Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Fresh pears are the best, I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Once cats actually start to show they're ill there's often not much to be done, alas. They are very good at trucking on through moderate discomfort and injury. I'm sorry about your cat, he looks like a chill dude who is well loved

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
sickbay review

So first up, staffing news: Meowmaster Hicks has now been home a week, and is doing well. Took him back to the vets for some tests today, and against the odds his kidney numbers are improving quite well- trying not to get too hopeful but as one of the possibilities last week was "he might just slip away in the next few days", seeing him jump around the garden as normal a few days later is wonderful beyond words :unsmith:

No real update yet as I haven't been down there, but in my mini garden at home the first batch of spuds are done- cleared 2 kilos of eaters and plenty of seed spuds from a medium planter, the total cost was a potato I forgot about in a cupboard that sprouted and about £1 in soil/fertilizers- very low effort. Throwing in another lot as I have just about enough time in the year.

I have 4 nice sized tomato plants fruiting up too- hoping to cook some sauces using them to store as well as just scoffing them all this year. Fuckin' love some fresh/fried tomatoes I do.

Left the olives too long and they are fruiting- might get a jars worth this year before taking them to the field to plant.

Planning on a watering run tomorrow AM and will update when I can. Summer holidays for the kids now so should be there often but getting a bit less done- certainly for the heatwave I'm looking at, work is mainly going to be hauling water and trying not to fry/die.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Happy the catte is doing well!
Stay safe out there, I'm in Hampshire working in the countryside and the heat is brutal at the moment. We've just been told that there's a level 3 heatwave this week.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Catzilla posted:

Happy the catte is doing well!
Stay safe out there, I'm in Hampshire working in the countryside and the heat is brutal at the moment. We've just been told that there's a level 3 heatwave this week.

Yeah man, they issued it already

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

in the cool of the morning

What up chooks

That'l do girls, stay awesome

Neighbourhood watch, they see me rolling. Slipped em the normal gratuity. Costs of business, y'know.

So I mainly just came down to do this kinda thing and then bail out, but I got down there around 8 and it was still nice and cool but nice and bright so I chilled out awhile enjoying the peace and took a bunch of pictures of nice things.

Watering was uneventful other than my dripper bottles collapsing- rethinking things now for a better solution, probably a device to hold the bottle upright and shade it from light rather than the twine solution.

The cleared area is now mainly grass, and still despite the heatwave/drought it's staying quite green- bodes well for growing lots of food down here, especially once water collection/irrigation gets sorted better.

The bees were all over the brambles today- bumbles seem to show in numbers earlier in the day than the honeybees and it was good to see a bunch of them doing the rounds.

I wish I could share the taste of these because they are loving amazing- still not many at all fully ripe, but when you have this much bramble around a handful or two of ripe ones come easy. Over the next week or two I will get the employees on the case and stock up a few keys- I still have some frozen from last year.

Gratuitous blackthorn/sloe pics. I love the patterning the sloes get and I love what steeping them in gin or vodka for 6 months+ does. Also handy in jams etc, a little too tart for eating many.

Don't eat these though- or the fully ripe black/purple ones. Laurel. Probably won't kill you, but the gut ache and shits will make you wish it would.

Butterflies out in force again.

The pond. "Pond". Its more like a kind of bed of damp compost with reeds growing through it surrounded by cracked earth but it's intent that counts here- I want a proper pond that stays wet. So let's go on a field trip to the neighbors-

That's definitely wet that is. Will be interesting to get a winter water level comparison shot, but theres lots in there. If I want mine to be awesome it needs to go a good bit deeper and a touch wider- and I need to cut down on the amount of leaves falling in it.

And the best way to do that is dig a bigger, better pond, but I still need to fix up what I have.

Went and stood with the bees awhile on the way out- a few more trust building visits and I should be good for some ace pictures of them chilling out by the entrance to the hive- it's just a bit too overgrown and I don't wanna get stung up.

The pond. It calls to me. Weather dependent I'm gonna try and get out earlier in the day to try and clear out some of the pond. And I will take pictures. And then I will post them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Awesome as always, love what you're doing and the pictures.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

... was the gratuity two eggs and an ear skritch?

I hope you lot get some rain, soon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

xcheopis posted:

I hope you lot get some rain, soon.

Maybe some small ones this weekend.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

Meaty treat stick things. Those eggs were mine and they were loving amazing.

And I wish I could get close enough to fuss- one day. Got some sardines down there with purpose :)

bubble gum soil

The keen observer will note this picture was taken long after sun up as I was actually leaving, but let's instead pretend I was functional when I first got down here, late, because even in the heat I slept really well and it was hard to drag myself up and out, and the employees had demands like making me empty out the loose change in the car for hash browns.

So this is the pond from last time cause I forgot the before picture. Es no bueno, amigos- time to get cracking.

I set the employees to task digging but they quickly bent up a cheap small shovel because-

The consistency of the ground in the pond is about a cm or so of soil/mulch then wet thick clay, strewn with roots. It's loving horrid to dig up, but I don't have choices here other than start swinging my hips and following through.

Kids did a good job of pulling existing reeds and chopping trees and also caretaking various frogs/toads they discovered. Oh and some clay figurines when they weren't off tree climbing for more of a breeze.

Parts of the clay that had cracks tended to have a good bit of salt buildup deep down- nothing worrying, just need to be careful where the soil goes- fruit and veg plants won't like it.

So at the moment it's being used to level up the outside rim of the pond, because I don't want to haul it far. Its salty and too hot but I want to see if any seed holds so it got a quarter key of hardy grass seed.

In all I'm a little disappointed with how far I got today- but the clay was far worse than I feared and I got a later start than I wanted- by about 1030 it felt like I was working in a sauna hence time to quit for the day- gently caress risking heatstroke.

Had several dragonflies around but despite about 2 dozen shots the best I could manage was this. Pretty things, amazing fliers.

Got my arse and legs bit up a bit when I sat on a red wood ant nest, so resorted to very targeted nerve warfare- it's right on a bit I want to be able to sit on next to the pond, otherwise I wouldn't care- ants are cool.

Didn't have much time on the rounds for nice pics, the newer and more sun exposed currants are taking a pounding in the heat and I forgot water supplies but they should be just fine even if they lose all leaves now.

So an attempt was made, and lessons learned for next time, which is looking like another shot at things in the morning- weather dependent- have had multiple storm warnings and each time I have been left with just more pressure and humidity. I want a storm badly but I also want more of a pond. For that, I must suffer.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 26, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Your kids are really great sports. I would've told my dad to gently caress off with that hard labour poo poo. Again, I applaud you for going out in this weather. 33 in London today.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Miftan posted:

Your kids are really great sports. I would've told my dad to gently caress off with that hard labour poo poo. Again, I applaud you for going out in this weather. 33 in London today.

Thanks, they are great kids but they do get paid a fair wage- and if they get bored with the work and don't fancy a different job there's loads of other bits to occupy them down there.

The heat really is killer- by the time I was packing away the effort of just tucking tools away had sweat running down me and this was in the shade.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It passed 31C in my house and I work from home.

That’s not vast amounts to many Americans but we ain’t kitted our for this poo poo.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

If it makes you feel better, I start whining and snivelling when temps here get above 70F (21C) and I'm in California. It's been high 70s in the area for weeks and I hate it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

xcheopis posted:

If it makes you feel better, I start whining and snivelling when temps here get above 70F (21C) and I'm in California. It's been high 70s in the area for weeks and I hate it.

Also in California, and I start whining when things are any less than 70F. This week has been great!

Loving the pics, OP, glad you found a solution to the long load times that still lets you post a ton. House and land improvement threads are totally my jam. Possibly because I live in a tiny studio apartment in a busy part of downtown and have no hope of ever owning my own place.

Not like I could ever give up the avocado toast anyway.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rain! And not just a shower or two, some pretty heavy rain, so I haven't gone to dig again yet- it should dry out enough soon, as things are due to go back to another heatwave, but a day or two of rain right now is just perfect.

I have worked through heat before, but that was pre-acres when I was younger and stupider, and once or twice I paid hard with heatstroke and learnt my lessons- 33C is too much for anything other than the lightest of duties in shade and there aren't many jobs that fit that right now. Provided I get a few good morning digs in, I should have enough time over the summer to clear the pond nicely without having to suffer too much for it.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 28, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Hopefully it'll bring some life to the parched soil - it certainly dropped the temperature to actual tolerable levels.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the band "the cult" had a good song about it

Rolling three deep today, just mainly for a look round and fruitpick.

Second up, entirely out of the swing of things, just look at my chippos. Did them out of the potatoes I grew, and they were amazing. One day I want to have chips from my homegrown spuds, cooked in oil I squished from my own olives, with salt and pepper I sourced myself. Self sufficient in chips. One can dream... one can dream.

So the rain actually made me a bit of a pond again, mainly out of the bit I just dug up. Nice to see, but will be interesting to see how quick it dries out again.

The earth bank/rim gotta love a rimjob that I spread some seed on has taken nicely- the rain helped that and didn't make the soil slip any. It will need smoothing etc but that can come later.

Despite all the rain, a lot of the cracking just looks bigger from being washed- it needs a significant amount to properly soak out the topsoil enough to squelch back in.

The weather is much cooler and fresher-

Everything is drinking deeply- the rain really was needed. Everything feels very... alive. Lots of bugs everywhere.

Ah, the main bulk crop. For the majority of time I curse the bramble for being invasive and covered in sharp and prone to tripping me up, but right now it's my bestest loving buddy, because there is more than me and the troops could ever pick.

Large sections of the acres are covered, 7 feet deep in thick bramble, which is producing early this year- though in some areas it's still mainly flowers and greenfruit- not sure whether it's variety in genetics or slight location stuff.

The kids and me picked for about an hour or so, they also saw to chopping back some poplar trees/branches. Haven't got pictures of the harvest but will get some while I process- bagged the blackberries we picked weighed in at about 1.8 kilos- and there was still plenty of easily accessible fruit to hand.

The colour of the sloes are really starting to pop- traditionally these aren't harvested till first frost, but I will monitor them and harvest early if I notice the birds start to go for them- they know what's what.

This acorn is all hosed up because a parasitic wasp laid eggs and hormones inside it to make a swish little house. There's a jar with a few old gauls (thats the hosed up green acorn not the peeps from asterix) drying in the caravan because the missus wants to try a thing where you make ink from them.

I leave you with my far better faring cherry tree- it's put on inches of height in a few weeks.

Might be back again tomorrow for some more picking and chopping- kids seem eager and weather should be similar to todays pleasantries- a good time to stock up on fruit, because I want a fuckload of jam this year :)

Beyond that I'm thinking my new brick bbq needs to go up soon, because today I had a wondrous vision friends, of me eating a big ol' tasty burg and drinking a cold one sat looking at the sun go behind the trees...

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 31, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Looking nice! Hope it's not such a long wait till the next rain. What are you doing with the berries? Apples are early this year too and blackberry and apple crumble is one of my fave things ever.

(The galls/gall wasps are spelt as in gall bladder, so you don't have to confuse them with dark age Europeans unless you really want to.)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

Looking nice! Hope it's not such a long wait till the next rain. What are you doing with the berries? Apples are early this year too and blackberry and apple crumble is one of my fave things ever.

(The galls/gall wasps are spelt as in gall bladder, so you don't have to confuse them with dark age Europeans unless you really want to.)

Process with the berries at the moment is soak em to get rid of the bugs and then freeze them- I spread them out on some oven trays to do the initial freeze- otherwise they all mush together in a brick.

By weight the majority will go to jam, then I'm going to do a few bottles worth of blackberry vodka/gin- would be a lot more if I had the spare cash for cheap gin/vod. I'm a big fan of crumbles too, so probably one or two of them.

In the next few days I'm hoping to hit my crab apple spots a bit- I lack one currently- when making jams they are superb sources of natural pectin to help it set- blackberries have some naturally but for the other fruit jams (got a bit of a variety of fruit frozen up ready) will need some help. Also it's an easy way to bulk up the total volume- provided the crabby harvest hasn't been hosed over by the heat. Need my own trees really.

The acorn things I'm probably gonna stick with my version though the prospect of sticking a picture of general de gaulle on a jar because thats where de' galls go isn't beyond my levels of bad dad humour

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Came for smallholding tips, stayed for the... everything. I absolutely love it.

Did you explain how exactly this came to be your job, or are you eventually expecting to take the are over in the future? You're doing such amazing work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

sources of natural pectin to help it set- blackberries have some naturally but for the other fruit jams (got a bit of a variety of fruit frozen up ready) will need some help

Pears too, I hear, if there's any trees about.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Came for smallholding tips, stayed for the... everything. I absolutely love it.

Did you explain how exactly this came to be your job, or are you eventually expecting to take the are over in the future? You're doing such amazing work.

Thanks a lot :)

Largely I kind of appointed myself by getting in there and doing it- I did camping stuff there quite soon after meeting my wife, then when I got into shooting again and started archery I needed space to do so. It continued really low level for years till the era of the caravan started- I initially cleared the path for it by hand tools, then a rented an entirely hosed honda 4 stroke strimmer, before giving up and getting a good one of my own.

Being able to source some fruit more easily and having the ability to clear areas quickly made me want more variety and spread over the seasons a bit more, so more went in.

I'm not sure if I said in the original history I posted, but it was about this point where my liver and kidneys take serious offense to an antibiotic I have had a dozen times, and I near died. Pay attention to side affects kids. Put a real dent on the back end of '16 and a lot of '17 was spent recovering.

Then '18 comes around and I'm a bit more experienced and not tired out after a thousand paces and poo poo starts to come together more- I start posting bits on the UKMT- if I get ny escapism there I felt only right to share it, it was well received so I moved stuff here.

My wife's family are highly supportive of it (land is legally governed long term by my wife and her two sisters)- family on that side visit and fruit pick and camp and enjoy it.

If I had the perfect ratio between more cash and less responsibilities I would move down there fast (with enough budget, it would be tomorrow- I have detailed plans)- for now I just try and enjoy the commute and appreciate that it's a fuckin awesome goal to have, and I'm lucky as gently caress to be able to chase it up.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pears too, I hear, if there's any trees about.

Y'know I hadn't even bloody thought of using anything else- from a look around it seems pears can be a great one as can gooseberries and a few others- thanks :)

Still want a crab apple tree or three though, I have some seeds aside from nice tasting regular apples, and I have some pits from awesome cherries so I'm gonna experiment with getting some of these sprouted- the apple seeds will almost entirely turn crab apple, on the off chance they don't- fuckin bonus. Cherries grow true to type most times.

And I have plans to buy saplings of each next spring because gently caress it, I want more....

Haven't gotten down today but tomorrow Hicks is in at the vet for a few hours of tests so I will at least do the rounds while waiting, see how the pond is doing. He's been doing really well from what we can see, but as a poster notes, they sadly dont seem to show it until it's really affecting them so detailed tests could show something entirely out of odds with how he acts- but as I write this he's chasing butterflies in the garden after dusting himself off in the dirtbath, and I'm about to serve him some tuna as a treat :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

didnt even open up the caravan today

So I dropped the meowmaster off with the vets today and headed down to the acres to do the rounds quickly and so I took pictures of a few things and nearly fell in a big bush trying to take a picture of a savage looking wasp. Truly- the days of our lives.

So here's the pond today, water levels down a bit.

Oooh dat grass baby

It's really shooting up in a few bits which is ace as that's what it got bloody planted 'fer :colbert:

That was that, and these are berries for jam being processed- these got a bit squished, so when soaked they go off-colour a bit- taste just fine but I am just cherrypicking off the great ones and stuffing them in my damm mouf for desserts etc

I rack em up, freeze em for a few hours till the outsides are fully froze and then bag em- then I don't end up with a solid brick of berry.

Jam process is actually down largely to my wife but I'm hoping to be in fully on at least one batch. She will prod me fiercely if I don't mention that technically the bulk of the product is actually jelly as it has the seeds removed but she's not to be blamed, she can't even pronounce scone right.

Hicks's results are mixed/cautiously good, more tests need to be done for a medication change but he's very happy to be home, acting very much himself and has already at least two fifths forgiven me for stuffing him in a catbox earlier (the slices of ham may have helped).

Back tomorrow for an hour or two, maybe with a worker or two.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sooo... No pic of that wasp then?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yay, good news about the catte!

I've been informed that scone is pronounced skon and people who rhyme it with stone are wrong and awful. Confirm/deny?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Miftan posted:

I've been informed that scone is pronounced skon and people who rhyme it with stone are wrong and awful. Confirm/deny?

Depends where in the country you're from.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The real question is do you put Jan or clotted cream on it first?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Inspector 34 posted:

Sooo... No pic of that wasp then?

I tried but after I failed the first time I decided to leave well alone- me and wasps have an excellent track record and I don't want a diplomatic incident

Miftan posted:

Yay, good news about the catte!

Confirm, but-

Jaded Burnout posted:

Depends where in the country you're from.

The people in the bad parts of the nation who say it wrong are a contrary sort who say those who have the proper and just ways are wrong- and they denigrate and smear the brave lands that produced such fine folk.

Wolfsbane posted:

The real question is do you put Jan or clotted cream on it first?

Jam on the top half, clotted on the bottom- I'm famously open on such matters though

shiny shovels

Even less time than thought, so we just did the rounds and chilled for half an hour or so.

The new shovels are gonna be great- really sturdy feeling, and they cut nicely. For the kids, and when I'm already on my knees working things these will be great.

The highlight of the day was the bees amongst the thistles- now the bramble flowers are turning to fruit, the thistles have obviously had good conditions and are widespread- especially in trimmed grass areas. So many happy bees :unsmith:

While foraging for a wholesome second breakfast, circumstances behoove us to a fine inspection of what might be consumed

Because there's at least a dozen types of bug I regularly find on these, and I prefer my protein a bit less chitinous.

And like normal for this time of year everything else is all kinda nice looking.

Next up will depend largely on how fast the pond dries up some more- I'm either gonna dig it out some more, or clear the area for the bbq/lay foundation. Lizard hotel needs to wait for some more pond to be dug- I intend on building it on a fine tiny hillock overlooking the pond, high enough to guarantee flood safety.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

The people in the bad parts of the nation who say it wrong are a contrary sort who say those who have the proper and just ways are wrong- and they denigrate and smear the brave lands that produced such fine folk.

I'm from one of the blue areas in the middle, so I do say scone like cone, but I've lived all over the place and as such I keep an open mind about such things.

Probably aided by the fact that I'm a software developer and so most of what I do has to be written in American English.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pretty sure this graph belongs in the terrible charts/graphs thread. Neither end of the spectrum seems to agree with itself.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jam then cream is the right way. It’s all about structural integrity

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TheMightyHandful posted:

:yeah:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

TheMightyHandful posted:

As I said (and most of the people I have drunk with) I'm easy :)

Might experiment the next time I get my scone on for some data

raspberries and rasps

Ain't goin' anywhere today 'cause gently caress it. Mental health day. Other than to go on the deck and fuss Hicks lots and check on my veg. He's being his awesome self other than a thing where he won't eat much at all unless one of us is guarding him- he's had it before when stressed- so now twice a day I chill with him while he eats :)

My breakfast was this handful of tomatoes fried up with some nice eggs- plant to pan in 2 mins. The taste is absolutely incredible- orders of magnitude more flavours than even the best shop bought ones and the 4 plants I have growing seem to have hundreds of developing fruits/flowers. I do wish I had more variety- they are all smaller, sweeter ones, but when they taste this good I can't complain.

A personal fav of my wife, this raspberry bush should provide a handful or two at least this year, then it can join its cousin at the field. They tend to run quite drought and temperature tolerant too, so I'm hoping for a few more varieties then to clone them about the place.

I forgot pictures but my strawberry plants have plenty of runners, which I had the kids stick into some pots- should be plenty to start my patch at the field with next spring.

And wormy friends like this can go too! Found this little stalwart worker and a few others while recycling some soil, now it's helping my herbs grow.

I did try doing some more on the shovel after that but only managed just a half hour more- the heat is just too much which is a shame as the activity itself sends me into a real meditative mode.

A bit later today I'm gonna resume work on the shovel head- I still need to remove the old pin before I can fit the handle any deeper and it probably will involve a drill, a punch, a hammer and a whole lot of bad language.

Field again when I can, but next week I'm a bit busy- I'm hoping for an early start on wednesday for either pond digging or bbq work.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 5, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Ain't goin' anywhere today 'cause gently caress it. Mental health day.

:hfive:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Honey and clotted cream is also an acceptable substitute.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Hicks is a drat handsome cat, I love this photo.

Re scones: Blame americans entirely for this one, but creme fraiche does work fairly well as an inferior lighter cream substitute. I learned this in a small cafe in brooklyn. (But you're not taking clotted cream away from me!)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

:hmmyes: it was a good day, I did a laundry and read a book :)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Honey and clotted cream is also an acceptable substitute.

Now I'm also gonna have to test out because I'm an avid honey fan :)

Brovine posted:

Hicks is a drat handsome cat, I love this photo.

Then I'm sure you may enjoy this-

pointlessly small, barely related to the acres filler episode!
by winter I will be resorting to clip shows from past episodes

So the vets happened and as normal he hated me for being so cruel as to stick him in a box and have things stuck inside him so as to try and get him as well as can be.

So the obvious answer was bribery by pizza party and the adorable little bastard didnt want to share whatsoever, but when finally pried off the warm cosy tasty box he happily accepted some cheesy pepperoni and bacon bits and all was well again :)

Through the wonders of modern technology I'm posting this from my back garden where I should be picking these elderberries but I'm fairly tempted to chop the whole drat tree down first, which is an excellent opportunity to gently caress it off for another few days with the excuse of waiting to bring back my nice big bow saw. Cuttings will be taken for eventual planting at the field, I have heard elder is a remarkably easy to do one and both the flowers and berries are useful. Also planning to take a bunch of gooseberry and lavender cuttings today.

Barring the unexpected will be back down there tomorrow morning- had a fair bit of rain recently and some more is due tomorrow so I'm not sure what the plan will be other than the rounds and maybe some picking but I'm sure I can find a few other things to do.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I am glad your handsome fellow is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

I am glad your handsome fellow is ok.

If it wasn't for the test results we would have no idea he was sick right now- he's very much himself :)

it rains, and it pours

So I woke up early and heard it raining and this little part of me just says "stay in bed. Its fine. Outside is a bad idea". In hindsight, the me that existed in that decision based reality probably had far a easier day. Instead, I hauled myself up and out.

When I got down there, unpacked and went to lock the car up, the drivers side window failed to work, then dropped down in the frame. I did some swearing and then looked up the weather forecast again and swore lots more cause it's gonna piss down all day long.

Rather than gently caress it all off at this point, I got some tarp on it, taped up the electrics and pressed onwards.

I had swung by an industrial estate before getting here and liberated some wood pallets from a skip- useful and the kids want a little shack, so I'm gonna build a stockpile up.

Re-found some crab apples on the neighbors land- will double check from politeness sake but he should be fine with me raiding it/getting a cutting or two.

The pond is filling up again, might just have to try digging it wet. Grass coverage going wild.

Its so nice after so much drought to see everything get soaked down a bit.

But massive cracks remain in places- I wasnt going to bother filling them but might chuck some pond on this one at least.

I did the rounds-

then decided to stay and fruit pick for awhile because I still felt hosed off about the car window. Im glad I did, because there were plenty of easy, ripe pickings today, and it was really nice to be picking in the rain and I soon reassessed the car stuff. Its 14/15 years old- poo poo breaks.

In about an hour I filled this big tub without rush, and even remembered to bring my bowsaw with me.

While I went around picking I killed a bunch of hogweed cropping up- its sap can be really nasty so I tend to get rid of it in areas people frequent- plus it makes a satisfying sound when I slash it down with a knife.

So today was pretty lovely (also stung up my hand on thistles including one between fingernail and finger and also spilt my coffee all over the inside of the car) but the window regulator is a job that looks well within my capabilities which is good because its a cheap part with a big labour cost to do- its gonna cost me most of a day though because I Am Not A Mechanic. Made my parts order and should be able to get it all done tomorrow.

And I'm still somehow glad I went out. Fucks sake :)