Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Juniper

Deep in the very center of the forest where the trees themselves begint to look fantastical a hauntingly beautiful melody can be heard. The soft rustling of leaves as someone moves through the forest toward the sound of music, of laughter and mirth. Dancing lights can be seen ahead. Shimmering and shining in many colors.
Many of the lights change even as the figure moves through the dense brush. Twirling, swirling, zigging and zagging. Tinkling bells of laughter of mirth. The figure bursts out into a clearing dominated by a massive circle of strange forest mushrooms. Stopping before stepping over the circle of small mushrooms the figure gasps for breath and exclaims.

"Juniper! Juniper! Have you heard? The Lady Cassia is going to be leaving!"

The lights circle and jig, bouncing up and down as they go. One separates from the dance, changing colors as it moves closer. It flits up to the girl, twirls and flies upside down.

"Now now little one who ever are you talking about?"

The girl huffs. Her slightly pointed ears vibrating in indignation. "You know who I am talking about! I am talking about Cassia Nightingale Valendrien! The daughter of the Viscountess. And why do you call me little one? I am a lot bigger than you! I don't think I was ever as small as you!"

The tiny figure, his gossamer wings, dandelion hair, and shimmering eyes all changing colors as he moves laughs a tinkling bell laugh. He settles upon her head "Oh little Amber big you may be. But little to me. You will always be little in my heart. But whoever do you mean? I know no Cassia Nightingale Valendrien. Nor any Viscountess. Far too stuffy sounding."

The girl stamps her foot, and knocks the pixie off her head. "You know who I mean. I know you do. You told me stories about how you used to care for her like me, when her mother wasn't looking. How many noble wizards are even around here."

Juniper zips around and taps the girl's nose. "Ah now here we go. The girl with the wizard's hat. Quite fetching. You are speaking of little Cassi. Now why didn't you say? Yes much fun was had with her when her mother wasn't watching. Pity she grew so much. Not like my little Amber, yes?"

The girl steps back aghast. "Juniper! You can't call her that. She is a lady!"

Tinkling laughter. "She is a girl. A wizard in training. And quite a bit of fun. But a lady? What is a lady? Hee hee hee."

He zips around. "So little Cassie is leaving? So soon? So soon? Is it soon? And where goes this lady who has you aquiver with admiration?"

The girl blushes. "I don't know what you are talking about. And she is going to Camp Bluegrass. It is apparently something called a summer camp where people from all over come together to learn and bond and do all kinds of group activities. And Lady Cassia chose to go to this place herself!"

The pixie smiles at the girls reaction. He flits back, swirls around the mushroom circle, and then stops, one leg crossed over the other as he sits in the air, his tiny wings beating furiously to keep him in place. He places a finger along his chin. "Hmm a camp, a camp, a camp? What can this camp be? And little Cassie is going all alone? To get along with others? Hmm hmm hmm. Hee hee hee. This sounds fun! I believe I shall go as well!"

"Juniper! You can't go!" The girl shouts, causing the other pixies to shiver in place then fly off, the fun long gone. "You are a pixie. You aren't a noble, or even an elf or human. You are too small, and uh. You, well, you are a pixie. You know what people think about pixies?"

Juniper begins zipping around, wagging a finger at the girl. "Now, now, fun is to be had. I can't stay here if little Cassie is going out into the world to this camp thing. Now could I?"

He comes to a stop in front of the girl. Standing straight. "I Prince Juniper Briarthorn Maplesap Nettle Thistledown Hazelwood Sparrowhawk swear to you my dearl lady Amber that I will be on my very best behavior as I enjoy this summer camp. Yes." Solemn, with a deep and dignified bow.

The girl is caught off guard by this performance, and these words. So unlike the Juniper she knows. But in a moment she collects herself. And blurts out. "You aren't any of those things! You are just a pixie! And you can't be on your best behavior. Just the other day you put a slug down my dress!"

Still solemn the pixie looks up. "And a magnificent slug it was. Very well bred. Full and slimy. A truly princely slug. I would use nothing less on my little Amber." Then a cheshire grin breaks out, ruining the solemn act. The pixie begins to shake. Then begins to laugh the tinkley bell like laugh. Then begins to roll around in the air.

"Such a magnificent slug. And your shriek? So beautiful. My dear little Amber. I shall miss you while I am away. But I shall return and when I do I will have stories. Stories of camp and stories of little Cassie working so hard to get along with others. You always did love my stories. Particularly about little Cassie." He begins to giggle again. "Ah but your reactions to my little pranks. To think you had never heard about replacing a wand with a stick insect. Hee hee."

He flies up to the girl, and pats her head. "Do not cry little Amber. I am many things. Mischievous and fool hardy. Kind and cruel. Childish? Of course! I am a Pixie! But there is one thing above all others. I care for my little ones. And I will watch over them. So I promise to return to you. And I will see to it that little Cassie returns to you as well. And perhaps you can gather up the courage to speak to her, if we can get her away from her mother for a time."

He moves down, and wipes some tears from the girl's face. A gentleness at odds with his earlier mantic mirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread