Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

The Starjammer: Bridge

Max shakes his head, "No, in truth you were on your way to some other world when we pulled you here, instead. We required your assistance, you see, so The Doctor..." He pauses a moment, realizing that introductions did not take place on the bridge, "the chap with the oversized scarf, that is...The Doctor devised a way to lock on to the dimensional signature of the Tallus and summon you here instead. He opens a control panel at the sensor station and focuses, extending a hand out. The electronics inside begin to lift out and reconfigure by themselves. "Pardon me a moment, I must reset the sensors to their standard configuration now that we've succeeded in bringing you to us." After a few moments, the control panel lifts back into place, sealing the electronics away again.

"I'm afraid we've been stranded in this world for some time. We determined our mission here was doomed unless we could bring in reinforcements. With you and your team here, now, well...Perhaps we'll be able to even the odds after all."

The Starjammer: Sickbay

@Lager: 4d8 Doom Pool vs. Miss Fury = (4+5+2+8) = 19; barely beats the roll at 13 with a d8. You won't heal the stress but it won't go up either.

The Doctor steps forward, smiling wide and seemingly fascinated by the living ink, as it were. "Oh my! A cartoon world, you say? I've never met a cartoon before, much less been to a cartoon world. Would you like a jelly baby?" He pulls out a small paper bag from inside his coat, offering a little candy to the young woman. with his other hand he removes a small cylindrical device with a little red circle on the top that looks almost like a tire pressure gauge. Holding the device over the ink, it emits an odd, whiny sound. He raises his eyebrows in surprise as the ink does not react.

Sikorsky, meanwhile, stares intently at the girl. "How long has this cartoon world overtaken? How long does it let you be you?"

---------------------------------------

Sikorsky listens intently, and the droning hum of his wings is very calming. Unfortunately, Miss Fury's mental state is not improved much considering that she was just getting used to the idea of cell phones and satellite television and has now been flung onto a space ship in a distant galaxy surrounded by aliens and travelers from other dimensions. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, it seems...

"I cannot understand truly what you feel, Miss Fury..." Sikorsky admits to her as he buzzes about overhead. "You must see, I was a part of the previous crew of this vessel. I invited the Captain's Exiles to stay onboard here, but I am not of their team. I know only the reality you see before you. I only imagine that it must trouble greatly to be constantly shifting and having expectations of reality be upended at every turn. My words of little comfort can only say this: You live. You survived the ordeals of your last adventure, and now you must survive this next. I do not know if that will help, but hope that it does." The little insectoid creature seems to smile, tilting to the side as it hovers. It almost looks like it shrugs.

Lager fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PP: 2 | XP: 0 | Stress: Physical d6, Mental d4 | Complications: Motivated Mind Control d4

Earlier, Gwen scratches her cheek. "Friend? Yeah, you could say... sure, why not?" She shrugs helplessly, palms up. "Yep, sounds legit."

Sitting down on one of the unused med-beds, she echoes Slapstick. "Consume you...? That kind of sounds like a weird way to put it...", she says, looking a little worried. She looks over to Sikorsky. "What did happen to the Starj- er, your crew?" She mumbles to herself. "Man, is this one of those dark realities where I'm gonna be sorry I asked- eh-" She looks at the Tallus. Sup?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

1 PP, 11 XP, d4 Emotional stress, d8 mental stress

Patsy abruptly sat up and wiped the tears from her cheeks, smiling oddly at the hovering alien insect. "I guess we'll just have to see, won't we, Doctor?"

Someplace in the back of her mind, Miss Fury was planting bombs inside a German anti-air fortress while fire and bodies rained down from the night sky, and the thundering of machine guns, crashing airplanes, and explosions filled her ears. The blood of a dozen nazi soldiers pooled at her feet as she worked to bring this place down for good. Three more just like it stood between her and the rendezvous point, and the night was just getting started...

------
The Black Fury
Gain 1 xp the first time in a scene when you inflict physical trauma on an opponent.
Gain 3 xp when you use a covert asset to eliminate an unaware opponent.
Gain 10 xp when you either suffer trauma at the hands of an opponent, or are captured by the enemy.

Joy Division
Gain 1 xp the first time in a scene when you inflict emotional stress on an opponent.
Gain 3 xp when you use your own emotional stress against an opponent.
Gain 10 xp when you experience either mental or emotional trauma.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah nods to Barda, then stops, suddenly, as Darkman speaks. He turns to the man, his face cold.

"I would like you to understand that the only reason my foot is not, right this second, testing to see how far down your bandages go, is because I trust Barda wouldn't be party to genocide. So, would a sane person care to rephrase and explain? I'd like to believe that this is about stopping a militaristically expansionist empire, given what I know of the Shi'ar outside this universe. Before we can agree to anything, we're going to need more information about what is going on. From, I stress again, someone who isn't violently insane."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

PP: 1 XP: 4 Stress: None Complications:

"Symbiote? Like a symbiotic relationship. Given what you're saying it doesn't sound like that so much as a...Parasite." Peter comments at Slapstick...er, non-Slapstick's revelation of her power source.

He would have continued expositing in that general line of thought, but Elijah's bristling at the bandage dude was going to be a problem, maybe, if it wasn't dealt with.

"Hey, yeah, Dr...Westlake, was it? Genocide isn't really our modus operendi, at least it isn't mine." Peter didn't know a whole lot about the Shi'ar, that was X-Man business, so other than stories he heard from his Hank McCoy, who seemed to be on literally every superhero team there was (in fact he was sort of surprised he wasn't here, honestly), he didn't have much to go on. "The Shi'ar are...uh, avian psychic klingons who look like extras from an 80s power-metal video, right? What're they doing this time and why is it bad?" Let Elijah speak to the less crazy members of this Exiles team, anyway. Peter knew enough about his own, er, condition, to sift through some rage-monstrosity in another.

Besides, if this dude was a scientist, maybe he could get some insights into his own condition anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PP: 2, Stress: 0, XP: 8

She keeps her expression cool as she turns and leans back on the railing with her elbows while surveying the bridge, crossing one for over another. Despite the casual appearance, she kept an innocuously close eye on Max's body language and facial expression.

"So then what happens to the world we were supposed to go to, I wonder...

You guys are on this fancy ship, we just have a disco armband... it kinda sucks. Jumping worlds in a spaceship seems like the better deal. You guys got a mess hall?"
She kept her tone bored and casual despite her question being indirectly pointed... something felt off about these 'Exiles', and the fact that they interfered didn't sit well with her.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

"I'm sorry... I don't know how else to describe-" her submissive reply to Gwen's concern was cut short as she was offered the bag. A strange expression passed over her face. Pupils dilated, her cheeks hollowed, her hair almost seemed to stand on end as she snatched forward with all the speed capable of someone who hadn't used their arms in... who knew how long? She barely even chewed. Just inhaled the sweet (and almost choked in doing so) it was momentous.

She lay back slowly. As though trying to process the sensation she'd just experienced. Her tounge rolling around her mouth in rapt curiosity. "Oh my god... was that food? Did I just eat food?" One of her legs coiled itself up like a snake. The black pointed boot of Slapstick hissing slightly. Clearly acting with a mind of its own.

"Oh stop it! I'm enjoying this." She chided the rouge limb sourly. "You try not breathing or eating for a few years and see how you like it- not that it matters to you."

She turned her attention back to the others. "I think my name was Stephanie... But that was before I fell into the cartoon realm. It's an impossible world. It changes you. Molds you. By the time... I... got out, I had been Slapstick for what seemed like a decade. She doesn't age. Not unless the narrative needs her too. They... the cartoons, I mean... don't obey any rules unless the narrative needs them too. That's why they're so dangerous. The laws of physics and reality just don't apply. I only get to be me when she has to do something she hates. Like... be an anime. The western cartoons and the eastern cartoons hated one another. I never understood why... so when she "crossed over". She must have purged everything to purify herself. And then I get to be me again... as to your question about length of time... I don't know. Time barely seems to matter now. I wouldn't even want to guess. It's probably just letting me be free for a while because it thinks it's funny. Or... Because you're paying it attention."

Stephanie looks at Gwen seriously. "She was never good at making friends. The avengers of my world once got The Hulk to throw her into space once because she wouldn't stop annoying them. She needs attention. Craves it. A cartoon need it's audience."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Sikorsky turns away from Gwenpool, and the buzzing of its wings becomes somewhat erratic and jittery. "The previous crew? Victims. Captured. The Shi'ar empire, which often had been both friend and enemy, tried the others and Corsair for piracy. The new crew and the new Captain were in the prison as well. Saved me, saved the ship, were not able to save Corsair...Ch'od...Raza...Hepzibah..." Sikorsky turns back, but lowers his head in mourning. "I do not know that they are alive, and I do not believe they are."

As Gwen communicates with the Tallus, it continues to speak to her telepathically. You didn't arrive at your destination...Where are you? Why have you not arrived? There is a world in peril, need I remind you?

----------------------

Darkman, hearing Elijah Snow's posturing, simply laughs darkly. "Afraid to get your hands dirty, or your perfect white suit? Heh heh heh...Being an Exile isn't always fun and games, you'll learn that too."

Captain Hook steps forward again, and interrupts before Westlake can antagonize Snow further. "Please excuse Dr. Westlake. We do not seek genocide, merely regime change, my friend."

Meanwhile, Darkman turns to the Green Goblin and spits out another disdainful laugh. "You too, Gremlin? Your team really is green...No pun intended." He chortles a bit before continuing. "Yeah, that about sums up the Shi'ar. The real problem is their new boss, though."

Big Barda steps in to explain a bit more to Elijah, "The Shi'ar have a new Majestor." Her expression darkens as she thinks of this new leader. "He's practically a new Darkseid. We were supposed to stop him from ever coming to power, but...we failed." She looks down as she clenches a fist. "Banner..." She spits the name.

Captain Hook continues the story, "Months ago we were sent here to stop a group of heroes on Earth from sending a creature called the Hulk into space, hoping to stop his rampage across the planet. They had meant to send him to an uninhabited world, where the beast could run free and finally find peace. But they calculated wrong, and were unaware of a stray wormhole in the path of the ship - one left by a separate group of heroes from Earth called the X-Men. They had dealings of some sort with the Shi'ar in the past, and left a doorway open, apparently. Bad form..."

Darkman growls as he discusses the new boss of the Shi'ar to the Green Goblin, "Can you imagine it? Emperor Hulk...What a joke. We failed to stop him getting launched into space, and he was pissed. We were trapped on board the ship with him, and all the fighting and crashing around crashed the ship into a Shi'ar battle cruiser of some sort. Pretty soon, Hulk takes over the whole drat Empire and we're prisoners awaiting execution."

Hook looks down at the hook on his forearm as he concludes his story to Snow. "The monster only kept us alive because it wanted the Tallus, you see. It tried to...take it from me. Instead, he just got my arm." Barda places a hand on his shoulder in sympathy, looking at Elijah Snow with steely eyes. Hook continues, "The Tallus simply disappeared and reappeared on my other wrist. Apparently Hulk wasn't going to be able to just steal it. You see, inside every Tallus is a shard of the beast's true goal - the M'Kraan Crystal. When Hulk attacked, Lilandra fled with the Crystal to protect it, and Banner has no idea where she's gone. He wants to use the Tallus to find her and the Crystal both..."

Magneto smiles ever so slightly at the comments from Bullseye. "I would hope that whatever world you were supposed to help will be able to wait for you, and I assume the Tallus will just send you there once we all leave this place. As for the ship...well, we travel by Tallus normally as well. This ship is merely a temporary asset which we had to use to make a strategic retreat from the Shi'ar Empire."

Lager fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 20, 2018

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"Then we're killing another dictator? Ha! Give me a rifle, one bullet, and point me at Berlin." Patsy announces, stepping into the conversation abruptly. She probably looked half a mess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 2 | XP: 0 | Stress: Physical d6, Mental d4 | Complications: Motivated Mind Control d4

Gwen is quiet, and then says to Stephanie, "Yeah, I kind of... know what that's like, believe it or not. I mean, I got-over-it... mostly. I got to see what goes down the road of playing goofballs for eyeballs, and it's pretty lonely at the top. I mean, it made me famous, but for all the wrongest reasons." She glances to Fury worriedly, on that note, holding up a hand. "Whoa, there, let's figure a thing or two about stuff before we do whatever."

Hopping of the table, she walks over to towards Sikosrky. "But... well... I mean, if you didn't see them die, then the chances of them actually dying are pretty much zero, take it from me. I mean, it's probably not sunshine and kittens either, but generally somebody like Corsair doesn't die..." Off-screen. "... uh. Easily. Yeah. That sounds less crazy, Gwen, now is not the time to keep it realsies."

Turning away, she glares faintly at the Tallus, tapping it with a finger. I'm kind of an emotional scene here, and I'm not exactly the boss of you, you know. I think The Doctor kind of worldnapped us and I'm just trying to figure out which way is up in space and wait- am I talking with my wristband?!

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Uh. It's Goblin, actually. I get you've got the monopoly on the muy loco thing but it wouldn't kill you to get everyone's codename right - not when yours is so close to 'Dorkman', anyway."

"Hulk, huh? That's a new one." Peter continues as the rundown keeps coming. It wasn't terribly new, just the name. In his own world, Dr. Banner's experiments had resulted in him becoming a massive, insane, rage-filled monster called the Abomination. Peter had looked over his notes, wondering how it might've related to the Goblin serum that Dr. Osborn invented.

The results were pretty invariably that it was, like the Goblin Serum, a derivative of the Super Soldier serum, but the inclusion of Gamma radiation had sort of...really messed things up.

Muy loco indeed.

"Well, taking down someone like the A...er, Hulk - it's almost always a case of a talk down or Psychic interference rather than brute strength. Pretty impossible to overpower, that one. Maybe there's something in your medbay that could temporarily counter-act the effects of his transformation, at least partially." He had already started towards various instruments as he was talking, but then he pauses and looks at the doctor thing. "You uh...don't mind my sniffing around do you?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"Stuff and nonsense. That's exactly what they say about every warmongering tyrant they don't want to interfere with. 'Peace in our time' indeed!" she admonished. "Some bullies don't stay in their own yard. What's the skinny on this Banner character, Captain... Hook?"

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 25, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PP: 2, Stress: 0, XP: 8

"I see," she replies, turning back to face their heading. She figured the rest of the team would get the skinny on what's going on and fill her in. This Magneto was about as talkative as the one from her world... well, before he was used as Fury's scapegoat assassin of Tony Stark.

"So where are we heading now, then? Is there some sort of base that your rebellion works out of, or is this it?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

"How horrible. I'm sorry for what happened to your friends" Stephanie said to the Doctor bug man. No, he had a name! She was sure of it. But the Cartoon was starting to seep back into her mind. She didn't have long. She watches in interest as Gwen turns away to focus on the Tallus. She looked to the Doctor. Not the Doctor bug man, but the Scarf guy.

"So what does your bleepy do-hicky say? Anything at all? Is there any hope for me?" She knew the answer. But it felt easier to say then... well to beg to not be abandoned again. Those words hurt. She liked these people. Maybe when she next woke up... maybe they'd be there. She hoped so.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 2 | XP: 0 | Stress: Physical d6, Mental d6 | Complications: None

"Wait-", Gwen says looking over her shoulder, trying to process several different things at once as she looks at the explaining crew. "Banner? Bruce Banner? Robert Bruce Banner?"

She gestures to the side as if explaining, and says to Fury. "I hate to break to you, like, when it comes to hoo-rah Greatest Generation G.I. Joe nonsense, the Hulk has fed good U.S. soldiers their own rifles for decades. Like Goblin here said, there's pretty much three ways to beat Hulks, talk them out of it, send them away somehow, or get a god to have a punch-up with him. We're not gonna win a fight against him unless there's some plot fooey going on. He exists to pretty much demonstrate the hubris of man, or whatever."

Looking to Hook, she says with a sigh and a palmshrug, "Look, speaking as somebody who's got a who's who of villainy on my beat list, my advice: you find Lilandra, you get the Starjammers back together again, and then you guys and the 'Jammers make tracks as far as you can in your respective directions. That's it. That's your win condition."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"How dare you!" Fury bristled, unconsciously dredging up a hint of Dorothy Walker's inflection. "These folks asked us for help, and you not only tell them to surrender, you insult those who would stand and fight? And to think, I was starting to like you, Pinky."

Despite the outburst, and her clouded mental state, Patsy was becoming aware that this might actually be more significant than she understood if these rocket-ship-piloting future people were suddenly invoking religion. Offhand she began to wonder who she knew that might qualify as a God... no, it sounded ridiculous. How bad could this Hulk fellow be?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Magneto shakes his head ruefully. "Unfortunately, what you see is what we have. I'm told that acting as one lone pirate ship against the entire Shi'ar Armada is something of a time-honored tradition for the Starjammer, no matter what the universe is. Right now we're on our way back from raiding a Shi'ar scout ship for spare parts and supplies. We tend to hide in a fairly...unstable part of space called the Badlands.

The Doctor stashes the sonic device away in his multitude of pockets as he looks to Stephanie, his toothy smile gone but with warmth in his eyes. He ignores her question entirely and instead focuses on testing out her hypothesis. "I won't lie to you, my dear - I'm fascinated at the idea of meeting a real live cartoon. I do so love to be surprised. But perhaps, under the circumstances, it's best to say that you have my full and complete attention right now." He signals to Elijah Snow, who seems to be at least somewhat clever, and Big Barda, to join him. "You said that you fell into a cartoon realm? How did that happen, exactly?"

Darkman shrugs at the Goblin's protests. "Honest mistake. The last one of you I met went by Gold Gremlin. Couple worlds back. It all blends together after awhile, you know."

Sikorsky seems gratified by Gwen's words. "You are hopefully correct. Hopefully soon we will know for certain." Sikorsky then nods his assent to Peter's request to poke around the medbay. "Of course. If you can find anything to help the mission at hand, the better it is for all of us."

At Gwenpool and Miss Fury's argument, Hook interjects. "Our...win condition...was stopping the Hulk from ever getting into space, and I'm afraid we failed at that."

Darkman interjects bitterly, "Though to be fair, the Tallus sent us here right as he was taking off..."

Hook nods. "A word of warning. You may find that as you go, the Tallus becomes...temperamental. It's almost like you're being set up for failure after a while. But I don't believe in a no-win scenario. That's what led us to bring you here. The Tallus told us that Hulk would get sent to space, and would become enslaved by the Shi'ar Empire. Eventually, he would lead a revolt and take over as Majestor, giving him access to the M'Kraan crystal. Embittered by his treatment at the hands of Earth's heroes, and the Shi'ar themselves, the Hulk would be compelled to use the crystal to take over all of reality - and destroy it in the process." Hook looks to his Tallus again. "So far, the only part of the scenario that has not come to pass, is that he hasn't gotten his hands on Lilandra or the crystal. He knows that we're out here. In all honesty, I suspect he's tracking us - hoping we'll use the Tallus to find Lilandra and the crystal, and he'll simply follow us there. We had to add a new element into the game." With this, he gestures to Gwenpool, Miss Fury, Starband, Green Goblin, Elijah Snow, and even the half-Slapstick girl. "You are that rogue element!"

The Tallus on Gwen's wrist, meanwhile, continues to insist on intruding on the conversation. World-napped? The Doctor...? Wait, the guy with the scarf and the jelly candies? But that's...that's cheating!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"That's what I like to hear, Captain; not one step back!" her arms unfolded as she strode to the Starjammers' side of the sickbay. "So, what's the game? This 'Hulk' expects us to lead him to the Lilandra dame and her... McRan Crystal? Am I saying that right? How can she help us? And what's so valuable about this crystal? We talking magic, or mad science?" this was starting to feel like the early days. A chippy on the lam with some valuable jewel, and a dangerous crime lord chasing her down. And of course, Miss Fury adding an unexpected element of daring and chaos to the mix.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

"It's the center of everything." She had been quiet so far, so so quiet because it was too much like home. This ship had been the last year of her life, before she had returned to the mansion and then instantly reduced to nothing by the machinations of Space King Dracula. Even the previous New York hadn't given her this dopplevision, the uncanny sense of unfamiliar familiarity. And the Starjammers...gone? Dead? Impossible, inconceivable, unallowable! But also stone cold fact. They weren't here. This wasn't her world, no matter how close it was. "It's so old that it predates the idea of science or magic. It's so old it may predate time itself. And if mishandled, it will destroy this entire universe." She looks at her hands. They're shaking. "I'm not going to watch the Shi'ar Empire become the ruination of space a second time. Even if that means I have to fight the Hulk again." Berenice Blair squeezes her hands tight to still them. Serious time. "I am The Starband, the Cosmos Conducted, the Big Bang's Beat. But I'm also a Starjammer. You're the serving captain of this vessel, Hook, so you're my commanding officer. I await orders."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peter silently groaned beneath his mask - with Ms. Fury and Starband getting all gung-ho about everything, he didn't vocalize his agreement with Gwen's 'get out of dodge entirely' idea.

Still - he could tinker. Tinkering was good, the last crisis didn't leave a whole lot of time, and there was a large-handed grumpy old man in the way at the last lab, so, Peter scooted over to the medbay and started rifling through various instruments and tools.

He was halfway through rolling up his suit's sleeve and plunging a weird, syringe-looking thing in his arm that he came to a realization and looked up.

"Oh hey uh, Doc - these ARE sterile instruments, right?"

Nothing for it, of course. His earlier hypothesis holding true, of course, that this Hulk guy's power source was similar to his own, then using his own blood as a sample and then uhm, upscaling the result could be useful. Both for this current issue and also, uhm, in the event that he needed to keep a little extra in case he wanted to experiment further in the future...for himself.

Sort of a distracting thought, really.

So, going to make a "Hulk Weakener" Complication for if/when we go up against the guy using my own weird Super Soldier Serum derived blood!

(if this succeeds I'll keep a little bit for myself and claim the 3 point [when you find something new that you think may lead to a breakthrough] milestone)

The roll is Solo d10, With Great Power d4 +1PP, Science Master d10, and going to spend a PP to use Genius and step up the effect dice. So, let's hope this doesn't suck.

It uh, kind of sucked.

@LifeGetsWorser: 2d10+1d4 SCIENCE! = (5+1)+(3) = 9

That's an...8? With a d6 thanks to the step up. And a complication. But if it succeeds (yeah right), I'll spend a PP and keep it around for a scene.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

Stephenie examined the tips of her fingers, as the Ink starts to fill them. Bleaching the already pale skin into a clear white where it touches. Setting her dark eyes on the strange scarfy man.

"It's more accurate to say I was dragged in. They found a way into our world. But they weren't prepared to be pushed back by heroes. In their escape, their door cast out a vortex to suck them back in. But I was too close. I remember flying through the air. I remember the blinding colours. Then I was pulled in all different directions. Squished until I was little more then a spec of dust. Twisted until I was an unrecognisable spiral. At some point, I became Slapstick. But time is meaningless there. Only the rules of genre and the tropes." A sad smile. "I eventually found a way out. Back to the world. But years had passed. And people find the antics of a cartoon a lot less charming when consequences follow their actions.You may laugh when a cartoon knocks someone's eyes out. It's harder to laugh when they don't get their eyes back." She shivers.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Doctor watches the ink continue with seemingly no change in momentum, and decides to change tactics. "I see. But lets talk about you, my dear. Who were you before Slapstick came about? Tell me about Stephanie! You mentioned that the heroes pushed that world back. Were you one of them? Everyone is the hero of their own story, regardless. Tell me about that."

@Lager: 4d8 Doom Pool = (3+5+4+1) = 13; 9 with a d8, so one short there. Adding a d6 to the doom pool so you can claim a PP, Goblin.

Peter, meanwhile, is unable to do much with the alien technology here in the sickbay. Every step forward becomes two steps backwards as he tries to figure out the equipment and eventually decides that he'll simply have to wait until he's acclimated a bit to the surroundings. Perhaps if he tries again, later, with Sikorsky or Westlake assisting...

Hook smiles and nods conspiratorially to Starband at her pronouncement. "Welcome to the crew, then, Starband."

Darkman laughs bitterly, mumbling, "Hope you survive the experience..."

Hook presses on, ignoring the comment. "For now, the order is to rest up. I understand how jarring it can be to jump between worlds, especially after you've just finished a mission. Once we get to the Badlands, we'll sort out how best to get you all in contact with Lilandra, and how to throw off any suspicion from the Shi'ar. Sikorsky, in the meantime, will help to heal your bodies. Use the time that you have to heal your minds. Eat a meal, watch the stars, read a book. It's good for the soul." He smiles, and begins to head out of the sickbay, intending to return to the bridge. "I will summon you all when we reach our destination."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

"M-Me?" Stephanie's eyes went wide. It was never about her. No one was interested in her. Why was he asking? "I-I wasn't a hero! I was just... I was just there because I wanted a donut. I got caught in the middle, because I panicked and froze. I was just a normal girl. I had a life. I had a family. I was barely scraping by in school, but I wasn't.... I wasn't special." Her eyes flickered uncertainly off and onto The Doctor's face. Embarrassed to be paid this much focused attention.

That was the moment that Slapstick's face grew out of her knee. "Yo! What's the hold up! I got my-"

Stephenie's eyes somehow went wider. Some side effect of her cartoon body? "Ahhhhh! Ahhh!!!" She hissed in quiet horror.

"Huh? Oh hey me! You're looking... fleshy. You're all upset. Do ya want a back rub? Maybe a foot massage? All though, they are my feet- well, out feet, right now. So.... just...."

The head craned around "Ohhh, this is new. Oh, yeah, did we win that fight? With the stupid looking giant robot? Ya know, the purple one."

"But... but you've never done... this.... what...." Stephanie sounded choked up. "Why are you in my knee?!"

"Uhhh, correction, I'm in MY knee. It's my half of the body right now. Yo! Scarfy! Tell her!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Gwenpool raises an finger to point at Starband, agape for a moment before starts to stammer. "He is not- you are not-" She shuts her mouth, glaring for a moment, and then just closes her eyes and sighs, waving it off loosely and offhandedly. "We need to have a team chat anyway." She looks to Hook. "We've been on-mission this whole time and we kind of need a moment to breathe, if that's cool."

Pushing herself off the table and onto her feet again, she rubs her neck, looking over to Slapstick. "Are you okay?" To Sikorsky: "Is she okay?" And back to Slapstick. "Look, maybe I can teach her a thing or two, I used to, uh, kind of have a consequence-free mindset myself, but, uh, you know, it turns out that led to a dark future and black lipstick and I said nah. Can you walk?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

PP: 2 XP: 4 Stress: None Complications:

"drat." Peter growls as the equipment proves objectionable to being worked with. He was fairly certain that the solution was there, but maybe he'd have to ask some residents first...

Gwen was right though, The Exiles (not the uh, well other Exiles though), needed a break. And he was one of them. "GP's right, we could take a moment to chat - we just killed a Purple jackass and then immediately ended up here, so I think we could maybe exhale before trying to topple yet another autocrat, yeah?"

Putting down the (for now) useless equipment, Peter wanders back over to the table that Slapstick(s?) were on. "If you need, I can set the glider to a low hover and you can hang out there if you uh...are having a disagreement with your legs?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Against better judgment, Patsy felt ready to fling herself headlong into anything. Anything at all that might prevent her from having to think too long about what she'd done lately. Even just expressing how overwhelming the idea of being in the future - and then in space - felt had shaken her more than it helped. Possibly because the "doctor" was some sort of talking dragonfly. But even still.

"I suppose we do have a long voyage ahead of us. Though I think it'd do us more good to plan than to rest." her posture was noticeably tense, and and anytime her feet stopped moving, her hands began to fidget. She dearly desired a cigarette and a drink, though she hated to think she needed either. "Where shall we quarter, then, Captain Hook?" every time she looked at the man she had to ignore her earliest memories of seeing Betty Bronson on the silver screen for the first time. Remembering her childhood wasn't helping her mood.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Hook nods to the Exiles. "Of course, take all the time you need. I understand how jarring it can be to hop around - whoever controls the Tallus jumps, they don't take shore leave into consideration...Barda - if you would, please show our guests to their quarters once they've finished up here. My place is on the bridge, now." He nods his head to them all, a simple gesture of goodbye as he departs.

Sikorsky hovers over to Slapstick and Gwenpool again. Sikorsky buzzes right next to Gwen's ear, whispering to her softly as the Doctor keeps Stephanie distracted. "For your friend, I'm...not sure that much can be done. Until we understand this 'cartoon world' better, at the least. The Doctor and I will review notes, if stalling it is impossible at this time." At that, Sikorsky pulls away and addresses the room once more. "If any of you require further medical care or assistance, rather than adjourning to quarters you are here welcome."

The Doctor, meanwhile, is still trying to find some way to stall the cartoon's steady encroachment on Stephanie's body. Addressing the cartoon knee, he adopts a disapproving tone. "I'm afraid that I will not be telling this young woman anything of the sort, until you find some way to sustain yourself that does not require parasitic behavior. Now then - you'll just have to wait, as she and are are having a lovely conversation." He returns to looking at Stephanie, ignoring the cartoon antics of Slapstick entirely. "Don't bother addressing that one down there, my dear. I don't want to hear anything more from that one right now. I'll tell you what, Stephanie. I'll prove how special you are. I want you to think of the most beautiful sound you've ever heard, and I want you to describe it to me."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Steph/STICK

Stephanie managed to tear her eyes away from the bobbing baloon that was Slapstick's head to focus back on the Doctor.

"I.... that... that's a super weird thing to ask...." She thought hard. Really hard. Even as her knee was having weird faces at her. She was almost getting used to the weird. Almost.

"I once heard someone play a violin. They were really good. It was a sorrowful sound. I sat down on a nearby bench and listened for an hour. With my head on my knee, just crying softly."

Slapstick's head however, hones in on Gwen and Pete. "Well, have you ever seen a baby try to walk before it can support it's own head? It's super comical I know! Well imagine her up top all flopping around, while I go on my ever so graceful way." He ears litrally perk up at Goblin's offer. "What? A present for little old me? How could I say no?" She glances back to Gwen. "Hey babe, wanna take a ride on my new hover chair?" Slapstick cocked an eyebrow. Steph looked deeply uncomfortable.

"I'm really sorry, I don't know how to make her stop." She apologised.

"Pah! Don't get all jelly just cuz you think she's cute too!" Slapstick shot back, Steph's flush was palpable.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"It's not a chair...and you're borrowing...!" The Goblin starts, sounding a bit frustrated, but then he catches himself.

"...why am I arguing with the schizophrenic cartoon symbiote?" Peter shakes his head. "The uh...aggressively amorous cartoon symbiote, at that." A sigh follows up the head shake.

"So, uh, 4 -" He changes tack, addressing the poofy-haired Doctor. "How long does your uhm, interdimensional interdiction last, anyway? We're not in any danger of being scooped back out by the Tallus like, mid Banner fight are we?" He hadn't really been sure where his question was going when he started asking it, but it ended up being a pretty important question that no one had really asked yet, so he was pretty impressed with himself for asking, though really why should he be? He was a genius, after all!

"I only ask because I figure that if we do end up with an extra minute, when you're finished treating the uh...situation...here, I could maybe pick your brain on something?" He leaves the question hanging and then tilts his head. "So uh, Exiles - I mean - my? - Exiles - are we having our chat or what?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"If we must." Miss Fury answered. "If you would be so kind as to show us the way to our quarters, Captain? And perhaps a drink while we're at it."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The doctor grins wide as Stephanie describes the sound of the violin. "I have asked thousands of different creatures that question, and I have never heard anyone describe it quite like that. You see? You are alive. There's nothing more special in the universe...or the multiverse. Hold on to that feeling, hold on to that sound." He stops grinning, looking at her with a wide-eyed expression which seems to exude urgency, but his voice addresses the others nearby. "I think that we may want to avoid giving too much attention to the cartoon interloper until it learns to behave, please." Then he winks to Stephanie and his face adopts its former, warmer expression. "Just hold on."

Turning to the Goblin, the Doctor smiles wide. "I've tied your team's Tallus to the one on our dear Captain Hook's wrist - when we are sent away, you will be as well. I can break that tether at any time, and of course I will not keep you prisoner here if we are unable to successfully complete the mission. I suspect that once the tether is released you will go on your merry way. I will be happy to assist you once I'm finished here, though for all his...temperamental issues you may find Dr. Westlake an able partner as well," he helpfully suggests as he turns to see whether his patient's condition has worsened.

Barda looks to Miss Fury, "Apparently I get to play tour guide, I can show you to the commissary, or your quarters. Anyone who wants to head there and give the Docs some peace and quiet can follow me." She loudly announces to the group of assembled Exiles, and waves them towards the door out of the crowded infirmary. Towering over the rest of them, she is rather impossible to ignore.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Eyes half-lidded, Gwenpool says to Who, "Don't address the one with the big bauble attached to her wrist, that's fine that you didn't ask. Just. Fine." A momentary shake of her head, and she looks to Stephanie. "Ehe. You just gotta adapt sometimes. This is a pretty crazy world we're in." Putting up her hands, she adds, "But gliders aren't exactly built for bunches. Silver surfboards, maybe."

Looking back to Barda, she says, "Sure, lead the way, uh-" She raises a finger. "- Barda, yeah? Big fan. Not as big as you, obv, but... weird seeing you here. Not as weird as Hook or Who, but..."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Starjammer: Halls

Barda raises an eyebrow to Gwenpool. "Have you met another...me? I'm sorry, but I don't recognize you - just him." She sticks a thumb towards Elijah and she leads the group out of the infirmary, showing them the way to both the mess hall and their quarters. The Starjammer is fast, but not exactly large for a spaceship - the Exiles should have no trouble navigating it for their stay. As they enter the mess hall, Barda shows them how to dispense food as needed. "Our food stores are not exactly overflowing, but at least it's mostly edible. I don't know when you last ate, or whether your stomachs have finished churning from the journey here, but you're welcome to whatever we have." She crosses her arms, looking to the group of them. "We should be almost to the Badlands. Once we're safely inside, I'm sure the Captain will brief you all on the mission. Until then...be well." Barda leaves the Exiles to their own devices, then, alone in the cafeteria of an alien spacecraft in an unknown alternate dimension.

I'm going to give you the chance to have a bit of a team huddle, but in the interest of keeping the plot moving along (and since the transition scene was starting to drag a bit) I'll skip time forward a bit. Feel free to have your posts cover both periods, or just one or the other.

The Starjammer: Later...

The ship lurches slightly as it slows, almost imperceptibly thanks to the inertial dampeners and artificial gravity. Elijah certainly feels it, though. The Exiles are in the mess hall, eating a...breakfast, maybe? Not easy to tell what time it is here, after all...when Captain Hook comes in, his hand behind his back in a thoughtful pose. He raises his hook hand as he speaks to the assembled heroes. "My friends, we have reached the closest thing we have to a home in these cosmos - the Badlands. We should be safe for the moment from the prying eyes of Emperor Hulk's forces." He places his good hand on his sword, resting it on the handle as he continues, "You will have to take a small shuttle to find Lilandra. Your Tallus, just like mine, will be attuned to the wavelength of the M'Kraan Crystal she possesses. It should be easy enough for you to find her. For our part..." He strikes a dashing pose, drawing his sword and fencing with the air briefly. "Well, we'll just have to make some noise to pull the Empire's attention away from you."

He sheathes the blade again, smiling to his new friends. "We will leave the Badlands first, and send you a signal when it is safe to venture out on your search. That way, any scouts monitoring for us will have no idea that we've split up. Hell, they don't even know you exist! What say you, friends?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Then
"Why it's just like an automat!" Patsy was thrilled to have something on hand that wasn't alien, outer space, futuristic science fiction to latch on to. She helped herself to a turkey and swiss, and what the machine claimed was a cherry cola.

Taking a seat and her sandwich in both hands - most unladylike - she gesticulated to the room with her elbow "So, what do you need to discuss, Pinky? This seems like a relatively simple bait and switch. Badguys want the dame with the stolen jewel, they think they can follow us to her, team A leads them on a goose chase while team B does the real legwork. I must've done this sort of caper a dozen times, even before I had real training. It'll be cake. Oh! I wonder if these machines can make cake?"

Now
"I say 'let's make it happen' cap'n!" Fury threw a lazy salute and smiled. She felt like she was working with the real Captain again, in a way. This Hook character had a similar aura, if a bit rougher around the edges. Patsy liked rough around the edges.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Halls

Gwenpool slumps a little as if in relief. "Am I the only one that's who noticed they're a bunch of bad guys?", she says, vaguely gesturing in the direction of the bridge. "Okay, maybe not all, but you get the feeling we might not be the first people they've worldnapped. This whole thing has a Moby Dick feeling and I don't even have to have read the book to tell you that." She holds up her Tallus, pointing to it. "We're supposed to be saving another world right now, even. This whole thing stinks and I'm not waiting for a big reveal to say it."

Folding her arms, she looks away, fuming.

Later...

Looking up to Hook, she says as she leans on the table, "Ehhh, no way this is easy. Things are never easy in space, particularly in the part of space that has 'bad' as part of the name. But, um, do you have an armory? I could really use some cool space guns. Right now all I have are the regular guns." She makes a fingergun. "It doesn't feel right to be 'blamblamblam' in space, I really need a 'zap' or a 'vmmm'!"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Before

"I mean, I don't think ol' T.Bakes is a bad dude, if for no other reason than my childhood just couldn't take it. But yeah...it's a bit sketchy. Especially that Dr. Lake guy, he's really uh...off his rocker." Peter nods in agreement with Gwen's assessment of things. Scooting around the table to the Tallus-wielder's side, he shrugs. "Listen, this whole situation sucks. Maybe it's like what they said and they really need the assist. Or maybe they're like...the anti-Exiles or something and we're messing something up. You got info from the Tallus before...is there any way to ask it what's supposed to be happening in this universe?"

After

"Personally, I'm all about the boom and the zot, no matter what time period we're talking about." But then again, the Green Goblin was a genius. "Never bet against the classics, I say."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Then...
With a short huff, Patsy put down her sandwich and bent an ear to the conversation at hand. "So you what, trust that Mister Bender now? Over these folks? The fella styling himself as Captain Hook seems as on the level as any of you, children's story villain or not. The rest of them seem as screwy as anything else going on. Would you suggest we throw our lot in with that Hulk character you're all so terrified of?" her temper was rising, and a headache was forming. And she would literally kill a man for a cigarette.

Rubbing her temples, she tried to continue more calmly. "We have to trust somebody. Or maybe not trust, but cooperate with them. At this point... she barely stopped herself from saying something as unproductive as "I don't care who."

"Everyone's got designs on Lilandra, so let's start by trusting her. That means we find her first, just like everyone wants us to. Then we figure out who's on what side, and pick our allies accordingly. But for the record, I'm with you lot, above all."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Steph/STICK

Boyed somewhat by the Doctor's promise, Steph had settled into a determined relationship of ignoring the endlessly chattery Slapstick. Eating the first actual meal she'd had in years. Half eating, half inhaling. Likely to the point of being told to slow down.

"I'm just happy no one is trying to kill us right now. Also food. So... that's nice, right? Sorry, all this superhero stuff seem so... unreal."

"Pshh, who cares? I think we'd be better sticking together. Sure, these new guys are... uhhh... people I guess. But can we really trust them? Especially that Doctor guy. Seems like a creep! Want me to smash him?" Slapstick offers.

"Shut up." Steph hisses.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Starjammer: Later...

Hook lowers his head in a slight bow, acknowledging Miss Fury's excitement to get started, before turning to Gwen to reply, "Of course we do have an armory, it came with the pirate ship after all." He smirks a bit before continuing, "Though it would be bad form not to admit that it is somewhat...lacking at the moment. We've been running without the ability to resupply for some time now, you see."

If you choose, you can setup a resource by spending a PP, or you can go for an asset by rolling against the only slightly swollen Doom Pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Before...

Holding it up, Gwenpool says, "I don't know, it said something about the Doctor cheating and then just shut up after that." She eyes the Tallus, and pokes at it as if looking for a interface, and looks to Patsy uncomfortably. "I'm not saying that! I'm just saying that they spacenapped us, straight up. And that's not something good guys do." A slight shake of her head. "But Lilandra... is usually good no matter what continu- er, I mean, she usually means well more often than not. So that's a good anchor, actually."

Later...

"Look, all that matters is that I zap instead of blam. I can work out the rest. Usually." Gwenpool scratches her cheek. "I just might need to see if you have any paint...!"