Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
  • Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Imagine growing a flower

Buglord

so most of us are used to multiplying like this on the left, but apparently they're teaching kids multiplication with cubes and stuff?

what in the world is any of this weird stuff

and then my coworker says the Chinese use a super different way to multiply and it looks like pickup sticks which is a game i never learned how to play anyway?

maybe you weird STEM goons knew this all along and im the idiot, after all I majored in what was basically woke underwater basketweaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Imagine growing a flower

Buglord

Jon Joe posted:

That box method is the obvious way to do maths quicker? Heck, if you donít already have the value memorized you can go even faster by multiplying it in values of 10 and adding e.g. 23x7 becomes 70+70+21=161

look theres only one vote submitted in my poll and I have every reason to believe its you who voted incorrectly.

I remember having to do timed tests where we had to know all our values up to 12x12. Its weird how useful that is to this day. We had to learn it to a math themed country music song.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Imagine growing a flower

Buglord

Damo posted:

holy poo poo you are a retard. this thread is a great honeypot to out complete gently caress face moron assholes

lol 250 dollar a year tax credit for supplies. you obviously don't know a single loving working teacher. gently caress, not even just teachers. my wife works in behavioral therapy and works with one kid at a time, let alone 30+, and easily spends more than 250 bucks a year on supplies.

have you ever even taken care of a single child, let alone 30 for 8+ hours? sure longshoreman blah blah work hard, but saying teachers don't is just the most ignorant retardation. longshoreman also are done at the end of the day, and don't need to do a shitload of stuff at home. also, last time I checked, but shipping crates don't have retarded rear end in a top hat parents to deal with constantly or pta meetings and the like. also you don't have to attend dozens of social functions for shipping crates, a lot of which you are probably not even paid for.

also how much money do you think most teachers make? hint: it isn't even close to 60k a year like that bullshit graph stated

i had a post drafted similar to this but with less pizzazz so thanks for doing the good work.

• Locked thread