Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

I feel like I've seen some weird poo poo where they were like
what's 5 x 8?
well, think of it this way,: 5 8's is a lot like 5 10's, which is 50, and 10 minus 8 is 2, and 2 times 5 is 10, and 50 minus 10 is 40
so 40!

and some facebook dad was like WHAT. WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT.

This kind of thing is useful for doing math in your head that goes beyond times tables. So for example you could break 15x15 down into 15x10 which is easy and then just add 15x5, which you could further break down into 10x5 plus 5x5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Teachers should be the highest paid profession after doctors, IMO.

i think you mean after computer janitors.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Grimey Drawer

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I was fine until it got up to multiplying matrices and such. It felt like pulling teeth. Luckily com sci math stopped at that point or I'd have flunked from migraines.

Did they not require linear algebra? We had to take it for my program and itís a must know for many CS fields, anything from machine learning, to graphics, to even something like search engines. Linear algebra takes some time to get used to, but it is really cool when you get the hang of it!

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

but seriously what is that chinese poo poo all about

Itís the same as the lattice method in the OP only you donít have to do multiply the digits because that is done by the lines intersecting.