Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose side of the New War of Love & Brains are you on?
IshiBame
IshIino
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I found it interesting how... middle of the road the ending felt. Not in a bad way, to be clear. It was a fine chapter, and it felt proper as a send-off.

But I'm used to a finale being a crowning glory or (more often) crashing and burning. An ending that's just finishing up and taking a bow without any massive surprises either way is pretty uncommon.

Well, it was a good ride. Looking forward to whatever cameos come up in the future in Oshi No Ko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
The ending struck me as a guy who had decided he really hated drawing weekly manga and was completely burnt out, and he got permission to end his manga without his editors locking him in a cage, and he just wanted to end things quietly and respectfully to his characters and then never do this again. I wish it had been funnier but I respect his choices, and "I got out alive" is the second-best outcome for a serialized mangaka I can imagine (#1 is a Jim Davis situation where you do about an hour of rubber-stamping and sketching a week and then play golf the rest of your life)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect the mental response might be different if 'Kaguya gets to do her dream job and gets married' wasn't revealed beforehand

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:agreed:

The two idiots restarting the war of love idiocy, just with the marriage proposal this time, would have been mildly exasperating otherwise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lowkey but sweet ending after a set of lowkey but sweet epilogues was genuinely very good imo.

Although now that i've seen someone mention it was a bit light on comedy, but I can understand the desire to have ending chapters without much emphasis on the jokes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

The ending struck me as a guy who had decided he really hated drawing weekly manga and was completely burnt out, and he got permission to end his manga without his editors locking him in a cage, and he just wanted to end things quietly and respectfully to his characters and then never do this again. I wish it had been funnier but I respect his choices, and "I got out alive" is the second-best outcome for a serialized mangaka I can imagine (#1 is a Jim Davis situation where you do about an hour of rubber-stamping and sketching a week and then play golf the rest of your life)

In a manga context, I'd call that #1 ending the Kazuki Takahashi. RIP to a hell of a hustler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toriyama also. he wrote oneshots or short serializations whenever he feels like it and that was about it. and then he wrote some movies and gave them some plot ideas for super.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Toriyama owns because he’s made a career out of drawing goku and characters that kinda look like goku.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does he still draw characters for Dragon Quest?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

Toriyama owns because he’s made a career out of drawing goku and characters that kinda look like goku.

Now he just sits around and tells people vague ideas of what Goku is doing and let’s others handle the rest

Living the dream

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

He draws them in the same way he pulls from his long catalog of character/monster designs and shuffles bits around

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yes, he draws goku, sometimes bulma

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm happy with how things ended. The proposal plans gave me one last hearty laugh and Kaguya's last victory over Shirogane was a sweet note to end on.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Namtab posted:

Yes, he draws goku, sometimes bulma

That's unfair, sometimes he draws trunks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that's the end of the 4koma. I'll miss these idiots too.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere or for how ignorant I sound, but I know very little about the general publication cycle for manga. About how long should I expect to wait before a complete box set of the Kaguya manga comes out in English? I really love this manga and want to own all the volumes.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Pungry posted:

I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere or for how ignorant I sound, but I know very little about the general publication cycle for manga. About how long should I expect to wait before a complete box set of the Kaguya manga comes out in English? I really love this manga and want to own all the volumes.

There is no guarantee that it gets a box set at all. VIZ, the manga's english publisher, generally only puts out box sets for the biggest of big series. Think your One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and more recently My Hero and Demon Slayer.

It's not impossible and Kaguya would make a good box set, but it would be quite a while if it gets announced. The english release is currently at Volume 24 (with 25 in December-ish). It will probably complete its release ~late 2023 at Volume 28. Only after all the singles are released would think they think about getting a boxset, and like maybe a year or so later. So, if Kaguya gets a boxset, I wouldn't expect to see an announcement until sometime 2024 or 2025.

For reference, VIZ's most recent box set release was for My Hero Academia back in October 2022, and contains Volumes 1 to 20. Volume 20 was released way back in 2019.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
drat, I guess my best bet for getting every volume as a physical copy will be just buying them individually. Don't think I can hold out for a year or two hoping they'd make a box set if there's no word given beforehand that they'll make one. Thanks!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Kaguya-Wants-To-Be-Confessed-To/271-1/1/

Vol. 27 extras.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I obviously loved the art and characters here but I'd gladly read a philosophy book written by Akasaka too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't suppose anyone is in Japan right now and can say how the movie did adapting the Christmas arc while everyone waits to see if and how we'll get access to it.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Apparently the author of Kaguya, Aka Akasaka, is writing (but not illustrating) a new Manga, Renai Daikou.

The first chapter is scanlated on Mangadex.
https://mangadex.org/title/ea3fc681-51fd-44d9-a83d-297c4c28e11b/renai-daikou

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Crasical posted:

Apparently the author of Kaguya, Aka Akasaka, is writing (but not illustrating) a new Manga, Renai Daikou.

The first chapter is scanlated on Mangadex.
https://mangadex.org/title/ea3fc681-51fd-44d9-a83d-297c4c28e11b/renai-daikou

If Aka is writing then it should be solid. Very similar set up and premise to Kaguya, but already curious to see where it goes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looks neat. I couldn't get into Oshi no Ko, too depressing, but this should be more my speed.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cross-posting from the Oshi no Ko thread, but here's my impression on Renai Daikou:

amigolupus posted:

I was side-eyeing the pages where Kon talked about how Mari's not popular with guys because she dresses up and how men are timid creatures who need a girl to be vulnerable. Then I went :chloe: when Kon forced Mari to dress up as a generic romcom anime heroine, but I powered through the chapter anyway.

When I got to the twist at the end that the guy she's crushing on is also being forced by the Love Agency to dress and act like a generic milquetoast romcom guy, Aka's got me interested. The fact that the two people in Love Agency look like nerdy goons makes me hopeful that this series is going to be a scathing criticism of how anime and manga have completely hosed up nerds' ideas about romance and what makes a person attractive.

I know it's a romcom so Aka may not get too critical and just play up the comedy aspect more, but it'd still be nice if it acknowledges that forcing a girl to become meek and demure so guys would find her easier to approach is messed up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can't imagine that's not where it's going. Kaguya had that whole arc about how people need to show their true selves to each other, and this is literally starting off with our heroes letting two weird goons puppeteer them around. It's absolutely a setup for that kind of story. Besides, look at how Kaguya started, with the narrator proclaiming that "love is a war, and whoever admits their feelings first loses". That's not what Aka believes, that's what our dumbass protagonists believed. Depiction is not endorsement, friends.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the first chapter felt kinda average up until the twists of the guy also using the same stupid app for dating advice, and also that the avatars for that dumb app are literally puppets being manipulated by a freaking weirdo in fox cosplay and Literally Just A Guy and not just AI programs like I thought.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Kaguya was a scathing criticism of a lot of things, so it's bizarre to say that it won't go into anything just because it's a comedy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hah, my bad. It's been a while since I read Kaguya and forgot that it could get just as critical when it needs to.

Rereading the chapter, and there's something funny about the part where Mari and Seki discuss their favorite book and knowing that the goons behind them must've been Googling "most popular books amongst teen" at the same time. Just going with the first result on the page and probably sounding like you're basic as gently caress. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwf2_O802Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

wow that's astonishingly good, and kind of makes me want a crossover between the two....