Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

First off, a few disclaimers/warnings:

• For your own mental well-being, do not spend too much time reading this thread and the stories posted within it.

• Post clear descriptions of the stories you are linking, with warnings of any kind of graphic depictions of said horrible things happening. Do not just post blind links without context.

• POC posters are of course welcome to contribute stories to this thread, but this thread is primarily for the yt folks who see a hosed up news story somewhere and think that pointing it out in the POC forum earns them some kind of ally points or something. If your life is in a bad place, please do not read the stories shared in this thread because the last thing that anyone posting in this sub-forum should want is to do anything that makes your life harder than it already is.

• This is not the Trauma Support thread, that thread is over here. PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IN THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HELP.

Life as a minority in the US is scary enough without the reminders that people have been posting in various TGRS threads lately. The hope I have in posting this thread is that it will give the people who cannot resist sharing those horrible stories a place to aggregate them and free other threads up for more uplifting/useful discussions.

Feel free to argue about the utility of this thread within this thread, please do not poo poo up other threads arguing about the existence of this one.

What kind of stories are we supposed to share, exactly?

Any story where something hosed up is happening to minorities in the US (or elsewhere in the world) and there is no justice brought to those that perpetrated said hosed up things. If you see a hosed up story being posted elsewhere in TGRS, please quote it here and drop a line to the poster that shared it in the other thread to come here to discuss it.

Note: Social media outrage after the fact and some white person losing their job is not Justice when PoCs are losing their lives as a result of racist white people and systemic racism making Law Enforcement into a meat grinder for anyone that is not white.

What kind of stories are we not supposed to share here?

Uplifting and positive stories. Those should be shared in the appropriate thread elsewhere in this forum. If you post a positive/uplifting story here, please be sure to cross-post it in the other appropriate threads (without linking back to a post in this thread).

This includes controversial movies about racism and racial themes, with the only exception to this rule being to share a story about some film that glorifies racism and reinforces things like Lost Cause propaganda or Nazism.

No, really, why are you posting this thread?

Because while it may be tempting to at the PoC-designated subforum as a way to interact with PoC posters on SA, constantly putting the onus on educating yourself about why/how racism still affects PoCs at every step of every day of their lives is just one more piece of bullshit they shouldn't have to deal with.

Why is this thread different? Because the intent here is to be a place where white people on SA can learn about all of the myriad hosed up ways that life really is so much more hostile if you aren't white.

Those stories posted below this OP (eventually)? Imagine if the victims in those stories were white (please note that this is not an invitation to post the once-in-a-blue-moon story where a white person is treated the way PoC's are treated every single day).

EDIT to add this:

Stories about a movie/play/TV show/etc. being white-washed so that characters that were originally a PoC are replaced by white characters is also in keeping with this thread.

biracial bear for uncut fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 15:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

To start things off, here is the story about Lolade Siyonbola, the Yale student that was harassed by police because she had the nerve to take a nap in the common student area and it upset a white girl.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/black-stu...ory?id=55141393

Also, because the above article references it, read up on Sandra Bland and how a simple traffic violation escalated to her being driven to suicide while in custody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Sandra_Bland

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...bi-surveillance

The FBI jailed a black activist without bail on charges that are ultimately dismissed, due to facebook posts like "the only good cop is a dead cop"

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

gerrymandered the steak

i remember when that rear end in a top hat white guy from cracker country ohio belittled, gaslit and humiliated me and told me to stop scaremongering about "roving neo-nazi death squads" (e.g. poo poo just like this, or the ICE gestapo) the morning after the election

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i remember when that rear end in a top hat white guy from cracker country ohio belittled, gaslit and humiliated me and told me to stop scaremongering about "roving neo-nazi death squads" (e.g. poo poo just like this, or the ICE gestapo) the morning after the election

Oh, it's worse than that.

Check this out.

http://fashmaps.com/2018/01/28/dail...zing-in-the-us/

Just look at that loving concentration of known Nazi organized meetings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
:gas;

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Oh, it's worse than that.

Check this out.

http://fashmaps.com/2018/01/28/dail...zing-in-the-us/

Just look at that loving concentration of known Nazi organized meetings.

I’ll admit to being sceptical of any map of fascist meetings that doesn’t have any hits in France.

Weird that the Daily Stormer apparently doesn’t have much penetration in Canada, though - wonder who they have instead?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I’ll admit to being sceptical of any map of fascist meetings that doesn’t have any hits in France.

Weird that the Daily Stormer apparently doesn’t have much penetration in Canada, though - wonder who they have instead?

If it's only about overt nazis, that makes sense because they're illegal in France.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Numero6 posted:

If it's only about overt nazis, that makes sense because they're illegal in France.

You’d have to have an incredibly narrow definition of ‘overt Nazi’ to buy that, considering that the Front National is now the National Popular Rally again.

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's probably because they aren't set up to track posts on forums catering to those areas. I'm sure they exist, it's just that Daily Stormer apparently has a much heavier presence in the US than elsewhere.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

I have a question for black people in the US if anyone has experience in this area and wants to answer: racism with taxis vs Uber/Lyft/et al.

Back when Uber was still young, I remember reading a bunch of posts on the internet about how much better it was for black people because taxis were racist as hell and nearly impossible to hail while black, while Uber was relatively color-blind, or at least seemed to be. But now I've seen there was a study in 2016 demonstrating racism and sexism on Uber's platform; while the degree of racism doesn't sound as bad as the taxi horror stories I've heard, it made me want to, I dunno, get more info? So yeah, I'm curious what people's experiences have been like, if they have more/fewer problems with "ridesharing" apps vs traditional taxis.

Here's an article on the study I mentioned for anyone curious: https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...r-rides/506000/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to rule them all,
One Potato to find them,
One Potato to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

Bread Liar

The sheer loving cruelty of this just beggars belief.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new neck.

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty clearly the site is only being passed around the Anglophone world.

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

GOD DAMNIT!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/...ct-florida.html

Jury Leaves $4 to Family of Man Killed by Sheriff’s Deputy, Along With Many Questions posted:

For more than four years, questions swirled about the shooting death of Gregory Vaughn Hill Jr. at his home in Fort Pierce, Fla. After all, there were only three witnesses to how the entire episode unfolded: two St. Lucie County sheriff’s deputies and Mr. Hill.

Mr. Hill, a 30-year-old African-American, was fatally shot by a white sheriff’s deputy who had responded to a noise complaint about music Mr. Hill had been playing in his garage. Toxicology reports showed Mr. Hill was drunk at the time. And after a brief encounter with the deputies, he was discovered dead inside the garage with a gun in his back pocket; the deputies said he had been holding it during their confrontation, though that claim is in dispute. Mr. Hill had been shot three times by one of the deputies, Christopher Newman.

Among other things, a federal jury hearing a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by Mr. Hill’s family was asked to decide whether his constitutional rights had been violated and whether his estate should be awarded damages. How much, jurors were asked, were the pain and suffering of Mr. Hill’s three children worth?

Last week, the jurors delivered their verdict. Deputy Newman had not used excessive force, they concluded, but the St. Lucie County sheriff, Ken Mascara, had been ever so slightly negligent given Deputy Newman’s actions. The jury awarded $4 in damages: $1 for funeral expenses and $1 for each child’s loss.

Because jurors also found that the sheriff’s office was only 1 percent at fault in the death, that award was reduced to four cents. And furthermore, because jurors found that Mr. Hill was intoxicated and mostly to blame for the shooting, a lawyer for his family said Tuesday that a judge would reduce the four-cent award to nothing.

“I don’t get it,” the family lawyer, John M. Phillips, said.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Mr. Hill’s fiancée, Monique Davis, said. “There are a lot of questions I want to ask.”

So far, Ms. Davis and Mr. Phillips said, they have not gotten any answers. Mr. Phillips said jurors did not stay after the verdict last week to speak with lawyers and have not approached him since. Through a spokeswoman, Judge Robin L. Rosenberg declined to comment on the case or release any information about the jurors.

In a statement posted on Facebook after the verdict, Sheriff Mascara said his office was “pleased to see this difficult and tragic incident come to a conclusion.”

“Deputy Newman was placed in a very difficult situation, and like so many fellow law enforcement officers must do every day, he made the best decision he could for the safety of his partner, himself, and the public given the circumstances he faced,” he said. “We appreciate the jury’s time and understanding.”

A lawyer representing Sheriff Mascara and Deputy Newman did not respond to an email seeking comment.

The lawsuit was filed in 2016 by Mr. Hill’s mother, Viola Bryant, on behalf of his estate. Mr. Phillips said that although he had deferred to the jury, he had signaled in court that the estate was seeking at least several hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

Mr. Phillips said that a grand jury did not bring criminal charges against Deputy Newman.

Court documents lay out what happened on Jan. 14, 2014. Around 3 p.m., a mother picking children up from an elementary school heard loud music coming from the garage of a home nearby. She called in a noise complaint, and two St. Lucie County sheriff’s deputies — Deputy Newman and Edward Lopez — responded. When they arrived at Mr. Hill’s home, the garage door was closed; they banged on it, and eventually it opened to reveal Mr. Hill.

Whether Mr. Hill, who worked at a Coca-Cola factory and had a history of serious traffic offenses, was holding a gun and whether he was ordered to drop it are in dispute.

Regardless, the garage door was eventually closed, and Deputy Newman fired four times through it, striking Mr. Hill once in the head and twice in the abdomen. The entire episode took less than two minutes.

Eventually, a SWAT team arrived, released chemical agents into the home and used a robot to pierce the garage door and photograph the inside. The authorities then realized Mr. Hill was dead.

The only gun recovered was found in Mr. Hill’s back pocket and was not loaded. Lawyers have argued about whether it was possible for Mr. Hill to have moved the gun to his pocket after the garage door closed.

Toxicology reports revealed that Mr. Hill’s blood-alcohol content was several times the legal limit to drive.

According to a verdict form, the jury found that Mr. Hill was responsible for 99 percent of the negligence in the case.

Mr. Phillips said he would have preferred for the jury to have found that there was no negligence than to have found that there was and awarded such paltry damages.

“I think they were trying to insult the case,” Mr. Phillips said of the jury. “Why go there with the $1? That was the hurtful part.”

Eight hours into a 10-hour deliberation the jury indicated that it was unable to reach a verdict. Mr. Phillips said some appeared visibly “incensed” and red in the face.

Still, they were sent back to continue deliberating; eventually, the jury said they had a verdict.

“There was a tug of war somewhere in there,” Ms. Davis, 35, said. “And then everybody’s mind changed to one? Something went on.”

Mr. Phillips added, “It seems like jurors gave up.”

He said he was drafting a motion for a new trial. If the motion is denied, he said, he will file an appeal.

“I’m going to keep fighting until I get some justice,” said Ms. Davis, who had planned to marry Mr. Hill less than two months from the day he died. “That’s the only way I’m going to get peace.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

He was in his own garage, shut the door and the cops murdered him through the closed door by firing blindly through it.

And they're hoping to reduce that to zero on appeal. America has finally decided on the value of the life of a black man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not the smoothest fit for this thread, but I think it sort of counts - a useful, shareable one-click resource on why colonialism sucked.

Koalas Massacre
May 21, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

He was in his own garage, shut the door and the cops murdered him through the closed door by firing blindly through it.

And they're hoping to reduce that to zero on appeal. America has finally decided on the value of the life of a black man.

Worth more as slaves. Smdh

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can I just add... The word "eventually" and the phrase "the entire episode... Less than 2 minutes" appear in the same paragraph?

loving. What.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to find them,

Bread Liar

I also forgot to add "discovered dead inside his home" was actually:

"after shooting blindly through a closed garage door, cops called SWAT who flooded the house with tear gas after the man was already dead."

And all because some white mom heard The Rap while waiting at a bus stop to pick up her kid.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

a thousand smackeroos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

quote:

https://abc13.com/hpd-teens-story-a...t-true/3560270/

Houston Police: Teen's story about being abducted by white supremacists wasn't true

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Houston police say there is no evidence to support the claims made by a teenager that white supremacists abducted him, injured him and threatened him.

We first brought you this story last month when 13-year-old Zavion Parker claimed he was grabbed by an adult and four young men after stepping off his school bus.

But after a thorough investigation, the Houston Police Department now says the events as described did not occur, that the property Parker described had nothing to do with any crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

Lets make a Panda!

$5 says we'll never be told that the four men that kidnapped that kid were Houston police officers.