Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral
PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: None

The six-armed woman maintains a standoffish pose as Doom goes on another rant. She does, finally, as he decides to 'acquiesce', roll her eyes and lets out a snort. Fine, this 'Mega Man' will lead them. She doesn't seem overly impressed by this bestowal of authority. As the cards get tossed, she snaps out an arm and catches it between her fingers. "How many jobs do you expect us to perform for you?" she asks of Web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

He presumably spends
his time traveling the world, annihilating any rapper foolish enough to challenge him

Sir Nicholas

I nod and grunt approvingly at the six-armed warrior's question. "I like the head on this one's shoulders." I shoot a glance over to Web. "And what exactly is our out, anyway?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darth Doom
PP: 1
XP: 3
pre:
Physical Stress: None       Physical Trauma: None
Mental Stress: None          Mental Trauma: None
Emotional Stress  None     Emotional Trauma: None
Darth Doom, finished nursing his wounds, gets back to his feet. Shakily at first, but he is back to his footing. The pain took his mind off words while he knelt, but he knows what was said. Scornful words. Foolish words. Do they think I do not know there are bigger things than myself? I slaughtered friends for the Hydra Grand Plan. They act as if I'm a selfish child or a nervous interviewee screaming and yelling about his every accomplishment afraid he'd be passed over. I am neither. I am Doom. I do not suffer fools.

But the time for suffering fools seems to be here to stay. This phantom wound has me winded. Doom does not suffering fools just as he is not a fool. Cooperation is in order.

"If you wish the Droid to lead us, then I'll follow." Doom says quietly, "Best in the hands of an unthinking machine. Only assassin droids are programmed to lie. Assassin droids and ones who have gone too long without a memory wipe. At least the tallus will be in the hands of one who I know cannot suffer me with lies."

"Now, Madame Web, what would you have Weapon-X do?

Little Mac
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X
PP: 1 XP: 0 Stress: None

X looks at the Tallus that has encircled his left arm. It's light - barely there at all, really - but it otherwise doesn't register with his systems. Being handed a leadership role was nothing new, but he could always feel the weight of his past failures.

He recalls stepping up to take the lead of the Maverick Hunters 17th Unit. Dr. Cain had asked him to to lead but Double's betrayal had torn them apart. Sigma took a lot of lives on X's watch. The next time X remembered being a leader was in the Avengers. He took teams out to chart the globe of the Merged-Earth. One time he'd a led a squad a little too deep into what they'd find out was Shadaloo's Shadowland. Hand Dolls attacked en masse. Cable and Jin simply didn't make it back.

Now, looking at this group he has been chosen to lead, X wonders if he wasn't going to lead some of them into a similar fate. With Double there had been a traitor from within - and X feels uneasy about Doom, Spiral, and even Fury - but at Shadowland it had been his error in judgement.

"We'll complete the mission, that's all that matters." He looks at Spiral. "However many tries it takes, no matter what reward lay at the end. There's a threat to human life. Our job is to eliminate it."

"Beginning mission."

His Mega Buster glows and whirs with a neon blue light. For a second, X thought he could feel the Tallus hum a little.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Madame Web nods approvingly to Mega Man X. "Your leader was chosen well, Weapon X. There is a threat - to life. All life. I know not how many missions you might expect, but you will need to discover the cause as quickly as you might. And to you, Sir Nicholas the Fury, your 'out' is discovering the nature of this threat and determining a way to stop it. Your team was brought together explicitly for this purpose." The Tallus is humming, and glowing as well now. "Your mission is about to begin. I can provide no further answers, you will have to discover the rest for yourselves. Stop the destruction, track the source, and stop it once and for all. The task before you will not be easy! I wish you luck, Weapon X!" Her voice fades into the distance as the light of the Tallus fills the area, blinding the team. And then, they are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQe1QxHZuWg

The world spins around Weapon X as they find themselves on solid ground again. Almost instantly, the vomiting sets in. The trip was even more taxing than they'd expected, and to make matters worse, they've found themselves in a desert, along a seemingly deserted stretch of highway. Fortunately, it is night. Hopefully this means they won't be dying of dehydration just yet. As the team gathers themselves and stops their stomachs from churning endlessly, the Tallus begins relaying information to Mega Man X. Apparently the world they've traveled to will be overrun my Mephisto and Dormammu, a dread alliance against which this dimension has no true protection. There is no Sorcerer Supreme, or any practitioners of magic at all. They have all been murdered by a fearful populace and magic has been banned entirely. All magical items have been locked away to prevent their corruption from spreading. Finally, the Tallus speaks one riddle-like phrase and silences:

"Awaken the great beast from his eternal tomb. He must bear the mantle that would have been Strange."

It appears they will have to find civilization and seek answers, but it is unclear which direction leads to the nearest settlement.

Little Mac
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X
PP: 1 XP: 0 Stress: None

X listens closely as the Tallus speaks into his mind. Ones and zeroes float in front of his eyes. There's something so easy and effortless about communing with the Tallus - probably something to do with the Copy Chip, X thinks. He explains the situation to the team, just as it was told to him.

"Weapon X, I've got a feeling the locals here won't be too kind if we err on the side of magic." His eyes immediately turn to the most immediate threat. "The Doctor Doom I knew was a sorcerer, so perhaps if our Doom is as well it might be best to rely on mostly technological means for now. The rest of you - well, I guess it would be good to get a feel for what we're capable of. The populace of this world has locked away their magical items and this world needs as Sorcerer Supreme, as much as it may not like it. We need to 'awaken the great beast,' the Tallus said."

X looks out into the distance.

"So I need sitrep, team. We need to find civilization and fast, or else this world is damned. "

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Agent Addison
PP: 1 XP: 1 Stress: None

Wait. The old man's Sir Nicholas of Fury? So he's... Well, guess she's going to have to use those protocols a bit earlier than expected.

---

Urgh. The Tallus is no quinjet, that's for sure. She slowly stumbles to her feet as X explains the situation.

"We're on a road. Roads lead to civilization, one way or another. Pick a direction and we'll get there."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darth Doom
PP: 1
XP: 3
pre:
Physical Stress: None       Physical Trauma: None
Mental Stress: None          Mental Trauma: None
Emotional Stress  None     Emotional Trauma: None
Darth Doom simply looks at Mega Man X and pulls out his lightsaber. "The power cosmic is not magic, though some do believe it a sorcerous way. Your concern is noted and valid." With a bright red flash, Doom ignites his lightsaber. "But you will find I am far from crippled without my more obvious use of Cosmic might."

Extinguishing the blade and putting it away, Doom hears Agent Addison make the obvious conclusion. Doom could make an assertion, scout things out, and a pick a direction. But Doom is not a fool. The trust from his colleagues is low. They refuse his wise leadership, then his wise counsel may similarly fall on deaf ears. They wish the droid to lead and they need proof Doom can be trusted to work under someone else.

So be it.

Turning to Mega Man X, he says in a neutral voice, trying his best to hid his natural leadership from his voice, "Droid, it is your command. Which direction shall we go?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Spiral

"How terrible for them," Spiral says with a sigh, drawing her swords on principle, since they're somewhere new. She gestures one direction down the road. "That way," she says with a tone of confidence.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Venom
PP:1 XP:0

She cocks her head at Spiral's pronouncement.

"Do you actually know, or are you being decisive so we'll get going? Not that it matters, I suppose; if none of us has any reason to think one direction is better than the other, and I know I don't, might as well just pick one and move on."

Venom shrugs and starts walking in the direction Spiral indicated.

"Mega Man, you've got a good point. Mostly, what I'm good at is talking people down, and dodging for as long as it takes to do that, even if that means bouncing off the walls and running on the ceiling. Which is lucky, since I'm not great at taking hits, and only a bit better at dealing them out. Nothing to do with magic, and not really technological either, so I should be fine around here on that front."

Well, unless someone decides that alien symbiotes count as magic. ...and in a xenophobic environment, people might just decide that any unusual superhuman abilities are torch-and-pitchfork-worthy.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

As Spiral and Venom begin to head off in their chosen direction, the rest of the team is left to decide whether to follow. They are not given much time to make their choice, however, before they see lights coming from beyond a small dip in the road. A large, military-style transport truck is coming up the highway from behind them, going towards the same direction that their two teammates had chosen. A pair of jeeps are in front of the truck, and it appears another vehicle follows behind. Each vehicle has a driver and a pair of passengers as well. It seems that there is something of importance being carried by this convoy.

And the vehicles spot the team of heroes on the roadway, they come to a halt about 10 yards away. It is difficult to see with the headlights blaring in their faces, but the occupants appear to be wearing blue/black uniforms similar to that of Agent Addison. One of the figures seems to be communicating on a radio, another shouts out to the group through a megaphone. "Identify yourselves and stand down immediately, or we will be forced to open fire - this is a restricted area!" The figure on the radio is speaking much quieter, but the team can pick up occasional snippets such as, "containment zone," "the Cube," and "unidentified potential combatants".

It looks like you've only just landed and already you have a potential combat on your hands! It doesn't seem like any supers are around in this group so you could try and engage directly in a fight. Alternately, you could try bluffing them with mental stress or finding another way out of the situation, depending on what you can think up.

Lager fucked around with this message at May 26, 2018 around 04:02

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

He presumably spends
his time traveling the world, annihilating any rapper foolish enough to challenge him

Sir Nicholas

Wiping the last of the vomit from my mouth - Crom take all this teleportation - I stand up just in time to get an eyeful of dust as the first automatic chariot stops. The riders look like the other kid, and if she's to be believed, she's at least from a Shield. Maybe getting a lay of the land won't be so hard after all.

"You all go get our two wayward friends," I tell the others. "I can handle this."

"I want to speak to your Fury," I holler, as I brandish the eagle crest that at least once marked me as leader of The Shield. "He ought to know me. I'm him."

quote:

@RandallODim: 3d8+1d6 I Want To See Your Me! = (2+7+3)+(1) = 13
10 w/ d10 mental stress effect die

1 XP for pulling interdimensional rank, tagging Lurks/Addison

RandallODim fucked around with this message at May 26, 2018 around 04:18

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Four of the figures step out of the two vehicles in the front. They hold hands out towards the main transport vehicle, signalling it to stay put as they slowly approach. Standing close enough to the group that they block the bulk of the light from the jeeps, the team can now see that their uniforms are indeed a pretty close match to Agent Addison's, but the insignia is different. Whereas both Addison and Sir Nicholas have eagle-crests, these soldiers have an art-deco styled burning torch symbol on their uniforms. The lead soldier speaks first, "Fury? As in Nick Fury?" He looks to his comrades, before turning back to face the group. His hand is on his weapon and he lifts it from the holster but does not raise it towards the team. "Your outfit...very Rennaisance Faire, I'd say. I think we'd like to get some readings on you and have some questions answered. I'm going to have to ask all of you to come with me, please." He narrows his eyes slightly. "Now."

@Lager: 3d8 = (8+1+3) = 12; 11 with a d4 effect. They wind up beating your roll and survive the stress, you're up Agent Addison!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Agent Addison
PP: 1 XP: 1 Stress: None

"What Mr Fury is trying to say is that we are investigating a class-C dimensional instability. Agent Addison, acting head of SHIELD." She follows behind Sir Nicholas, ID card held high. "I understand inter-departmental protocols are always tricky, but I will need to ask for some operational leniency given the gravity of the situation."

Going for basically the same thing as Fury, but in a more official way. Team d10, Agent of (A) SHIELD d8, and splitting Psych into 2d6.

quote:

@Lurks: 1d10+1d8+2d6 = (2)+(7)+(1+4) = 14

One d6 opportunity for the GM, and 11 total with a d10 effect die. Tagging the TORCH agents to go next, because we're waiting on Lager's reply post either way and they're probably going to pop off once I mention dimensional instability.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at May 26, 2018 around 05:12

«2 »