Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Miftan posted:

I can't believe I'm finding ration packs meals appealing. They've really upped their game on those.

I have always wanted to try the french ones and so far I'm really quite impressed apart from the futile little folding spoon they give out, it's loving terrible.

They taste far better out in the wild too

Put the office into work mode

Here's the project

I'm attaching these bits of wood for strength

Approximately 60 holes drilled and screwed

So it's time for coffee, a non ration pack one for now, will use the french one/french hot choc powder to make a mocha later on.

More soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DesperateDan posted:

I have always wanted to try the french ones and so far I'm really quite impressed apart from the futile little folding spoon they give out, it's loving terrible.

They taste far better out in the wild too

The ones I had to eat were 90% bread and salami/cheese/hotsauce, sweetcorn and halva. They definitely taste better outdoors though.

Project looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Miftan posted:

The ones I had to eat were 90% bread and salami/cheese/hotsauce, sweetcorn and halva. They definitely taste better outdoors though.

Project looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Some bread and salami would actually go down a treat right now

It's been really nice here

I reinforced each end of the legs and added more structural supports

You think it might flip over okay?

Hell yeah it does

With the big seat cushions from the caravan and a tarp strung up, we got ourselves a cosy little rest area

Which is good, because the light just went behind the treeline and that means it's low light for a bit then very loving dark indeed

I'm having a lay down in my new bed/bench/platform and considering my options for food-

More soon!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

DesperateDan posted:

Absent of instructions, I went and did the rounds

I feel like we need more details to provide instructions. Is this a solo adventure? Please provide pictures of your sleeping arrangements when complete. What equipment do you have for night-time wildlife spotting? Are critters still eating your plants?

What I'm saying is you need to do a stakeout

E: whoops there was a new page

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

I feel like we need more details to provide instructions. Is this a solo adventure? Please provide pictures of your sleeping arrangements when complete. What equipment do you have for night-time wildlife spotting? Are critters still eating your plants?

What I'm saying is you need to do a stakeout

E: whoops there was a new page

You are indeed right, and in the pursuit of perfection I will simply have to repeat this exercise at some point soon, with pre planned potential tasks and prenotification of activities and not spending 4 hours at the start building a thing

-Right now I have my favourite binoculars and an SD card/batteries for the trailcam- hoping to do some astronomy, already seen a few deer and a grass snake

-poo poo has been eaten/broken a bit etc but daytime tomorrow will be better for such investigation

- sleeping arrangements are I'm putting on more clothes and will probably just lay on the cushions, I have blankets and sleeping bags etc in the caravan if it gets too cold

-I'm flying solo

While I waited for the main to cook, I ate some slightly stale tasting cereal biscuits. I think they are meant to taste like this. Meh.

Soup and mint tea. What soup? oh it's probably veg don't even look just make it fish soup and it's alright if you like stinky fish I guess and I don't. Tea is fine

11/10, sausage and duck cassoulet, new champion, holy loving poo poo this was good, I meant to get pics of the during but I wolfed down the loving lot and licked the tray

More soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Observed-

Bats hunting, foxes playing and I think a badger

Also, lots of stars

Laying in bed and might get a few hours then more stars or sleep though

More soon

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Yeah the night sky must be great out there. Jealous. I used to be really into astronomy but moving to London really put a crimp in that

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

Yeah the night sky must be great out there. Jealous. I used to be really into astronomy but moving to London really put a crimp in that

Way back when, in the long long ago, before the tories came back, I was halfway through a degree in astronomy and planetary science, it was totally rad but then tories came

from dusk till dawn

As it always does here, it got dark quick.

I had left my phone on the mini tripod while I went back to camp for something and as a result I didn't get pictures of the best ISS pass I have seen in ages- very bright and chunky- but it was a treat regardless, as was finding out this phone does some pretty impressive star shots.

Slept quite well despite all the animal noise but wish I had enclosed the sleeping area a bit more, as the wind picked up later on and I got a bit chilly at times- never enough to actually make me get up and walk a few metres to get some more insulation but enough to annoy a bit.

Got up around half 4 because it was light and I was chilly again, had some hot drinks and a wander round then climbed back into bed when it was a bit warmer and got another hour or two, interrupted by foxes running past

About to cook and coffee and tidy the area and decide how to spend my morning

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

finale

Another lovely day

The pasta is from a MoD pack and scored 8/10, quite nice indeed, especially with a pinch of salt and pepper

The jam on crackers was mediocre at best

Caravan dead car battery now very dead, so swapped it out with a new dead battery till I can roll some appropriate ones in

Cleaned and leaned the solar panels

Electrical systems back to strength for now

The breath mints tasted rancid bit waste not want not

The deer pate and salt crackers took my mind right off it though, 10/10 sorry bambi

All packed up and headed home now, wanted to do more but it wouldn't be sensible on ~4 hours sleep so I have been sat just appreciating, chilling and feeling very lucky. More soon!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

This sub-24hr outing has been a balm to my soul, Dan. Thanks for sharing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Great updates from the camping trip! It must be so amazing to have a space like that.

The videos you posted awhile back were great too. I had no idea Britain had so much wildlife.

My biggest question is, what’s the status of the road to your property? Are you still carrying everything in? Can you rent a machine and clear the path you made for the caravan to have better access?

Then you could use that same machine and the new road to really dig that pond out.

«15 »