Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

"...fascinating. That's not quite the Bleed...well, we're within expected values."

Elijah Snow peels the smoking remnants of the Bleedsuit off, tossing them onto the road of light. There isn't much to them, anyway - a Bleedsuit need not be especially complex to make a one-way trip, and anything bigger would've been too expensive for this experiment. He reaches into his jacket, removing a small tablet as he starts walking down the road of light, looking around.

"Drums, I've arrived safely. The Bleedsuit was burnt out, as expected, but you should be able to fix on my signal in case of emergencies. Do not, I repeat, do not send Wilder to fetch me unless I specifically tell you to do so. I don't think the shiftship was made for an area like this, or it'd be on their maps. Send."

He takes a deep breath, looking around.

"So this is the center. Well, I suppose I should see who's in charge around here." He looks down at the tablet for a moment, activating the map projection. A hologram appears before him.

"Note to self, find a way to change the damned font.".

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

The hologram vanishes as Elijah turns to face the new voice.

"Excuse me? Hell no. Do you accuse everyone you meet of being a Nazi or should I feel insulted specially?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

"These days...?" He quirks an eyebrow but doesn't react much beyond that. "The name's Elijah Snow." He holds out a hand to shake. There's no obvious weapons, and no sense of fear. "And you are?"

His eyes flick to the others arriving. Interesting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah has remained perfectly calm and quiet throughout this.

"'42, hm? Trick question. The All-American League was founded in '43." He turns towards Domino. "I'll give you this once, young lady, but I don't appreciate threats. Being disoriented counts only so far. As for where we are, I can answer that. And how you got here, sort of. All of you were likely about to die, it's one of the criteria. This place is the center of the multiverse."

He's rather matter of fact about all of it, and calmly begins walking again towards the giant sphere.

"It saves certain people on the brink of death. Taps them to become part of its defense systems. So congratulations - you're all here because the multiverse has decided you needed to survive and help out. I'd suggest you follow me and we find out if it was random or if someone actually directs that kind of thing."

He's banking on random, but his last experiences with multiversal protective systems suggest there's usually something that explains what's expected, or at least instills in the proper instinct.

"Oh, and the name is Elijah Snow. Honestly, these whole alias things you 'hero' people seem to love are ridiculous."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

"I couldn't tell you about Heaven or Hell. I've never been there. My brief experience with the afterlife informed me I don't belong there." Elijah actually sounds slightly saddened by that. It had been a beautiful place. "But unlike the rest of you, my trip here was more deliberate. I'd guess that what's next for us is up there." He points at the big, central silver thing.

"As for going back...well, we'd need some way to transition through the Bleed and a proper set of coordinates. Unfortunately, this place here is rather hard to reach by normal means, so I can't think of any real way back right now that'd be safe. I can't say I know of your Doctor Strange, either. In fact, I don't think I know of any of you directly, though cross-universal things are always...strange." Pause. "The Bleed would be the space between universes, incidentally. It's red and dangerous."

That seems to cover the important things to know about it.

"Oh, and at a guess, most of you other than Miss Fury here are from after the year 2000?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah steps back, out of the way. He squints for a moment at Bender. Not what he'd expected.

"You get television reception here, then?"

That's also unexpected.

"So are you an Exile, too, Bender, or did you just start here?"

The mission statement makes a certain amount of sense. He turns to the Goblin.

"I can't promise you anything, but...if you happen to know the quantum coordinates of your reality in the Snowflake, then I can try to have someone check up on things. But given the number of universes out there...finding a single, specific one without a reliable set of coordinates in the Bleed is practically impossible. Doing it from here would be even harder - all the equipment I know of is back in my home universe, and it doesn't sound as if the Snowflake plans to give us much choice in our destinations."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"...the verge of vanishing? Did you find out why?"

Elijah turns to Bender.

"If we're all to be rewarded by going back home at the moment we left, then...can I send some things with her, if they're prepared? We can work out the details, but...well, as you know, I volunteered. I want to save her world, along with the others we'll be helping."

He doesn't wait for an answer, instead looking at his tablet again.

"Drums, the word is 'universal destruction.' Begin research into entropy-increasers and how to fight them. Universe coordinates still unknown, appear to involve some kind of metafictional conceits. Check the Four's fictionaut research, it might help. If we're lucky, they managed to do more with it than just find out how to weaponize fictional characters. I'll get you more information when I have it. Send."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

The temperature drops by a good ten degrees as Bender speaks. He reaches out to grab Bender's shirt.

"Natural? Who gives half a poo poo about what destruction is natural and what isn't? Who decides? You? The multiverse? Why should any of us care about that?! It's a coward's answer! I don't care if what threatens her home is the same as what threatens others! I don't care if fixing one won't help fix the next! Your multiverse, it made me. It made me for one purpose only. And I don't care what it thinks is natural, because I'm not."

He's practically snarling, his face a mask of rage.

"You sit here and tell us which disasters need to be stopped and which don't? Look at her! She's been facing down the greatest monster her 20th century ever produced! And if she'd lost, would you tell her it'd all be fine, the universe goes on? Because it'd be natural that sometimes, a bad man with a gun shoots first? You tell this other woman her universe dying is natural and you're going to just put her back there to wait for it all to end? What's natural is we poo poo in the woods and climb trees. What's natural is children die of Ebola. So don't you tell me about natural deaths, you little shitstain. If you won't be helpful I'll just go around you. And if you try and stop us from fixing these so-called natural deaths when we run into them, I will take your broom and feed it to you backwards. So let's have no more of that, shall we?"

He shoves the man, turning away.

"You, Slapstick, was it? You have my word upon my honor, I'll see your universe lives if I can. And you, Miss Fury. You've done well. Don't let anyone tell you differently. There's always more wrongs to right, and I can promise you this - what you did matters. You saved your world from Hitler. That's all we're asking here - to do it again. And again. And again. To fight the good fight, over and over, because in one hundred ninety-six thousand, eight hundred thirty-three facets of this goddamned snowflake, there's always going to be another chance to stop a monster, and you know how to fight them."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

"Actually, I'm not that fond of decay, no. Or, for that matter, of radioactives contaminating things in the first place. But that's why I have people working on new archival practices and potential reversal of entropy." Pause. "On more than a personal scale, that is. The man I know that can reverse entropy has yet to figure out the science behind how he does it."

Elijah is not ashamed of disliking when things are destroyed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“I know my limits. Anyway...While I’d very much like the information, I prefer my stomach to remain where it is. As for reality...it’s always been weird. That’s the charm of it.” He turns to Miss Fury. “Teleportation is instantaneous travel from one spot to another. Imagine if you could go from here to the end of a football field without needing to cross any distance in between.”

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 15, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah reaches into a pocket and pulls out a box of cigarettes. He opens it, stares at them for a few seconds, then closes it and puts it away, looking at Bender again.

"No more questions for now." The man wouldn't answer the ones he really wants, anyway. "Young lady, if you could be sure to inform me exactly about what the...Tallus tells you, when it - well, communicates? I'd like to learn more about it, how it works, and given you'll be taking care of it, that seems the best way." He catches the card, slipping it easily into a pocket as well.

He does pause for a moment, though.

"Weapon X, really? That's a - of course it is. We had the Authority and that's just as bad. Never did find out why they thought that sounded good. But honestly, the sheer balls of it...Weapon X. The kind of people that use that kind of name, you might as well just go with Kill Squad or something similar."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah shakes his head. "That...wasn't what I expected, either." No Bleed. Strange. He nods to Bullseye. "Probably best to make ourselves scarce, yes."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah examines his tablet as the Tallus' information and advice is relayed. The Drummer set the thing up to be able to infiltrate and interface with just about any non-protect wifi (and most standard protected ones that don't require active hacking skills to get into). "Well, this place seems to be...strangely average, as it were. But nowhere truly is - the secret history is always there, even if there aren't any superhumans. On my home Earth, a group of men with absolutely no superhuman abilities or, indeed, anything beyond basic metallurgy and excellent algebra made a gun that fired a man into a semi-stable translunar orbit for over a century."

He pauses. "Not that that's relevant here. What's relevant is that most of your are going to need pants. The spandex is simply ridiculous in a time and place like this. Starband - I suppose Ms. Blaire is probably the more appropriate name here - and I can get some clothes for...most of you, at least." He glances at Slapstick, and then sighs.

"Once that's handled, we need to find out more about what's going on here and why in blazes this thing wants us to become assassins."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah
XP: 1

"Fair enough, I suppose...and I'll have you know a white suit never goes out of style." He pauses, then, as Fury removes her cowl. For once, he actually betrays an emotion - surprise.

"...sixty years. That would be about right. Do you do USO tours in your universe or just the fighting?"

He smiles faintly - the first smile since his arrival, in fact.

"We'll just have to hope no one we meet is an old film buff, or you'll have to claim to be your granddaughter..."

He pauses, flicking through his tablet a moment.

"...actually, I don't know that you had film credits in this universe. Pity if you didn't - I always did think you did well in Roman Holiday. Audrey Hepburn stole that Oscar."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"Most people aren't as old as I am. I doubt many of the people alive in this city would've seen your work, if it exists here in the first place." Elijah shrugs. "I just happen to have been alive during the War. ...and the War before that."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“Von Doom? Really?”

Elijah shakes his head.

“Mind control...that’d explain a lot of the reactions out there, I’ve got some experience with that kind of issue. I can only hope this one isn’t as bad as Dowling...”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“Pheromones? Oh, that’s far less of a problem, for was expecting a telepath.”

Elijah shakes his head.

“As long as I am expecting him, I can handle pheromones easily - they’re gases. Sufficient heat subtraction will render them entirely harmless.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“Actually, that makes perfect sense. Pheromones have limited range, and even a telepath has limits. Range, concentration, even just the time required to indoctrinate. Better for him to offload the duties of control as much as he can, to reinforce it and to require less personal attention.

Elijah frowns.

“Makes our lives rather harder, of course. But...hm. It may be something we can use to our advantage. It betrays a lack of confidence, as if any weakening of control would be a terrifying threat. We might be able to make use of that to cause enough problems to require personal attention.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"I can handle the destruction of any machinery and subduing operators." Suddenly, the chill he radiates becomes intense, and a piece of old piping is frozen solid. He strikes it with a fist, smashing it to shards. "Vocal cords freeze nicely, and it's even nonlethal. ...if I want it to be, of course. Electronic security will be harder, however. I'd suspect our Mister Parker can handle that. Recon...well, that seems to be something several of us can and should handle. We'll need fighting skills, all of us, to handle what comes - my abilities are extremely potent but far too reliant on my personal attention and focus. But if I may...we may not want to destroy all of it. There's a second way to fight propaganda on a massive scale. And we have our own voice to show the world."

He looks over to Starband.

"Isn't that right?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"I'm afraid you'll have to take the appropriateness of my name up with my parents." Elijah shrugs. "You must admit it's better than 'von Doom', though."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"Give me just a moment and I'll see if I can prepare us. Mental control comes in two broad varieties - the kind that affects the brain in a way that makes you want or need to obey, and the kind that takes over your nervous system directly and puppets you. I am almost certain the first is in play here, not the second - certainly this Bong uses sound, the other uses light - but both are trying to manipulate the instincts, thoughts of emotions of everyone involved. And yes, I can track down a broadcast center. Now...ah."

He pulls out his cell phone, tapping a quick app.

"Mister Wilder, can you read me?" Pause. "Excellent. No, do not fix on these coordinates -- the last thing we need is the shiftship appearing in the sky." Pause. "Wobbly? Well, that's good, you wouldn't be able to in time anyway. No, I just need you to patch me through to the Drummer." Pause. "Drums - no, shut up, Drums, I haven't time for pleasantries. The word is 'brainwaves'. I need something that will reinforce and strengthen natural brainwaves to resist mind control." Pause. "Yesterday." Pause. "Do not complain to me, young man, I will kick your rear end by telephone if I have to. Audio works fine, yes, it just needs to be general-spectrum defense. No, nothing fancy about the nerves, just the mind."

He holds the phone up. "Patching you into the local broadcast systems, Drums, that should give you the data you need on how the control's targeting."

A minute or so later, the phone beeps, and another man's voice rings out of it: "There ya go, man. Bee tee dubs, everyone says hi and wants to know what souvenirs you're bringing back. What's the name of the world you're on? Can I name it?"

"You'll get my article when I send it, Drums. And no, you can't name it."

"Too late, I already named it Earth-lovely TV Shows. Seriously the hell are these people watching?"

"Hanging up now, Drums."

"-yeah, yeah, your app is loading on the phone. And I am so tracing your location for the map-"

"Goodbye, Drums." Elijah hangs up. He looks at the phone, then nods. "All right, we're ready."

Team d10, I Need To Know d10, Superhuman Senses d10, Tech Expert d8. Result: 5+9 = 14, d10 effect die to make an Anti-Mind Control App asset. Spending 1 PP to make it longterm.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 23, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah has been quiet, simply taking note of what's going on, absorbing and memorizing it all for writing and sketching later. He pulls his hands from his jacket pockets, pulling out a small lighter. He opens it up, looks it over, then narrows his eyes.

"How many children did you start with?"

The entire room's temperature drops massively. As it does, Elijah flicks the lighter, tossing it up at the sprinklers, where it explodes into a small fireball, causing them all to immediately go off. Gimmicked tools and weapons are something Planetary has plenty of, even if they keep the big guns well locked away. The water sprays down over the room, starting to coalesce and freeze only and exclusively around the guards and Wizard. (He's left the Producer alone for now on the basis that the others probably want to interrogate him, and mass freezing is less amenable to that.

It is, however, grotesquely unsubtle and a massive display of power.

@morsrattus: d10+d10+d12+2d8+3d6 (Team+Icy Exterior+Heat Subtraction+Weapon+Tech Expert+3d6 Area Attack+d6 Frozen Solid, using Focus to combine 2 d6s into a d8) = (4)+(1)+(3)+(1+5)+(2+1+3) = 20

So that comes out to:

3 opportunities, and a roll of 9, with effect dice of 12 (stepped up), d6, d6, d8, all stepped up.

So: 9, with the instant shutdown on Wizard, and d8, d8, d10 on the mooks with a Frozen Complication.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Rolled a total of 15 with a d4 effect die to resist (6,6,3,1,1 on 3d10 and 2d8), after spending a PP to buy in the extra die so I don't end up with a d12 complication. Team, Icy Exterior, Superhuman Senses, Anti-Mind control App, Mystic Expert.

Even with the app broadcasting, it takes most of Elijah's will not to drop to his knees. This is more direct and potent than he's dealt with, even knowing how it works. He can tell it isn't quite real, but it's not helping. Even going back to his meditative training with Melanctha to fight off the mental blocks placed by the Four isn't working out so well. He's stuck fighting his knees' attempts to drop out beneath him - unsuccessfully, as he drops to one knee, grimacing. It kind of sucks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow
PP: 3

@morsrattus: 3d10+2d8 Team, Icy Exterior, Superhuman Senses, Anti Mind Control App, Mystic Expert = (8+5+9)+(1+6) = 29 - 17 with d10 effect die to resist. This time I'm okay.

Elijah takes a few deep breaths, closing his eyes as Faustus tries to focus in on him. It isn't real. He is real. The universe is real. He pulls to mind the smell of Melanctha's tea, of the feeling of diving within himself. He cannot rise from his kneel, quite, but he doesn't have to. His eyes snap open as the app does its work in reinforcing his brainwaves.

He focuses on Faustus. Blood is leaking out of the wounds from the shattered machine and the strike from the hammer. Elijah isn't, by nature, a killer - he won't freeze Faustus' blood in his veins. But he is happy to pull the heat from the blood that flows out of his wounds and use it as the core for an icy prison to lock the man in place and render him unable to do so much as move.

@morsrattus: 1d12+3d10+2d8+1d6 Team, Icy Exterior, Heat Subtraction, Frozen Solid, Superhuman Senses, Science Expert, Faustus' physical stress = (12)+(5+8+3)+(1+3)+(6) = 38 - 20 and a d12 effect die (due to Frozen Solid stepping up a d10) for a...d12 Frozen Solid complication

Tagging Bullseye.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 9, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah stands, brushing himself off.

"A pleasure. Elijah Snow." He ignores the drawn arrow. "I wouldn't worry too much about the popsicle, as you put it, if we have to leave him. He's stuck in there for...oh, quite some time." He pauses, and the room's temperature drops significantly. "...yes, quite some time. They shouldn't have proper heating going for quite a bit. He'll have some very nasty frostbite by the time he's out of there. As for your world, sir...well, let's put that aside for now, but I can tell you that I will do my best to get that answer for you."

He looks up at Peter.

"I'm afraid we don't know too much about where the president is right now. Have you seen Miss Fury? She went to one of the other studios, I think."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“Unfortunately, things didn’t end up going to plan, no. We had more trouble than expected and...well, you see what happened.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah has been silently observing, as is his wont when he has nothing to add or complain about, especially when his player is super busy with life.

"Trust me, this is not the least dignified way to travel. That would be spending six hours in the trunk of a Model T to get the border guards in the Belgian Congo."

Pause.

"90 degree weather and wetter than a sauna."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah has no patience for fights. He doesn't especially enjoy hurting people...but he's also not going to shy away from it, if it's what he has to do, and when he has to, he fights dirty. He simply walks forward into the knockout gas, which spreads away the moment his face gets close to it, the heat removed so the pressure changes. Instead, he grabs one of them by the face, smashing him into a wall with barely a glance, breaking the man's nose. He turns, punching another in the gut before shoving him aside, and then slamming his knee into another's groin.

It isn't pretty or elegant, but Elijah's never really been one for elegant fighting.

"Ah, Miss Fury. Nice of you to join us."

@morsrattus: 1d10+4d8+1d6 dirty fighting (Team, Icy Exterior, Enhanced Reflexes, Dangerous, Enhanced Strength, Stress) = (10)+(4+7+4+1)+(6) = 32

17 with a d8 effect die, stepped down by Observer and stepped up by Dangerous. One Opportunity.

Tagging...Green Goblin.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 9, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"I don't know how our...whatever the drat thing is that jumps us between universes will like it, but remind me to give you my card later. Planetary may be able to find you some similar work when they come in to do the followup."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah
PP: 3, XP: 1

Elijah scowls, walking calmly through the chaos. "I've faced your lot before, Mister President. And I must say, I am disappointed. You're nothing. You aspire to nothing. You are a small-minded, petty thug with more power than you know what to do with, and this is what you spend it on. You're not even up to the last time I faced someone like you. At least he had goals. Ambitions. Hell, an orbital laser. You? You're dooming a world for nothing but your own aggrandizement. You don't even have a plan."

The chill explodes around him as he pulls out his phone, tapping one of the Drummer's apps - a chemical sniffer, to identify the most helpfully frozen liquids. He smiles briefly and nastily. Xemnu finds his brain goo and chemicals suddenly freezing, expanding and shattering their containment. Diablo, Amazon and Hybrid likewise find the goo in their tubes freezing and slowing. Elijah has not seen anything especially creative to do with them yet. Harpy is not so lucky - she finds the air pressure under her wings suddenly and abruptly bottoming out as the air chills to unnatural lows, sending her plummeting down, unable to maintain lift - and likely breaking something, given the fragility of most wings. The tigers find rime spreading over their fur, as Elijah tries to play up their fears and make them flee in terror.

"Good god - this is your entire contingency! Did you even bother to learn more than the one trick?"

21. D10 effect die on Xemnu, stepped up to d12 by Frozen Solid, to up his Complication to Taken Out. D12 effect die on Harpy for a Grounded complication, upped by Frozen Solid, to try and Take her Out as well. D12 effect die on Amazon, upped to Taken Out, to up her Complication. D10 effect die on Hybrid, upped to d12, to up his Complication. D10 effect die on Diablo, upped to d10, to up his, too. And the tigers each get a d8, upped to d10, to up theirs.

No Opportunities.

Tagging Tiger A, so we don't end up with them just going in full twice in a row.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow
PP: 1, XP: 1, d10 Physical Stress

Elijah is sent flying into the air by the shockwave, crashing hard into a wall. He groans, not standing up as his vision momentarily blurs. He looks up, and then goes wide-eyed as the psychic contact begins. Exploration, learning - these things are part of his core. Part of everything he has ever been. They are the tools of his purpose.

The world is strange. Elijah meets Xemnu's eyes. He is tempted - sorely tempted.

But he has been in this place before. He has faced a fellow on the grand adventure of life. And for all his power, Xemnu is not Randall Dowling. He lacks the understanding.

As Xemnu reaches into his mind, Elijah closes his eyes again and throws the doors open. A hundred and twenty years of experience lie waiting.

The cosmos are infinite, and should be explored together.

The swamps of rural Georgia, where an old woman pours whiskey down his throat and leads him to meet angels.

"You want to explore?"

The castle in the German mountains, where a horde of electrically animated zombies are frozen statues, and the works of Victor Frankenstein lay broken and scattered.

"Let us explore."

The images flash faster now. Sherlock Holmes, bemoaning a deep southern accent. The airships over London, as the mole-devils of the Counter Earth swarm over them. The last ride of the Nautilus.

"The world is strange, friend."

Elijah struggles to his feet, his eyes open once more, locked dead onto Xemnu's, still inviting the psychic deep into the well that is his mind. The shiftship and its new, metahuman crew. The Drummer calling up the spiritual archives of the dead souls of Hong Kong. The alien angels and their explorations of the comet-throne of a fallen titan.

"I keep it that way."

He walks slowly over to Xemnu, leaning to stare into the creature's eyes. And still, the images of Elijah's life pour through his mind. A visit to the afterlife, the worlds of the Bleed. He is no psychic, but that doesn't mean he's defenseless against them.

"Was it everything you hoped it would be?"

1PP gained from a negative Distinction. 1 PP to stunt on an opportunity, another to add a third die to my result, and another for a counterattack.

23 with a d12 effect die/counterattack.

1 Opportunity.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 24, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah
PP: 1, XP 1, d10 physical stress

@morsrattus: 1d8+1d10+1d12+1d8+1d6+1d12 defense vs amazon, Solo+Icy Exterior+Heat Subtraction+Enhanced Durability+Shattered+Avengers Assemble = (8)+(7)+(4)+(5)+(3)+(3) = 30

Spending my two PP to add the 5 and 4 to my total, so I have a 24 Lager says heroes win ties, so I only spend 1 PP for the 5, giving me a 20 with d12 effect die, avoiding the attack.

@morsrattus: 1d8+1d10+1d12+1d8+1d12 defense vs Horde, Solo+Icy Exterior+Heat Subtraction+Enhanced Durability+Avengers Assemble = (6)+(10)+(10)+(8)+(1) = 35 so a 20 with a d8 effect die.

One Opportunity.

Elijah isn't really a fighter. When Amazon and the homunculi come after him, he doesn't solve the problem like a fighter - no ducking, no weaving, no boxing defenses, no even bothering to tell if the attack is a feint.

He solves the problem like someone for whom ice and cold are a constant ally - he rushes backwards and allows a cage of ice to rise up around him. It easily stops the homunculi, their blows barely cracking the ice. Amazon is harder. Her fists shatter the wall with each blow, but more keeps growing and growing around her fists, the cold slowing her blows. At the end, shattered ice surrounds the pair as Elijah manages, barely, to keep his distance and not get beaten down by virtue of assuming Amazon would be able to kill him if she landed any hit at all.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 23, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"I swear to God I am going to throttle her..." Elijah grits his teeth at the terrible Japanese. He stares up at the robot, eyes narrowing.

"...hm. I think I know your design..." While he could probably try to ice up the Purple Ronin's joints, it'd make him a gigantic target, and Elijah is, for all he doesn't age, quite mortal and squishy. Instead, he starts playing with his phone as he heads for cover. He flicks through a number of blueprints as he does. "Japanese design...meant to fight the - why does everyone keep calling them radioactive monsters, they're not radioactive at all...ah well. In the feet..."

Elijah looks up at the machine, then gestures, sending a thin string of ice along the ground. It creeps up the foot of the Purple Ronin, not nearly enough to keep it from moving. Barely noticeable.

"In the feet, magnetically reinforced cables that can with stand hundreds of tons of pressure once locked in."

The ice, meanwhile, grows in the cracks of the panels holding the cables ready, as Elijah attempts to finesse them open and get them to activate without actual input from the Ronin or its pilot, chilling the circuits enough to work as superconductors so that the machine thinks they're on.

@morsrattus: 1d10+1d10+1d12+1d6+1d8+1d12+1d10 Team+I Need to Know Everything+Heat Subtracting+Frozen Solid+Tech Expert+Avengers Assemble+Out of Control = (5)+(2)+(6)+(5)+(4)+(10)+(6) = 38

16 with a d12 Effect Die (stepped up to a d20 effect die by Frozen Solid) to increase Out of Control

Tagging Goblin.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

@morsrattus: 3d10+3d8 Defense = (6+7+5)+(3+8+4) = 33 - 15 with d10 defense, so I'm fine.

Elijah is more than able to sense the telltale rise in heat that comes with energy gathering, and he very quickly decides the safest place to be is behind Hercules, who appears to be able to handle the blast and more. He's not faster than a laser, but the sensation of heat gives him the time he needs to get away.

"I swear, I'm not sure what's worse, the robot or having to listen to someone butcher language that badly..."

He steps over to the smoking form of Sir Nicholas Fury, kneeling a moment. He shakes his head. "Senseless...well." He turns back to the robot, raising a hand. Ice begins to form across the machine again, as Elijah focuses in on the jammed armor, trying to tear it open even further and cause the machine's joints to burst from the ice filling them.

"Either way, I'm getting tired of this senseless idiocy."

@morsrattus: 4d10+1d12+1d8+1d6 = (7+5+10+8)+(9)+(7)+(4) = 50 - that's a 19 with a d10 effect die, stepped up to d12 by Frozen Solid, to inflict a Busted Joints complication.

Tagging Slapstick.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah presses a Planetary business card into Captain America's hand after the shake. "My people will be by after us. Keep this - it'll help them find you." He glances over at the Tallus. "Ask for the Drummer. He'll get you any help you need." After all, Elijah doesn't think he'll have time to explain things.

"It's a strange world, Captain, Ms. Hellcat. Keep it that way. As for home - I doubt it. We've got a whole snowflake of worlds out there, there can't be just one in trouble."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow
PP: 1, XP: 1, d8 Physical Stress

Elijah looks out over the stars, allowing himself a brief smile. The night sky has always sat well with him. So much out there, so much time and space to see.

Then he turns, looking around, and nods. "Captain Hook, is it?" He nods. "Worked with someone similar to you before. Elijah Snow." He looks over at Slapstick. "There should be a sickbay here for her, I hope? These ships usually have them. Might I ask what sort of piracy you usually get up to?"

That's important to determine before he starts to be trusting, even if some of the faces are familiar.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow
XP: 2, PP: 1, Physical Stress d8

"Mm. Barda and I are acquainted - worked together in the past on a Planetary op. And I've heard of you, Doctor, but your kind don't exist in my home universe as far as I know - and I've been keeping track of these things." Elijah nods. Barda, at least, is reassuring, even if his question wasn't quite answered. "Puck was your guide, then? Ours was...well, he said his name was Bender and he was the janitor, but frankly, I can't say I trusted him. A fairy trickster would be just as likely. So is this a universe-saving problem, a piracy problem or both?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah nods to Barda, then stops, suddenly, as Darkman speaks. He turns to the man, his face cold.

"I would like you to understand that the only reason my foot is not, right this second, testing to see how far down your bandages go, is because I trust Barda wouldn't be party to genocide. So, would a sane person care to rephrase and explain? I'd like to believe that this is about stopping a militaristically expansionist empire, given what I know of the Shi'ar outside this universe. Before we can agree to anything, we're going to need more information about what is going on. From, I stress again, someone who isn't violently insane."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow
XP: 2, PP: 1, Physical Stress d8

Elijah has spent much of the prior time deep in discussion with the Doctor and Barda. Then he vanished for a while and it wasn't clear where he went. Then he was back, and spent the entire time staring at Bender and taking notes on a small pad of paper without saying anything.. He shakes his head once the man vanishes.

"The thing I've discovered about the multiverse is that it feels little need to explain itself - to anyone, even its servants. I don't necessarily say he was wrong, but his Powers That Be - they aren't what he says they are, and the way he talks about some this...well. Save it for later. I have some theories that still need testing."

As the chaos begins, Elijah seems to visibly relax, even smiling faintly, as though he knows what's going on. It is slightly irritating.

"She won't kill them - not with bullets. We need to impress them and convince them. Leave the one to the fighters, Miss Pool - we've got the other job."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah
XP: 2, PP: 1 0, Physical Stress d8

It'd be easier to fight...but Elijah has never preferred the easier path. He walks through the battle, ducking and dipping to avoid stray blows but not attacking or calling forth his ice. "Fight defensively - we just want to show we're strong enough, not hurt them too badly. We need to fight together by the end, don't forget that! There's a bigger enemy."

He looks up at where he assumes Lilandra's camera is. "Lilandra, Majestrix-Shi'ar. You know that unity has always been the way of your people. Unity even in force. Remember Sharra and K'ythri. What is brought together in force and chaos can become stronger, united. This has always been the way of the Shi'ar. Even when you fight with other cultures, you preserve them. You unite with them, find what is stronger together."

The Hulk would never care to understand Shi'ar culture beyond the idea of force, after all. By showing understanding...maybe they can talk this down. Maybe.

"My people don't want to kill yours. Yours don't want to kill ours. See our strength and understand what could come from that unity. Has the Hulk really ever given you such an offer? Does he even know the names Sharra and K'ythri?"

Spending 1 PP to make that a 20 with d10 Effect Die to try and boost that asset.
Tagging...Fang. I like his name more.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 3, 2019