Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage





Kobold sign doesn't escape Secca's watchful gaze as they come to another fork in their journey. She once more turns to her companions and quietly says, "So we're nearing their warren, I wager. I'd imagine the more recent branch would be less defended, but I'm open to suggestions."

She thinks a moment on her sizeable collection of songs and stories. Kobolds were hardly the stuff of legends, but surely one or more heroes had heroically smashed their way through a Kobold tunnel complex. Perhaps a lesson from that might apply to their current situation?

...but I'm guessing not, since that's a 4 on the INT check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011





"The most recent branch, huh?" It would surely have less marks of human, or rather, Kobold use then. Johann scans the two paths as best as he can under the torchlight, looking for any traces that these creatures have left on the paths and taking the one that seems to be the least used.

Rolled a 19 on perception to try and find the most safe looking route.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





"No matter which path we choose, things will only get more dangerous from here." Lucielle turns to Secca, "Once we've determined a direction, we should try approaching a bit more cautiously," she tells her half-elf companion, while making sure to keep her voice as quiet as possible, "There's no telling what sorts of nasty presents they have prepared for us ahead, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather avoid them if I can."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at May 31, 2018 around 23:57

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




"Quill..." It's clear now Jan'ti might be having second thoughts about their whole endeavor as she peers into the darkness completely uncertain of where the spiders might be in the darkness. She averts her gaze from the abyss, a growing sense of worry across her brow, and glances to the crowfolk as he fools haphazardly with a length of rope about the tree.

"<Is it that important to you? That you'll brave the web?>" Her Ornassi is certainly more fluent than her miserable handle of the common tongue, "<I'll go down there if it is but...>" She swallows hard at the thought of braving the abyss below, "<I have a bad feeling about this.>"

HP: 10/10 AC: 15 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8

Spellcasting:
Prepared Spells: Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, Entangle, Ice Knife
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Frostbite, Shape Water(Con)
Spell Slots: 1st Level (1/2)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Gaving been addressed by Jan'ti, Quill looked incredibly downcast as he considered her concerns. She was right of course, he'd have stayed far away from this hole supplies or not, if the Manuscript wasn't stuck near the bottom. And that was the sticking point that he would risk his life on right there, he looked to see if the others were nearby and leaned in close.

In Ornassi he whispered <"Father Amon, he give book and ask Quill to finish. Last thing he ever ask of Quill on deathbed. It most important, thing in world, to me.">

HP: 8/8 AC: 16 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8
Prepared Spells: 5(+2) Spell Slots - Lvl.1: 1/2
Cantrips; Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Level 1; Bless, Command, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Identify, Sanctuary

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.




While Ranka begins to strip down to the essentials, Nax looks a bit surprised, though not exactly going out of his way to stop her. "How many times will Ranka Volyn risk herself before clan or crew, before the latter is deprived of her? Nax Tirrinu wouldn't be much help adding another tasty dish following after, but if we see them close in, the sorcerer I heard proved him something of a sharkslayer, and while Nax does not rush to eat of one again, it would get us ahead on foraging."

So it is that she sets out into the water, diving below. They both can see her perfectly through the crystal blue water, and indeed her vision stretches far as well, squinting slightly as she holds her breath. Her hands pull her forward close to the bed, going deeper down into the shallows and into the reef where the coral begins to collect, some of it like knives to her skin. Much of it looks dead and deprived, without the usual vibrant colors one might expect, but down here in the cracks it is teeming with life, mainly crustaceans, but she can spot even the occasional flash of a colorful fin hiding in the cracks.

It is here that she discovers she is certainly not alone. Adapted to these very waters, she sees a shark moving through a crevice not far, spotted by its dorsal fin just up above. With a split second decision, instead of letting panick take her, the halfling's steely nerves bring her to traverse down in the same waters beneath notice, until finally she makes to the wreckage, ready to unty the knots and bring the prize.

Yet every second, every moment counts. As she works quickly, there is a slight darkening around her, and with a glance upward she sees a familiar face, though it is hardly comforting. With a broken harpoon sticking from its jaw, trailing a bit of line behind it, a larger reef shark passes over her, along with its pack, scanning the reef for any sign of life.

They haven't closed in, but she must be careful or risk falling right into their maws.


Moving stealthily out of combat is at 2/3's pace, but I'm just going to cut down on the math and say that's -5 feet, plus the usual difficult terrain penalty to make your movement an even 10ft every six seconds crawling hurriedly across the sand holding your breath. Considering there's no real cover, but appreciating your audacity, I will give you the Stealth check at disadvantage. Distance is such that you can get there, take a few actions to cut the canvas free, and return to shore. The reef sharks roll a 9 which is low enough that even with a Villain Point they have no chance of noticing you, but in order to return to shore laden with some heavy canvas I'm going to ask for a second Stealth check at disadvantage unless you have another idea of how to handle it.



Johann's perceptiveness pays off before they go too far down into either direction: His eyes spot that just above the recently excavated tunnel branching off from the path is a trap laying in wait for them. It is a simple deadfall, as it looks like some driftwood and heavy stones covered with dried mud to disguise it slightly hanging overhead, enough to give someone who triggers it a nasty, possibly fatal surprise. However, it is not clear what the trigger mechanism is at first glance, warranting a little more expertise.

One thing it does make clear however is that one of these paths is more clearly guarded than the other, though it remains unclear which holds the truer danger.


A successful Investigation check at DC 12 will reveal the mechanism as being a primitive but cunning pressure plate: A smooth flat stone over laid a plank of driftwood that is jammed into a crack in the wall and against a long gnarled branch that is set againt the deadfall ledge, such that if a creature of Medium size or larger passes over the stone, they will trigger the deadfall. A Dexterity check (thief's tools proficiency applies) at DC 12 can disarm it once identified, but otherwise.

Knowing its there, either way, gives you advantage on the Dexterity saving throw to avoid it. That is also DC 12, and failing means suffering 4d6 bludgeoning damage.




As the party attempts to discern a clear, safe way to descend, the Freewind takes the initiative by launching a bombard of fiberglass into the hole, and it explodes in pink and purple dust near the exposed hole. Within, the obscured spider is coated with the dust, but there is at first a lack of discernible effect other than agitating the beast. Vermin such as spiders do not breathe as we do, but as the toxic substance works through the skin, it has a different deletrious effect than the choking it inflicts on humanoids.

Giant Spider A is poisoned after failing a Constitution saving throw.

Intentionally or not, this action prompts a response from the spiders within. Their stridulations growing more urgent as they communicate, even coordinate with each other possessed of a malice and cunning rarely seen of their more common ilk, they begin to show themselves, a pair in number. Their striped spindly legs end in sharp barbed graspers while spines grow out of their hardened carapace, while their oversized pedipalps and glistening fangs.



Battle is joined. Initiative goes to the monsters at Ebb Tide who act first.

One emerges from its obvious hiding spot, bending its abdomen forward as its spinnerets launch a net of sticky web at the Freewind at the edge of the cave mouth. Even with its movement jerking and twitching from the choking powder that coats its front half, it manages to score an unexpected hit on the corsair, restraining him with a line of web, which its back legs begin to latch onto and pull back, as if reeling in a fisher's line into the web, receding back into the cover, though still partly visible.

What is more shocking is the alarming alacrity another emerges from deep in the hole, likely out of some other burrow, with all of the fierce intent of an ambush predator, flinging its own silk at the source of the light that agitated both of the spiders in the first place, catching the stout halfling in its own line just as the Freewind had.

With her torch-bearing arm pinned against the stone where she was hanging there, Urszula desperately tried to reach for one of her shortswords, but found herself just becoming more and mroe entangled. Yet unlike at the galleas, her expression (while alarmed) is far more lit with a nervous sort of excitement as she bubbles out, "Well, we can see them now at least. That's step one. What's step two again, friends?"


Giant Spider A, even with disadvantage, hits with its Web attack on Rust Freewind, and Giant Spider B hits Urszula with its own after emerging from its hole further down in darkness.

You are restrained by webbing. As an action, you can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage) but remember you take disadvantage on attack rolls. This is why Urszula fails at her attempt to cut herself free with a shortsword.




Battle posted:

Initiative is Ebb (Dungeon Master) then Flood (Players). Quill, Rust, Mazhar and Jan'ti, your action.

You can climb down, but it is difficult terrain, and if you enter a square with a web (basically all of it) you must succeed at a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or become hopelessly tangled in it, restraining you until the end of your next turn.

Remember that with the higher ground you have partial cover, adding +2 to your AC.

Giant Spider A, AC 16 (partial cover), HP 26/26. Web Sense. Web recharges on 5-6. Poisoned.
Giant Spider B, AC 16 (partial cover), HP 26/26. Web Sense. Web recharges on 5-6.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage





Despite the kobolds' cunning in hiding their trap, Secca's elven gaze is not fooled. She points at the pressure plate and then at the triggering branch, then says, "I think we can defuse it if we're careful. Lucielle, dear, you seem talented when it comes to such matters. Would you mind taking a look and seeing if we can all avoid a rather nasty demise?" She's fairly well convinced at this point that there's something worth finding on the other end. Whether this is to protect the supplies taken off the ship or simply some other receptacle of goods, she cannot quite imagine kobolds, trap happy as they are, simply rigging such a contraption for their own amusement.

Secca nailed the Investigate on the head with a 12.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Ranka manages a shrug at Nax's questioning "Ranka Volyn will do what we need to survive and escape, the shava put the group ahead of the individual for the most part. I'm not a Grand Mother, so the drudgery falls to me." She falls into a contemplative silence as she prepares to swim and, after another pull from her flask, she dives.

Things had been going fairly smoothly, but the sudden appearance of yesterday's foe was a daunting obstacle, but her breath was still far off from being strained, she'd managed not to tear open her palms on the reef, and cutting away the canvas hadn't caused too many ripples.

Ranka would definitely be panicking if not for the thin veneer of bravado she'd displayed in front of her compatriots. It wouldn't do to panic now and attract the attention of the sharks, so she sets to retracing her steps, moving slowly and steadily through the water in hopes that things will turn out fine.

quote:

Nat 20(27) stealth check on the first die, but disadvantage so a final result of 15 Stealth to sneak on back to shore.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.




Almost as soon as the spiders attack, Mazhar springs into action. His anchor swings down and almost threatens to crush Urszula's tiny form entirely; but one of the points catches the webbing and simply tears it right off of her. "Let us see what your aim is like, Sandydowns. Fire at will!" He swings the mighty anchor over his shoulder again, ready to strike should the spiders climb up.

Rolled 15 on attack and 6 on damage, Urszula is free.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





This quiet solemn little moment between two Ornassi is very quickly interrupted by the sudden eruption of webs, spiders and violence that sharply jolted Quill out of his sadness.

Comparing, 'imminent danger to friends' and 'ability to hurt spiders' together, he made a snap judgement and sliding out his stiletto bolted over to Rust.

Quill having seen his piratey companion be ensnared by the spidery menace is going to attempt to cut Rust free with his knife.

1d20+5 = 10, 1d4+3 = 4

Well good news is I hit the web, bad news is I rolled a 1 on the damage die so Rust isn't loose


He tried to cut as much away as possible but in his attempt to not accidentally stab Rust in the process, he was working too slowly to cut him loose entirely.

HP: 8/8 AC: 16 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8
Prepared Spells: 5(+2) Spell Slots - Lvl.1: 1/2
Cantrips; Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Level 1; Bless, Command, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Identify, Sanctuary

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 2, 2018 around 07:57

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





"Please. Dealing with a trap like this is mere child's play for someone like me," says Lucielle, with full confidence, "And besides, you already know how good I am with my hands," she adds, with a wink that might be a little suggestive. Using the tools she found washed up on the marsh, the Heathish girl gets to work on dismantling the trap the kobold's laid for them. It doesn't take her long before she handily disarms it with ease. "Annnnnnnnnd..." Click! "Done!" She turns to Secca and Johann, "The trap is no longer an issue," she flips her hair back, looking proud of her work, "Told you this wouldn't be much of a problem for me~"

Got a 20 on my Dexterity check to disarm the trap!

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




Jan'ti leaps forward without a second thought to strike the webbing that holds Rust in place. Unfortunately, spears are meant to pierce the skin not slash the flesh. The top glances off the strange, sticky mess and Jan'ti stumbles forward after it.

Jan'ti attacks the webbing holding Rust with her spear and misses.

HP: 10/10 AC: 15 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8

Spellcasting:
Prepared Spells: Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, Entangle, Ice Knife
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Frostbite, Shape Water(Con)
Spell Slots: 1st Level (1/2)

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2018 around 16:26

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011





"Indeed... The real trouble will start when the critters realize we have defused the traps, however. We must push forward before they do so." The revenant says as he carefully enters the place once Secca disarms the trap. "Kobolds aren't a seafaring race. I do wonder if we'll find anything of use to our escape with them."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.




Rust gives both Quill and Jan'Ti cross looks at their attempts to cut the webbing as he wrenches a hand free, reaches a hand down to one of his cutlasses and in one swift motion severs the sticky strands and breaks himself loose of his would-be-captors bindings. Standing up, Rust twirls his blade in hand and says "Get back, don't let them pull you into the pit."

----------
Even without Quill's assistance, rolling a 1 for my attack damage against the web would have broke it, so I'm not going to bother rolling damage.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2018 around 16:30

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.




As Ranka cuts free the canvas, pulling it close to her form and under one arm, she feels that creeping shadow over her once more, quickly finding cover under her prize as the pack circles overhead. Yet, the menace passes, as they in their meandering way seem to move further, finding no hint of prey, and looking quite lean and hungry in their way.

This makes for a clean break, and as she bursts up from the water, she finds Dermid and Nax waiting for her, and the Sintali at least holds out his arm to help her up on her feet, weighted down by the heavy canvas as she is when she finally has her chance to take a breath.


They roll a 1 on their Perception, meaning you face no problem!



After bypassing the first of the kobolds’ traps, the trio presses into their impromptu warren, finding the space becoming tighter and tighter, until finally it becomes so cramped that not only are they forced into single file, but also will force them to crawl to go much further. At the edge of their light, however, they can see the glitter of metal at the end of about a twenty foot sloped burrow, a nest of various reeds and metals and junk put together. It is difficult to discern much specifics,

There appears to be a second tunnel as well one can climb up into that runs at an upward slope over the one leading down, and a tripwire laid across the way in front of you where you might crawl inside.


The tripwire is DC 14 to defuse. Do you go up or down?



With their incipient prey broken free of their webs, the spiders hesitate for only a moment, before darting forward with all forceful speed to bear down upon the party. One strikes at Rust, and the other at Urszula, but neither is able to catch them with their forward grasping legs. The higher ground staked out by the castaways allows them to dodge back from the lip of the cave, and the spiders seem less than willing to leave their webs.

Giant Spider A succeeds on its saving throw versus poison, losing the poisoned condition. Both move to engage but the one that attempts to hit Urszula misses.

More than a little alarmed by how close she came to being cleaved in twain by the admiralty anchor wielded by the Headsman, Urszula nonetheless springs forward, unsheathing the shortsword and managing to pierce into the thorax of the spider threatening her, causing it to hiss and rear back. With the opportunity created, she slides back under its swiping arms and tumbles back, leaping across the rocks and landing opposite side from Mazhar with her torch still brandishes.

“We are doing well, for a crew without a step two,” she remarks cheerily. However, this only presages the turnabout, as seeing their prey begin to dash out of sight, the one that is still dusted with that foul powder bears down and leaps onto Rust, all but tackling him to the ground and piercing through his leather armor with its long fangs dripping with venom, shooting paralytic pain throughout his body!


Giant Spider A, using a Villain Point, manages to hit Rust for 11 (!) piercing damage. Rust must succeed on a Constitution saving throw at DC 11 or suffer an additional 9 poison damage. If the poison damage reduces Rust to 0 hit points, the target is stable but Poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is Paralyzed while Poisoned in this way. For the purposes of role-play, he will be able to talk if healed, just unable to move his limbs.



Battle posted:

Initiative is Ebb (Dungeon Master) then Flood (Players). Quill, Rust, Mazhar and Jan'ti, your action. Remember that with the higher ground you have partial cover, adding +2 to your AC.

Giant Spider A, AC 14, HP 26/26. Web Sense. Web recharges on 5-6.
Giant Spider B, AC 14, HP 20/26. Web Sense. Web recharges on 5-6.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.




Having Urszula to the side was one thing; but now Rust was being bowled over and the spiders had advanced. Fine. Time to get in the fray. Hefting the anchor, Mazhar steps towards the edge of the pit and brings it down on the spider that was already shot. But the beast ducks out of the way just in time, and the heavy metal crashes down against the rock, striking unsuccessfully.

Rolled a 10 to miss spider B.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





"...Annnnnd that's another trap down," says Lucielle, as she disarms the second kobold trap as easily as she did the first. "Hardly even broke a sweat~" She boasts to the other two. Of course, she wouldn't of been able to do it if her mentor didn't teach her how to handle traps like these in the first place, and it's good to see that all those lessons are finally paying off. "Now that's out of the way, are you two up for a little crawling? I'm a little curious on why they would lay a trap on this spot specifically."

Got a 22 on disarming the trap!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage





Secca claps Lucielle on the back, "Well done! And, as ever, I think you're quite right. I must admit these traps have raised my curiosity. I do wonder what they're trying to hide."

Per clarification from TDN on what was trapped, Secca is advocating that the group take the downward tunnel to the nest with the stuff to check it out.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2018 around 23:43

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





The small amount of relief that Quill had on seeing Rust free himself was quickly broken by him taking a dangerously mortal blow to the gut from one of the creeping spiders. Without much room to move to use his bow, and with the Knife already out Quill resorted to screeching wildly and stabbing downwards at it's eyes with the stiletto.



Frantic and undisciplined as the strikes were, it managed to gouge out some of its eyes before Quill scrambled away in fright as the Spider flailed at him, its mandibles dripping with venom and rage. It snapped at his legs but he was already away and on the other side of Rust before it could sink its teeth into him, as Quill shakily tried to nock his shortbow.

Quill attempts to move away from the Spider to get out of melee range and into his bow range provoking an attack of opportunity, the Spider rolled a 13, missing him

HP: 8/8 AC: 16 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8
Prepared Spells: 5(+2) Spell Slots - Lvl.1: 1/2
Cantrips; Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Level 1; Bless, Command, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Identify, Sanctuary

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2018 around 20:50

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Ranka claws herself up onto the beach, gasping for air as she does. It takes her a few moments to catch her breath, but she gives the end up the sailcloth in her hand a few tugs, takes Nax's proffered arm. Giving another few huffs and puffs she finally stands back to her full, if not impressive, height and grins "See! No problems, one step closer to getting out of here, laden down with a bunch of treasure and bad memories."

After re-equipping all of her belongings, Ranka takes a gander up at the sky "We probably have a little more time before we need to be back at camp for the river expedition to start up. I'd like to see whether or not there's more prospects around the bend or if we should just focus on going inland first."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.




Rust pulls back out of the spiders grasp, limbs tingling as he flexing off the venom and wheels his blade around. He spits on the spider and says "<Is that the best you've got?>" in Ornassi. He catches his second wind as his blade flashes, catching the spider off guard. The blade strikes true, cleaving through carapace and entering the flesh of the spider's thorax. Rust takes a step back waits for the spiders counter attack.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2018 around 01:33

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011





Johann gives an approving nod to Lucielle, before turning to Secca as he looks towards the tunnel's end. "Likely to be treasure taken from various shipwrecks. I saw something lurking around the camp last night and it seemed to be some sort of scavenger."

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




The sudden counter attack throws Jan'ti off guard, though it really shouldn't have come as a surprise. They've come to protect what is theirs and to expect anything else would be more than a little foolish. She lifts up her shield to ward away the creature beneath her and begins to chant in an ancient tongue. A sudden surreal cold egins to come over the spider beneath her, a mixture of sudden pain and intense numbness threatening to take hold.

Spider A has a DC13 con save to make or it takes 6 cold damage and has disadvantage on it's next attack

HP: 10/10 AC: 15 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8

Spellcasting:
Prepared Spells: Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, Entangle, Ice Knife
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Frostbite, Shape Water(Con)
Spell Slots: 1st Level (1/2)

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.




Given time to finalize their trek down to the southern shores of the island, Ranka and her two mates make it around the cape, to see what might be on the other side. They have to first make it through the mangroves. The ground becomes treacherous and there is even more wildlife than before, and it feels like it is returning to the primordial proportions that other parts of the island have demonstrate. Water skimmers the size of house cats, the flitting of midges as big as one's hand giving the whole thing a din of dull buzzing, and most alarmingly, man-sized crabs that shift here and there under the tree limbs, sometimes having been so still to have appeared as such.

It forms a natural barrier to passage, so the question is, does one go around using the coastal sea, or through?


Either would prompt a Survival or other appropriate check.



The tunnels leading down into the burrow seem to occasionally open up to the tunnel above the trio here and there, much like the skylights deeper out, but since they are opposite slope, they diverge more and more until one reaches the end of the burrow. With all three crawling on their knees and in single file, it's not a very graceful thing. Even at the end the three find themselves shoulder to shoulder, in a squat shaped hole perhaps seven feet in radius, and only tall enough to crouch in at the center. Within the castaways find all sorts of trinkets, most of them metal and pried off of other things, such as fasteners, hinges, fittings and bands. Most are rusted metal, corroded copper or tarnished brass, but you get a few shiny bits there. At the very center appears to be a little tiny hoard of coin, of all sorts of shapes and sizes, most of which show teeth marks and are bent from the middle.

There is also the tin buckets and crabs that were stolen the night before, though certainly a few crabs less. This is definitely the den of the kobolds that raided the camp, but where are the kobolds?

As if answer to that question, there's a snapping sound, like a taut piece of line being cut. There's a rumbling from above, as dust and dirt falls from the burrown out ceiling, and one can hear the moving of earth through the tunnel. Dropping down from the hulls of the upper tunnel, and now caving in and blocking them into the little burrow, are stones that were likely held at the top slope. It quickly becomes apparent the kobolds might have been here the entire time, just out of sight, or beyond the edge of torchlight! And now, they had trapped the three castaways in their warren.

What looked like nothing more than a pile of dirty rags shudders, and bursting forth from it with a nervous, yet jubilant yapping, is one of the beasts themselves! Caught up and arrogant in the moment, it all but struts as the torchlight catches its huge, reptilian eyes and reflects back, its diminutive voice matching its two foot stature...



"Tricked you! Tricked you! Now Vett is the master!"

It is so filled with glee that it only seems to realize how outnumbered it is a bit after the fact, its little paws winging together and leaping back almost reflexively, half a pair of shears like a sword in hand. There must be one or more others, to have set off the trap, so you do not think it is alone, but at least for the present moment, it's alone in here with you.

"Now you give all the good things! All that glints and glitters! Then maybe we make you build ship, and get us off island!"


What do you do?



So savage and dangerous was the blow of the first spider, the remainder of the crew spring into action as their bastard cutthroat falters for but a moment. Yet his fell blow presages the end of the chitinous cretin, as its followed up with another stab from the kenku, before the sea witch's magic takes hold and chills the vermin down to the core. Frost begins to cross over its carapace and its motions slow, restricted by it as its fangs open back up to charge in again... Yet with a loud crack and report, the spider is burst apart as it is detonated with a caviler's bullet bursting into metallic shrapnel, and pieces of frozen chitin, turning it into but sparkling dust. Urszula is just as shocked as everyone else at the result, a bit of gunpowder on her face.

"I can't see it. Did I miss?


Giant Spider A receives several attacks and then is hit with a critical hit by Urszula for massive damage.

Ultimately, the spiders are motivated not by bloodlust but by survival. Outnumbered and outgunned, the remaining spider ducks and rears back before another anchor blow swings and perhaps this time hits, scuttling cautiously at first and able to move seemingly just as fast backwards as forward, and spinning bits of web from its spinnerets to repair its web as it goes back and provide it some (futile) cover. However, it manages to reach the edge of the torchlight and disappear down into the darkness, down from whatever hole from whence it came. Waiting, biding its time.

Giant Spider B uses Disengage, moving 30ft down the web and out of sight though in a known general direction. Unless the party seeks to chase it, this will be the end of combat time as it is, though it remains alive and possibly a threat.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2018 around 04:07

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Ranka's eyes bug out some when the trio come across the teeming mass of giant life. She grasps at a loose end of the fabric she has wrapped around her chest, rubbing the silk between two fingers as she takes in the scene "Well that there is our travel rarions likely solved, we might have to come out as a group to strike a few of these big beasties down for dinner, but it could be worth it."

The trio weren't exactly pressed for time just yet, so Ranka spends a few minutes observing the crabs as they scuttle back and forth, common paths they tended to stick on becoming clearer to her. After keeping an eye out she points out a path through the weaving branches that would be a squeeze for someome walking on two legs, but would block the crabs from simply strolling up to them "We might not be in a huge rush, but I'd rather be done out here sooner rather than later. A detour down the coast might eat into the time that I need to work on the shelter."

quote:

Rolled a 22 survival to go through rather than around.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage





One might think that being outwitted by a small horde of kobolds, trapped in a pit of scavenged trinkets, and confronted with such a tiny, yapping creature might faze the half-elven courtier, but no! Seccacosantza Tolto VII is no stranger to sudden twists of fate nor rather aggressive gentleman callers. While she had no doubt that between the three of them they'd prove more than a match for the tiny creatures, a flicker of pure genius sparked to life. The kobolds had many strengths, to be sure, and were making a welcome home of the island. If the survivors were to convince them — or trick them — to lend their talents to the communal purpose of escape... yes, indeed! This has promise.

Secca feigns swooning under the stress of the sudden reveal, really playing it up for her tiny audience, though she catches Lucielle's eye with a subtle wink to back her up. She says, "Oh, alas! We have been undone by the mighty and powerful Vett!" She looks appropriately chastised, awed, and generally more compliant than the tiny kobold could have ever possibly imagined. Using a little sleight-of-hand, she produces one of her clipped doubloons, making the fraction of the coin dance and spin across her hand. "I wish I had more to give you, but-" Secca pauses dramatically, her breath catching in her throat as if too ashamed to even admit her failing, then continues in a stage whisper. "My glints and glimmers are back at our camp."

Shuffling forward on hands and knees, she still manages to tower over their would-be captor as she presses the clipping into his hand, "Oh, Master Vett, why not take us back to camp so that we can give you all that is rightfully yours? So much glitter and glint, all for you. There are many strong ones, too, strong ones who would build you the greatest boat!"

With Lucielle's coming assist, that's a solid 20 on Deception. I think Secca's main priority at the moment is moving the group out of the kobold's stomping grounds, though she is certainly willing to flatter and hand over bits and pieces of her kit to keep Vett and his ilk happy and engaged with ruling over inadvertently helping the survivors escape.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





Lucielle finds herself struggling. Struggling not to break out into giggle fits over the tiny creature that confronted her group. It's hard to be intimidated by something when the thing that's trying to intimidate you is so adorable!

Catching on with what Secca is trying to do, the exile soon follows along with her act, "Oh, yes! The greatest boat for the greatest kobold!" She says, matching Secca's dramatic tone, "After all, only someone as cunning and as clever as you would be able to outwit three lowly castaways such as us! Please, Master Vett," she bows her head down to the kobold, hand to her chest, as if she was bowing down to a lord, "Would you please grant us this mercy, and take us back to our camp? Like my companion was saying, we can give you all the glitter that you truly deserve- and more."

Assisting Secca on her roll!

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.




Seeing the spider retreat as its kin gets shattered, Mazhar lunges forward with the anchor and smashes it down with all his might! But despite his heroic strike, the spider is too quick for him, and skitters back on its web. A quick-uttered, Hyklosian curse reveal a flash of the minotaur's anger, but he composes himself well enough as he retreats the anchor and looks at his companions. "How is your strength, Freewind? Can you last a while longer?" he asks, "I understand if you need aid, but it would be a shame to leave empty-handed, no?"

Sentinel Reaction Attack with a hero point adds up to 13, still missing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.




Kicking at the now shattered pieces of frozen spider flesh scattered around his feet, Rust whistles and says "Yeah Urs, you got him. Got all of him by the looks of it." he inspects the spider bite on his torso, scratching idly at the blood seeping from the wound and says "I've had worse happen to me."

Rust turns and unslings the rope and starts to tie off a makeshift harness on one end of it, Strapping himself into it, he uncoils the rest of the rope, wrapping it around a nearby tree. Turning to the others he says "Maz, I need you to hold rope and feed me slack topside, don't let me fall into this poo poo. The rest of you I need to cover my rear end in case that spider decides to jump me. Urs, I'll need that torch here in a minute to see and also to burn out these webs."

Rust turns and looks back into the pit. "Now, lets see what you've got in there little spiders" As he inspects the hole to find his first few foot holds. He throws his backpack and supplies down before he enters
----------

The way I see this going down is that Rust is going to be setting in a couple of pitons, grabbing the torch and finding a spot in the rock wall to wedge it in so that he can continue to see, travelling down a little further setting more pitons, coming back for the torch and repeat as many times as necessary. Spider webs are getting burned out by the torch as I pass by them. If the spider shows up again to boogie I'll try to draw my cavalier and take a shot at it one handed. I'm going to guess if Mazhar is controlling the rope and keeping me from plumetting to my doom topside that would count as advantage for my athletics check to climb. When I get to the treasure, I'm going to tie it off to the other end of the rope (since it's 200 ft long holy poo poo), burn off the webbing holding it in, and Quill/Jan'ti can pull it up. If everyone is on board with this plan then I'll make the roll here and get started.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 7, 2018 around 12:55

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Quill listened to the plan of Rust Freewind, and after considering the mechanics nodded in agreement, but raised a talon. "Other crates, we get too, yes?"

Quill agrees to this plan of action, but would also like to acquire the other crates within the hole first, which should be possible. He will be readying a Shortbow attack on any spiders that go for Rust as he acquires the first two supply crates. Then when Rust will make the final descent towards the chest he will wish to wait until Rust gets to about 30ft down the hole before casting Sanctuary to cover his back a little for his escape from the hole with the loot. He will have one minute before the spell wears off to get out.

HP: 8/8 AC: 16 Hero Points: 3/3 HD: 1/1d8
Prepared Spells: 5(+2) Spell Slots - Lvl.1: 1/2
Cantrips; Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Level 1; Bless, Command, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Identify, Sanctuary

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.




Rust stammers and gives the kenku a short look "I... well a'course I'm getting the other boxes. You didn't think I was climbing into this spider nest just to get your precious back, did you? I tell you what, why don't you give me a blessing or something for what I'm about to do - or is that thing you wear just for show?" as he points to the holy symbol that the Kenku wears.

----------

*cough cough* I could use a guidance to help the success chance of my climbing too.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



OOC, that would depend on when exactly a 'roll' would take place, since Guidance is a touch range spell that only lasts a minute.

If it would help though, I'll amend to casting it on him before each of his descents. And also whilst I'm slinging spells I'd like to maintain the Thaumaturgy on making the torch brighter since it only lasts a minute by itself.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.




The minotaur nods thoughtfully as Rust explains his plan. "As you wish. Be careful with the torch, however - you may set the whole thing ablaze and we'll lose our prize down the tunnel." Putting his axe on the ground, he makes sure the knots around the tree will hold, then slings the greater mass of the rope across his shoulder, giving Rust his first few feet of slack by gently belaying the rope through his hands. "Ready when you are."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.




Secure that everyone knew their role in this escapade. Rust throws his legs over the tunnel's lip, finding his footing as he makes his way into the spider's den. Much to his benefit, the walls of the tunnel were craggy, full of good foot and hand holds in between the thick mats of webbing, making it easy to keep his footing at a reasonable pace.

----------

Athletics roll = 25 after counting the Guidance bonus, 21 otherwise. Going to climb at a steady enough pace that I can make sure the spider what got away doesn't try and webspray me and that my allies can see it if it shows up again.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Wings Out




Turning to the halfling, Dermid nodded. "Agreed, each of those crabs- assuming they are edible for people to eat- would provide us a night or two of food. Though I would expect that a few of our more," Dermid paused for effect, "noble companions might get tired of the same food day in day out. But that's a issue for later."

Following the halfling through the treacherous terrain, his eyes darted back to the shore and the crabs as he double checked the phial of seawater around his neck.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




Jan'ti keeps her mouth shut while Rust established his plan. She may not be particularly fond of the man, but he certainly hadn't abandoned the lot of them yet despite his foul attitude. Now he was braving the spider's web, surely in hopes of finding his own reward, but that didn't change the fact he'd be retrieving Quill's lockbox at great risk to himself. He was certainly and far more brave than she would have been.

Her eyes drift off Rust to darkness the spider had retreated into. She waits for now, watching to see if it showed itself again. If worst came to worst, Jan'ti is sure she can blast it apart if she has to. Probably not with such ludicrous aplomb as Urszula, which was a wonder all on it's own, but with no uncertain amount of efficiency itself.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.




Nax, taking directions from Ranka along the way, hacks through the underbrush with a heavy blade, one of the recovered sabers. “Nax does not like the look of those creatures. Cazzeride mangrove crabs are demons enough at their size. If you meet a Sintali with missing fingers, he is either a mariner, or a crabber.” It’s hard to tell if he’s being serious or not, as it’s delivered in the same half-smiling shrugging deadpan that accompanies everything he says.

The marshes slow them down, and show little sign of any salvage or shipwrecks, but they make their way around the cape to the other side of the cliffs and ranges that line the eastern coast of the island. On a downward slope down to a more rocky, rather than sandy, shore, they get their first glimpse here on the other side of the island. Jagged, treacherous cliffs stand as a barrier to the sea, and waves crash against it violently. The waters are much deeper, and it appears to be at best difficult to travel along this side, and likely dangerous if one were to attempt to travel up. No wonder, then, that the elven away parties trekked through the jungle rather than along the shore.

But that is all the practical considerations that the castaways can take from it. It isn’t what takes their breath away. That is the huge carvings in the cliff, of a truly immense scale, reliefs and statuary that have been eroded away only in part against the elements, built almost as an arrogant testament of the people here. The beings depicted do not seem entirely earthly, almost animal-like in aspect, portraying a struggling in the heavens. Many of the heads however have seemed only purposefully removed, or destroyed, but it is certain now, if it hadn’t been already, that this island has a deeper past indeed.


Do you return to the camp, or attempt to get a closer look?



The little furred creature puffs up, as the hot air both Lucielle and Secca are blowing his way inflates him like a balloon, and his little toothy maw bares its fangs in some facsimile of a grin. “Captain? Yes! Captain Vett will lead this crew off the bug island!” He raises his shear up, and considers for a few moments, and then looks up to the ceiling. “Do you hear that, Sekk? Look at me! I’m the Captain now.”

There is no answer.

This causes a little consternation, and its eyes blink for a moment as it considers. “Hm. Hm. Sekk? SEKK!!” It scrambles past the three of them to the rocks, clawing at it with its small paws. Kobolds are surprisingly strong, though only for their size, and they seem to have an almost unnatural means of moving the earth, but even brave Captain Vett seems to have trouble with the cave in.

“Sekk! First Mate Now Sekk, answer your Captain! Attend to me, my Officers!”

Finally, there is a voice. “I hear you…” It seems begrudging, a more growling voice than Vett’s high pitched yap, though that is only a slight distinction. To be honest, they sound almost exactly the same, like most kobolds.

“Finally. Escape path leading up. But the entrance on other side of hole… Sekk must have made a mistake. He left his Captain in here with the prisoners!”

There is a silence. It’s increasingly clear to everyone but Captain Vett that this wasn’t a mistake on would-be First Mate Sekk’s part. And he doesn’t seem to want to be particularly helpful right now. “They will put us back in chains and to work, as all masters do. You are fool to trust masters, Vett.”




For the first time, it begins to come together. The crew had been working together, watching each other’s back, but this venture, though it is a small thing, is the first time that they truly start working together in concert. Under the Freewind’s careful direction and Mazhar’s measured eye, guided by the prayers of the kenku priest and guarded by the magic of the Sea Bride, the crates are extracted from the webs with nearly no issue.

Both are immensely heavy. The first is nearly half a ton in weight, requiring the full number of the crew to lift it via rope and improvised pulley, thus the several minutes it takes for each. There is no sign of the spider in any case, though all are vigilant for its return. Eventually, both are placed upon the surface of the ground, and Urszula, who wasn’t much help in lifting them out, manages to pry them open with a prybar, seeming to know exactly where to apply the leverage.

(It’s not suspicious, she was a mariner after all. Honest.)

The first crate is filled with sacks, of both flour and salt. It’s two hundred pounds of each, and having had time to dry the salt is mostly salvageable. The flour is less so, most of it has been ruined by the brine, and what’s left is absolutely infested with weevils. However, there is enough to serve as food for three days for the entirety of the castaways, obviating the need for foraging for a little while. So long as you’re fine with your diet being supplemented with protein rich and thankfully normal sized beetles.

The second crate was a bit lighter, but is mostly filled with metal. It is packed with tools and clothing designed for miners, which is very likely the fate that awaited all of your in the colony of New Haints. Pickaxes, helmets, and the like. It can either be salvaged for fifty pounds of scrap metal, or equip twenty individuals as miners. In addition, there is packed fifty square yards of wool, but it is soaked and brined. It is still plenty useful as an insulator, but it is not much useful anymore as a trade good and would not be worth much at a market.

Retrieving the strongbox, on the other hand, is the true risk. The Freewind plunges, for hopefully the last time, suspended from the rope as he rappels down, hovering over it. After burning away some of the web and securing the rope to it, he spots at the end of the thaumaturgical enhanced torchlight the shape of the tunnel, as well as the emerging giant spider, its abdomen and spinnerets pointed to fire…



However, the web never comes. There is a sort of hum, and almost a quaking of the ground. A divine intervention causes the spider to hesitate, and though it is faint, it is the hand of the drowned god Jehuti itself in staying the creatures hand. Luckily for the creature, it is out of the sight lines of the others waiting above to provide fire support, and it retreats back, clicking its mandibles worriedly as it disappears into a little burrow, spinning web along its way and covering its backwards approach.

Thus the crew are able to withdraw Freewind from the depths of the spider nest, strongbox in his arms, and to an outright audible cheering from Urszula, jumping up and down excitedly as she embraces Quill, who very well might be excited himself at having the most important thing in his life extracted from the nest of such monsters.

It doesn’t take much to open the strongbox, and its contents are revealed to them. There is of course Quill’s manuscript, but also various ledgers and ships records of the Ceaseless, which while not useful in the context of the castaway’s current circumstances, would be valuable intelligence to any of the naval services of the Triumvirate. There are a few other treasures as well: A second writing kit like the one recovered from the shipwreck, a delicate glass jar with a still-living butterfly of brilliant red and blue colors fluttering around in it, and a strange steel rod with a multi-faceted glass crystal inset into a hooded end, and one of the circuit-like runes of the illithid upon where the thumb would rest when holding it.

Thus are the fruits of this expedition.


”Loot” posted:

The following has been retrieved from the spider’s nest.
  • Quill’s manuscript
  • ledger of the DNS Ceaseless
  • a writing kit
  • a butterfly in a jar (detect magic will reveal this as magical, transmutation)
  • a metal rod (detect magic will reveal this as magical, evocation)
  • weevil-infested flour, enough to feed the castaways for three days
  • 200 lbs. of salt
  • 50 sq. yd of wool
  • twenty sets of mining tools (100 lbs.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage





What a twist of fate! Secca can already imagine the rousing ballad of the mighty Captain Vett and his treacherous first mate. Of course, it does seem like the shifty First Mate Sekk is working from a position of storied oppression. Secca cannot help but feel a pang of sympathy to the tiny, furred creature. She'd hardly welcome the chains of slavers once more either. Yet, in that, were they not allies? Perhaps not a traditional pairing, to be sure, but that was the stuff stories were made of! The audiences would adore the kobold pirates, yes, and they would cheer their common cause with the rebels against the mighty Dominion!

Secca places a calming hand on the tiny shoulder of the increasingly frantic Captain Vett. She says, "If I may, Sir Sekk, it seems you misunderstand us. We are not those who would be masters. We've just escaped the chains and lashes of the Dominion! No, I say, in us you will find people who only wish to live freely and escape this island. I cannot erase that which has befallen you and yours in the past, but I swear upon my very ancestors that our merry crew shall never put a noble kobold in chains. In this, you have the word and artistic soul of one Seccacosantza Tolto VII, which is to say... me."

She gestures back at Johann and Lucielle, saying, "Before the shipwreck, we may never have crossed paths. But the very fates have conspired to pull us all together! This is no mistake, Sekk, this is an opportunity for us all to survive the challenges of this island and prosper!"

Between help from Lucielle and a hero point, that's a mighty 19 to persuade Sekk that our radical anarcho-communist crew of former slaves does not, in fact, plan on putting them in chains and that, really, we're pretty natural allies.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





quote:

“They will put us back in chains and to work, as all masters do. You are fool to trust masters, Vett.”

When Lucielle hears those words, she could almost feel her heart breaking a little. She can't even begin to imagine what kind of hardships these poor creatures have been through. Perhaps it's foolish of her to feel sympathy for these kobolds, but it's not like they've been outright malicious towards them. They're just trying to survive, just like them.

Her mentor always did say she was too soft for her own good.

"...Aye," she speaks up, her voice taking a gentler and softer tone, "It is as my friend said, Sir Sekk. We would not dare take away your freedom, or any other Kobold's, for that matter," she pauses for a brief moment, "...I know what it's like to be chained. To be forced to do things against your own will, and I know..." Her expression becomes a little more pained as she thinks back about her past, "...What it's like to be treated like a disposable tool, one that would be discarded the moment it stopped being useful," she casts her gaze upwards, at the direction of Sekk's voice, "You have my word, Sir Sekk, that we will not put any of you in chains. I swear this to you, on my mother's name."

Aiding Secca on Persuasion once again, giving her an advance on the roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Ranka gives a little shake of her head in disbelief when Dermid brings up the absurd idea of becoming bored of eating the same food over and over again. She'd certainly broadened her culinary horizons since she'd been away from the clan, but her youth had well instilled a gratitude at having food of any sort, even if it had to be repetitive, being ungrateful for your stomach being full was ridiculous.

She quirks an eyebrow when Nax brings up the potential threat in the crabs "Noted. If we do decide to tangle with these critters we should stick with ranged weaponry for as long as we can." She's ready to keep up the planning for their future hunting, when the scouting group finally clears the mangroves and emerged into sight of the cliff faces. There's a low and steady impressed whistle as Ranka glances upward toward the varied carvings "drat, if that isn't an impressive sight I don't know what could be."

She takes a few moments to really absorb the sight, but eventually turns away from it. "This is a sight I'm sure will set some minds to wondering when we get back, but it's probably not the best day to reach for too much." She shifts around the pair of weapons she's carrying and hefts her sailcloth stuffed backpack "Storm is on its way and there's plenty of work to do around camp while most of the group heads inland. On another day I might want to put off some smaller job to go exploring, but I'd rather we didn't all die of exposure tonight.

quote:

If Dermid REALLY wants to go climbing a cliff to look at weird carvings we can, but it's probably a task better put off to when he can magically just float up and set an anchor/rope we can use to make exploring it easier .

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply