Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Miftan posted:

I love this thread. It's wholesome and cute but it takes forever to load on my lovely computer.

It's okay, it takes forever to load on my shiny new computer too. None of the pics in the last post loaded at all until I refreshed. :sigh:

Lovely thread though. Just.. maybe fewer/smaller pics in the future, please? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

xcheopis posted:

If it makes you feel better, I start whining and snivelling when temps here get above 70F (21C) and I'm in California. It's been high 70s in the area for weeks and I hate it.

Also in California, and I start whining when things are any less than 70F. This week has been great!

Loving the pics, OP, glad you found a solution to the long load times that still lets you post a ton. House and land improvement threads are totally my jam. Possibly because I live in a tiny studio apartment in a busy part of downtown and have no hope of ever owning my own place.

Not like I could ever give up the avocado toast anyway.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Aww man is that TWO different kinds of bees? :neckbeard:

Also, I don't mean to rain on your parade but I hope those jars are going into the fridge soon. Reusing lids like that makes it harder to guarantee an airtight seal, which you need to prevent spoilage and harmful bacteria. Not saying you're definitely going to get food poisoning and die, but better safe than sorry, you know? There's a thread for making jams, jellies, pickles, and stuff like that in GWS if you're interested in learning about the process. :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I had a dream that my husband and I owned a caravan, and it must be due to this thread. Cleaning it up and repainting and going on trips was really fun, until I woke up and realized none of that ever happened. :sigh:

Give a little fistbump to your spiderbro for me next time you see her.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

Lavender (its toxic so im not gonna eat much)

..oh crap. :ohdear:

Seriously though, lavender has a lot of uses as an herb. I put a tiny amount of dried lavender bud in my earl grey sometimes, and apparently the greens can be used like rosemary, although I've never tried it. Lavender ice cream and lavender lemonade are pretty dope too.

I was going to post something about how I'm really into floral things so your mileage may vary, then I remembered I'm a bee so

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

What's all this then

I have been wanting to give this a crack since my kids made some at a fayre- bee hotels. Simple construction method of stuff lots of cut lengths of bamboo in a plastic tube, then shim it in with smaller bits. Cardboard layer for a bit of insulation. I'm gonna do one or two more a bit differently as prototypes, give em a year or two then do a production run of the best type and knock out a load of them.

Oh my god is that a bumblebee house? It's a bumblebee house! :neckbeard:

Please let me continue to live vicariously through you, as I've been wanting to make one of these for a while but have no yard to put it in. :sigh:

As far as I recall, poppies grow fairly well from seed. When I was little my mom planted a bajillion wildflowers and bulbs in the front yard, and the poppies self-seeded often enough to become a bit of a nuisance. She would rip them up by the handful when they started to crowd everything else out. To be fair though it was mostly the California poppies; I don't recall the other varieties being as bad, but then again this was over 15 years ago. Maybe the other varieties just didn't do as well because I liked to play with the dried seed heads and prevented them from properly dispersing? The world may never know. :downs:

That random flowering herb looks a bit like flat leaf parsley, but I'm not 100% sure. It's not something I usually grow.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

I grant you full permission under the provisions granted by the five acres emergency climate act 2015 to ignore the poo poo out of property rights regards saving the environment- just do it guerilla style and tell em I sent you :hai:

It's worth noting that as I was told about/linked to in the climate thread when talking about bee stuff, that the insides of the bee houses need to be cleaned out or replaced yearly lest they become full of bee diseases and parasites- for now I just need to remember to dump the bamboo, clean and repack yearly, but there's lots of room for improvement here- some people clean up and tend for baby bees... sounds cool to me :unsmith:

So noted. I live in an urban area so there aren't a ton of options for guerilla beekeeping, but I could probably sneak some into the trees down by the river...

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

No-ones gonna stop you if there's no-one to see you :ninja:

The land around the river is a public park/trail, and there are a number of homeless camps in the area, so I'm not sure I can actually put bee houses up without being seen. Would be interesting to try, though!

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much bee food is in the area. There are small flowering shrubs in a couple areas of the park, but it's mostly grass. Grass and oak trees, and maybe some wild fennel. I'd have to do guerilla gardening as well and plant some wildflowers and we just entered our dry season so I'd have to water them, at least at first, and this is starting to sound like a whole lotta work.. :geno:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

This was growing on an oak and infested with ants. Curious.

Looks like an oak gall. Basically, a growth that certain species of wasp use to shelter and feed their larva. Ants probably thought it looked like a sweet party house after the original occupant moved out.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

If I never make it back to post again, I hope it at least tastes good- and you goons will know I'm raving it up with some ants, in this life or the next

I have it on good authority that they taste very bitter and unpleasant. Good authority being the kid who picked one and tried to eat it during a nature walk for one of my college courses. :v:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Clearly the solution to your lavender problem is just to plant a fuckload more of it, and hope at least one survives. Just like nature intended!

Or wrap the drat plants with barbed wire. Maybe use a tomato cage covered in it? Those things have got to be useful for something..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Hooray for not burning down! :neckbeard: