Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So, I died again. Johann thought to himself as he slowly lifted himself up from the dune bank his top half was buried deep inside. A pool of blood and seawater that was expelled from his mouth caked the sand beneath him, and a crystal was impaled inside his hand, red with ichor that flew from it. Despite these grievous injuries, it's a miracle that his clothing isn't more damaged and dirty than a few pieces of algae and sand still stuck to his damp and wet shirt and pants.

After ripping off the crystal embedded inside his hand and pocketing it, he looks at the debris around him. A belaying pin, and... Her amulet. The lock of hair was still inside of it, and Johann let a wistful sigh as he kept it for safekeeping. A nearby dead thrall floated around in the wake, his leather armor a good fit for the sailor, and the mace that was once used to chastise the brig prisoners is now into the sailor's hands. That... Pirate seems to be nearby, but it's not his problem to help him. Instead, Johann focuses on looking around the destroyed remains of the Ceaseless. If it can be helped, he won't have to walk through the entire seafloor again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The silent Revenant takes half an hour to bury the thralls and dominion marines at a place safe from the high tide, taking a few planks of the burial and using them as impromptu grave markers. It's not much, but it's more than what he got, and hopefully that would prevent seven more dead men from rising with hatred in their hearts. A saber is now hanging from his left size, and he has taken a flint and a crowbar, but buried the rest of the salvaged objects at a more safe location near the gravesite, the eighth hole that he dug. He heads towards the smoke sign, waving at the rest of the party as he finds them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A dragon. Lovely. Johann flinches for a few seconds at the roar, staying still in place for a few seconds after it subsides, but without showing any sign of emotion from it. He notices the Minotaur clutching at a harpoon, readying it to attack one of the sharks once it attacks the singing girl and the drowning woman. "Perhaps you may need assistance. These creatures seldom hunt alone." He says as eldritch energy starts to form around his open right hand. "

Rolled a 21 and readying an Eldritch Bolt to help Mazhar.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

As soon as Secca does her boastful claim, a projectile of pure magical energy flies past her head, missing her by a few inches before exploding into the water.

Rolled a Natural 1 of course.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ignoring Secca for a while, Johann shrugs at Mazhar and points towards the supplies he secured a few minutes before. "I salvaged enough materials from the wreckage to make a raft. It's not optimal but enough to bring anyone here to a safe harbor, preferably outside of Dominion territory."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"I worked enough with the Minotaur." Johann gives a small handwave at Mazhar. "Although I didn't knew it was a mutiny until we already killed the octopus head. I am Johann." He says back to Urszula, his eyes glancing around the group before it splits away. A bounty hunter who he heard before, another pirate who struck him the wrong way. As awful as the Dominion was, the people that were brought together in the Ceaseless seemed to be no angels... Himself included. "Anyone knows what to do about the dragon once the raft is ready?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Locals." Johann mumbles as the gunshot echoes through the beach. He unsheathes the scimitar on his belt and calmly heads towards the direction of where the hobgoblin let out the shot, clenching his teeth as he sees the pirates' squabble. "Killing each other as soon as you wake up from disaster? You are all fools!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It seems that these people will not yield even when warned. What a shame. Johann watches as the Hobgoblin is immediately killed by Rust's true shot, and watches the other two struggle against the Vendal. What a waste, he thought to himself, to kill people he had no quarrel with. Yet again he must do it to defend himself and the people who are his only chance to leave this blasted island. Dark energy forms around his scimitar, covering it in darkness, his lips moving as the cursed power within him starts to take shape on his weapon. "D̛͎͚̙̺̦́͘͡i̸̡̨̧̛̞̠̞̜̺̺̹̙̩̹̻͚s̢͏̻̘̲͇̹̫̖͙̬̰̯̹̠̰a̧҉҉̱̥̺͎̪̘̠̝̩͔͍̜͙̘̰͟ͅp̡̡̀҉͈̖̼p͏̯͍̱̬̰͎̦͕̺͞͡é͞҉͎͓̱͓̩̟̪ͅa̺̼̹̭̟̩͙̭̯̠̰͈̟̳͈͠͠r̷̢̫̗̖̲̩̖͉̜̼̼̖̰͡ͅ" He mutters, and a dark lightning crosses the air, hitting Sunniva's head and blasting it apart in a small explosion.

Using another Eldritch Blast. Rolled 14+4+2=20 and 8 Force damage to Sunniva.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Despite not being nominally interested in whatever vile treasure has fallen in the hands of the Dominion, the mere sight of the Guilder Doubloons makes bile rise to his mouth. His eyes glow with a dark fire for a second, and his hand clenches with sheer hatred. "May the Gods be praised, for during the day of the mutiny I killed one of these bastards." the revenant mutters, a fearful expression on his face. He then glances at the bank notes nearby. He remembered seeing those before, at Hrist's office. A young, naive fool, he didn't ask why he would be accepting Dominion bonds instead of doubloons as currency, but he now he knew that these were far easier to hide from the guild. "Ahh... I'll be sure to collect that debt."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frowning at the wanton looting performed by Rust, Johann takes special care to bury the rest of the shipwrecked survivors. Perhaps the beheaded one wouldn't be likely to follow them from the grave in such a state, but it always pays to be thorough in such matters, and of course he is respectful enough to take such measures. "Are we sure there are no more stragglers around? In case I have to dig more of those." The time spent doing such a macabre task under the sun at least helped to dry his body from the seawater, although several bloody stains still dirtied his ragged clothes.

---

The drowned man spends the evening flipping one of the guilder coins on his hand, and staring intently at it, an empty expression in his face. He listens to the introductions of the rest of the survivors, and hesitantly speaks forward after pondering for a few more minutes. "My name is Johann. I used to be a Helmsman, but now... I have not a clue of what I am, but only that there's a lot of bastards I need to take care of." Deep down he felt this introduction was unnecessary. Considering what he witnessed with Dax, he expected half these people to kill each other in a treacherous manner sooner than later.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Johann has an annoyed expression as he listens to Nax continue to yammer on the third person. And whether the dwarf is or not a pirate legend makes no difference to him, these types are oft than not a hindrance rather than assistance. "I never built a raft before, but I can well sail it towards safety, bard. But I believe we would do well to find a high place to scout this island from. Perhaps there might be some sort of settlement on the other side that we have missed."

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 21, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"The fact that such abominations infest this islands is worrying. It seems we might be unable to find a civilized port here for starters after all. Still, scouting the place might have its uses, although I guess I should avoid going there alone." Johann grunts as he examines the ancient navigational tools retrieved by the group. "Although were we to build a raft, we do have all the conditions to leave this place. As long as we avoid being attacked by the Dragon at least."

Taking a share of the cash and the shipwright tools.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"A choice as good as any, missy. " Johann says with a long sigh. He follows Secca closely, sword in hand as he carefully walks near Secca. Whatever they find here will likely to find a fistful of arcane energy to its face if it doesn't come in peace, although the various potential traps in this place will make scouting a dangerous prospect indeed...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"The most recent branch, huh?" It would surely have less marks of human, or rather, Kobold use then. Johann scans the two paths as best as he can under the torchlight, looking for any traces that these creatures have left on the paths and taking the one that seems to be the least used.

Rolled a 19 on perception to try and find the most safe looking route.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Indeed... The real trouble will start when the critters realize we have defused the traps, however. We must push forward before they do so." The revenant says as he carefully enters the place once Secca disarms the trap. "Kobolds aren't a seafaring race. I do wonder if we'll find anything of use to our escape with them."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Johann gives an approving nod to Lucielle, before turning to Secca as he looks towards the tunnel's end. "Likely to be treasure taken from various shipwrecks. I saw something lurking around the camp last night and it seemed to be some sort of scavenger."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Johann crosses his arms and stares at the Kobolds, a grim gleam coming from his eyes. As enticing as the two women might look with their promises, sometimes to resolve problems you might need a more... Forceful... Approach. "It is not in my interest to kill anyone who isn't involved on the circumstances that led to my death, and I have nothing to gain from antagonizing you, but if you attempt to put chains on me or in the people that assisted me, I won't balk at flaying every single of you whelps!" With that said and done, he shoots a powerful blast of eldritch energy from his right hand at one of the stalagmites on the cave's floor near Vett, exploding it into pieces!

"Now. I believe you will do well on listening the Bard." He calmly says after making his point.

Rolled a 24 on intimidate!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

At the camp, Johann makes sure to keep a close eye at Vett, believing that the cowed Kobold might some kind of shenanigans or trickery in the future. The only reason he believed in bringing it into camp was to use it as a hostage were the Kobolds once again try to trap and lock them. He lifts a hand as the group discusses their next moves. "Inland might be a good idea, but we have no knowledge of how it is within the jungle. How many of those gigantic insects that you fought still may be lurking unknown to us? I don't believe our scouting efforts have shown us a safe enough place to make camp either."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The ship's ascent upriver is a dangerous and hard one, as the dangerous rapids on several parts of the path often threaten to drag the craft away to the shore several times. Only with Johann and Desider's furious rowing a catastrophe is averted, and the ship is able to continue navigating deeper inside the island. Still, having to rely on the old pirate is something that the revenant can't help but find distasteful. Only the relative trust that he places on his new captain manages to temper that feeling somewhat.

Doing a Vehicles+Con Roll with Desider, got a 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Minotaur has the right idea, being devoured by a dragon is the least optimal choice for Johann right now. He takes what he can from the camp and heads towards the tunnel before looking behind at the dinghies. It's likely they will be destroyed by the creature if it manages to find the camp... What a waste. "Hateful lizard... I wonder if it's following us since then or if we are just cursed by fate."

• Locked thread