Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

St. Jenesius' Square, Tenday

This morning, the market is already bustling with activity. The day will be hot, with Alpha already bright and warm in the sky, and Beta not yet eclipsed by its larger companion. People, and things like people, jostle each other in the lines and in the walkways, some here to sell and fewer to buy.

In the shadow of the great concrete cathedral, with its black banded onyx doors, the kingdom's subjects endure. Statues of the saint itself watch the comings and goings, the merchants with their wares, the pickpockets plying their trade, the musicians tuning their instruments, the gendarmes taking their cuts, mourners scuttling round the churchyard, and all the little notes that make up the song of market day rise and fall against the great cathedral walls.

Today, the bread line is particularly long. Most of the other food merchants have sold through their products, but the Baker's Guild has a reputation even in these lean times for providing their staple in ample quantities. Commoners of all stripes wait their turn, tapping a hand over their coin purses or dabbing the sweat from their brows. Gossip is traded for complaints, the only plentiful commodities these days.

pre:
CHORUS BARITONE
Saints, it's hot today

CHORUS ALTO
Still, it could be worse[

C. BARITONE
It's getting worse every day

C. ALTO
Let's face it, it's our curse

C. BARITONE AND ALTO
It's our lot in life
The haves and the have nots
The ancients took our halves,
But we can keep all the have nots

CHORUS BASS
Did you hear about Gerard?

CHORUS TENOR
Yes, he caught his death, poor dear

CHORUS SOPRANO
Yeah, if his widow saves her pennies
Maybe she'll bury him next year

C. TENOR, SOPRANO, BASS
It's our lot in life
Sometimes it seems it's all for naught
They take our health and fortunes

C. SOPRANO
And leave us all with squat!

An ANCIENT enters stage right, flanked by guards. She immediately walks toward the head of the line.

CHORUS
It's our lot in life
They take everything we've got
Just to buy a crust of bread-

The Ancient throws a bag of money onto the baker's counter. The song crashes to a halt.

ANCIENT
I'll take the whole lot.
A tense silence settles over the bread line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

The silence is broken by a slow, hateful clap from the middle of the line.

"Must be nice," Pavel grumbles, throwing his cigarette to the ground. He gives it a good stomp on his way out of the line.

It was too hot today to cover up for everyone; a ratty tank top and a cheap black visor meant that his ears, tail, tattoos, and machine interface implants were on full display. He lowers his mirrored sunglasses to return a judgmental look from the woman behind him. A momentary pause gives him the time to stop himself from making some aggressive comment. She had nothing to do with this.

Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. Too much good bread and not enough activity could see him wind up as fat as some of these ancients.

pre:
Pavel Gillespie

Background: Penal Colonist - Athletics, Survival (Urban/Space/Terrestrial/Frontier), Intimidation
Traits: Fearless, Resilient, Crass, Veteran
Talents: Veteran I (Not Dead Yet), Skirmisher I (Open Sight Targeting), Martial Artist (Claws Out)
Gear: Wilderness Survival Kit, First-aid MediGel, Extra Rations
pre:
Gander Heavy Manufactory Taedus Ultralight MK3 - "First In Stack"
Shell: Everest
Hull: +0
Agility: +1
Systems: -1  
Engineering: +0 

HP: 20
Mounts:
Flex                  Aux                    Heavy
MC-BLD                MC-TP                  MC-TCB

Critical: 4
Evasion: 9
Speed: 6
Sensors: 7
E-Defense: 7
Heat: 6
Repair: 5

Jump Jets (2)
Grapplers (1)
Smoke Grenades (2)

Flex: 
MC-BLD
Main Melee (Axe)
Reach, 1d6+2 Kinetic

Aux:
MC-TP
Aux CQB (Thermal Pistol)
Range 10, 1d3 Energy

Heavy:
MC-TCB
Heavy Melee (Long Blade) 
Reach+1, 1d6+4 Energy

Atlatl fucked around with this message at May 14, 2018 around 20:40

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu Liao

Over a few stalls, Exu unintentionally plucks a discordant note from her half-tuned instrument. How dare this woman. How could she do this?

The line of people is starving one and all. There are children! Children! with a few coins and hope of having something in their bellies, and this is what you offer them? You owe them more than this. It's almost enough for her to reach for her sabre, or...

But no. If she starts a fuss here it won't be the Ancient that leaves dead. It will be the innocent. Hastily, instead, she begins turning pegs and tapping strings, until the tune is right and she hears a line to latch on to from the crowd.

"Must be nice~~"
Pluck, pluck. The openings of an aria. A warning shot.

Must be nice to be an ancient,
Ladidadidididida,
All day long just falalalala,
When you're an Ancient one!
You don't have to give care,
Hhmhnhahahahahum!
All the money in the world to spare,
Being an idle, idle, rich and useless bum!

All day long the people toil
Trying to keep themselves from death
Desperate work to keep themselves in bread
Then in you prance with a pouch of money
Stealing even that hope away from them
Do you think it's funny to leave them dead?

Your rich friends join you to duel and gamble and dance and drink
For the town to see and hear
Putting on the biggest show you can
With your disdain for the people you rule
Emblazoned like a letter on your sleeves
As if to say "here dies an Ancient one!"

Must be nice to be an ancient,
Ladidadidididida,
All day long just falalalala,
When you're an Ancient one!
You don't have to give care,
Hhmhnhahahahahum!
All the money in the world to spare,
Being an idle, idle, rich and useless bum!


It's not yet hot in the square, but the sweat is beginning to drip down Exu's face. Improvising is hard; defying authority, harder. But it's what she can do, for now. They deserve better, but someone has to do something. Even if it's just being a focus of attention for a little bit.

Exu Liao
pre:
Background: Celebrity [Social (intuition, deduction, character judgement), 
Etiquette (cultural, class, pop culture), Persuasion (charisma, reputation)]

Traits: Relentless, Compassionate, Distrustful

Talents: Drone Commander 1, Exemplar 1, Juggernaut 1

Gear: Sabre, Voice Amplifier, Zither
Totenkopf
pre:
Shell: Everest
Hull: +0
Agility: +0
Systems:  +1
Engineering: +0

HP: 20
Mounts:
Flex                  Aux                    Heavy
MC-SG                MC-TK                   MC-TCB

Drone Nexus (2SP)
Smoke Grenades (2SP)
Dummy Plug (1SP)

Critical: 4
Evasion: 8
Speed: 5
Sensors: 9
E-Defense: 9
Heat: 6
Repair: 6 (5hp/repair)

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

As the rowdy applause and concerned murmurs die off, Pavel wanders up to the musician and drops a few coins at her feet. "I'm still trying to decide if you're mocking me," he says, stuffing his hands in his pockets, "and now you got me feeling bad for getting angry over a missed snack on my break."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu

"You?" says Exu, genuinely shocked. "No, I want to make her look as ridiculous and evil as she is," she says, pointing at the Ancient before realizing that might be a bad idea and retracting the finger. "Still hanging around loading her bread, stealing it from the hands of those who need it to live..."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth




quote:

Background: Officer

Fields: Weapons (military), Etiquette (military, cultural), Persuasion (charisma, reputation, rank)

Traits: Loyal, Brave, Leader, Veteran. Complicating: Patriot

Talents: Leader, Tactician, Veteran

Personal Gear: Regimental issue sword, Stimulants, Sound System



quote:

Shell: Everest
Hull: +1
Agility: +0
Systems: +0
Engineering: -1

HP: 28
Mounts:
Flex:MC-BLD
Aux: MC-P x 2
Heavy: Howitzer

Custom Paintjob
Shield Type-II
Personalizations

Critical: 6
Evasion: 8
Speed: 5
Sensors: 8
E-Defense: 8
Heat: 5
Repair: 5 (5hp/repair)

In the shadow of a statue of Saint Jenesius's faithful horse, a grey-haired man in worn military style dress strikes a match off the plinth and lights a cigar. He watches the unfolding tableau with a deep sense of shame, and building indignation. Puffing on his cigar and blowing smoke from his nostrils like a moth-eaten dragon he begins to stride across the square to the offending Ancient, his boots loudly sounding on the flagstones in the sullen heat and stillness.

The lay of St Jenesius,
if an old man may recall
Is one of thrift and benefice
of gifts from one to all
How good, madam, to see today
the old ways not forgot!
Here, let me help you share that bread!
drat, this sun is hot!


It's as close to a direct challenge to the power of an ancient as any man might make, but the boldness of Adolphus Piazatoro, Major-General (ret.) has never been in question. Sometimes, perhaps, his wisdom. But never his boldness.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!

td19



Amari Chancellor

Don't get involved
After all you have your orders
Don't get involved
You must stay focused and stay true
No matter what you see today
You must steel your own thoughts far away
And keep in mind what is in play
The revolution
Don't get involved


"Oh my god," Chance says, his eyes widening. "Is that Adolphus Piazatoro?"

quote:

Background: Miner
Fields: Mechanics (space), Demolition, Survival (space, asteroid, habitats)
Traits: Positive -- Hopeful, Courageous | Complicating -- Naive
Talents: Siege Specialist, Drone Commander, Scrapper


GMS-SP1 “Jenny Luck”

pre:
Shell: Everest
Hull: +0
Agility: +0
Systems:  +1
Engineering: +0

HP: 20
Mounts:
Heavy -- GMS Howitzer
Flex -- GMS High-Arc Mortar
Aux -- MC-TP (x2) 

Drone Nexus (2SP)
Drone Nexus (2SP)
Stable Structure (1SP)

Critical: 4
Evasion: 8
Speed: 5
Sensors: 9
E-Defense: 9
Heat: 6
Repair: 6 (5hp/repair)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Bread Line

The ancient turns, a mildly surprised expression on her face. The nobility are unused to being called out by the lower orders, to put it lightly. A brighter, unsettling look ghosts across her pale face as the non-human and a minstrel try to shame her, but it passes quickly into the torpor of decorum.

"Yes," she says into the sudden quiet. Her voice has the new tone and aged cadence of the old nobility, with decades of nastiness behind a recently refreshed set of vocal cords. "It is nice."

The crowd stirs, but none of them can meet the gaze of the noblewoman.

Adolphus' challenge does not go unnoticed, however. The noble's guards form up in between her and the soldier, imposing in their black tricorns and cloaks. They move in eerie sync, like dancers on a stage. No sweat beads on the thin strip of flesh that you can see around their eyes.

"Step aside, child," says the ancient, her reptilian eyes locking into Adolphus'. "And I might condescend to show you a kindness."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt

Ema is Exu's shadow, caught between the nerve to follow and the nerve to speak up. As she sees the scene, she blinks, following after as she speaks up softly softly,

"Isn't it strange?

Isn't it queer?

Don't you realize-

You're rather quite near?

It's rather quite simple.

And certainly not grand.

But it's very unusual-

You are where you stand.

I have to say simply,

And don't think that I sneer,

But I have to observe,

The line starts over
there."

Finding herself pointing for a moment as if involuntarily, Ema then quickly hides her hands, averting her gaze as she sidles closer to Exu.

pre:


Name: Ema Colt		Background: "Officer"		Traits: Chatty, Just, Wide-Eyed

Fields: 	Weapons (military), Etiquette (military, cultural), Persuasion (charisma, 
		reputation, rank)

Personal Gear:	Clarification Lenses, Comfort-Regulated Flightsuit, Swiftspresso
		(stimulants)

Talents

Ace		Acrobatics (Rank I): Gain +1 Accuracy to all agility checks and attack rolls
		made while flying.

Gunslinger	Truth and Justice (Rank I): Gain +1 Accuracy to attack rolls with auxiliary
		ranged weapons.

Skirmisher	Open Sight Targeting (Rank I): When you take the boost action, before or
		after your move you can attack with one auxiliary weapon as a free action.
pre:


Giant Arbiter AM-36 “Bloody Dove"

Size: 1		Armor: 0		SP: 5			Targeting: +0

Hull -1		Agility +1		Systems +0		Engineering +0

HP: 16		Evasion: 9		Sensor Range: 8		Heat Capacity: +0
Resilience: -1	Speed: 6		E-Defense 8		Repair Cap: 6

Weapon		Type		Terms			Range		Damage

20mm HAMR	Heavy Rifle	AP, Loading, Ordinance	30		2d6+4 kinetic
MC-RPG		Main Launcher	Loading			15 (blast 2)	1d6 explosive
MC-P		Auxiliary CQB	-			10		1d3 kinetic
MC-P		Auxiliary CQB	-			10		1d3 kinetic

Modules

GMS Type II Flight System (5 SP):  When your mech moves or boosts, it can fly with Perfect
Flight (it doesn’t have to land). However, at the end of each turn that you activated this
module, generate heat equal to the size of your mech or 1, whichever is greater.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

"Yeah, that's the general," Pavel comments to the man next to him. The non-human does his best to hide behind Lady Colt and the musician.

See how she walks?
I doubt that she cares.
I don't expect empathy
From someone that fair.

Three words said in spite
And spun into song
Spur an old man to fight
over the smallest wrong.

With no hills to die on,
Any bump will suffice.
Now it's a matter of honor
And they'll both pay the price.


A cruel, teasing smile. He looks to the musician. "And I blame you for all of this."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth


Adolphus

The General snorts. Kindness is the last thing he expects, and now he's committed to foolish action he may as well take it all the way.

"Hmph, I don't think so. I only take orders from royalty, not living dolls with delusions of grandeur."

I've bled and shed blood in many a war

I've stared in the grim face of death before

Your heart may be cold and your eyes artificial

But the danger you pose it at worst superficial

So share the bread among the people,

Or brawl down here in the shadow of the steeple.


A bell rings within the cathedral as the old soldier casts his cigar at the feet of the Ancient, ash bouncing onto her shoes.

aside, to audience

This snake and her shadows will certainly thrash

an old man whose temper has done something rash

But honour and decency force me to stand

and show that there's one brave soul left in the land

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!

td19


Chance

[SOFTLY, IN THE BACK]
Don't get involved
After all you have your orders...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Bread Line

The noble does not precisely slither towards the old general, but she comes awfully close for something that moves on two legs. One black-clad claw comes up and strokes Adolphus on the cheek. "Pretty young thing," she says. Her breath is menthol over ashes, and cool on this sunny morning. "Move, or you will be moved."

This is your last chance to back down or come up with a non-violent solution. Not suggesting one or the other, just setting the stakes.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu

"You are right, sir," says Exu to Pavel. "The fault is mine. It is only just-" she stands, and it suddenly becomes clear that at her back, concealed from view when she was sitting at her instrument, is a short sabre. "-that I should stand as well."

Adjusting the blade back into workable drawing position as she walks forward, she takes up stance next to Adolphus.

One man need not stand alone while I breathe
Beneath the gilded surface here death seethes
You and I do not fear it even so
Better death than injustice here below.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

"I'm done with this." Pavel smiles and shrugs. All he wanted was a snack before going back on watch, and now he would have to help put down a riot that would inevitably be blamed on him.

With all eyes on the ancient, the general, and the musician, Pavel walks around the crowd, tenderly sets a coin on the counter, grabs a baguette, and walks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt

With that, Ema steps forward, distinctly less armed than the others.

Even with all that is said

It seems a bit ex-treme

To have blood over bread?

Let's not fall so far


She pauses, eyes wide. "Certainly you're not so low.", she says to the noble, simply with a gesture to the bread. "As to struggle for the scraps of another?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Bread Line

The icy gaze falls on Ema. "Far from it," the noblewoman says. "But I gladly defend what is mine, which I have taken by privilege and by coin. Perhaps they don't hold to that standard, whatever part of the Marches you've come from."

Okay, here are the stakes.

You have one narrative beat to resolve this conflict. If you don't, she's walking and the people in the breadline go hungry. Shaming her will not work. You need to give her something she might want in exchange, or you need to take what you want from her, whatever and however you determine.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

A few disparaging words reach Pavel's ears, and he can't help but turn around to make one last jab at everyone's expense.

"It's not really yours until the transaction's actually complete, you know." He pauses to take bite from his baguette. "You only own what you're able to enforce. Maybe if these people," he waves derisively to the crowd around him, "standing around didn't have the temerity to starve themselves, they would just take the bread from you. Or maybe you could have just ignored all this and been out of here by now. But what do I know?"

He breaks off another piece of bread and shrugs.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth


Adolphus

"An ancient afraid to age and unable to share calls me a child, is that it? Hmph. Well, I tried to let you down easily."

With a flourish, Adolpus steps back and unsheathes a much used, utilitarian (but very, very, sharp) sabre.

Let all those who hunger

come forth, take your bread

this Ancient One's wrath

be upon my own head!



(wip looking up rules for starting a fight)

(ok i think this roll covers what I'm trying to do: Persuasion (Charisma) + Leader: 1d20+2d6k1 10)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at May 21, 2018 around 12:52

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Bread Line

The ancient's mouth crinkles in a simulacrum of amusement. Her guards begin to rush forward, but one of them is interrupted by a cobblestone to the temple. He staggers, blood trickling between his fingers as they come up to his face - with more skin exposed, you can tell this man is a recombinant, much like the snarky cat-person who's currently the only person who actually has bread. The ancient has just enough time to draw her own blade, as fine as Adolphus' is coarse, before debris starts to rain down on her and her uninjured attendant.

A riot is an ugly thing. The line breaks, and its undisciplined ranks descend onto the baker's guild, onto the fallen guard, and onto the neighboring stalls. In the midst of the storm, the noblewoman fends off rioters with the silver sliver in her hand, but she tries to keep one furious eye on the angry general; her blood is up, and so might yours be. Her standing armsman attempts to make his way to his fallen compatriot, warding off the missiles of the mob and throwing punches, but not with his sword. In the scrum, a small child is separated from his mother by the sudden deluge of people. Stacks of bread are there for the taking, of course, but not for long. And faintly, over the sudden chorus of shouts, you can make out the piping of the gendarmes' whistles.

What do you do now?

For causing a scene, Adolphus may take +1 Accuracy on his next pilot skill check.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu

Don't falter, isn't just this
What you wanted all along?
The people, fighting for justice
By the power of your song?


Exu's hand falters at her sword. The opportunity is bare before her. The Ancient's back is turned. But this child! How could she leave him to his fate?

But how can she let this cancer live?

Exu hesitates only a moment longer before remembering the advice of her first music teacher. If you make a mistake, or don't know what's next, make a choice and move on. Your flaws are more noticeable if you draw attention by trying to correct them. You must continue to play as if you know what you're doing.

"Since the fault is mine/I must see this through.
General, save that child!/There is something I must do."

With that, Exu leaps at the Ancient's exposed flank, drawing blade. The General is an official of the Kingdom. To do violence against even such a worthless citizen is not his lot.

The die is cast. The blade strikes out.

Strike!: 1d20+1d6 21

K Prime fucked around with this message at May 22, 2018 around 00:13

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt
Traits:
Chatty | Just | Wide-Eyed

"Oh, for the love of-" Ema had presumed she would be escaping the chaos at home, have a bit of a... vacation is a strong word. A respite? Let's call it a respite. "People! Stop! Stop!"

She was not having a respite at the moment.

Has madness followed me here

Haunting me still, knowing my fear-


Reaching out with a hand towards the child, it's close, but- the crowd surges. A inadvertent blow from behind with a discordant note, and the noble is knocked to the ground, feet stomping over her.

Dangerous check to rescue the child. Got a 2. Let's mark off Wide-Eyed, shall we?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel

Pavel ducks reflexively, half expecting a rock to be throw his way as an act of either karma or racism. As the crowd surges around him, he throws his bread in the face of an onrusher to open a path for his own escape. It was perhaps a more degrading act than anything the ancient had done, but he didn't have time to think about it.

He forces himself to a stop as he nearly trips over Ema. He didn't have it in him to ignore her plight, and he hauls her up to her feet by the collar of her jacket.

Get on your feet and get off the street!
You hear those whistles? Here comes the heat!


He grabs her by the arm and does his best to push through the crowd, away from the fight.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Post deadline rapidly approaches.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth


Adolphus

Trampled and crushed to death by a crowd is no way for a child to die, and with the sudden appearance of the musician who makes a strike to distract the Ancient Adolphus has a chance to get clear and use his powerful voice and visible weapon to gain a few precious seconds room.

"Back, you fools! You would leave a small child for dead/For the chance at a mouthful of bread! Musician, you must follow me, to where to bells toll high above/The Bishop there will give us cover!"

The child under one arm, the General gestures to the cathedral and begins pressing towards it through the throng.

Organizing a Retreat (veteran, +1): 1d20+2d6k1 14

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Escape

Adolphus leads a chain of people holding each other by the collar towards the towering cathedral. Exu can take a hint, and joins this troupe before her opponent, leaking silvery blood, can retaliate with any ferocity.

The ancient lets out a low scream as her opposite combatant disappears amid the tide of people. The scream, and the shouting and the whistles of the police, are cut short by the slamming of the cathedral's doors.

In contrast to the sunny chaos outside, in here it's cool, dark, and a little musty after all the myriad scents of the market. Market day being one of the few reprieves from the drudgery of everyday life, there are no worshippers in this part of the cathedral at the moment, nor do you see any clergy. There's no pounding on the doors demanding your blood, either, as is the noble right, so you're likely safe there, for the time.

How much time is of course the question. You might try and seek sanctuary from the bishop, or escape through the churchyard and its maze of gravestones. It might pay to find out exactly who you've thrown your lot in with, and what you might do with this child you're carrying around.

The boy is dressed in rumpled cotton and wool, peasants' clothes. He's unconscious but breathing, and he has no obvious wounds. His odd, two-tone hair marks him as a recipient of genetic tampering, somewhere down his family tree.

Look on the bright side - at least he's not crying.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt
Traits:
Chatty | Just | Wide-Eyed

Ema looks a bit the worse for wear and a bit dazed, but not seriously injured. Taking a moment to check the goggles on her forehead to make sure they haven't been cracked, she then looks to Pavel. "Oh, thanks, but what about the-" There's a moment of pause as the temperature regulators in her suit activates, and a bit of dancing from her hair as air escapes the collar. It puffs slightly momentarily, then returns to its normal state, but it's enough to distract her a little before she looks to the child. "All over bread, I guess things are worse than I thought, we need to make sure he gets back home, and- oh, it's going to be hard to see the king as it is, we're in trouble, aren't we?" She forces herself up with a wince. "Oh no no no. Ugggh.", she says, looking up to the ceiling. "Everybody's counting on me."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel
Traits:
Fearless | Resilient | Veteran | Crass

Pavel raises an eyebrow. "You get kicked in the head back there? You alright?" He gently touches Ema's head, examining her for any injuries. "What are you even talking about? You know the king's gone, right? You should probably sit down for a bit."

A world weary sigh escapes his mouth as he takes stock of the others with him. He removes his sunglasses and stows them on his head, the lenses resting on top of his visor. "Well this is just fantastic. Last time I ever get let out to work security," he grumbles.

Pavel takes a deep breath and immediately switches to a well-practiced, facetiously cheery demeanor. "Hi everyone! My name's Pavel! I like long walks on the beach, sunset dinners with non-prison-grade food, and not being in jail." Finger guns shoot in the direction he presumes is a safe exit. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go suppress a riot that I just started on my own watch before anyone notices that I'm gone. If you like not being locked up as much as I do, I would highly suggest we leave this place before the security perimeter collapses in on the area."

He motions dismissively to the child. "Except him, he's dead weight. He should probably stay with the, uh, whoever works at this place."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth


Adolphus
Traits: Loyal, Brave, Leader, Veteran, Patriot

In the shade of the cathedral the old man slumps into a pew for a moment to catch his breath. When recovered he says:

"I apologize to you all for starting trouble. At my age I should know better, but that pompous strutting corpse got on my nerves. I can at least promise you a way to safety, if you want it. The Bishop is an old friend and will give us access to the catacombs below, we can come up outside any cordon the Guard will set up.

quote:

Ema Colt

(Charming, old fashioned mannerisms)

"Madam, I believe I knew your uncle. A Colt, yes? Good family. How is the homestead? I've heard nothing recently."

quote:

Pavel

(Avuncular disapproval)

"Stay clear of the square and the riot for now, boy. The King may be...missing, but the force of the law will not spare you for breaching his peace. Your master will have to do without you for an hour or two.

(rising to his feet and casting a steely gaze across the assembled)

"I am Adolphus Piazatoro. I was a General in the royal army, and now I find myself at odds with the palace. I hope to find out what has happened to the King, and either come to his aid or avenge his loss. As you all seem to have courage and a care for the well-being of others I invite you to join me."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt
Traits:
Chatty | Just | Wide-Eyed

Ema squints at Pavel, one part skepticism and one part owowow. "Yes, I was kicked in the- but what does that have to do with the king? Kings don't just disappear, that doesn't make any sense. And your watch? You don't look like a guard. And can you really just stop a riot with an ancient looking to take your skin? Slipping out seems much more sensible, and besides, I owe you to see that your well-being is... well... well."

She doesn't really miss a beat as the nods deeply to Alolphus. "Thank you. Um, but there's trouble back home, we were hoping to inform the king. I've come too far to just turn back, there must be somebody to meet with, isn't there? There has to be."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel
Traits:
Fearless | Resilient | Veteran | Crass

Pavel snarls as the general calls him boy, but he still has enough restraint left to stop himself from making a belligerent comment. "Law's pretty selective these days. And while you might have some faith in the rest of the guard, I expect them to escalate this well past any reasonable response."

He looks to Ema. "Listen, I get a lot more concessions towards behavior and appearance than most. That don't make me not a guard for today." He crosses his arms. "The ancient, though... I'll probably just have to have my Lady go flex on her to keep me from getting into trouble. Which means..." He rubs the back of his head nervously. "Ah, I'll worry about that later. You're right. I should lay low."

"So what's your plan here, general? Kick over anthills until the old man gets tired of your poo poo and shows up? As much as I wanna find out, if that was a viable plan I'd have done it myself long before ya'll got here." He turns back to Lady Colt. "Listen, what help do you need? Military stuff? 'Cause I might know some folks. Not too sure how they might react, but, uh... It might be a little faster than locating and informing the king. And more doable."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt
Traits:
Chatty | Just | Wide-Eyed

"I guess...? I mean, I was hoping the king could just end things with an order, I don't want to just... escalate things. I mean, we may have to, but certainly once the Imperial Military finds out, they'd have to act, wouldn't they? I mean, it only makes sense.", Ema says, looking perfectly sincere in the way only somebody who's practically come in from the wild could be.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu

"None of them will care," says Exu softly, turning her white-stained blade over and over in the dim light. Looking at it. "If they cared about this, they could have acted long ago. We all could have acted long ago. Do you think we're the first who would cry out to them to save us?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Cathedral Interior

"If I may be so bold," comes a voice from the dark. "If you're looking to be saved, you've come to the right place."

Part of the bishop steps out of the shade, clicking gently where its skeletal feet touch the floor. The servitor is made of burnished steel and brass, draped in velvets. The voice from the grill in its neck is modulated as a masculine basso tone, authoritative behind its surface softness. Silvery discs in the machine's face examine each of you in turn.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel
Traits:
Fearless | Resilient | Veteran | Crass

"I'm not, but he is." Pavel waves to the unconscious child. "Which way leads outta here?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Cathedral Interior

"That's a very philosophical question," says part of the Bishop. "Confining ourselves to temporal affairs, most leave the way they came. Others..."

At this, the Bishop gestures roundly with one of its upper arms, encompassing the upper reaches of the cathedral as well as the churchyard outside. "Stay."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009



Exu

"There is far too much work to be done for me to linger here," says Exu, finally sheathing her blade. "I presume there is a basement?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Ema Colt
Traits:
Chatty | Just | Wide-Eyed

"But it's different, we're-" Ema halts as she speaks to Exu. We're nobles. Not that she necessarily thinks herself more important, but... well. If her privilege can save lives...

A slight shake of her head, though, and she looks to the priest. "I'm looking to save, not be saved. I've... prepared. I'll be fine. The rest of the people on my world, though..." She folds her arms, looking up as she ponders. "... I don't know how long they can hold out."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Cathedral Interior

"There is the crypt," says the Bishop. One hand twists in its socket, and a rumbling sound echos through the air. One of the metal grates covered in prayer candles slides up along the wall, revealing a passage down to the depths.

As the cathedral quiets down once more, the Bishop returns its attention to your instance. The disc-eyes track along each of your faces. "You may not like what you find there, however."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Pavel
Traits:
Fearless | Resilient | Veteran | Crass

"I don't really like anything I find, so I think I'll manage." Pavel beckons to everyone. "Let's walk and talk."

  • Locked thread
«2 »