Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BONE DOG posted:

Give the kids calculators why clog your brain with tedious bullshit with no real world application

lol just lol if you can't reverse engineer high level math in your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elderbean posted:

I'm pretty sure 90 percent of the people bitching about common core math are just olds who hate new things.

i take issue with common core because it's riddled with extraneous corpo language bullshit. it doesn't carry over to, or even teach, established terminology so there's gonna be this huge language divide between people who call it a Divisor and people who call it a Cooperative Deconstruction Informer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dogmeat posted:

is there a smilie that is like :goonsay: but instead it's a minion? because if there is someone should quote your post and use the minion smilie that makes it look like it's a minion that is saying your post

i'm so sorry for your ororrhea

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neophyte posted:

college me:

:downs: "I should be a math major! Freshman math wasn't hard! I'm smart!"

i tried to get into the physics program but couldn't get high enough marks in calculus :downs:

but i got to smoke way more weed going into the linguistics dept :420:

seriously though even if you're doing really basic low-level programming you need to understand math inside and out. you can't even program basic video game pathfinding without being able to write a modular trigonometric formula

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok fair enough but my point is that it's unrealistic to suggest that math doesn't have real-world applications, and mental math is good practice for solving logic puzzles and developing critical thinking skills.

implementing and troubleshooting netplay without understanding how to crunch even basic math in your head? not bloody likely

• Locked thread