Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Yams Fan

Ort posted:

Box method is always how I do math in my head, heck yeah teach kids that I just had to figure it out on my own.

let it mellow posted:

yeah 7x23 is 7x20 + 7x3 but imo teaching the boxes thing doesn’t teach u to learn that on ur own

idk I learned the old way and then one day I learned in algebra or sex Ed or something how things worked and then I saw the easy mental way to do math

Jon Joe posted:

That box method is the obvious way to do maths quicker? Heck, if you don’t already have the value memorized you can go even faster by multiplying it in values of 10 and adding e.g. 23x7 becomes 70+70+21=161

what these guys said, even though they disagree a little bit

I didn't learn the box method but it's... closer to what's actually going on?
like, the tens place, represents an amount of tens, so with ones it makes tens, with other tens it makes hundreds
carrying/displacing is a functional abstraction of that and I'm glad I know it but I could see why they would think removing the abstraction would make it more intuitive for young learners, and I could also see why adults who learned the other way would have trouble with it and how that might cause problems for parents, and I could also see why people might be concerned it would prevent children from making the leap to the less abstract meaning for themselves

which isn't to say I don't have an opinion, my opinion is I really, REALLY hope they experimentally tried this out on a small amount of children and it was proven to be effective under rigorous scrutiny
like as opposed to just some loving cabesa grande managed to talk some dummies in positions of power into upending the existing standards because it just seems like a good idea BECAUSE THERE ARE THINGS HUMAN BEINGS MISS AND YOU HAVE TO BE REALLY CAREFUL BEFORE CHANGING SOMETHING THAT WORKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Yams Fan

Dogmeat posted:

they still do this too, a quick glance at the lattice method shows you itís a way to multiply larger numbers, but you still need to know your times tables through 9.

I feel like I've seen some weird poo poo where they were like
what's 5 x 8?
well, think of it this way,: 5 8's is a lot like 5 10's, which is 50, and 10 minus 8 is 2, and 2 times 5 is 10, and 50 minus 10 is 40
so 40!

and some facebook dad was like WHAT. WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

didn't they try a new math between New Math and Common Core?

I'm pretty sure there was an episode of the cosby show where one of the kids was doing math in base 12, and bill cosby was like humpty-dooooo this is all a bit much for me

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

Dogmeat posted:

yeah that's a great example of why it's bad to just teach the method without any understanding. It's really useful but some guys who I suppose only learned long form can't handle a little subtraction in a multiplication problem or something.
right I just meant I'm not sure they still memorize the times tables

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

Elukka posted:

All of these methods though are really just algorithms for doing the same thing

I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a really interesting point

it reminds me of uh
like they say if you ask people who are natively bilingual which language they think in in their head, they say it's not really either, it's just this pure form of meaning that gets translated into either language when it needs to be communicated
like that
like math is concept, and what we learn are ways of giving it form, and it can help the concept take root and it can also help the concept process faster

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

your friend a dog posted:

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

idk man I remember what I was like as a kid and I drat sure wouldn't want to put up with 30 of me, let alone 30 of neil. fuckin neil.

Dogmeat posted:

New Math was a curriculum which is the day to day how to teach it kind of thing, and Common Core is an attempt at creating a federal standard of when kids should know what. It doesn't mean you're getting good textbooks from the University of Chicago, kids in the south are still getting weird Texas textbooks so all the same your results may vary.

Should be done by grade 3, according to common core. Though in my experience they kids are done with it before Christmas, most of them probably before Halloween. I mean don't forget you gotta know your times tables before you can even do the long form method.

oh ok

thank you, I guess I could have looked that up lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

Blue Train posted:

math is an arabic terrorist plot, America cowtows to the Saudis by not calling Al Jabra by it's real name

lol

is algebra arabic? wasn't the middle east the "cradle of civilization" for a couple centuries or something, and that's why we use arabic numerals?

I'm just going to keep asking questions that I could just google the answer to
does algebra come from the same root as algae? why does my dog look at me when he poops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yams Fan

Damo posted:

cause he knows you have to pick up his poop and he is assuring you that he, indeed, is the master

since, you know, you pick up his literal poo poo on a daily basis

he's a good boy

Blue Train posted:

Yes yes no yes

thx