Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu Liao

Over a few stalls, Exu unintentionally plucks a discordant note from her half-tuned instrument. How dare this woman. How could she do this?

The line of people is starving one and all. There are children! Children! with a few coins and hope of having something in their bellies, and this is what you offer them? You owe them more than this. It's almost enough for her to reach for her sabre, or...

But no. If she starts a fuss here it won't be the Ancient that leaves dead. It will be the innocent. Hastily, instead, she begins turning pegs and tapping strings, until the tune is right and she hears a line to latch on to from the crowd.

"Must be nice~~"
Pluck, pluck. The openings of an aria. A warning shot.

Must be nice to be an ancient,
Ladidadidididida,
All day long just falalalala,
When you're an Ancient one!
You don't have to give care,
Hhmhnhahahahahum!
All the money in the world to spare,
Being an idle, idle, rich and useless bum!

All day long the people toil
Trying to keep themselves from death
Desperate work to keep themselves in bread
Then in you prance with a pouch of money
Stealing even that hope away from them
Do you think it's funny to leave them dead?

Your rich friends join you to duel and gamble and dance and drink
For the town to see and hear
Putting on the biggest show you can
With your disdain for the people you rule
Emblazoned like a letter on your sleeves
As if to say "here dies an Ancient one!"

Must be nice to be an ancient,
Ladidadidididida,
All day long just falalalala,
When you're an Ancient one!
You don't have to give care,
Hhmhnhahahahahum!
All the money in the world to spare,
Being an idle, idle, rich and useless bum!

It's not yet hot in the square, but the sweat is beginning to drip down Exu's face. Improvising is hard; defying authority, harder. But it's what she can do, for now. They deserve better, but someone has to do something. Even if it's just being a focus of attention for a little bit.

Exu Liao
pre:
Background: Celebrity [Social (intuition, deduction, character judgement), 
Etiquette (cultural, class, pop culture), Persuasion (charisma, reputation)]

Traits: Relentless, Compassionate, Distrustful

Talents: Drone Commander 1, Exemplar 1, Juggernaut 1

Gear: Sabre, Voice Amplifier, Zither
Totenkopf
pre:
Shell: Everest
Hull: +0
Agility: +0
Systems:  +1
Engineering: +0

HP: 20
Mounts:
Flex                  Aux                    Heavy
MC-SG                MC-TK                   MC-TCB

Drone Nexus (2SP)
Smoke Grenades (2SP)
Dummy Plug (1SP)

Critical: 4
Evasion: 8
Speed: 5
Sensors: 9
E-Defense: 9
Heat: 6
Repair: 6 (5hp/repair)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

"You?" says Exu, genuinely shocked. "No, I want to make her look as ridiculous and evil as she is," she says, pointing at the Ancient before realizing that might be a bad idea and retracting the finger. "Still hanging around loading her bread, stealing it from the hands of those who need it to live..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

"You are right, sir," says Exu to Pavel. "The fault is mine. It is only just-" she stands, and it suddenly becomes clear that at her back, concealed from view when she was sitting at her instrument, is a short sabre. "-that I should stand as well."

Adjusting the blade back into workable drawing position as she walks forward, she takes up stance next to Adolphus.

One man need not stand alone while I breathe
Beneath the gilded surface here death seethes
You and I do not fear it even so
Better death than injustice here below.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

Don't falter, isn't just this
What you wanted all along?
The people, fighting for justice
By the power of your song?

Exu's hand falters at her sword. The opportunity is bare before her. The Ancient's back is turned. But this child! How could she leave him to his fate?

But how can she let this cancer live?

Exu hesitates only a moment longer before remembering the advice of her first music teacher. If you make a mistake, or don't know what's next, make a choice and move on. Your flaws are more noticeable if you draw attention by trying to correct them. You must continue to play as if you know what you're doing.

"Since the fault is mine/I must see this through.
General, save that child!/There is something I must do."

With that, Exu leaps at the Ancient's exposed flank, drawing blade. The General is an official of the Kingdom. To do violence against even such a worthless citizen is not his lot.

The die is cast. The blade strikes out.

Strike!: 1d20+1d6 21

K Prime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 22, 2018

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

"None of them will care," says Exu softly, turning her white-stained blade over and over in the dim light. Looking at it. "If they cared about this, they could have acted long ago. We all could have acted long ago. Do you think we're the first who would cry out to them to save us?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

"There is far too much work to be done for me to linger here," says Exu, finally sheathing her blade. "I presume there is a basement?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu Liao

"Exit or not, it's better to look than stay and stare at false saviors," says Exu. "Let us go."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu Liao

"I did not listen to your kind above," says Exu, staring at the Ancient. "I will not do so here either. We must away..." she looks around at the pale unfortunates here. Pale as death. "...but I suppose an hour is not something we would miss at this point. I am but a musician. Would you like a song, perhaps?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Exu

"You... you were there?!" says Exu, a look of shock crossing her delicate features. She stops herself for a moment, drilled etiquette kicking in, to politely take Roy's hand and give a little bow over it, murmuring a thanks. "You were in that hell? How did you survive?"

• Locked thread