Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I was fine until it got up to multiplying matrices and such. It felt like pulling teeth. Luckily com sci math stopped at that point or I'd have flunked from migraines.

Or just plain flunked. My brain isn't big enough to see it as anything other then disconnected and abstract. I found that demoralising.

I managed to get through almost all my undergrad without a graphing calculator and just the basic scientific ones. Then my orbital mechanics class my senior year started requiring multiplication of 3 3x3 rotation matrices for coordinate transformations. It wasn't hard math but just so time consuming to do on tests. And then my composites classes required 6x6 matrices for stress-strain conversions. Not hard math but a pain in the rear end to do on a test when the professor writes the exam thinking everyone is going to be using a graphing calculator that you can just plug 9 numbers into some open & closed brackets and push enter.

The box method is cool to do in your head and I think alot of people just intuitively do it as a way of rounding to make numbers easier to work with. The lattice method is neat but I would hate to be forced to do it in order to receive credit for a correct answer. It seems like the biggest problem with common core principles isn't that the method is wrong or bad, just different, but that you HAVE to do it that way or you don't get credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread