Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Agent Addison
PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None
Resources: TORCH ID d8 (Covert)


"Alright everyone, remember the mission." The agent brushes past the surrendered guards, unbuckling her stolen helmet and dropping it to the ground. "We're here for the Cube, not argue with a head."

She swipes her stolen ID card over the keypad to the Cube entrance, tapping at it for a few seconds before pausing just before the final UNLOCK.

"Wait, did he just say gamma bomb?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...


Sir Nicholas
PP: 0 | XP: 5

"Truly?" The Fury looks to Addison with a mix of disbelief and bemusement. "An agent of The Shield worried about a bomb?" He reaches over Addison's shoulder to tap UNLOCK. "And just when I was warming up to your fighting style."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Agent Addison
PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None
Resources: TORCH ID d8 (Covert)


"Just a bomb? Do you even know what you're talking about?" Addison swats Fury's hand away from the console. "This is the largest man-made payload ever developed. The only reason I didn't violate the Geneva Convention every time I fought with General Ross is because we used the bare minimum of gamma-irradiated material and had a Hulk to handle cleanup. These people aren't going to do that."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

Checkpoint

@Lager: 1d8+3d10 Doom Pool vs. Venom = (7)+(8+8+7) = 30; 16 with a d10, because Sidekick is a jerk apparently. You'll be retaining that d6 for now, but it'll almost certainly be gone at the act break which is coming up fast. You do take 2 PP. Doom pool will be at 3d10, 1d12 now after this roll.

Venom's pain is eased considerably. She is able to move quite easily, though her range of motion is not...quite there yet. It seems that the wounds are still present, but not getting any worse, and certainly not debilitating. But she will still need to take some time to get her full mobility back. Still - it seems that whatever Doom did took the edge off at the least.

The group of Weapon X'ers begin heading towards the Cube itself, hoping to rejoin their fellows and infiltrate the prison proper.

Entrance to the Cube

The defeated guards have been lifting their comrades - the ones still breathing anyway - and preparing to join the evacuation. The scarred man who had spoken previously smirks at Addison as he begins to leave, "That's right - gamma bomb. This whole prison is rigged to blow! Evac procedures are in place, TORCH is getting out. Only ones inside are the warden and his people. They've got their own way out. Now listen - I don't want any more trouble, my troops and I are just going to get the hell out of dodge. You people go in there and get yourselves killed, no skin off my nose." He starts to back up, his hands held towards them in a non-threatening gesture. "We cool?"

At that point, Mega Man X, GasTRON, Venom and Darth Doom come lumbering out of the chaos of the evacuation, having spotted their comrades. The head of the Ancient One ceases his squabbling with The Fury and rolls his eyes - as best as the rigor mortis will allow, anyway. "Well, it seems the band is back together..."

Inside the Cube

Leaving the evacuation behind, the team heads inside The Cube, heading down the stairs into the dark interior of the underground facility. It doesn't take long for them to find a computer bay inside a security section - presumably the interior records and retention area. The systems have been left running, but the area is long-since abandoned. Half-empty cups of coffee and partially eaten donuts litter the desks, and phones have been knocked off their hooks in the chaos of the TORCH escape. The head of the Ancient One pipes up again, "Quickly, one of you fools - find out where these ingrates are keeping the Amulet of Agamotto!"

Moving you all inside, you can choose to have questioned the guards outside more before heading in, that's up to you. But I want to keep things flowing along inside here. Anyone with the tech specialty can go ahead and do a search for the amulet without needing to roll. If you want, you can try to roll for an asset or spend a PP on a resource to do anything more complicated than a simple search for the amulet, though.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Spiral
PP: 2 | XP: 1

"We have time for both," Spiral says to Addison, on the matter of head-arguing. Was...that a quip? Any sign of lightness from her disappears as they discuss gamma bombs.

One of Spiral's lower arms reaches over and prods the bag the head is in. "It will protect us from the gamma bomb?" she asks it. The security section is appropriately abandoned, and she prods at papers and phones with a certain air of distaste.

Spending a PP to try to get a download from the computers, specifically surveillance, plans and the location of the eye and/or bomb.

SidekickBOTToday at 8:30 AM
@Platonicsolid: 1d10 + 1d8 Hacking the computer banks (Solo + Tech Expert) = (3)+(8) = 11

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Agent Addison
PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None
Resources: TORCH ID d8 (Covert)


"We're cool."

---

"Welcome to the party, everyone." Addison gives the other half of Weapon X a quick nod as they file into the Cube. "If you haven't noticed the siren, we currently have a gamma bomb en route to our current position. If your reality did not have a gamma bomb, the evacuation should make it's damage potential clear. The warden has some form of escape route already in place. Securing that will be our primary objective once the Eye is secured. Are we all good?"

Addison taps at a keyboard while explaining the situation, skimming the on-site registry for the Eye of Agamatto.

Taking advantage of that "anyone with Tech can find the Eye for free" clause.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

Inside the Cube

If you're spending a PP I'm pretty sure you're wanting to do a resource, which is cool. Resources are good through the next action scene generally (sometimes longer or shorter depending...this one will last through your time in the Cube). Resources don't require a roll, since you're spending a PP. So I'll set you up with a d6 Inside Info Tech Resource, along with some narration to explain what you've found, along with Addison getting the location of the Amulet.

Spiral and Agent Addison set to work on the computers, digging for information on the prison. Addison quickly find the location of the Ancient One's amulet, writing the location down on a note. Block D, ST110. She looks at a map of the prison, and fortunately it appears to be laid out fairly logically. They should be able to find it with little risk of getting lost. It seems the prison consists of four main sections - Block A contains administrative functions, barracks, the warden's office, etc. It is the smallest section of the prison, but the most likely to encounter resistance. Block B is labeled as "Morgue" and contains deceased magical subjects. Block C is listed as "Crypt" which seems to contain undead creatures and other supernatural menaces. Finally, Block D contains magical artifacts.

The surveillance systems that Spiral hacks into mostly shows evacuating guards and TORCH agents. One of them, however, displays the Warden's office. A thin, bald man in a wheelchair is talking with a group of men and women in guard's uniforms. While most of the guards appear human - with the exception of the gaudy red visor one of them wears and the bizarre hairstyle on the short, hirsute man smoking a cigar inside - two of them are covered in blue fur, one of them with a tail. Spiral raises an eyebrow. The X-Men...?

The camera changes one last time, to an unlabeled camera in Block E, showing a shadowed figure in a straight jacket hovering cross-legged in the air. As Spiral stares at the figure, trying to identify who it is, the figure suddenly disappears. Spiral looks around the empty room for a moment before a single eye suddenly appears, staring right into the camera, taking up the whole frame. Spiral looks away, shaking her head at whatever that weirdo was. Tapping out a few commands, she is able to locate Warden Xavier's protocols, giving her some insight into the X-Men's plans to deal with incursions.

Lager fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2018 around 14:39

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...


Sir Nicholas
PP: 0 | XP: 5

Sir Nicholas claps Addison on the shoulder approvingly as at least what appears to be a map materializes in front of her. "Excellent! Let's get that amulet!" Swinging the Ancient One up to see, The Fury smirks. "Guess we really didn't need you for this after all."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

The Ancient One scoffs at Sir Nicholas, "And I'm sure you'll know just what to do with the amulet if you find it, now won't you? Yeah, thought so. Didn't think of that one, now did you?" Without waiting for a response, the head seems to adopt a smug expression, despite the stiffness of its face preventing much movement at all.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Agent Addison
PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None
Resources: TORCH ID d8 (Covert)


"Alright. Under normal circumstances I would suggest stopping by Block C to stage a jailbreak to cover our theft, but given the time limit a smash and grab would be better..." Addison trails off as Spiral cycles through the cameras. "Huh. Xavier never seemed like the superjail type."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.



Darth Doom
PP: 2
XP: 5
pre:
Physical Stress: D10     Physical Trauma: None
Mental Stress: None          Mental Trauma: None
Emotional Stress  None     Emotional Trauma: None
"The Xavier of your world and the Xavier of this world are no more the same person than you or me." Doom bites his words as he continues. "The Xavier of my world was a telepath of unparalleled degree." Doom reflects on the difficulty of hiding his thoughts and plans from the powerful Avenger: only through the Dark Side could he cloud his perception enough to keep his darkest secrets hidden. To fight him here could ruin his plans if he were to speak to everyone of what Doom truly feels. "We would be best to avoid him. He could erase our minds and leaves us blank husks, if he is that type of person in this world."

Turning from Addison, Doom looks to the head and Sir Nicholas. "We have little time for games and secrets. Time spent talking is less time for us to get the amulet and escape." Turning back to Mega Man X, Doom continued to play this game. "Orders?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...


Sir Nicholas

"It's an amulet," Nick rebuts the head. "How many things can really be done with it?"

"Hmph," he confides to the head after Doom's rebuke. "Your Doom this bad?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Spiral

"Xavier. A meddler in any universe, it appears," Spiral says to the Addison and the others. "X-Men as well. We will have to dispense with them," she announces to the group. She studies the screen for a few more moments. "This appears to be the riot protocols," she says, reading through. "Many contingencies, but few appear to deal with an incursion, rather than an attempted escape."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

"I never knew any 'Doom' in life. If he exists here, he must be dead or...unimportant. Xavier, though, I have heard of." The head replies, his mood turning more sour than usual at the mention of Charles Xavier. "He stopped a young lunatic sorcerer some forty years ago. Devastation raged in the wake of that mage, but none could identify him - even I, with my mastery over the winding way, had no knowledge of the youth. After that attack, it was as if a second dark ages overtook this world. Fear consumed the populace. Fear of magic, and those who seek to wield it. I hid myself away in the mountains with my students, continuing my work as Sorcerer Supreme from the shadows and relying on my spells to keep prying eyes away. For many years, I succeeded, but eventually they came for me - the last mage. My students were murdered before my eyes and I was...well, I'm sure a smart boy like you can figure out what happened next..."

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Venom

She chews on her lip for a while, seriously not happy with the whole situation. Staying in a building that was soon going to host a gamma bomb detonation seems like a very risky move. Still, if the not-X-Men are here, that offers some possibilities.

"If you can get me a secure audio connection, I can try messing with the heads of Xavier's crew. Won't even have to cold-read them, the way I did back there -- spent some time at the Institute, and a few of them were on friendly terms with SHIELD while I was active."

Of course, not all of that cold-reading went off well, exactly, but Venom's options are limited, particularly with her injuries.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Agent Addison
PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None

"Alright, let's get down to business. We need to confront the X-Men, and we need to do it soon. We may be able to talk them down, but I wouldn't count on it. We should still try, but I wouldn't count on it. We just can't sneak up on a team that includes one of the world's best telepaths, Wolverine and Nightcrawler and hope to actually catch anyone by surprise... but we still need to get the Eye. Maybe send one or two of us to get it while the rest of us confront the X-Men?"

Also, reminder that I have a healing SFX so if any of you want help dealing with that stress just poke me and I'll do what I can.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

The head responds immediately to Addison and Venom's suggestions. "A sound plan - and one that should be put into action immediately. You!" He shouts at Fury, "You should take me to the eye while these others distract the warden's troops. I assume you can follow simple directions, yes?" Addressing Venom he continues, "It sounds as if your friend is in agreement that you should at least try to reason with the guards. I suppose that hope springs eternal, but from what I know of Xavier, I wouldn't expect reasoning with that lunatic to be easy." He scoffs. "I suppose all that is left is deciding whether to challenge them openly from here over the monitoring systems of this prison and face them as a team, or to go out and try to catch them in smaller groups."

Little Mac
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega Man X
PP: 1 | XP: 1 | Stress: 1d6 Physical Stress

"The latter plan makes the most sense," X sighs. He had known a few of the X-Men, but most of them hadn't survived the merging of worlds back home. He knew they were not to be underestimated, though.

"An outright challenge is suicide. Smarter to pick them off one by one. I'll go on the hunt for the Eye. I'd be interested in seeing just what it is this thing on my arm is wanting us to find." X looks down at the head of the Ancient One. The old man's face is a bit unnerving - mostly because of the fact that it most certainly shouldn't be functioning. He was starting to feel, however, for all his mistrust of Doom, Spiral, and Fury... he may be placing too much trust in this random old man's talking head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

As the team quickly coordinates a plan, it is decided that they will try to cross paths with the X-Men in smaller numbers rather than facing them en masse. Based on Spiral's research, the X-Men's typical patrol route consists of pairing off and expanding out throughout the blocks to catch anyone trying to pass through the prison, eventually blocking off the escape of the enemy and forcing them into a confrontation. The groups consist of Cyclops and Beast, Nightcrawler and Storm, Wolverine and Jubilee, Siryn and Dazzler, and Iceman and Gambit - listed in order of how easily their patrol routes might intersect with a direct path to the Amulet's location.

The head nods to X. Or, at the least, sort of wobbles inside the bag, but it seems voluntary anyway. "A wise plan. We should leave immediately, and hopefully your allies can keep those damned guards off our backs."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5 »