Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
lol that americans expect kids to learn math when half their parents are one paycheck away from being in the street

also lol that they then put the blame on the teachers for "just not being good enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If I pay you $60k year to show YouTube videos to kids and drone off PowerPoints while handing out busy work it doesn't matter if I pay you all at once on January 1st or pay you literally every day you are still making $60k/yr. What grade do you teach? LMAO

still lolling at the idea that a human being believes that every teacher in the united states of america makes at least 60k a year

you are a loving retard

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Damo posted:

still lolling at the idea that a human being believes that every teacher in the united states of america makes at least 60k a year

you are a loving retard

And the few states that do have that kind of average mysteriously tend to be among the better ones for education? :wth:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

numberoneposter posted:

id send the kids home if they didnt have their own stationary set

i praise you teachers but you gotta stop taking on jobs that arnt your own

The problem is that there is a slow slide happening in a lot of school boards, where they have to take on more and more roles that parents should be (or are are incapable of) doing. School breakfast and lunch programs in some boards are getting to the point where parents who have the time, and can afford to give their kids a breakfast and make them a lunch are just sending them to school because, "why spend my own money, when the school will feed my kids?". The programs that were started for kids who don't have food at home usually has just enough money to take care of that minority, but lazy indifferent parents have placed additional financial burden on school boards.

Supplies are sliding as well. It's pretty much standard practice to sent a letter or email to parents when they register their kids that says, "they will need a binder or two, pencil crayons, a calculator, and some pencils and pens, and a ream of lined paper. A lot of students show up day one with nothing, and the school (or teacher) ends up providing it. Sure a box of pencils isn't much, but when you have to provide all of those supplies (multiple times because students lose, break or waste them at an incredible rate). That $250 a year credit can get eaten up before December if you've got 30 kids and half of them are requiring a full top-up every month.

Also, education is one of the first things to get cut when someone wins a state election and promises to lower or freeze taxes. Education falls under the states/provinces for the majority of their funding, and teachers are an easy target, as most people only remember not liking school and seeing teachers as "fat cat, work half a year" scapegoats. The problem is that teacher's unions are pretty good at holding on to what they have already, so the "tax cuts" end up coming straight out of the schools, resulting in larger class sizes, fewer supplies, and more run-down schools that hurt kids.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

numberoneposter posted:

id send the kids home if they didnt have their own stationary set

i praise you teachers but you gotta stop taking on jobs that arnt your own

Entire lesson plans can fart out if kids don't have certain supplies on that day(s), and just straight up having one or more kid sitting there doing absolutely nothing for a whole period is a huge big no no.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
they should use math to teach kids how to count calories like what the gently caress

why in a country with a childhood obesity epidemic should any word problem not be about hitting your macros

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LegoPirateNinja posted:

why in a country with a childhood obesity epidemic should any word problem not be about hitting your macros

Billy: **_-_-KYS-_-_**
Trevon: ()()()You know what time it is...SPAM TIME!!!!1!()()()
Trisha: >>>Watch out, Terrorists just got *-* The Motherflippin' COOTIES NINJA!! *-*<<<

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Both have their uses. I learned longform growing up, but I realize that that mostly when I do mental calculations I mostly use the box form (never knew it by any name) as its simply and intuitive to do in your head. Longform is better for decimal numbers and such though.

Having studied mathematics in university I have definitely gotten worse at mental calculations though, all that time spent with no numbers, math and arithemtic have basically become almost separate concepts in my mind.

e: You forgot algebra from favorites in the poll. Having done some subsititute teaching I find teaching kids math is actually really hard for me, because my first instinct for explaining and understanding anything is to use algebra. Schools in schools in my country do a pretty terrible job of teaching algebra.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 17, 2018

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

but seriously what is that chinese poo poo all about

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Lattice method might be a better algorithm on paper, but as far as I can tell it's making kids huge retards because they can't translate it to mental math at all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mulaney Power Move posted:

air abacus

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

EorayMel posted:

Do you remember any of the story techniques he used? This sounds like a super interesting method.

It was ages and ages ago and I don't remember any trig, but I got a decent grade at the time so I'll try. Part of it was that he made the lesson the story. You start off with the basic functions you're going to need and then it starts into some of the applications, and then you get to just this beautiful mess of a problem and you're like holy gently caress what the hell am I supposed to do with this thing? But then you just start poking at it the way you did the previous problems and it starts unfolding and you're like: cool, ok. This is how and why I needed to know the stuff I learned. Then the problems get into why you want to go to all this bother and by then the hard part's over so it's kinda neat and fun and, like, why we do math I guess.

Another part was that he didn't obfuscate the math behind how many more baseball cards some kid has or what color which train is. So like problem 5 is: Johnny knows he needs to do X Y Z to get N, and if he knows N he can do A and B, so if N is 5 what is A and B? But then a different problem might be asking how the hell do I solve N? And you're like poo poo was it X Y Z or Y Z X or AB? But then you remember problem 5 mentioned it, and it says do X Y Z, so that's what you do. Like he baked a set of notes into the test, it really takes away a lot of the anxiety and makes math feel a lot less rote and more like gathering data and applying it to get results you want.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

OldAlias posted:

this poo poo is bait. just don’t penalize students for coming across a correct solution, whatever it is. teachers missing the forest for the trees poisons a lot of minds off math and makes people think they’re bad at it, but that’s a fake idea, it’s a failure of pedagogy

I wonder if teachers realize that poo poo like this (penalizing kids for getting the right answer but using the "wrong method") kills whatever interest a student might have in how math and numbers work, and instead teaches them to just memorize directions and not think.

My problem with math in school was that I learned via that "memorize the directions to solve the problem" method, and then when presented with different problems I'd always get confused as to which of my memorized directions I was supposed to follow.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 17, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

VelociBacon posted:

Subtraction getting owned nobody likes loving subtraction if you a sub u a sub.

Multiplication is the best that's why you can write it in a hundred different ways like ZxY, (z)(y), z*y, Z•Y

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It’s the same as the lattice method in the OP only you don’t have to do multiply the digits because that is done by the lines intersecting.

• Locked thread