Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mantid, the Outsider

quote:

Where do you come from?

"Yes! Hi! Greetings! Hello! My homeworld is called... hmmm... it's hard for most humanoids not bearing manidbles to correctly vocalized. Upsetting social gaffe. Considering accetable substitute from list of available options - ah! It translates into the Trade Tongue which then translates in English as The Colony. Yes! I am from The Colony. It is the home to the towering sentient bio-organic hive cities of my people. It is most beautiful. Having evolved tear ducts for my time on this planet, recollecting their beauty causes me to want to discharge clear liquid."

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

"Hasty but sincere reassurance - it's strictly peaceful! My race is... no, pacificism is inaccurate. We defend ourselves to the point that the threat is no longer present - whatever form that may take... hm... unforseen intended sinister overtones. Hasty apologies. Regardless, the Colony as a whole is very interested in other species, as potential allies and estimating possible threats and that is why I and many of my brood were sent out to nearby - relatively speaking of course for our technology but not nearby at all for your technology no offense re: compartiively primitive technology intended your species hasn't been doing this that long - habitable planets.

Potential contradiction - while I am of the Colony's soldier caste I can assure you that I have been highly trained in the use of diplomacy and contacting other cultures! Why it would be now unthinkable for me to extend my razor sharp mandibles and sever your head from your shoulders at the offense of adding what you term honey to your meals like some common condiment GAH wait that was me deploying humor please allow color to return to your cheek pouches."

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

"Warning to brace for extreme auditory levels inbound. THIS PLACE IS SO AMAZING! Everything... everhyone gets to be so different. My people are a... ahem... I believe termed a 'hive mind' by any stretch as we are all free to choose what path we are given available to us by virtue to the caste we are born into without recourse, but there are many subtle options. For instance, as I am in the soldier caste did I want to specalize in melee combat? Ranged combat? Vehicular assault? Siege-breaking? As long as it revolved around being in the social caste, my options were limitless in life so it's not that bad except perhaps I think now maybe it is because here on Earth one may do whatever they feel like?

"Example offered - your high and low learning institutions, elective courses are offered. Elective! Learning about something with no direct correlation to your field of study! Younger students are free to select of course of action based soley on their own whims! THAT IS INSANITY AND I CANNOT LOVE IT MORE WITH MY ENTIRE HEMOLYMPH DELIVERY ORGAN. And so much time is spent on manifestly USELESS things! Like your popular cultures! Entire careers are devoted to them! To things that do nothing and do not technically exist! HOW DOES YOUR RACE FUNCTION IT IS AMAZING!"

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

"Ah. Well. Embarrassment is not a human emotion. My... brood progenitors are... somewhat... set in the ways of the Colony. Analogy required. Their rank in the military of the Colony is... hmm... specific. Specifically Generals. While bread over countless millenia to be the unbreakable bulwark against threats to the Colony, please do not misunderstand. They are kind and loving, and want what they consider the best for me which is for me to take my place with the rest of my brood-siblings at the side of their extremely elite combat legion which I totally want to do... eventually. However... there is too much to see. Too much to do. After a preliminary report my brood-dame insisted that there was nothing left to learn. My brood-sire also agreed, because of a long discussion with my brood-dame and also pheremones possibly."

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

"...care. Care? Oh! Show concern/admiration/romantic emotional spectrum towards them! Humor was engaged. My race knows what caring means. They were the ones who taught me my initial findings were worthy of further study, that not only was humankind this - sincere flattery incoming - chaotic and anarchic mess that would frankly baffle the Colony as to how your race were able to advance to the point domesticate livestock let alone sometihng like nuclear fission but to see it in action and take part alongside it? That is... snyonmym for 'amazing' needed at overuse of word. That is... that is... searching... THAT IS RAD."

quote:

How has the injustice of society affected you, personally?

"I was... bred for my purpose. To performance advanced recon for the Colony, specifically the soldier caste and once my task is finished I will return home and serve in whatever capacity is required as dictated by my talents. There is no choice in this matter. I could not join the ruling cast or the artisan caste or the gatherer caste. I was bred to fight. My personal feelings are irrelevant. Perhaps I might decide, with experience, that I do want to serve alongside my brood in combat but the fact that the option to delcine is not available it... hurts. Now that I've seen a race that embraces choice, it hurts. I... ah, there is the clear liquid discharge from my tear ducts. Additional sadness indicator of drooping antenna detected.

Oh. Did you mean your society?"

quote:

Hero Name: Mantid
Real Name: Mostly unpronounceable with a lot of clicks and some scent identifiers. Starts with something approaching 'Z' and a few 'E' vowel sounds, so goes by Zoe. Last name of Green, for obvious reasons.
Look: Woman, human body, animalistic eyes, average clothing, your people's uniform

Abilities: Stunning beauty or pheremones, alien weaponry

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:
Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths: Chameleon plating, powerful weaponry,
Weaknesses: Bizarre fuel source (antimatter), difficult to repair

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

When our team first came together...
We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: Cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Auraboks posted:

Mantid
I did mean our society! Have you been here long enough for society's problems to affect you? Who were the first humans you met, and how did they react? Earth is obviously very different from the Colony, but do you see any similarities? Good or bad?

"My mission is peaceful. Learning more about humans I... I wish to help which is not even exactly my mission, but... you react violently kind of a lot. Have you noticed that? Even now the heads who talk on the TV think you should meet me or anything odd with violence. Why? And some think just because I'm not from here they go in entirely the opposite direction I am automatically the answer to all problems. I can promise you, the Colony has nothing to do with your pyramids or the circles in your crops and there is no, uh, how did the one person put it... 'harem of sexy bug ladies' waiting for you. I mean, maybe there is the universe is very big, but I'm not the forerunner for it, sorry. It is very depressing. Some days I am made to feel like I am supposed to be the cause of or the answer to all of some humans' problems. I admit my first impression on humans was not the best, even as my age-based peer group on this planet would say, 'awkward af' (note: Mantid does not appear to realize that is an acronym), as they encountered my cocoon where I was mutating to better adapt to your environment and you just HAVE to use your mandibles to tear your way out but some of them were deeply mistrustful even after I was able to explain myself. The local authorities, they understood after I was able to communicate, but the ones from your higher government... some of them did not. Some representatives of the military were highly distrustful. It was very depressing. They keep watch on me with their... ah, spy devices that they think I do not know about. I don't understand why they do not trust me."

"Thinking about it a little, I wonder if isn't thanks to your anarchic and Caste-less nature! The Colony are born to our roles, though we have freedom within them, but you humans are simply born. We are very similar in a lot of aspects, our familial units are very similar although a brood typically has more siblings than a human does - I have twenty-three! - and please be aware that I did not travel to your planet to seek knowledge of the emotion called 'love.' We have that in the Colony. Er, that is not to say that I do not find many examples of humanity pleasing on a seaaaah I will refrain from speaking on this now. It's as though humanity took our society and then decided to speed it up while at the same time adding no breaks. Does that work for you? I am not sure myself yet."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Webway posted:

"Excited disbelief - HOW DID YOU DO THE TIME TRAVEL? We can't do the time travel and we've been walking upright so much longer than humans! That has amazing balls! Wait, is that how you did it? With amazing balls? Truly they would be amazing for you to become unhinged in your currently casaulity location. Humanity's future is... bad, she says. That's... um... bad. Perhaps I can assist."

Exo posted:

"Oh, look at the inorganic armor she wears! It is very cute. Sincere admiration. That she has in service to a corporation and not her race is... well, confusion reigns. She seems terribly uncertain. Maybe the real power is inside her all along? By which I mean some sort of microfusion reactor housed in her chest that enables the suit to move."

Clatterclaw posted:

"Um. Clarification required. She is... deceased? As in... vital functions non-operational? And her carcass was not devoured by tiny broodlings so that the next generation will be sustained? Ha, joke, we don't do that. Any longer. No, also joke! Humor laugh! No? Oh, well. I admire Clatterclaw! She has many thoughts in her head, and speaks them all bluntly without preamble! The... group that gave her the current status of non-living? That... grim resolve... should not be allowed to continue.

Almeisan posted:

"Hesistant observation - they are... hmmm... our phrase translated would be 'using his antenna to taste the wind currents for fear of lightning storms.' He seems... uncertain of his path. Hastily added bolstering opinion - I've been through space and never seen it compacted into a humanoid before. That's fascinating!"

Chameleon posted:

"Aaaaaah, Chameleon! They are so nice! I like them! They are very human in the best of ways! I spend many, many, many hours probing her for - what? Oh. My phrasing. Dissecting her brain for what life is like for the average human! And they are secretive from their family! That sort of thing would border on the insane for a member of the Colony! The very idea is galling! I love it!"

Pandora posted:

"With the ability to channel the heart of a G-Type main-sequence star comes a lot of pressure I am sure. The Colony act responsibly with our arsenal (er, mostly) but I cannot imagine what it must be like to be a LIVING arsenal. Phenomenal cosmic power is an Earth heavy religious icon to put upon ones shoulders. Pandora seems like they would bear it better than most, if for no other reason she seems to contemplate how to do so.

iyEMPiy posted:

"They are... erm... I... perhaps it is not healthy for humans to indulge so heavily in their hobbies? Or is it? I don't know enough about your psychological makeup yet. They also seem angry. Their games are fun, though! Bolstering encouragement - they are fun to talk to and I enjoy playing games with them. See?"

Errant posted:

"Ah, yes! Errant! Delighted commentary - they have the shiny piece of metal! We are very similar, I think. We have both been born to our roles and while we may pick how we do them, we still have to do them. She is a strong, brave, well-formed example of humanity and I think she will no doubt bear her legacy well! She might even be worthy of the, how did the exclamation go to praise another on the Instant Grams, 'yaaasgokweeen!' Er, what did I mean by 'well-formed?' HAHAHAHA SUDDEN EMBARRASSMENT MOVING ON.

Reverie posted:

"Reverie is very famous! Even if I was not told this I am aware of it because her face is on many, many things. I purchased a t-shirt bearing her likeness that I wear! Hopeful supposition - however she seems to like me because you have to explain what being culturally popular is in this culture in the first place to me and I am still uncertainly precisely how it matters in any way and I like her because I like liking things on Earth!"

Silverbird posted:

"Thoughtful contemplation - I wonder if she is not sad. I cannot imagine she does not miss her sibling. I miss mine. And I get the impression while mine are farther away by actual light years her is closer and yet even more distant? I am unsure about Silverbird's stance toward legalities on Earth, as I am unsure of the legalities on Earth, but she seems trustworthy enough so I will trust her. I... think."

Kid Bastet posted:

"SOUND LEVEL WARNING EXCITED DECLARATION! AN ACTUAL EARTH DIETY! THIS IS CALLS FOR THREE CRAYS TWO WILL NOT SUFFICE! CRAY CRAY CRAY! Never did our scolar caste consider that we would meet a literal interpretation of human theology! Our own deity, the Queen-Who-Is-All, visits the religious caste through visions and the very presence of our hive cities is a sign of her guiding forelimbs, but she has not incarnated in millenia! She would only incarnate, say the texts, if something were very, very wrong... oh. Hm. I hope things are not very wrong for Kid Bastet. Hopefully I can assist! Also... her tail is adorable."

Namorine posted:

"Uncomfortable rumination - she seems very... forthright. There is undoubtedly reasons why she is so, but... I can't help thinking that maybe sometimes she would get more by asking nicely? As we say in the Colony, you get more vlar-grubs with pohl-mucus than with keek-slime. See, the grubs are attracted to the mucus and not the slime - oh, you have a similar phrase."

• Locked thread