Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Ort posted:

Box method is always how I do math in my head, heck yeah teach kids that I just had to figure it out on my own.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

UK primary schools taught the box method for multiplying like 35 years ago, how were you taught to multiply in the US in primary school?

The way we did it in the early 90s/late 80s was straight rote memorization of times tables up to 12 lmao, altho obviously they taught the carrying poo poo as well

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

That's because the average teacher is an overpaid loving moron. Most teachers I've met have the skills of a Walmart grocery bagger but whine and moan they're not making a six figure income. Pointing out they don't work any holiday, half of December and the entire summer typically doesn't go over well.

How much do you make? because you are extremely fuckin stupid

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

your friend a dog posted:

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

ah so that's why you ended up retarded, sorry about your piss poor schooling

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

nice dick... bitch..... at least i can long form... wont be needin that for ur penis

Your ellipses need work

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Cubone posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a really interesting point

it reminds me of uh
like they say if you ask people who are natively bilingual which language they think in in their head, they say it's not really either, it's just this pure form of meaning that gets translated into either language when it needs to be communicated
like that
like math is concept, and what we learn are ways of giving it form, and it can help the concept take root and it can also help the concept process faster

math is an arabic terrorist plot, America cowtows to the Saudis by not calling Al Jabra by it's real name

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Dogmeat posted:

kids in the south are still getting weird Texas textbooks so all the same your results may vary.

It's not just the south

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

gently caress yea, you're back.

Hi friend

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Running a cash register at a paintball site helped my mental math a ton, kids these days can't practice though, now everyone has ADHD and is retarded.

That's why you pump them fill of speed obv

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

no one really wants to get in trouble and get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

lmfao

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Subtraction multiplication addition all easy it's division that is bs

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Damo posted:

not gonna bother replying to you after this since you have outed yourself as an absolute retard

Dogs function at like a second grade level be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Cubone posted:

lol

is algebra arabic? wasn't the middle east the "cradle of civilization" for a couple centuries or something, and that's why we use arabic numerals?

I'm just going to keep asking questions that I could just google the answer to
does algebra come from the same root as algae? why does my dog look at me when he poops?

Yes yes no yes