrong hands, right?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sir Nicholas, The Fury
PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: None

Well, poo poo.

I open my eye, an action that manages to be simultaneously a surprise and a disappointment, and take stock. First, and most pressingly, I am alive and well. Second, I am somewhere... different. It's not Earth, but it's also not the world I was very ready to accept as my gravesite up until I had a throat clear of my own blood.

So, more magic. Krom save me. Or... us?

Yeah, from the amount of noise, it's definitely an us. And they clearly don't know any more about what's going on than me.

I press my palm to my eye and groan, because I'm not sure what else there is left to me to do while I wait for whoever cared enough to save poor old me from my truly timely demise.

quote:

Sir Nicholas The Fury

Affiliations
Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions
Former Leader of The Shield
"That's what I do. I survive."
Rose Through The Ranks

Just Can't Seem To Die
Enhanced Reflexes - d8
Enhanced Stamina - d8
SFX: And I Ain't Finished Here Yet. Before making an action, you may add your Physical Stress die to the roll, then increase it and shift it to the doom pool.
Limit: But The Years Still Take Their Toll. Shutdown any power and gain 1PP. Recover during a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

The Shield's Armory
Weapons - d8
Chainmail Uniform - d6
SFX: Focus. If a pool includes a Shield Armory power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.
SFX: Repeating Crossbow. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target when using Weapons.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a power to gain 1PP. Take action vs. Doom Pool to regain.

Specialties
Combat Master - d10
Covert Master - d10
Menace Master - d10
Psych Expert - d8

Milestones:

The Strucker Multiversal Beatdown Grand Tour
"...I always hated that bald prick the most."
Gain 1 XP when you first encounter a new version of Baron Strucker.
Gain 3 XP when you beat the poo poo out of, murder, or otherwise soundly and publicly defeat an incarnation of Strucker.
Gain 10 XP when you finally make peace with at least one Strucker, or when you commit yourself to your new life purpose of kicking the rear end of every single Strucker in the multiverse.

Biggest Man In The Room
"I've never been good at taking orders. Just giving 'em."
Gain 1 XP when you first try to pull rank in a scene.
Gain 3 XP when you confront someone over their trying to tell you what to do.
Gain 10 XP when you finally regain actual leadership of an organization, or submit to being a subordinate of something you aren't in charge of.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 15, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

"The Infinity Stones are 'bad news' in anyone's hands, child. But they pale in comparison to what you now face." A voice suddenly rings out from the void around them, seemingly coming from all directions at once. Out of nowhere, strange pipes begin appearing out of the path ahead of them, weaving around each other into something very much like a spider's web, encircling a chair where an elderly woman in an impossibly long dress...or is it a blanket?...sits, her hands steepled as she looks at the group thoughtfully.

"I know you must have many questions, and I assure you - answers you shall find. All in good time. You may not like the ones you receive, I warn you." The woman places her hands on a table in front of her. Brushing one hand against the surface, tarot cards appear in its wake. "Your past is ancient history now, and your future is all that matters. The multiverse is in dire need of men and women such as yourselves. Those who will do what must be done. Who will save the worlds at any cost." Seven of the cards lift off the table and begin to dance in the air. The Tower, The Hanged Man, The Chariot, The Hermit, The Fool, The Emperor, and Justice.

"I see many paths before you, and many worlds that you might yet save. Perhaps even your own." She reaches her hands out to the team, the cards pushing out past their faces into the empty void. "You have each been plucked out of your worlds at the moment of your death in order to serve a greater purpose. Some of your universes have already perished, but you may yet save others. Perhaps you may even find a way to regain what was lost." Her eyes are hidden behind opaque glasses, but the assembled heroes get the distinct impression she is staring directly at Agent Addison. "You are to be Weapon X, and a powerful weapon you shall be. You will restore order where chaos reigns, and repair the damage that has been wrought by unseen forces."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sir Nicholas, The Fury

"Oh, great," The Fury grunts, as he stands himself up. "Always loved fortunetellers."

He spits to the side and crosses his arms. "What exactly are we here for, crone?" The direct method never fails to get some sort of answer.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
GasTRON

Gaston stops his leisurely stroll down the road of light to look up at the woman. He holds up a hand and signals to the rest of the group to hold their position. "Now, I expect some of you have never been to a proper village before, judging by your clothes and your manners." He gestures towards the strange old woman. "Every village as a local fortune teller or witch-woman, peddling nonsense prognostications and ugly little trickets. Elaborate ruses to part naive ladies and gentlemen with their coin." He points his finger back emphatically at his new traveling companions. "Be on your guard. Fortune-tellers and pickpockets often work together."

"Who are you to tell me what must -?" He stops at the mention of regaining what was lost, containing a shiver.

"What could you possibly know of what I have lost?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The old woman smiles at the corner of her mouth. "Sir Nicholas, you have not introduced yourself yet. I'm sure the rest of your fellows would love to hear your old war tales." She waves him off dismissively. "I am here to provide guidance and counsel in this time of need. Take it if you wish, heed it if you will, ignore it at your peril." At GasTRON's outburst, the woman turns to face him. "You once were Gaston, the hero of your little village. Even the world you came from was more vast than you could ever have known. Yes, you may yet regain what was lost to you, your old life. Perhaps you may find something greater."

The world around the heroes seems to spin, the path of light twisting and turning. The fortuneteller, somehow, stays oriented perfectly. "Your lives are to be turned upside down. Worlds are ending before their time, and you must stop their destruction." As the companions collect themselves and rise again, they find one of the cards lying on the path next to them.

Sir Nicholas finds the Chariot. GasTRON, the Tower. Agent Addison, the Hanged Man. Mega Man X, the Hermit. Venom, the Fool. Darth Doom, the Emperor. And Spiral, finally, discovers Justice.

"Your journey will not be easy. You will have to make...difficult choices. Each of you has come here because you show capacity for just such decisions."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison

Addison has spent enough time defending the Sanctum Santorum to know magic when she sees it. She doesn't like the way she's looking at her, but still. This is clearly a particularly cryptic magic-user. One who named her program after Wolverine.

"You know, I used to know a guy who gave me orders for the greater good. Always said he'd explain them when he could. He died before telling me anything. So, I'd suggest you start being a bit more clear if you want any cooperation." She picks up the tarot card. "Even if your magic tricks look awfully fancy."

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 15, 2018

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X

Before he can even begin to think about what "universes crashing" could mean, X finds himself tossed by this new arrival. He looks at the card. Wanda had shown him these once before. The Hermit. Did it mean he was meant to be alone? Again? But the Hermit was also a source of truth and knowledge. What did it mean?

X's eyes flash with information. He turns to the old woman.

"Cassandra Webb. Before the worlds merged you were killed by the children of Kraven the Hunter. Precognitive abilities. Physically infirm. What is this place, ma'am? How are we here - wherever here is? What do you mean... difficult decisions?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The fortuneteller gives a nod to Mega Man X. "Indeed. I once was Madame Web, and you may call me such now. But my fate was different than the one you knew. What you see all around you, stretching into infinity, is the Nexus of All Realities. This is the center of the multiverse - at least one such place, and also all of them as well at once. Each of you hails from a different reality. Some of you are strangers to one another, some were close comrades in another life, and some of you may be familiar in the most unexpected ways." The web-like tubes seem to be expanding once more, lifting the massive, ungainly chair above them as Madame Web seems to grow.

"Whatever has disturbed the balance of reality, it is beyond my ability to discern. All I can tell you about the nature of this threat is what I have - worlds are burning out before their time. There is no other consistent factor, other than the suddenness of their demise. Some of your homes have suffered this fate already, and others may yet. I am here to prepare you for the task of repairing this damage and eliminating the threat at the center of this chaos storm." She again turn to Agent Addison, a bemused smile on her face. "I trust, Agent of SHIELD, that this explanation will meet with your approval?"

Lager fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 16, 2018

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Venom

She looks at the card, and is not terribly pleased; the Fool hardly seems complimentary. But she vaguely recalls that everything in tarot has lots of meanings, so she puts it aside, for now.

"Madame Web, we remember you. We were with the Daredevil when he searched for you, hoping for a way to bring down Kingpin."

Collapsing realities? New York had not been in such a state when Felicia left -- at least, not that she was aware of, but those wormholes may well have wreaked havok since then. Again, dwelling on it would do no good; the task ahead was twofold. Take the measure of her colleagues, in the process of completing whatever mission the sage was doubtless about to give them.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral

Others arrive, and the battlefield shifts quickly. No, no, she wont' fight today. Avenger? Interesting. Spiral sheaths her swords on her back and drops into a walk, towards the rear of the group, listening, observing. Not a chatty one, it seems.

She drops into a fighting stance on hearing the new voice, but it's just an old woman...in a very strange chair. Her upper-right hand takes the card, flipping it over and she lets out a single laugh. "I have never known Justice, old woman," she says, flicking the card with precision out into the void. "You are full of lies, like all humans."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison

So, this is about universal death. It always goes back to that, doesn't it. Even after everything's gone, it always goes back to that...

"One more question, Ms Webb." She slowly exhales, forcing herself to stay calm. "Was it our time?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Madame Web looks to Felicia. "You worry for your world, child? You may view events in your universe through the card, all of you. Keep them close, they are my gift to you should you choose it." She waves dismissively at Spiral. "As for you, impetuous girl, you may not have been given justice. But you have dealt it. Or do you forget your dealings with Longshot so soon? Your ability and judgement will be needed for the tasks ahead."

Madame Web pauses in berating Spiral long enough to hear Agent Addison's question. She hangs her head low, steepling her fingers in thought once more as she considers the question. "Your universe faced many threats, young agent. You dealt with them with courage and conviction. It was not coincidence that your world seemed constantly on the verge of destruction. Whatever force is causing these premature deaths, yours was one of the first to suffer this fate. I believe that it was a testing ground of sorts. Your world should have survived long past the time when your bones would be nothing but dust. I am...sorry that it could not be saved."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darth Doom
XP: 0 --> 1
pre:
Despite Darth Doom's display, he finds himself ignored. The lightning clashes, the voice booms, he flies in the air like a vengeful angel. And, yet, there is no recognition. Only a half-hearted reply by the women with the eagle ensignia. Doom recognized it, of course. The seal of the Marvels. His friends...his enemies!...were long dead. Only Strange remained. He went to balk at their insolence.

But, his words stopped in his mouth as a weight brought him back to the ground. This woman, this fortune teller, appeared from thin air. He didn't sense her presence and her abilities were definitely similar to the Power Cosmic. A far-serer, a telepath, and...invisible to his sense. Something was off. Her words were even less comforting. Darth Doom never bothered worrying about protecting things, let alone the universe. He goals were always contained to the Galaxy. Or, at least, what was the known galaxy. He simply wished to be Emperor and rule: power for power's sake.

Now he hears it's gone. Not just the galaxy, but the universe. It's all gone. With that, it comes back to him for a moment. On the floor, lying with his wound in his hands. Looking up at two children bicker over what to do with the universe. A failure. Darth Doom. A failure. Dying. To be forgotten. Remembered at most as a thug for Darth Thanos or a stepping stone for these children's new world.

He could feel something gnaw at him. But, he pushed it down. Refocused on the women before him.

A card flew into his hands. The Emperor. He had heard of such charlatan tricks. Fools attempts to see the future without the Power Cosmic. Doom knew not her game, but he knew she knew how to flatter. The Emperor. It was upside down. Domination. Excessive control. Rigidity. Inflexibility. Doom knew these were charlatan tricks, but his mother was a slave who traded in such things for coin. He knew what it meant. The Emperor. What he aspired to be, but it's reversed. What was she trying to say?

It matters not, Doom realized. What matters the words of a charlatan? She does not know me. She does not know my world. She does know where we are. And she wants a weapon.

Crossing his arms, Doom thought simply: so be it.

"Madame Web, you speak of many things. You know of our reasons for being here. You say my world is dead." Darth Doom pauses. "Then you know this: I am Darth Doom. As a Dark Lord of Hydra, I do not waste my time with such triflings manners as empathy. My anger, my fear, my grief: those fuel my connection to the Power Cosmic. They fuel me! I seek the Throne that is rightfully mine with the passing of Darth Thanos! I seek Valeria and Franklin taken to task for stealing my moment of triumph. Then, thus, I seek my universe returned!"

Doom floats forward, ahead of the group towards Madame Web. Stopping only a couple feet in front of her.

"As leader of this 'Weapon X', I shall do what is needed. I shall follow your advice, for now. I shall have my Throne." With a flurry of lightning and a deep bellow, he continues, "To me, my Weapon X!"

Taking an XP for talking about how great and powerful I once was

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 23, 2018

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison

"Just a test, huh... Well, I've been holding universes together for four years now. It'd be awfully immoral of me to stop doing it now. I'm in." Addison steps forward and-is interrupted by Doom being Doom. She hoped he would take the hint after no one paid any attention to him last time, but always trust a Doom to try to take control whenever he sees a chance. And... he's talking about working for both Hydra and Thanos. She missed that last time. Doesn't sound like a Syndicate situation either. Looks like it's time for her to do something.

And so Agent Addison is the first person to step forward for Darth Doom's call for underlings. Agent Addison is also the first person to step past Doom to talk to Madame Webb directly.

"So, Miss Webb, one more question. Are Hydra Nazis in his universe? I can work with a Doom. I'm not working with a Nazi." She casually rests a hand on her hip, just close enough to her pistol to react if Doom gets aggressively offended.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darth Doom
XP: 1 -- > 2
pre:
At this display, all Doom can think is "hmph." Doom doesn't stand insolence, but Doom recognizes that they are not in the Empire. His reputation does not proceed him. Or does it? "Work with a Doom," she said. Other Dooms? There are more of him in other realities. The concept of a multiverse has skirted his mind before, but he has had no desire to explore it nor any proof of its existence. The full implications are new to him. Other Darth Dooms would be competition. They can only be two in Hydra: a master and a apprentice. No more, no less.

Doom does not stand insolence, but Doom knows that violence and fear is not the only way to get favors. Darth Thanos taught him that when he acted as High Chancellor Dione. Manipulations, subtly, deception: those are the way of Hydra.

Besides, Doom would not let a frail invalid* speak on his behalf. "I do not know who you believe yourself to be, but I am not whatever you call a 'Nazi.'" Doom voice betrayed confused, "The knowledge of Hydra was kept intentionally suppressed from the public. The Power Cosmic left a myth of the Marvels and Avengers of old to keep the population controlled and Heralds, people sensitive to the Power Cosmic, from forming groups in the Empire." Doom's wound flared again at the memories of rebels and of the heralds who rebelled and killed him. It caused him to pause. "We are a religious order that split from the Marvels during their early reign. When they still trained in the birthplace of our traditions: the planet York of the Solar System Nu in the Inner Core sector. We use our emotions to channel the Power Cosmic and we value power and domination above all else."

With a crescendo, Doom finished "I aided in the fulfillment of the Hydra grand plan: the destruction of the Marvels, the end of the Avengers, and the rise of the rightful rule of Hydra and formation of the first Galactic Empire!"

Pausing to let the words hang in the air, he stretched out one of his crossed hands in a diplomatic gesture. "I have been open with you. From there, I imagine a seedling of trust can plant. Trust is paramount if my team is going to function. Wise leadership and fair treatment are promises I can make and keep: one need look only at the beauty of my Empire to see that."

My empire? Hmph. It burned again. It will be. It will be.

*I know that's abeliest, but I feel like its something Doom would use to describe things. If people don't like it, I can remove it.

Taking an XP for talking about Great and Powerful I once was

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Venom

Her companion seethes, itching to smack Doom for his arrogance, but Felicia restrains them. A different approach is called for, here.

"In the immortal words of Alfred, Lord Tennyson - 'in your dreams, buddy'. We will not follow you. We do not wish to lead ourselves, but we will not take your orders. Agent Addison and Avenger Mega Man seem capable of the job -- we will listen to them."

Belatedly, she looks at the others.

"No disrespect for your leadership abilities, if you have them. Except yours, Spiral, you're being kind of a bitch."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Madame Web waits for Darth Doom to finish with his explanation of the intricacies of his world's Hydra before speaking to Agent Addison, "The Hydra he speaks of is very dissimilar from the one you knew of, though this Doom is not so different from the one you knew - for better and for worse. Prideful and powerful, authoritarian and ambitious, disciplined and domineering. He worked with a cruel and despotic Empire, just as your Doom was the undisputed dictator of Latveria. He has killed his allies and enemies alike, just as other Dooms once sacrificed the love of their lives to demonic entities and wore her skin as armor. I cannot truly assuage your concerns, as working with a man like Doom will always require a certain...moral flexibility, and the Empire this one came from was responsible for death and destruction across an entire galaxy. But Doom is necessary for the tasks before all of you. You have worked with a Doom very much like this one before. Can you do it again?"

She then pulls a bracelet with a glittering pink gem set in the center. "You will have to determine a leader, Weapon X. This is the Tallus, which contains a fragment of the M'Kraan Crystal and acts as the gateway to the multiverse. Only one of you may wear this artifact. It will speak to you, providing guidance and feeding information about the worlds you visit and the missions you must complete before moving on. A word of warning, however - travel through the multiverse is a difficult task to undergo. None of you have the power of teleportation, which would make it somewhat easier to deal with the stress. So you will have to determine who you can all trust with the information the Tallus provides."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X

"We need to work with Doom. That can fall within mission parameters. I get it." X tries his best to be stoic and stern in the face of everything that is suddenly being thrust upon him, but the man in the cloak is... trying his patience. X had encountered a Victor Von Doom - they had met during the Abyss War - and while that Doom had been an arrogant opportunist, this one just seems, well, abrasive. Of course, there's the one thing that had really irked him.

"I aided in... the end of the Avengers..."

The rest of the group seems okay, ranging from difficult to just a bit mean. This Darth Doom, however, was a criminal. A monster. He would need to be watched, at the very least.

"I've teleported before, though I can't do it naturally, and certainly not between... alternate worlds." The term is still a bit abnormal to him. "My teleportation usually needs a mainframe somewhere. That said, I'm happy to lead or to follow. If something needs saving, Madame Web, I'll be there. Whatever the mission requires." He looks at Addison as if to ask for input. There's a part of X that wants to smile, but he has a feeling these people - especially Doom - might see that as a weakness.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral

Spiral crosses her upper arms, while her lowest pair rests on her hips, in defiance of Web. No, of course she hasn't forgotten her experiences with Longshot - that wound remains fresh.

If Web had her defiant, the man in armor gets death-daggers from her eyes. Her arms drop as she moves closer, in near Venom, sizing up the other woman. "It has kept me alive," she says tersely, agreeing with the point. "Leadership feels unnatural to me, oppressive like a heavy coat in summer. I prefer to be in the fight." Between Addison and X...her lips press into a line. "SHIELD is well-regarded in my home, even if they do little to help my kind."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darth Doom
XP: 2 --> 3
pre:
Doom waited to hear replies. The first was what he thought might happen. She couldn't have given him a better segue.

"You take their word over mine?" Doom paused to let his words have weight. "I know not what Doom existed in your world, but he was inferior to me, as all are. My accomplishments are myriad, my resume spotless. Avenger, when their name rang true in the galaxy. Their execution when they turned on it. It was my brilliant tactics that have won the conquest of entire solar systems. My superior tact that has settled the toughest negotiations. My personal troops, the 501st, feared throughout the galaxy from my unparalleled training. I have commanded a fleet of over 5,000 destroyer ships over the conquest of an entire galaxy and balanced the delicate politics across the endless conquest."

He stopped and looked at Mega Man X and Agent Addison. "Of those two, can either say the same? Even your mechanical confidant agrees that our co-operation is in order. My leadership is the only natural extension."

This felt too familiar. He can remember going on missions as a Marvel. When Sue and Richards were still alive. No matter what he said, people would always believe that idiot, Richards. Richards was a weak master and a weaker mind. If it weren't for Richard's, people would have listened to Doom, listened to reason. Doom always had to bail fools out when Richard's plan inevitably failed.

Sue never listened.

Doom grabbed at his wound again. It flared up with a fiery intensity. He soon found himself fall to one knee. Why does it hurt so bad? The wound was like it never happened so why does it burn? And why now? He didn't dare look up. He could only imagine the look on that woman's face. A part of him wanted to remove that imagined look from her face with his lightsaber, but reason stayed his hand.

"Perhaps, I can be persuaded to take the others on as direct advisers. My physical health seems partially in question."

Taking an XP for talking about how great and powerful I once was.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Venom

Doom really wasn't getting it.

"Perhaps we were unclear," Venom hisses. "We do not like you. We do not trust you. Arrogance drips from your every word. We do not care about your military accomplishments, since this is a team rather than an army. We will follow the agent or the Avenger, but not the Darth."

Felicia desperately hoped that the others would go along with her, and particularly that Addison or Mega Man would step up. Her companion didn't care; saying that Doom rubbed her the wrong way would be a severe understatement. She folded her arms, scowling at the whole place.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Agent Addison
PP: 1 XP: 0->1 Stress: None

Alright, this has escalated far enough.

"Okay, Doom. You've said your piece. Here's mine." She looks down on him as he clutches his chest in pain. "The Doom from my world was just like you. Webb just said so. You know why that Doom still decided to work with SHIELD? Because he was willing to admit that he was involved in something bigger than him. He didn't like it. He still refused to work with anyone besides one token SHIELD handler. But he still did it. If you can't do that much, we don't need your help."

"Anyway." Addison turns away from Doom to face the rest of the group. "I have plenty of experience following orders. Mega Man has more experience with teleportation than me, but if the rest of you would have me carry the Tallus I'll take it."

I'm going to count this as asking someone for aid based on my experience with them in another dimension, so I'm taking 1XP.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 22, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

With a knowing look to Sir Nicholas, as if to invite one final opportunity to make his presence more obvious, Madame Web nods casually and returns her unseeing gaze to the rest of the assembled band. "It would seem that the majority of you are either unwilling to lead, or unable to be followed. That being said, most of you seem comfortable with our synthetic Avenger taking possession of the Tallus. Very well, then. She lifts the bracelet to the air, and moves her hand away as the device floats over to Mega Man X, encircling and integrating itself onto his left arm. "There are several rules that you should keep in mind, Weapon X. First and foremost, the Tallus will provide guidance, but not necessarily a full blueprint for each mission. You will have to keep your eyes open, and your minds alert." At this, Madame Web's chair rises again into the air around them, the webbing-like pipes wrapping around them. "Dangers will await you at each turn. Trust no one in the worlds you visit. We know not who is causing this destruction, or how many agents they may have throughout the multiverse. Observe carefully before making any hasty decisions.

"Finally, take these." She throws her arm in and arc before the team as a group of credit cards fly towards each member of the group. "These are linked directly to the Nexus, and will override any credit card systems with which they come into contact. Do not use them unless necessary for the sake of your mission, these are tools - not toys." She steeples her fingers one last time. "Are there any further questions? Now that a leader has been chosen, you may not have much time before beginning your first mission. The Tallus decides when it is time to depart, after all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sir Nicholas

"Great," I think, as I turn the spider-crone's trick card over. "More meaningless theatrics. At least let me die twice when I've had enough magic for two lifetimes-"

---

"The energy curtain appeared just after midnight, in the City Hall neighborhood of Lower Manhattan. Within an hour, it had spread to encompass the entire island, establishing-- and holding-- its current position." The blonde isn't saying anything I don't already know; it was our scanners that picked up the disturbance in the first place. "Our military reconnaissance satellites have determined that everything within the curtain-- animate and inanimate-- has been regressed to this barbarian state, translated into its equivalent historical analogue. Police became civic guards, guns-- swords. Cars-- horses and chariots." I shift in my seat as the senator next to me disgustedly waves away my cigar smoke and chuckle a little inside. At least it's something to lift my spirits during this absolute disaster. "As that final example indicates, we're talking about fundamental-- scientifically impossible-- reorganizations in the state of matter and reality." And that's what I hate about God damned magic. Magic can just cheat, and there's nothing you can do but throw your hands up and go, 'well, I guess it's magic!' like we're all children at a birthday party. And if there's one thing a spy hates, it's a fuc-

---

I come to with a burning in my head almost as bad as the arrow bullet arrow that gave me my sunny outlook. I take my hand away from my head and stoop down to pick up the Tarot card where it landed; The Chariot.

I grunt a laugh. Funny. Give the one-eyed man the card recommending 'balance'. And what celestial guidance did Crom ever give anyone, let alone me?

I return my attention to the group again in time to hear the armored mage spout off about being second man of his HYDRA. To a... Thanos.

Fantastic. We get the Doom unambitious enough to not even lead HYDRA.

Wait. What's a Doom mea-

---

A bunk may not be comfortable, but at least it's solid enough to really sit on. Y'know, when you really need to sit.

"So," I say, letting it really draw out as I rub the bandage over what until maybe a day earlier had been one of my eyes.

"So," says the one-eyed stranger sitting at the table across from me.

I take another drag off my cig. "So, you're me."

"Yes," he replies, before leaning closer. "You really going to hold out on yourself?"

"poo poo," I mutter, as I grab my pack and pop one out for him. I hand him the smoke and the lighter, careful to avoid us actually touching each other during the process.

As he lights his, which was, and apparently still is, my, smoke, I inhale and get some drat courage going. "So, you're me."

"For the third time," he replies, exhaling as he swings out both hands. "Yep."

Okay, Nick, moment of truth. "But you're-"

"Black?" I interrupt.

"Bald," I reply, scratching the uncovered right temple I found a grey in just this morning.

I chuckle, lean back in my chair, and take another drag. "Don't worry, Audie, you'll keep. Better than most, actually."

I 'ha' derisively at his barb. "So, why are you here then? Just to tell me there's... other mes out there?"

"Oh, there's whole other worlds, out there, Senior." I smirk with satisfaction and lean back in my chair as I say it. "But, no. I'm just here because one day it's gonna be important we had this ch-"

---

I, Sir Nicholas, The Fury, Hero of Normandie, and Leader of a singularly-manned SHIELD, am getting sick of this. My brain burns like it's soaked in napalm caught in a Stygian blaze, and I've come to with a Doom monologing in my ear to make it really hurt. I guess we're still fighting over who gets to be in charge and wear the magic bracelet.

I keep quiet. I don't like offers with strings, and Web's clearly got plenty to spare.

I let the rest of them talk it out. They think the Avenger golem's a safe bet, and I'm inclined enough to agree to not sway them otherwise, even as the spider-crone glances to me. I just return her gaze as best I can.

I'll play your game, crone. We're a small piece in something much bigger, and we'll only see as much of it as we learn for ourselves. Fine. I've been out in the cold before.

I break my silence when she finishes. "Well, I hope it decides soon. We're here to do a job, aren't we?"