Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
pp 1, xp 0

She had ignored all the goings on, but this was not due to any lack of interest as such. Berenice Blaire, The Dazzling Starband, was distracted by something far more immediate to her. "It's so quiet." She stared off into the middle distance, back to the others. "No. No. It's LOUD. It's every sound, every single sound!" Silence caused not by the lack of sound but by every single bit of noise slamming into it's polar opposite and nullifying each other into nothing. Just like she had been. She had died. She had been dust. But now she was here.

It was so loud here, she could feel herself vibrating. Oh god, she was sparkling now. The noise so overwhelming her powers had no choice but to turn utterance to luminescence. In the end, there was only one sentiment The Starband could express.

"Motherfucking Dracula."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

Berenice grabs the orb tossed at her, allowing it to roll on her palm to the back of her hand then back around to palm. Contact juggling. Part of her had learned it as her first stage trick. She fights the urge to stare into it. Later, loves, later. The overly agrro fellow makes some speech about the natural state of things and its....shockingly insipid. He either missed the point or ignored it. "Are you this angry about radioactive decay, Mister Snow? Or is entropy only a sin when it suits the dramatic?" She blinks, suddenly sharply twice. "I haven't introduced myself. Apologies, but this place seems to have been less kind to me than to everyone else here. I am The Dazzling Starband. Or Berenice Blaire, if you would prefer my codename."

Starband focuses on the Tallus. "I must insist on someone else being the bearer of that. It's wonderful, honestly, but a bit too much like the Benitar. It wouldn't do to make her jealous, she's been far too good to me for far too long."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

"Yes, well. You seem like you'd be familiar with classical Grecian poetry. Best to remember Eos and Tithonus, I think." She cocks her head. "Let us hope we will not encounter a Cancer Universe on this quest." She had seen one, once. A terrible possible future where there was no death, only constant spiraling vampiric life building on life eternal, a throbbing living corpse with her least favorite living corpse in the center of it all. loving Dracula.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

Starband tries her best not to roll her eyes. She's surrounded by folk who are either dour Hank McCoy types or 'hilarious' Hank McCoy after a trip to Simon Williams' bachelor pad types. Although these folks don't smell of incense and mid-life crises. "The sooner we're on the way, the sooner we finish things up."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dazzling Starband

"You're only sixty-seven or so in mine, Miss Fury. So who knows?" Berenice had been following along, silently, distracted again by the multiversal shift. She was trying to find the through-line, the cosmic backing beat from which all motion and rhythm was rooted. It's still evading her, the song at the center of this thing, but she almost had it pinned down. It was being distorted. That was the problem they needed to fix. Apparently killing the president would put things back on track, literally. Best to do it, then.

"Well, for anyone without a more convenient means of disguise, I can always whip something up." She trills out a whistle, six notes that stop in the air suddenly and her clothes shimmer into something more street appropriate. A nice suit, a far more modern cut than Snow's (The man is wearing a waist coat. He's so old school the buses have gothic arched windshields.) The jacket cut might be a touch too powerful for daily wear but Berenice cannot help but make a statement with herself. It's her nature. She is a statement. "Sound and light are skein to my loom, to quote a old acquaintance. Just tell me what you'd rather be and I'll shift the light around and make it look that way." She offers a half smile to Patsy, not the Patsy she knew. Miss Fury. Keep the two as separate concepts, or else you'll assume they're the same and that would mean mistakes. "I wouldn't dare to assume, of course, but if you have any suggestions?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dazzling Starband

"An excellent choice! C# and around 720 terahertz...." It's a humming, this time, not a whistle, but the same shimmer and Miss Fury is now a fully modern woman not dressed like a cat. "Oh, wait. That's solved it, as well. Fascinating...." Her preliminary exercises acting like a cosmic reference-tone, The Dazzling Starband finally narrows into the sound threading the universe the Exiles found themselves in. Except, it's not just a sound. It's sounds, plural, even before Berenice forces it into song and interpretation. A quirk of reality or a symptom of this multiversal malady? Either way, two tones fighting for the same niche. Same sick core concept, just a matter of degree of internalization. "This place can't decide between narcissism or solipsism. At the core. No wonder the Tallus wants Killgrave dead if that's the end result..." There's nothing in the voice of the Starband that suggests she has any problem with that course of action.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dazzling Starband

"I wish he was here, too." Berenice mutters as Gwen vanishes to whatever plot she has cooking. Not even the multiverse could make Howard change the way he was, and Berenice could use another friendly face around. Even if it was to kvetch about Bullseye's performance. Apparently blending in was not one of her skill sets. But the voice coming through the door catches her attention. "They gave The Wingless Wizard a television show? This reality is a hellscape." Starband begins to approach the cracked door, hoping to catch a glimpse of the television and hopefully Wittman's exceedingly gauche facial hair. That'd be good for a laugh.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dazzling Starband

Of course Starband is unaffected.

@Mr Maltose: 3d10+1d4 = (7+7+9)+(3) = 26

16 with a d10 effect ties and therefore beats the television.

Berenice leaves the hypnotized civilians to return to the team. "Now this was interesting. Some really advanced light manipulation going on here, it'd completely bypass the forebrain. Duly noted. Now let's go kill the president."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
PP: 1 XP: 1

"More light tricks, eh? Fool me once....well, you didn't even fool me once now did you?" Starband shifts the spectrum as the light patterns attempt to open her mind to hypnotic suggestion. Same style as the TV broadcast which is unsurprising considering this was the source of the broadcast. Normally the image would be moving so fast, the effect so subtle, that even Starband would be unable to deflect it unscathed. But she had already dissected the pattern when she opened herself up to the effects back at the daycare. Berenice uses her powers to preemptively disrupt the signal before the light has been processed by her cosmic mind. The attempt fails to cause her any distress.

@Mr Maltose: 4d8 + 2d10 Reaction to Faustus (Affiliation, Distinction, Light Control, Speed, Psych Mastery, Stunt) = (3+7+8+5)+(2+6) = 31
Used a PP to make a stunt about Starband knowing how the hypnosis works already, and spent another to add another die. a 20 with a d10 effect

"Benitar." And it's in her hand. The Benitar, the crystalline blade that was the Starband Expressed As Violence. It hums in the air, excited to engage in its purpose. "I can't deal with any more of these hoary cliches." She pulls the sound of the Purple Man towards her weapon and the Benitar begins to shine. She can't see Faustus as such but a general idea of his location would suffice. The Starband gestures with the Benitar, and a white-hot beam of photons lances out. It's brighter than the sun and twice as beautiful. Perhaps she could have spent more time aiming and less time being flash but in the end Berenice must to herself be true.

@Mr Maltose: 1d12+1d10+2d8+1d6+1d4 Shooting Faustus with a Laser Beam (Affiliation, Distinction for PP, Photon Blast, Dazzled SFX, Weapon, Combat Expert) = (9)+(2)+(1+5)+(5)+(1) = 23
14 with d10 physical stess and a d8 Blinded By The Light complication

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 5, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
PP: 1 XP: 1

The Starband mutters a curse as her shot goes wide, but doesn't move from her dominant pose as the mob of goons unleashes gunfire at her. Bullets were no threat to her. Her hand extended, the cosmic song intercepts the projectiles with a shimmering force shield.

@Mr Maltose: 1d12+1d10+3d8 Defense Roll (Durability, Forcefields, Affiliation, Distinction, Acrobatics Expert) = (8)+(4)+(3+4+3) = 22 12 with a d10 effect die.
Going to Spend a PP to Counterattack with my D10

Her aim true, Starband ricochets the ammunition back at her attackers with her photonic shield!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
PP: 0 XP: 1

The Cosmic Conductress has been low key in the escape, honestly upset at her inability to destroy that decrepit nazi back at the tv station. But she perks up at the idea of culture jamming the televised hypnosis. "I'd prefer to assist in rescuing Miss Fury, but Bullseye's right. I may be the best chance we have to undo the harm the Purple Man has done. The basis for the hypnotic effect is very specifically varied light wavelengths." Starband raises her hand and it stops being a hand, the illusion of human shape dropped. It's shimmering and pulsing and so very very bright. Then it is just a hand again. "I am the sound and light of the beginning of everything, the cosmic expression of creative force. I can make that counter-frequency and once we have broadcasting capabilities..." Berenice's face is completely blank, but her eyes are fire. "I think I can burn out any attempts to try anything like this on anyone else ever again."

Going to spend my PP to create a Cosmic Resource "Hypnotic Counter Frequency", and getting another XP for discussing the extent of my cosmic power

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

Berenice looks bemused at Gwen's freakout, before she realizes what caused it. She can't help but laugh gently. "Oh, honey, no." Starband employs her most powerful Wine Aunt tone, which had calmed many a young student of Xavier's School. "I apologize, that was absolutely the wrong metaphor to employ. Don't think of it as burning anything. Take a couple of breaths, you'll end up worrying your girlfriend if you keep that up." Starband unsubtly makes a subtle wink in Slapstick's direction. A truly powerful Wine Aunt indeed.

gently caress it getting 3 xp for giving unwanted relationship advice!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

Berenice looks the ancient automaton up and down as she returns Captain America's shake. "Oh yes, that will work just fine." She walks over and gently touches Electro's barrel chest. The robot spits out a tinny "I AM ELECTRO!" and flashes several lights on and off. "Audio quality could be better, but nothing I can't handle." The Starband looks extremely satisfied at the prospect of driving a giant robot with the power of song. "Alright, strap me in to whatever drives this thing. It's showtime."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I AM ELECTRO

As the last of the goons fall, the slow and heavy steps of Electro come to a halt as it catches up to the Exiles. Suddenly, the lights on the wartime robot begin to flash in a rapid pattern. "INITIATING BROADCAST MODE". Electro's body begins to transform as various hidden panels slide away to reveal even more speakers. Some of them still in their original housing, others clumsily smashed into spaces too small for their intended design. The Tinkerer was definitely going for speed over aesthetic design on this one. Electro's chest opened up to reveal a holographic Starband preparing to perform. Music began to emit from the automaton in distorted waves before being adjusted into....

Starband

"This is going to be blasting doublepace to get through the broadcast, Mason. It's not safe to look directly at me until we finish." Starband warns. Then it's showtime. Her time. Berenice relaxes, lets go of her physical form until she's shining. No need for costumes, the entire purpose is her light. She remembers the sizzling of neurons at the broadcast she observed. Hold it in memory, reverse, amplify, return. Fry every bit of brain control with the purifying sound of the Starband. The Big Bang set to scale, the cosmos conducted. The song wouldn't do anything but the sound would be turned to light and the light would free the world in a joyous burst. The others probably expected rock and roll rebellion. They'd be disappointed because this was not rebellion but restoration. The revolution, after all, would not be televised. She begins to dance. There's three of her now, two light copies. Now four. The music swells.

The Starband Idol Explosion begins

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

"It's the center of everything." She had been quiet so far, so so quiet because it was too much like home. This ship had been the last year of her life, before she had returned to the mansion and then instantly reduced to nothing by the machinations of Space King Dracula. Even the previous New York hadn't given her this dopplevision, the uncanny sense of unfamiliar familiarity. And the Starjammers...gone? Dead? Impossible, inconceivable, unallowable! But also stone cold fact. They weren't here. This wasn't her world, no matter how close it was. "It's so old that it predates the idea of science or magic. It's so old it may predate time itself. And if mishandled, it will destroy this entire universe." She looks at her hands. They're shaking. "I'm not going to watch the Shi'ar Empire become the ruination of space a second time. Even if that means I have to fight the Hulk again." Berenice Blair squeezes her hands tight to still them. Serious time. "I am The Starband, the Cosmos Conducted, the Big Bang's Beat. But I'm also a Starjammer. You're the serving captain of this vessel, Hook, so you're my commanding officer. I await orders."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

“I’m beginning to think that he can’t.” The Starband’s eyes are closed, trying to focus on something else then the situation at hand. It’s too close, too personal. “Or perhaps isn’t allowed to without, what, our express permission? Agreement that this is wrong? Something of that nature? Hit the drat drive, Miss Fury, we’ve got better things to do than listen to him.” Her voice is tight. It is, after all, personal.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0pp, 5xp

“No, it’s not up for vote.” The cosmic composer allows the spin of the ship to jerk her forward. Now just within reach of the warp drive ignition, she slaps the activator with cold finality. “I won’t let her die again. Not while I’m here to stop it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
1pp, 5xp

Starband had been unprepared for the impact of the teleportation, stretched out across the cramped vehicle to make her choice. She had been slow on the recovery here as she had been slow on the recovery this entire hellish exile and now there was a fight. It had been so stupid to assume there wouldn't be a fight. The Shi'ar Imperial Guard was chosen specifically for the inclination to fight first and carefully acquire information as needed by the empire after. Berenice should have said something to the team about it. About a lot of things. As the chaos spread out around her she let herself spreeeaaad out and the shimmering lightform of the oroboric Benitar solidified into her hand as a large blunt object that was twirled above head. Let's reach out and make a drat statement then.

As the Starband moves across the newly minted battlefield a low buzz rises into a moderate hum. She strides into a windup as she approaches Titan, currently swatting ineffectively at Peter. Swatting ineffectively at his problems was a pretty apt summation of Allin Gom's approach to life in general. It would be poetic if a single lucky contact would render Green Goblin into Green Jelly. "Hey! Allin!" Berenice's voice was perfectly clear and perfectly agressive pitched immaculately by her powers to grab attention. "My teammate's right." Starband draws the extended Benitar back in a perfect batter swing before driving it directly into Titan's midsection.

"You stand down."

@Mr Maltose: 1d12+1d10+3d8 = (1)+(4)+(7+4+6) = 22 hey thanks Diebot going to spend my pp to add all 3 d8 together for a 17 with a d10 Physical Stress.

Tagging Manta because what's loving Manta gonna do, am I right?

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 30, 2019